Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Preseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't think many people will argue that Buff is an upgrade on Fayne. My biggest issue is once you sign the deal.

He's going to cost us somewhere around $6.5-6.75M/yr on a 5-6 year deal. After signing the deal, does he go the Dustin Penner 'wheat based drinks' route or does he keep his level of play up?

He'd be a fantastic asset for this team going forward, and one that would very much help us contend for a top-10 finish in the west.

Based on skillset, I can't think of too many better fits and being a RHD is a bonus.
However, I'd be very weary of his effect long term. He has motivation issues and conditioning issues. These things are going to become more glaring as he gets deeper into his 30s.

Beggars can't be choosers so the Oilers might have to take a shot at somebody like Buff but it has the potential to backfire big time especially if they sign him long term.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Based on skillset, I can't think of too many better fits and being a RHD is a bonus.
However, I'd be very weary of his effect long term. He has motivation issues and conditioning issues. These things are going to become more glaring as he gets deeper into his 30s.

Beggars can't be choosers so the Oilers might have to take a shot at somebody like Buff but it has the potential to backfire big time especially if they sign him long term.

I'd probably do it depending on the price to acquire him. At some point we gotta stop being scared of our own shadow and go for it. Sekera-Buff, Klef-Schultz, Nurse-Reinhart going into next season is a fairly robust defense that has the potential to be outstanding.

And reality is some of our young kids won't work out or won't be here in the future. That's the mistake the morons before Chia kept making, waiting for the perfect target, and we never improved.

It may be an albatross down the road, but it's one of those 'deal with it when you get there' type issues. The question becomes do we have the assets to pull it off.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Why do we want Zajac? Schultz has also stepped his game up this year, don't like that trade at all for us.

I agree that he has been much better.

But for all things Schultz, I will henceforth randomly assume that aside from him becoming a lights out top scoring defender.....there is no win here for the Oilers. (aside from having a serviceable puck moving defender for the next two years....:sarcasm:)

You either have to overpay to get Schultz here long-term or you take him to UFA as he he under-performs and becomes Petry 2.0.

Yes this is totally random baseless speculation on "future events that may or may not occur"...and that I don't think he'd sign for long-term under 5 million/yr given what he could get in 2017.

anyway, Larsson has a comparable upside, arguably a better skillset and a much better contract situation. Ipso fatso, disagree there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I hate to say it because I do like RNH, but I think RNH for Seth Jones, once McDavid has had some time to acclimatize to the NHL and Leon is ready for full time NHL duty makes sense.

But that's a long term thing, probably talking about next year's draft.

Buff being 30 already and having weight issues already that are likely to get worse as time goes on is no solution for us.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I hate to say it because I do like RNH, but I think RNH for Seth Jones, once McDavid has had some time to acclimatize to the NHL and Leon is ready for full time NHL duty makes sense.

But that's a long term thing, probably talking about next year's draft.

Buff being 30 already and having weight issues already that are likely to get worse as time goes on is no solution for us.

Is another young D-man really the answer for this team? The guy has played less than 200 games. We need to move away from guys who are trying to establish themselves, as we have enough of that already, we need guys who have established themselves already.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is another young D-man really the answer for this team? The guy has played less than 200 games. We need to move away from guys who are trying to establish themselves, as we have enough of that already, we need guys who have established themselves already.

He will have another season under his belt once this one is done. I'm not saying make this trade today, doubtful Nashville is all that interested right now anyway. Once they fizzle out in the playoffs (provided they do) they probably will have to to own up to needing a no.1 center and then we make our move.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Interestingly, Klefbom, Nurse, Draisaitl and McDavid is the THIRD rebuild since the team hit the skids in 2007.

Rebuild 1: Gagner, Cogliano, Dubnyk, Nilsson, Paarjarvi, Schremp, Gilbert

Rebuild 2: Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Omark, Justin Schultz and Petry

Rebuild 3: Nurse, Draisaitl, McDavid, Lander, Klefbom, Reinhart

Each rebuild has picked up and adopted the ****** attitude of the previous generation. It's no wonder they don't want Nurse and Drai around rebuild 2, they just stink of losing. Not the kind of guys you want to emulate your game after.

IMO, you can't call this Rebuild 3. We still have the main players from Rebuild 2 on the roster, once they start getting moved for draft picks, then you can call this 3.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Been harping on the one dimensional Oilers forwards for years. You can't just throw a bunch of highly skilled players together and expect offense. They have no meat and potatoes to go with their crème brule. The only hope is to beat teams with the Power Play, because this team is still garbage at even strength.

Hall, Eberle, Yak, Fayne, picks and prospects should all be on the table.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Been harping on the one dimensional Oilers forwards for years. You can't just throw a bunch of highly skilled players together and expect offense. They have no meat and potatoes to go with their crème brule. The only hope is to beat teams with the Power Play, because this team is still garbage at even strength.

Hall, Eberle, Yak, Fayne, picks and prospects should all be on the table.

Agreed.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Is anyone actually opposed to trading Hall/Nuge/Eberle/Yakupov?

I wouldn't trade Eberle or RNH . When people was on here pumping Hall's tire I always maintain Eberle would be the better player . I still think when we are ready to contend Eberle is the player to have .

McDeathbyCheerios*

I wouldn't trade Eberle or RNH . When people was on here pumping Hall's tire I always maintain Eberle would be the better player . I still think when we are ready to contend Eberle is the player to have .
We have a lot of left shooting prospects, very few right shots too. Moving Eberle would be catastrophic

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
We have a lot of left shooting prospects, very few right shots too. Moving Eberle would be catastrophic

Unless he was moved for another right hand shot, in which case catastrophe would be averted. Hell maybe move him for a couple RHS that play a more two way game. Something like Eberle for Lazar, Chiasson, and a pick.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Unless he was moved for another right hand shot, in which case catastrophe would be averted. Hell maybe move him for a couple RHS that play a more two way game. Something like Eberle for Lazar, Chiasson, and a pick.

That would suck too though ... Eberle is the only damn forward we have who knows how to finish. Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and yes even McDavid (right now) do not have elite level finish at an NHL level.

That's a big part of the reason why we have problems scoring goals, modern NHL goalies can handle most of our forwards right now without much fuss.

If that was Eberle instead of Hall in front of the net last night, that would be a goal for sure, instead we have to settle for RNH kicking the puck in on a rebound.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Eberle is our biggest offensive catalyst and a big reason our pp has been good. Much rather move someone else.

McDeathbyCheerios*

That would suck too though ... Eberle is the only damn forward we have who knows how to finish. Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and yes even McDavid (right now) do not have elite level finish at an NHL level.

That's a big part of the reason why we have problems scoring goals, modern NHL goalies can handle most of our forwards right now without much fuss.
We can make glorious passes and hem people in but if there is no finish it doesnt matter.

Or if we had guys who crash the net to score...which we also don't have.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Eberle is our biggest offensive catalyst and a big reason our pp has been good. Much rather move someone else.

Can't say I disagree. Eberle is a top PP sniper and an Eberle/McDavid combo will put up serious numbers with the man advantage. I think you build around the centers we have and at most keep 1 of Hall, Eberle, and Yak. Eberle might make the most sense to keep.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's 50+ games out until the trade deadline. I'd give this core group until then. If (note I said "if") showing large improvement by then, I think Yakupov moves first and you seriously look at moving one of Hall or RNH in the summer if the deal is right.

McDeathbyCheerios*

It's 50+ games out until the trade deadline. I'd give this core group until then. If (note I said "if") showing large improvement by then, I think Yakupov moves first and you seriously look at moving one of Hall or RNH in the summer if the deal is right.
To be fair as cant just keep saying, give them more time.

The team makeup is wrong and spending more then half the year watching them struggle just so we can try again next year is a great say go not have anyone wanting to come here or resign.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To be fair as cant just keep saying, give them more time.

The team makeup is wrong and spending more then half the year watching them struggle just so we can try again next year is a great say go not have anyone wanting to come here or resign.

If they are flat out awful, then you move Yakupov around Christmas and then probably Hall at the deadline, but in that scenario we're likely screwed anyway because the trade value of these players is going to go in the toilet.

Hall is coming off a bad, injury riddled season last year, if he plays poorly this year, then trading him is not going to net us a good return.

If they are awful by Christmas, this franchise will probably also have to accept that this rebuild is going to drag on for another few years even with McDavid. It's just the ugly truth of it. They're going to have to effectively start over with McDavid/Draisaitl/Nurse/2016 1st rounder as the new "core".

McDeathbyCheerios*

If they are flat out awful, then you move Yakupov around Christmas and then probably Hall at the deadline, but in that scenario we're likely screwed anyway because the trade value of these players is going to go in the toilet.

Hall is coming off a bad, injury riddled season last year, if he plays poorly this year, then trading him is not going to net us a good return.

If they are awful by Christmas, this franchise will probably also have to accept that this rebuild is going to drag on for another few years even with McDavid. It's just the ugly truth of it.
I think gms can look past one season due to injury. After he came back he was great playing with ahlers. He is a valued commodity in the league and moving him is our best chance at getting something of value. We could sit and hope people get better but we have done that for 9 years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think gms can look past one season due to injury. After he came back he was great playing with ahlers. He is a valued commodity in the league and moving him is our best chance at getting something of value. We could sit and hope people get better but we have done that for 9 years.

You're not going to get what you think if he's playing poorly. As in straight up I think Nashville will say no to Hall for Seth Jones. They will want RNH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad