Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oilers (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Sylvain Rodrigue is the goalie coach in Bako. NHL teams generally don't stand in the way of promotions

He did. Quite a bit. Skinner was in the ECHL and struggling there. Rodrigue took him under his wing and made him an NHL goalie.
Yeah my bad reading comprehension

Reactions: foshizzle

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Latest rumblings on Drai this week:

On the Oil Stream this week Gazzola says well-connected media told him at a recent game that they think Drai is leaving for sure. Tom basically scoffs at this, says Katz will open the vault, mentions that the core of this team and their wives are all very good friends. He says there's a sense that Drai doesn't even know what he wants to do yet, but sounds confident that he'll extend.

Lots of discussion about the situation on Gregor's show yesterday. Questions whether you trade him or not if he won't extend by midsummer. Karius weighs in and says if he doesn't seem ready to extend this summer you already have your answer re: whether he wants to stay or not and you have to trade him. Gregor balks at suggestions of acquiring a number 1 dman for Leon, says that won't happen and that the package would be a decent player, a high-end prospect, and picks.

Most interesting tidbit here was Gregor saying he's not convinced that McDavid leaves if Draisaitl leaves. Mentions Jagr leaving Pittsburgh and Mario playing his whole career there. He doesn't think that it's a both-or-none situation.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Latest rumblings on Drai this week:

On the Oil Stream this week Gazzola says well-connected media told him at a recent game that they think Drai is leaving for sure. Tom basically scoffs at this, says Katz will open the vault, mentions that the core of this team and their wives are all very good friends. He says there's a sense that Drai doesn't even know what he wants to do yet, but sounds confident that he'll extend.

Lots of discussion about the situation on Gregor's show yesterday. Questions whether you trade him or not if he won't extend by midsummer. Karius weighs in and says if he doesn't seem ready to extend this summer you already have your answer re: whether he wants to stay or not and you have to trade him. Gregor balks at suggestions of acquiring a number 1 dman for Leon, says that won't happen and that the package would be a decent player, a high-end prospect, and picks.

Most interesting tidbit here was Gregor saying he's not convinced that McDavid leaves if Draisaitl leaves. Mentions Jagr leaving Pittsburgh and Mario playing his whole career there. He doesn't think that it's a both-or-none situation.
If Draisaitl wants to get paid then I'm sure Edmonton would match any offer he thinks he can get but if he wants to get out of Mcdavid's shadow then he's as good as gone. I could see him wanting to go to Boston to play with Pasta which would be a lethal duo.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
I'm assuming we would want to sign Drai for 8 years?

For ease of salary comparison. If we sign him at 8 x 14, that is 112. Another team can only offer him 7 years.....they'd have to pay him 16/year for the same 112. That extra year on a big contract like his is huge.

There are no guarantees with regards to winning a cup with another team. The fact that we are a contender now will be for the foreseeable future and we have the money to pay him. Unless he just doesn't like it here, I don't know why he would want to leave. He's playing with the best player in the world, who also happens to be his best friend.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

For ease of salary comparison. If we sign him at 8 x 14, that is 112. Another team can only offer him 7 years.....they'd have to pay him 16/year for the same 112. That extra year on a big contract like his is huge.

There are no guarantees with regards to winning a cup with another team. The fact that we are a contender now will be for the foreseeable future and we have the money to pay him. Unless he just doesn't like it here, I don't know why he would want to leave. He's playing with the best player in the world, who also happens to be his best friend.
Draisaitl seems to care about his legacy a lot as he is the main ambassador of German hockey today. I could see him leave in seeing the appeal of being a clear cut #1C best player on a big market eastern team, boosting his profile. But I still say both Drai and McDavid stay here

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Draisaitl seems to care about his legacy a lot as he is the main ambassador of German hockey today. I could see him leave in seeing the appeal of being a clear cut #1C best player on a big market eastern team, boosting his profile. But I still say both Drai and McDavid stay here

To me his legacy is finishing what he started, a Cup in Edmonton. Not "giving up" and leaving to maybe win a cup with another team.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

The problem is how many contenders will have the cap space to fit in 16 million and if it's a sign and trade what key pieces will they be giving up to acquire him? The Oilers would probably be looking for a top pairing RD, top 6 RW or 2C plus picks or prospects for that kind of deal.

Reactions: jeffff

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The problem is how many contenders will have the cap space to fit in 16 million and if it's a sign and trade what key pieces will they be giving up to acquire him? The Oilers would probably be looking for a top pairing RD, top 6 RW or 2C plus picks or prospects for that kind of deal.
There's no way that we would get that for Drai. A team isn't going to boost their cup chances with Drai while subtracting a key piece elsewhere. I suppose we could get a young player with potential to be a 1RD but we'd need the exact perfect situation like a team such as Buffalo having Byram creating a surplus, but except for a team that Drai would want to commit to.
To me his legacy is finishing what he started, a Cup in Edmonton. Not "giving up" and leaving to maybe win a cup with another team.
Perhaps. I see that being McDavid's attitude about it more than Drai. Maybe that's unfair of me.

I do think that both these superstars like being here. There is a good core here and they are friends with each other.

Reactions: Biltmore and jeffff

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
If the Oilers only get picks and prospects for Drai, they can then flip those assets to a team without cap space and acquire the needed players: 1D, 2/3 C/W, and a proven backup goalie. I'd even include Holloway/Broberg etc. in the latter deal to acquire the needed assets. The problem is you need a good GM to pull this off and I'm not sure I'm confident in Jackson/Holland.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
Depressing topic, but it's about that time.

If we had some legit prospects coming up, this would be a lot less stressful.. but what is Drai thinking when he looks at the farm and the help coming in as him and the rest of the core all begin hitting their 30s?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

If we had some legit prospects coming up, this would be a lot less stressful.. but what is Drai thinking when he looks at the farm and the help coming in as him and the rest of the core all begin hitting their 30s?
It's definitely a worthy concern

To me the best solution here if he feels that way is a shorter term, like the Matthews deal.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Personally I'm not going to dwell on Draisaitl or McDavid's future. But will say the glass half full reality is both players can also look positively at their organization as one that has never skimped on their salary expectations, that through leveraging public subsidy have created elite facilities and also player support in all facets, access and engagement with leadership decision making on personnel decisions, pursuit of free agents and retention of cornerstone players to build up critical depth to ice a competitive team. There's been financial investment, by all appearances deep and respectful consideration of their thoughts in building a team around them. A fanbase that is loyal beyond what is really deserved through one of the worst phases of futility in NHL history.

There are substantive, compelling reasons to stay. Worth some considerations of the depth of financial, tangible and intangible investment that continues to be made to treasure their work and as persons.

EDIT: Just too add, both players had options to play at junior age, yet McDavid went as an exceptional talent boy to play in a perceived non-desirable Erie team and Draisaitl to Prince Albert Saskatchewan instead of other options (including possibly holding out for a bigger, more favourable junior city like Portland who've leveraged junior players with options). High character guys by all appearances to go with their on-ice hockey abilities.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Not sure Drai really looks at things like the farm team. The organization will definitely have to lay out their plan though.

That being said I think a cup finals appearance or cup win changes everything.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not sure Drai really looks at things like the farm team. The organization will definitely have to lay out their plan though.

That being said I think a cup finals appearance or cup win changes everything.
I'm pretty sure most players are good students of the game. They would be aware of the future of the team. They might look at it in a different way than fans do though.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I'm pretty sure most players are good students of the game. They would be aware of the future of the team. They might look at it in a different way than fans do though.
Like I said, they will have to lay out their plan.

Having a more proven core who are a bit older (it’s not like they are the penguins) I think goes farther than an AHL team full of studs. There are always teams flush with young talent that never get over the playoff hump.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
And then he goes and signs in SJ. For a lot of these kids the chance to play a bigger role right away is just too hard to resist.
In a way it’s hard to blame them.

When you and I were that age, If we made the NHL, we would have to wait 10 years and 3 contracts to get our NHL payday contract at 30+ years old or so .

Now, the kids especially NCAA sign late, burn a year of ELC, then play 2 more on the ELC then they sign a huge dollar contract while still RFAs as their first non ELC.

It's a different world for a 25 year old NHL player today.

The whole issue of performance bonuses has had a weird impact on the game too. Was listening to Ferraro today and he spoke about how when he was a player and if you sat at 29 goals and needed to hit 30 for a large bonus, you would focus and drive to get that achievement. Nowadays there are none of those bonuses, i can’t help but wonder how that impacts players and play in stretch drives etc.. can’t help but think it promotes an element of “laziness”. They have their guaranteed contracts and now at earlier ages.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
He might see his legacy as getting out from under McDavid's shadow and winning a Cup.

Have you gotten the impression at any point in his career that he's unhappy about "being in McDavid's shadow"? I haven't and I'm not sure where this narrative comes from. I see a star player that gets easily frustrated with the media and opposite of a personality that wants to be further in the spotlight than he already is. I also don't see a situation where playing on a team without McDavid increases his chances of winning a cup. The only teams (and there aren't many) that are clearly better than the Oilers will have nowhere near the cap room necessary to sign him.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Have you gotten the impression at any point in his career that he's unhappy about "being in McDavid's shadow"? I haven't and I'm not sure where this narrative comes from. I see a star player that gets easily frustrated with the media and opposite of a personality that wants to be further in the spotlight than he already is. I also don't see a situation where playing on a team without McDavid increases his chances of winning a cup. The only teams (and there aren't many) that are clearly better than the Oilers will have nowhere near the cap room necessary to sign him.
I don't think there's really any way to know for sure. Maybe he wants a chance to be the #1 guy and get the top wingers. Depending on the market, that role doesn't necessarily come with more of a spotlight either. I just don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to re-sign.

I personally think he'd have a better shot at a Cup away from McDavid. It's going to be tough to build a roster with McDrai on giant contracts and not a single cheap ELC in sight. Any team he would go to is probably going to move major pieces, so cap space to fit him won't be an issue too, IMO.

Reactions: gordonhught

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad