Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread: "Manic Monday"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
2022-23 Oilers Roster:

This is NOT my Ideal-world pie-in-the-sky idea, I think it is realistic enough, if contingent upon certain truths, i.e. Nashville fails to re-sign Forsberg, Keith is coerced to retire, and our package is satisfactory to PHX.

If I were picking an absolute-fantasy roster I would have gone after better Cheaper players For multiple positions (ESPECIALLY Goaltending...) :

Jack Campbell is falling out of favour in Toronto but was born a high pedigree goalie and has very strong numbers for solid stretches in the NHL. We can’t afford to pay 5M+ for a goalie but its beginning to seem likely that Toronto will “Freddie Andersen” Mr.Campbell. We swoop in and sign him to a mid-level deal , 3M AAV x whatever it takes in term. Mike Smith retires after his struggle of a season. Koskinen walks due to cash. Skinner is called up. Goalies @ ~ 4M AAV.

Evander Kane has been what the doctor ordered for the top six but if we read the tea leaves he may be playing his way into another big-money long-term deal. We balk and bail to go big game hunting for an UPGRADE.
ASSUMING Filip Forsberg wants big money and a cup (&NSH can’t deliver) : we give him both. We trade a 5th round pick for his rights at the last minute and sign him to 8M x 8. He becomes the best winger in Oilers modern Era. (IF THIS FAILS, Back-UPS are Rakell, Burakovsky, Palat or Niederrieter)

Duncan Keith RETIRES. We get the cap recapture cash. We COMPEL him to take this path. Whatever it takes. Darryl Katz rearranges the universe to make this happen. One of Broberg/Niemalinen break camp with the team As 6/7D.

Montreal was rumoured to have tried to sign Tyson Barrie both of the last 2 off seasons. Tyson Barrie is TRADED for Jake Evans who is signed to a great deal x3 years but is now over 25 And might be considered movable for a coveted offensive RD to solve their PP problems. We get the roster space to add a competent defensive/physical defender who can pull on the rope in playoff time and excel against better than 3rd-pairing opposition. I throw in Raphael Lavoie to sweeten the pot who is a quality 2nd rd pick and they love French prospects.

Tyson’s replacement: Josh Manson. Bouchard takes the billion offensive zone and PP starts from Barrie and Josh Manson takes the heavy lifting. The deal is ”Adam Larsson” level, around 4M X 4. Money-in money-out is a near wash gaining around 250k.

Cap goes up 1M.

Puljujarvi is re-signed through to UFA on a 2.75M deal. Yamo is signed to a bridge, 2.1M x 2. Assuming insurance is needed, Kulak is re-signed to a hometown discount deal, 1.9M x 3.

We also try to meet the Yotes asking price with a package of 2023 1st + Dmitri Samorukov , and bottom of the roster player Derek Ryan. We throw in an extra pick or prospect if necessary.

Zack Kassian is sent to SMASHVILLE who now have a lot of free cap space for a 4th round pick, where the fans appreciate him.

FORWARDS (12)
Right wing: Kailer Yamamoto ($2,100,000) - Jake Evans ($1,700,000) - Jesse Puljujärvi ($2,750,000) - Ryan McLeod ($1,100,000)
Centre: Connor McDavid ($12,500,000) - Leon Draisaitl ($8,500,000) - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($5,125,000) - Dylan Holloway ($925,000)
Left wing: Zach Hyman ($5,500,000) - Filip Forsberg ($8,000,000) - Warren Foegele ($2,750,000) - Devin Shore ($850,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: Cody Ceci ($3,250,000) - Josh Manson ($4,000,000) - Evan Bouchard ($863,333)
Left: Darnell Nurse ($9,250,000) - Jakob Chychrun ($4,600,000) - Brett Kulak ($1,950,000) - Philip Broberg ($863,333)

GOALTENDER (2)
Jack Campbell ($3,000,000) - Stuart Skinner ($750,000)

BUYOUTS (2)
James Neal ($1,916,667) - Andrej Sekera ($1,500,000)

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1)
Milan Lucic ($750,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 21
Salary Cap: $82,500,000

This is OVER by 1.9 M if Duncan Keith is on LTIR, but it is a SURPLUS of over a million cap dollars if Keith is properly coerced into retirement.

If any of my signings are overly ambitious, feel free to draw from that SURPLUS pool to level them off OR explore including Warren Foegele in either the Evans or the Chychrun deal to reduce the asset cost and reduce our cap burden (I believe he has positive value).

This roster also sets up excellent long-term cap certainty, with buy-outs coming off the books in the following years.

<iframe src="Oilers 2022 - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps" class="frame" height="500px" width="100%" scrolling="yes" frameborder="0"></iframe>3

EDIT: I think I might have been premature on the Jack Campbell situation as he had a strong game against TBL tonight. Will have to wait and see what TML does with their goaltending. May need to seek another 3-4M$ solution If he sticks in TO.
I dont think Manson is worth 4m

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You’re never going to build a contender without some bonafide bargain deals on your roster. And to get those it requires make smart bets(or gambles) on players long term. You can’t just keep doing show me deals over and over until the dude has one out-o-the-park season which is how that Nurse contract will screw us and why we should have signed Nurse to an 8year x 2nd Pair D-man money the moment it become apparent that he was at least that (very very early in his career should have shown he’s at least that).

This is why guys like Yamo and Pulju need to be locked in before they break out. Moreso, Pulju than Yamo though. The dude is too big, too smart, too smart, and skilled enough where it’s time to make the gamble that he’s ATLEAST a middle 6 winger. Pay him that long term and him and his agent should jump at that considering he was nearly out of the League if not for pairing up with the best player in the League in McD. His lack of production despite very effective play this year, is an oppurtunity the Oilers have to take advantage of.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I dont think Manson is worth 4m

I was trying to be “conservative” with UFA prices one way or the other (If Manson signs for 3m it better be here.) With Forsberg 8m might be a little low but trading for negotiating rights and offering 8 years is the dream play. Some of the guys on the roster I was less conservative hoping for minor discounts and bridge deals. Obviously can’t be sure of demands at this stage.

I thought a lot of these moves seemed ‘realistic enough‘ when I wrote them but a lot depends on market conditions and free agent desires. The thing is, there aren’t THAT many good goalies and defenders hitting UFA (Manson is 1), but there are quite a few high end top 6 forwards. Makes it seem like there should be some bargaining power over guys like Kane, too.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
You’re never going to build a contender without some bonafide bargain deals on your roster. And to get those it requires make smart bets(or gambles) on players long term. You can’t just keep doing show me deals over and over until the dude has one out-o-the-park season which is how that Nurse contract will screw us and why we should have signed Nurse to an 8year x 2nd Pair D-man money the moment it become apparent that he was at least that (very very early in his career should have shown he’s at least that).

This is why guys like Yamo and Pulju need to be locked in before they break out. Moreso, Pulju than Yamo though. The dude is too big, too smart, too smart, and skilled enough where it’s time to make the gamble that he’s ATLEAST a middle 6 winger. Pay him that long term and him and his agent should jump at that considering he was nearly out of the League if not for pairing up with the best player in the League in McD. His lack of production despite very effective play this year, is an oppurtunity the Oilers have to take advantage of.

The only way we can get him enough money is signing budget goaltending and dumping all excess (like Kassian). And even then, there will be other tempting big UFAs. The other option is bridge deal. The thing is, the ”cup window” could only be for another 4 or 5 years. So a bridge that includes the 1st year of UFA or so could get you through the bulk of it. And in the short term, there are great top 6 UFA forwards this year. If we have the extra money (to buy a longer term Pulju deal).. the possible top 6 adds are dynamic.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Wonder what the goalie market will be this offseason and what we'll reasonably be able to acquire. Notwithstanding the fact we have Smith infernally for another year...

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Stauffer said yesterday Oilers would be getting help on defence soon and that Keith Gretzky would say something at 1:35 yesterday on Oilers Now. What on earth did he mean

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I’d assume it’s a Niemelainen recall.
It’s definitely not Samorukov or Broberg.

Wasn’t going to post about them because people tend to overreact about potential injuries here (I get it, it’s been bad), but apparently Samorukov injured his shoulder (not sure if it’s the same one) the last game and might be out a while, after he was starting to look great again.

And regarding Broberg, Keith said that he’s ‘ahead of schedule’ but apparently not back yet. Which is weird when they said it would be 2-4 weeks and it’s been 2. Sounds like it’s a knee injury for sure as well

They’ll be fine, but I’m sure some here will conclude they need to be taken out back and put out of their misery

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Offseason plans:

I would do 1 or 2 year bridge deals with JP and Yamo, sign Kane, and extend Kulak.

Out: Kassian, Keith, Barrie, Smith (use draft picks if you have to as sweeteners).
In: Husso

If Holland can do all of this in one offseason, then he can be the GM until he retires.
Barrie is our best RHD right now!

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I know this isn't the answer... but imagine Klef for playoffs? :naughty:
Man Klefbom would be a one of the best "trade deadline" acquisition we could possibly make. Even if he's probably much worse than before it'd still be a solid bottom pairing depth option in case someone like Barrie/Bouchard falls apart in playoffs and he'd likely be a big upgrade at 2LHD with a full offseason after Duncan Keith retires (if we're gonna snort copium on Klefa returning might as well snort all the copium).

The fact that Keith Gretzky will be the one addressing media seems to suggest it's a prospect though (Nemo, Broberg etc)

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Man Klefbom would be a one of the best "trade deadline" acquisition we could possibly make. Even if he's probably much worse than before it'd still be a solid bottom pairing depth option in case someone like Barrie/Bouchard falls apart in playoffs and he'd likely be a big upgrade at 2LHD with a full offseason after Duncan Keith retires (if we're gonna snort copium on Klefa returning might as well snort all the copium).

The fact that Keith Gretzky will be the one addressing media seems to suggest it's a prospect though (Nemo, Broberg etc)
Im not dumping on the idea, but what sort of realistic impact could we even expect out of a guy who hasn't played in 3 years? Let alone going straight into the playoffs.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Im not dumping on the idea, but what sort of realistic impact could we even expect out of a guy who hasn't played in 3 years? Let alone going straight into the playoffs.
He'd be better than Duncan Keith within 1 offseason of training, possibly Kulak too. Assuming the shoulder is fully healed in this imaginary scenario.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Imagine the outrage if we had drafted Zegras then turned around to trade him. Thats such a terrible way to make your case.

If Broberg becomes a top 4 guy next season was it still the wrong choice? Based on team needs I don't know how it possibly could be.
If we trade Barrie for cap space as I think we could move him, would Broberg be good enough to play the right side as he does play well on the right side.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I'd love Kuemper or Husso, open to Campbell, but not sold on Ullmark and Georgiev. Besides Jason Gregor repeating Gerogiev plays better the more he plays, is there anything to back that claim up? Besides a stretch of 24 games in 18-19 I don't really see any examples of him playing consistent games.
Linus Ullmark seems like he'd be a good option, but his career SV% drops from .915 to .901 after the All-Star break. Seems like he crumbles when the games start to matter and has yet to be playoff-tested.

Blackwood really intrigues me. In 19-20 before his injury-riddled season last year, he was 3rd in goals saved above expected and 4th in SV% above expected playing in 47 games as a 23 year old. He's got 1 year left at $2.8M which is huge for us for accomplishing the rest of our off-season goals.
I am not sold on Campbell as he has not player well the second half and will want a contract that is too much money.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Next year I’d go with

Holloway - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Hyman - Draisailt - Yamamoto
Mcleod - RNH - Kassian
Foegele - Ryan - Carrick

Nurse - Bouchard
Broberg - Ceci
Niemelainen - Barrie

Korpisalo
Skinner
Broberg has not proven he can play second pairing, you are just setting him up for failure. Keep Keith for his last year. I would be ok with Broberg playing right side and play 3rd pairing. Barrie gives us 4.5 mil plus move Kassian. That is an additional 7.7 mil. That with our cap space should be enough. We could also send Smith down for another 1.25 or so of cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad