Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Preseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Matt Irwin is on waivers today, he had an awful opening game for Boston, but played well under McLellan in San Jose.

Can't be any worse than Ference, and send down Davidson where he can play.

Adding to the glut of suspect defensemen isn't the way to improve the defense. Reinhart is the guy at #6 right now and Davidson is rightfully #7. Matt Irwin isn't going to unseat either of those guys. We should be looking for a way to rid ourselves of specific players, not looking to add more contracts.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
How's Franson looked with Buffalo? Our PP is sorely missing a shot like his from the point so I'm a little sour that he signed for so little, haha.

Jun 9, 2011
Adding to the glut of suspect defensemen isn't the way to improve the defense. Reinhart is the guy at #6 right now and Davidson is rightfully #7. Matt Irwin isn't going to unseat either of those guys. We should be looking for a way to rid ourselves of specific players, not looking to add more contracts.
Yep, hoarding dumpster diving is not the answer. We have some good stuff in our AHL closet.

BigBush*

How's Franson looked with Buffalo? Our PP is sorely missing a shot like his from the point so I'm a little sour that he signed for so little, haha.

He's been terrible from the few games I've seen. He's only good on the PP, really bad at even strength. It's no wonder so many teams passed on him

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

I think ideally our D needs another puck mover in the place of Fayne, but have the ability to play tough minutes.

With Nurse, Klef and Reinhart not going anywhere in the near future, and Schultz playing like he needs to be apart of that, we need to upgrade on Fayne in that department.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think ideally our D needs another puck mover in the place of Fayne, but have the ability to play tough minutes.

With Nurse, Klef and Reinhart not going anywhere in the near future, and Schultz playing like he needs to be apart of that, we need to upgrade on Fayne in that department.

I'm alright with Fayne... If Sekera actually can unload a shot from the blue line on our PP. So far the only dman to even get it on net has been Schultz and his snapshot and one timer suck.

Good to know that Franson has been bad. Makes me feel a bit better.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Adding yet another 5-6 dman will answer the problems. The answer will be found in our top 6 forwards

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I think Fayne is gone after this season in favor of an upgrade. Fayne is fine for his role but he's painfully average and you need some above average qualities in order to be a legit top 4 Dman.

On the blueline, the Oilers desperately need somebody with a big, accurate shot who can QB a PP. Half the Oilers Dmen can't move the puck at all and even Sekera is having a devil of a time even controlling the puck. I don't see the fit for Fayne here beyond this season.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Is anyone actually opposed to trading Hall/Nuge/Eberle/Yakupov?

Not really. Been wanting to create balance in our forward group since forever. It's painfully obvious it's not working. I'd probably keep Nuge and Ebs, seeing how they have chemistry and are pretty much the only duo that can create some form of offense. I also think Ebs would have very good chemistry with McDavid so there's that. Yak I don't see having much value, maybe we could move him for another 3rd liner but that wouldn't be much of an improvement. Rather keep him if that's the return and hope he figures it out at some point. That leaves Hall. He's the guy that's likely to bring back the best value, except for maybe Nuge, and the guy that's the most expendable if you factor in value and potential return. If we could move some combination of Hall, Fayne and draft picks for a really good, physical two-way winger and a puck-moving defenseman our team would be much better. Unfortunately those type of wingers are very hard to come by and the teams that have them aren't willing to deal them.

I'd love to pry Chris Kreider out of New York, he's an RFA and is likely going to want to get paid. They might have to deal him if they want to extend Hayes and Yandle. Problem is we'd have to take a bad contract back if we want him probably. Something along the lines of Hall + Fayne for Kreider and Girardi. Dunno if that's a good deal though, what's Girardi like these days? Also NYR probably doesn't do it either, if Kreider signs for $5M that only gets them about $900,000 in cap savings. Probably not worth the shakeup. But I'd like to do something along those lines.

Yes. I am. It's been 2 games.

It's been 5 years. This core group is never going to get it done. Even if we by some miracle get to the playoffs in a year or two, we'll do no damage there with this group. It's not suited for playoff hockey whatsoever.

At least we got Drai and Nurse coming. Finally two guys that suit the model. And luckily we're bringing them along slowly too. McDavid won't change this roster overnight, it's going to take until core group 2.0 is ready until we can contend (Klefbom, Nurse, Drai, McDavid, maybe even Reinhart). Hopefully by then we've created a more balanced team and gotten rid of the passengers.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's been 5 years. This core group is never going to get it done. Even if we by some miracle get to the playoffs in a year or two, we'll do no damage there with this group. It's not suited for playoff hockey whatsoever.

At least we got Drai and Nurse coming. Finally two guys that suit the model. And luckily we're bringing them along slowly too. McDavid won't change this roster overnight, it's going to take until core group 2.0 is ready until we can contend (Klefbom, Nurse, Drai, McDavid, maybe even Reinhart). Hopefully by then we've created a more balanced team and gotten rid of the passengers.

Agreed. The core as is, is too unbalanced and just not good enough and as you said, this is a 3-5 year sample size (depending on core member), not a 2 game sample size.

I suspect Chia knows this and we'll see some big moves made in the next year or two to address the problem. I know people don't want to hear it but I think Hall might very well be the first one to go. He'll bring back the highest return, seems to have stagnated here and just doesn't seem to be meshing with anybody which has been a problem for the last couple of seasons.

There are very few untouchables on this team and I'd go as far as to say that McDavid should be the only untouchable. Probably Nurse too based on skillset and positional importance.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Not really. Been wanting to create balance in our forward group since forever. It's painfully obvious it's not working. I'd probably keep Nuge and Ebs, seeing how they have chemistry and are pretty much the only duo that can create some form of offense. I also think Ebs would have very good chemistry with McDavid so there's that. Yak I don't see having much value, maybe we could move him for another 3rd liner but that wouldn't be much of an improvement. Rather keep him if that's the return and hope he figures it out at some point. That leaves Hall. He's the guy that's likely to bring back the best value, except for maybe Nuge, and the guy that's the most expendable if you factor in value and potential return. If we could move some combination of Hall, Fayne and draft picks for a really good, physical two-way winger and a puck-moving defenseman our team would be much better. Unfortunately those type of wingers are very hard to come by and the teams that have them aren't willing to deal them.

I'd love to pry Chris Kreider out of New York, he's an RFA and is likely going to want to get paid. They might have to deal him if they want to extend Hayes and Yandle. Problem is we'd have to take a bad contract back if we want him probably. Something along the lines of Hall + Fayne for Kreider and Girardi. Dunno if that's a good deal though, what's Girardi like these days? Also NYR probably doesn't do it either, if Kreider signs for $5M that only gets them about $900,000 in cap savings. Probably not worth the shakeup. But I'd like to do something along those lines.

Hall, Fayne for Girardi, Kreider and a 2nd would be great for us. A line of Kreider - McDavid - Yakupov would absolutely give other teams fits

Connor Mcdavey*

Agreed. The core as is, is too unbalanced and just not good enough and as you said, this is a 3-5 year sample size (depending on core member), not a 2 game sample size.

I suspect Chia knows this and we'll see some big moves made in the next year or two to address the problem. I know people don't want to hear it but I think Hall might very well be the first one to go. He'll bring back the highest return, seems to have stagnated here and just doesn't seem to be meshing with anybody which has been a problem for the last couple of seasons.

There are very few untouchables on this team and I'd go as far as to say that McDavid should be the only untouchable. Probably Nurse too based on skillset and positional importance.

Agreed! After 5 years of accomplishing nothing, everyone on this team is expendable except 97, Nurse, and Drai. Our forwards do not mesh well, they are all the same breed; skilled, small, and soft.

If trading a Hall brings back a return that sets this team forward, then that trade is made every single day of the week and twice on Sundays. This isn't a knee jerk reaction, Hall and co. have had 5 years to turn this thing around, everything around the team has changed (new head coaches, new GM's, new bottom six, new president of hockey ops).............. I'm starting to think our core is the problem.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The team looks better but in that it has shown that we have some positional needs to get to.

That's not a bad thing. Change is needed.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Agreed! After 5 years of accomplishing nothing, everyone on this team is expendable except 97, Nurse, and Drai. Our forwards do not mesh well, they are all the same breed; skilled, small, and soft.

If trading a Hall brings back a return that sets this team forward, then that trade is made every single day of the week and twice on Sundays. This isn't a knee jerk reaction, Hall and co. have had 5 years to turn this thing around, everything around the team has changed (new head coaches, new GM's, new bottom six, new president of hockey ops).............. I'm starting to think our core is the problem.
The core isn't the problem, the makeup of the core and the lack of veterans that can actually play in the top 9 is a huge problem

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I've been saying for a couple of years that the makeup of the core is the problem although obviously, the Eakins hiring kind of sidetracked everything but hiring Mclellan alone isn't going to transform all these guys into different players. The Oilers are always going to have the same issues if this core is kept intact.

The other thing is that the core is transitioning from Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yak and Schultz to McDavid, Nurse and Draisaitl along with a few from the previous regime so you need to identify 4 or 5 from that group and build around them. Can't have a core of 7 or 8, it's just not cap feasible. Add a top pairing Dman and a power forward to the top 6 and this group looks a whole lot different but those players aren't going to fall into the Oilers lap, they are going to have to move some prominent players to get those players. Tough decisions for Chia ahead.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I think Fayne is gone after this season in favor of an upgrade. Fayne is fine for his role but he's painfully average and you need some above average qualities in order to be a legit top 4 Dman.

On the blueline, the Oilers desperately need somebody with a big, accurate shot who can QB a PP. Half the Oilers Dmen can't move the puck at all and even Sekera is having a devil of a time even controlling the puck. I don't see the fit for Fayne here beyond this season.

Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if we moved for Big Buff in season with Fayne + going the other way. That is if the Jets and Buff can't agree on a contract.

Between his size (6'5), physical play (203 hits last season) and point production (40-50 pts/season on average), he fits a lot of what Chia I believe wants to do here. Him and Sekera would make a decent top pairing. Obviously his conditioning issues are worrying, but imo we don't have too much longer to add external salary before we have to pay for our own guys. He's a lesser version of Brent Burns, but since Burns won't be available anytime soon, I think we will settle on Big Buff as a good alternate. He also has a nice shot from the point, something we're missing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is anyone actually opposed to trading Hall/Nuge/Eberle/Yakupov?

Dealing RNH would be a very poor move. Eberle is likely our best offensive player not named McDavid and is a rare bird in that he gels with RNH and Hall and pretty much any of our top 6 that he's played with so I'd keep him as well. Hall and Yakupov if the right deal is there I'd move them.

I'm inclined to agree with you. The sooner we bring in a heart and soul, two-way, checking, offensive juggernaut, who hits, the better.

Eberle is better offensively. Arguably McDavid has already surpassed Nuge defensively.

The entire team has had a bad start - not just Nuge. I'm not too worried about him.

I'm sorry but McDavid is not better than RNH defensively, he may get there one day but not yet.

Matt Irwin is on waivers today, he had an awful opening game for Boston, but played well under McLellan in San Jose.

Can't be any worse than Ference, and send down Davidson where he can play.

If we could unload Ference or send down Davidson then fine. Guy has a cannon of a shot but it sounds like he doesn't bring much else, basically a much cheaper and a better Nikitin.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if we moved for Big Buff in season with Fayne + going the other way. That is if the Jets and Buff can't agree on a contract.

Between his size (6'5), physical play (203 hits last season) and point production (40-50 pts/season on average), he fits a lot of what Chia I believe wants to do here. Him and Sekera would make a decent top pairing. Obviously his conditioning issues are worrying, but imo we don't have too much longer to add external salary before we have to pay for our own guys. He's a lesser version of Brent Burns, but since Burns won't be available anytime soon, I think we will settle on Big Buff as a good alternate. He also has a nice shot from the point, something we're missing.

People can say what they will about Buff but he would be a MASSIVE upgrade on Fayne. I hate to be that guy but I wonder what we could get from Winnipeg if we dealt them Hall? Byfuglien + +? Byfuglien and Lowry would be 2 players that I'd covet from them. If we could get Buff (with a contract extension), Lowry and a 1st for Hall I would consider it. The best player would be heading the other way but we'd add a ton of beef and those two would help our team get a lot tougher to play against.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I love Yak ....hot and cold on Hall....but in the interest of a full blown team'splode....

uno)
:devils
Hall and Schultz

:edmonton
Larsson and zajac

---
dos)
:panthers
Yakupov, Fayne and Purcell

Pirri, Smith and Petrovic

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
People can say what they will about Buff but he would be a MASSIVE upgrade on Fayne. I hate to be that guy but I wonder what we could get from Winnipeg if we dealt them Hall? Byfuglien + +? Byfuglien and Lowry would be 2 players that I'd covet from them. If we could get Buff (with a contract extension), Lowry and a 1st for Hall I would consider it. The best player would be heading the other way but we'd add a ton of beef and those two would help our team get a lot tougher to play against.

I would consider that too. Problem is that Buff is 30 and is going to want to cash out on his last big contract. For a guy who has had trouble staying in shape I suspect age might not be kind to him as it gets harder to stay really fit the older you get. That could turn out to be an albatross of a contract in just a few years from now. So it would be a pretty big gamble but it would obviously improve our team by a lot in the short-term. Chia has got some real difficult decisions to make.

Jun 9, 2011
Buff is 30, paid 6 million this year and UFA. Way too risky, with some high end youth coming up. I don't think I would sign him for a long term as a UFA, let alone trade something for him. What he is right now, he is unlikely to remain the duration of his next contract.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

I don't think many people will argue that Buff is an upgrade on Fayne. My biggest issue is once you sign the deal.

He's going to cost us somewhere around $6.5-6.75M/yr on a 5-6 year deal. After signing the deal, does he go the Dustin Penner 'wheat based drinks' route or does he keep his level of play up?

He'd be a fantastic asset for this team going forward, and one that would very much help us contend for a top-10 finish in the west.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
McDavid won't change this roster overnight, it's going to take until core group 2.0 is ready until we can contend (Klefbom, Nurse, Drai, McDavid, maybe even Reinhart). Hopefully by then we've created a more balanced team and gotten rid of the passengers.

Interestingly, Klefbom, Nurse, Draisaitl and McDavid is the THIRD rebuild since the team hit the skids in 2007.

Rebuild 1: Gagner, Cogliano, Dubnyk, Nilsson, Paarjarvi, Schremp, Gilbert

Rebuild 2: Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Omark, Justin Schultz and Petry

Rebuild 3: Nurse, Draisaitl, McDavid, Lander, Klefbom, Reinhart

Each rebuild has picked up and adopted the ****** attitude of the previous generation. It's no wonder they don't want Nurse and Drai around rebuild 2, they just stink of losing. Not the kind of guys you want to emulate your game after.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I love Yak ....hot and cold on Hall....but in the interest of a full blown team'splode....

uno)
:devils
Hall and Schultz

Larsson and zajac

---
dos)
:panthers
Yakupov, Fayne and Purcell

Pirri, Smith and Petrovic

Why do we want Zajac? Schultz has also stepped his game up this year, don't like that trade at all for us.

I would consider that too. Problem is that Buff is 30 and is going to want to cash out on his last big contract. For a guy who has had trouble staying in shape I suspect age might not be kind to him as it gets harder to stay really fit the older you get. That could turn out to be an albatross of a contract in just a few years from now. So it would be a pretty big gamble but it would obviously improve our team by a lot in the short-term. Chia has got some real difficult decisions to make.

Would it be possible to have a clause in the deal that he has to stay in shape if healthy? Trust me I know the risk and I'd sooner get Burns for said reasons, but Buff's skill set is rare and we;d just have to hope that he can stay healthy and relatively in shape.

Buff is 30, paid 6 million this year and UFA. Way too risky, with some high end youth coming up. I don't think I would sign him for a long term as a UFA, let alone trade something for him. What he is right now, he is unlikely to remain the duration of his next contract.

No high end RHD with a bomb of a shot and his size anywhere to be seen.

I don't think many people will argue that Buff is an upgrade on Fayne. My biggest issue is once you sign the deal.

He's going to cost us somewhere around $6.5-6.75M/yr on a 5-6 year deal. After signing the deal, does he go the Dustin Penner 'wheat based drinks' route or does he keep his level of play up?

He'd be a fantastic asset for this team going forward, and one that would very much help us contend for a top-10 finish in the west.

For that reason you don't give him a NMC, so if he goes down that path he can ride the bus in Bakersfield.

Jun 9, 2011
Wow, I understand trading redundant high end players to fill a need, but it seems like our players are not getting the love they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad