Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and Armchair GM talk - XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
I dont think a trade will do much more than hurt the team mentally. This team is hurt in the head.

Most of the kids/guys on the team need to look at themselves and pick up their game. Its a collective effort that needs to happen to change the course of the team.

A couching change would certainly rattle everybodys heads but that I think would be a dumb move since it seems like there is a load of respect for the coach.

Weather the season out. Take the hit. Hope that the kids figure things out and build on any small positive sign of hope.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
at this point I'd trade Wideman for a late 1st if we can even get that.
Huds is getting close to that.

I bet you would.

You take a d-amn playing horrible with 2-years left on his contract (counting this year too) at a $5.25M cap hit and he could only be moved for another poor contract.

Only a contender would be interested on dealing for a guy like Wideman and the fact his contract is not expiring makes him near impossible for any team to fit him into their cap space next year for sure.

You don't get a 1st for that type of player.

Huds is an expiring UFA, apples and oranges.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
I bet you would.

You take a d-amn playing horrible with 2-years left on his contract (counting this year too) at a $5.25M cap hit and he could only be moved for another poor contract.

Only a contender would be interested on dealing for a guy like Wideman and the fact his contract is not expiring makes him near impossible for any team to fit him into their cap space next year for sure.

You don't get a 1st for that type of player.

Huds is an expiring UFA, apples and oranges.

I think it is fully plausible to believe we get a late first for Wideman. What many fans ignore is the fact that when Wideman is slightly sheltered he is an absolute offensive machine. Teams who are heavy with defensive defenceman could truly benefit from having Wideman and would most likely pay the price. Here in Calgary too much is asked of Wideman, almost every game he leads our team in ice time. A late first is no where out of the question. If we retained salary we could potentially get more.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I dont think a trade will do much more than hurt the team mentally. This team is hurt in the head.

Most of the kids/guys on the team need to look at themselves and pick up their game. Its a collective effort that needs to happen to change the course of the team.

A couching change would certainly rattle everybodys heads but that I think would be a dumb move since it seems like there is a load of respect for the coach.

Weather the season out. Take the hit. Hope that the kids figure things out and build on any small positive sign of hope.

Totally depends on the type of trade. A trade where we move Hudler for futures for example. That would definitely change the outlook of the team. I hope we don't make any big moves right now. We would be dealing from a point of weakness no matter what.

Aug 21, 2014
So assuming we go for a teardown. What's the value of our Vets? (Pure futures)

Wideman, 1st + B/C prospect?
Russell, 1st + B/C prospect?
Hudler, 1st + A/B prospect?
David Jones, 2nd/3rd + C/D prospect?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Wideman is going to be tough to move. If he was having a season like last, he would have had a Yandle-esque return. But the fact he's a major liability in the defensive end and that he's not putting together a major offensive campaign. Now, I could see his contract being really difficult to move.

Russ and Hudler have the move value. Each would garner a first; Hudler would probably get a good prospect too. Jones is putting together an awesome season, like honestly, if he keeps this up, by the deadline, you're talking about a 20 goal, big, speedy power forward. He might get more than you'd think.

Deleted member 250185

I'm starting to think it was a serious mistake not moving at least one of Hudler, Wideman, or Russell after the season they all had last year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm starting to think it was a serious mistake not moving at least one of Hudler, Wideman, or Russell after the season they all had last year.

They probably tried with Wideman, but moving Hudler or Russell could've really messed with the team and sent a message. I don't think it was a mistake- I think it was something they couldn't realistically do.

Aug 21, 2014
Wideman is going to be tough to move. If he was having a season like last, he would have had a Yandle-esque return. But the fact he's a major liability in the defensive end and that he's not putting together a major offensive campaign. Now, I could see his contract being really difficult to move.

Russ and Hudler have the move value. Each would garner a first; Hudler would probably get a good prospect too. Jones is putting together an awesome season, like honestly, if he keeps this up, by the deadline, you're talking about a 20 goal, big, speedy power forward. He might get more than you'd think.

Alright value isn't totally off. :laugh:

They probably tried with Wideman, but moving Hudler or Russell could've really messed with the team and sent a message. I don't think it was a mistake- I think it was something they couldn't realistically do.

Agreed, I'm assuming he fielded offers for nearly everyone, but trading Hudler would look bad.

Goflames3

Jan 25, 2013
I truly think that the only change that is needed is the coach... in my opinion I believe that Hartley is not maximizing his players enough. He thinks offense offense offense. I still think we have a great defensive corps but with the system they are always caught in the wrong spot and tend to get hemmed into their own end. We don't have enough balance.... geadreau is stuck playing 1 on 5 to much... and other teams know how to shut down our system when the flames are trying to breakout of their own end. This is all my opinion and I think Maclean would be the right coach for this team

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Friedman: “Take A Deep Breath†Flames Fans

On the Calgary Flames being last in the West and what they should do here:

“Honestly, I think put it this way – I think if Brad Treliving (could have) made a trade he’d have done it already. I really believe that. The worst trades you make are the ones you make when you’re desperate.

“I know the people in Calgary are mad. They’re annoyed. I think everybody there needs to take a deep breath and look at the big picture. How many people there really thought Calgary was going to be in the playoffs last year? Very few. So you’re ahead of where you thought you’d be. Now maybe you’re coming back a little bit to earth right now, but my prediction is this: That you’re going to look back someday – and we’re going to find out a trade that maybe Brad Treliving maybe could have made. Maybe it was a week ago. Maybe it was two weeks ago. And eventually it will get out, because these things usually do. And we’re going to look back and we’re going to say in awhile, ‘Thank God that didn’t happen.’

“I believe this – that the reason the Calgary Flames have not made a deal is because they looked at that deal and they said either a) this really isn’t going to help us, or b) we’re really going to regret it.

“I think in the long run, those are the smartest moves you can make. I really do believe a lot o times the best trades you have are the ones that you don’t make.â€

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

I feel like you're overvaluing our players:

Wideman - 2nd + expiring contract. (Market comparable: Wisniewski)
Russell - 2nd + 4th (Market comparable: Petry)
Hudler - 1st
Jones - B prospect or 3rd + 5th.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

As much as we're screaming for change right now, Elliotte is (as usual) correct.

We might all want Wideman or Russell or Hudler traded for picks that will help us down the road, but as of right now, those players probably don't have the kind of value we would expect them to have, and other GMs know that. They're not going to offer a 2nd + prospect for Hudler right now, even if he was top 10 in scoring last year, because he isn't that player currently. He's the equivalent of a plastic bag drifting in the wind right now, and no one is paying the price of top-10 Hudler to get plastic bag-Hudler. The same goes for career-year Wideman and shot-blocker Russell. Neither of those two players are anywhere close to what they were last year.

So I think Elliotte is right on the mark. As unfortunate as it is, if there was a trade that would benefit the Flames, Treliving would have made it by now. He's pretty good at this GM thing, especially when it comes to trades. For now, we just have to ride out the storm.

Aug 21, 2014
I feel like you're overvaluing our players:

Wideman - 2nd + expiring contract. (Market comparable: Wisniewski)
Russell - 2nd + 4th (Market comparable: Petry)

Hudler - 1st
Jones - B prospect or 3rd + 5th.

Probably, but come TDL, defensemen are always in short supply with large demand.

Wideman isn't made of glass like Wiz, and Treliving isn't a moron like MacT.

Hudler and Jones would be hard to gauge because forward values seem to vary year to year.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I still kind of have my doubts we trade Russell. He's grown into a leader for this group and has grown as a player with them, I think if his contract demands are modest he'll be kept around. Can't see us trading all the vets at once, considering the way they've tried to build so far.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Re-signing Russell would be a mistake, especially since there's a good chance Wideman (well his contract) proves to be to hard to move. Wideman provides all the leadership necessary, as prospects can see what he does in the defensive zone and then do the opposite.

A conditional first and a B level prospect is somewhat realistic for Hudler at the deadline. As poorly as he's playing now, he still has 12 points in 17 games; that won't be overlooked.

For Russell, I'm holding out for a 2nd and a 3rd a la Glencross.

A 3rd or 4th would be fine for Jones.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I still kind of have my doubts we trade Russell. He's grown into a leader for this group and has grown as a player with them, I think if his contract demands are modest he'll be kept around. Can't see us trading all the vets at once, considering the way they've tried to build so far.

I don't care if Russell gives the whole team backrubs after every game. The way he is constantly scrambling for the puck in the defensive zone is one of the biggest reasons we're getting so many goals against. This guy needs to be traded, for pretty much anything at this point. I like him as a person, but he's harming us on the ice.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don't care if Russell gives the whole team backrubs after every game. The way he is constantly scrambling for the puck in the defensive zone is one of the biggest reasons we're getting so many goals against. This guy needs to be traded, for pretty much anything at this point. I like him as a person, but he's harming us on the ice.

I mean, the same could be said about Giordano. But Treliving has said, they won't make a panic move, and they won't make a trade that will drastically impact the room dynamic. Russell has been inconsistent this year but so has everyone. You don't trade someone just to trade them. Also, if Wideman proves impossible to move then sure, I don't think we re-sign him, but that's also dependant on his contract demands and if we figure we can replace him for cheaper.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If there's one thing Treliving seems to have, it's a cool head and analytical disposition. I don't have the same fear with him that I did with Sutter and Feaster.

Yup. Both Feaster and Sutter were horrible on the trade front; outside of moving draft picks to pick up other teams scraps (Colborne or Russ). I'd be interested to see what Friedman knows about a tabled deal that the Flames may have walked away from.

It'd be interesting to see how different this team would look with the 'road not taken'.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
i think russell could sign cheap if he continues to play mediocre. I would like to have him as a mainstay in the bottom 3 for the next few seasons if he signs a hometown deal. I think when the team gets up to speed again russell will be very valuable to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad