Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wouldn’t even be surprised if the draft interview went something like this:

“How would you like to be drafted by the Oilers?”

Zegras: …

“What, no good?”

There is always risk when drafting a college player until (if?) they close that loophole. Especially an American player that grew up in such a way (privileged) and is asked to play in a small market Canadian city.

I don't think that really applies in recent years.

Pretty much every one of the American 1st rounders over the last 5-10 years have left school and signed way before they were close to UFA. Quite a few to Canadian teams too.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wonder if maybe we could trade a few guys without a sweetener. A team out there may like Barrie. Heck maybe Kassian. Imo Foegele stays
Foegele doesn't PK and isn't physical or skilled enough to earn his contract here given our cap situation. Maybe he plays with more of an edge if he has a guy like Deslauriers in the lineup.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Next year I’d go with

Holloway - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Hyman - Draisailt - Yamamoto
Mcleod - RNH - Kassian
Foegele - Ryan - Carrick

Nurse - Bouchard
Broberg - Ceci
Niemelainen - Barrie

Korpisalo
Skinner

So we down grade on Koskinen and where did Keith go ? He isn't waiving to go anywhere . Also if some how you could get Keith to retire we get his 5.1 million + an extra 3 million because of the recapture penalty to Chicago .

I hope Keith goes and Barrie is traded for a defensive D .

Nurse Ceci
XXX Bouchard
Niemelainen Broberg/XXX

Get rid of Kassian and Smith . Re sign Kane , Puljujarvi and Yamamoto . Holloway on the Oilers as well as Skinner . Need a legit goalie

Kane McD Puljujarvi
McLeod Draisaitl Yamamoto
Holloway RNH Hyman
Foegele Ryan Bourgault

The dead weight is gone and young forwards can move up and down as their play dictates . Thats a deep forward group

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
We need a tough minutes RHD to play with Nurse and allow Bouchard to stay on the 2nd or 3rd pairings. Then we need some toughness in the bottom 6 (Deslauriers anybody?) and a better starter to be able to break Skinner in as the back-up next season.

Out: Kassian, Barrie, Archibald, Foegele, Smith, Koskinen
In: Kane, Shutdown RHD, Deslauriers, Holloway, Skinner, New Starter

There are ways to take care of the bigger “obstacles” you mention:

Step 1: Get Dave Manson to talk his son into signing here after “coincidentally” paying him above the going rate for an assistant NHL coach on his own new deal. Nurse-Manson would be a bang-up top pairing.

Step 2: Tell Keith he can make $2M next year as a skills coach over Zoom from Penticton if he retires this summer, giving us $3M in recapture.

Step 3: Re-sign Kaner and Yamo with the $8M total cap space gained in Step 2.

Step 4: Send Pierre McGuire clips of Kassian using his “big stick” (ew) to convince him the Sens would be interested in giving up a pick for him with zero retention.

Step 5: Tell Mike Smith he’s off to Bakersfield next season- either as a third stringer to Fanti and Konovalov or as the team’s goalie coach, his choice.

If the NHL isn’t going to fix grossly abused shit like LTIR, we need to fight fire with fire and start employing some creative accounting of our own.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't suppose it would be possible for Keith to "retire" and then unretire and sign a $1.75 million dollar x 1 year contract with the Oilers?

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
There are ways to take care of the bigger “obstacles” you mention:

Step 1: Get Dave Manson to talk his son into signing here after “coincidentally” paying him above the going rate for an assistant NHL coach on his own new deal. Nurse-Manson would be a bang-up top pairing.

Step 2: Tell Keith he can make $2M next year as a skills coach over Zoom from Penticton if he retires this summer, giving us $3M in recapture.

Step 3: Re-sign Kaner and Yamo with the $8M total cap space gained in Step 2.

Step 4: Send Pierre McGuire clips of Kassian using his “big stick” (ew) to convince him the Sens would be interested in giving up a pick for him with zero retention.

Step 5: Tell Mike Smith he’s off to Bakersfield next season- either as a third stringer to Fanti and Konovalov or as the team’s goalie coach, his choice.

If the NHL isn’t going to fix grossly abused shit like LTIR, we need to fight fire with fire and start employing some creative accounting of our own.

Some good thinking. I like the Duncan Keith solution. I would just LTIR Smith. Once his contract is done, replace the oilers current goalie coach with Smith.

Try to acquire Carter Hart and run him and Skinner. f*** it. Lol

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't suppose it would be possible for Keith to "retire" and then unretire and sign a $1.75 million dollar x 1 year contract with the Oilers?
I think the leagues teams would have to sign off on that, they wouldn’t.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
No, but they could trade his contract to a team with the understanding that the team buys him out, then sign him to a cap friendly deal as a UFA. Washington did this a few years ago with Brooks Orpik IIRC.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No, but they could trade his contract to a team with the understanding that the team buys him out, then sign him to a cap friendly deal as a UFA. Washington did this a few years ago with Brooks Orpik IIRC.

Seems like this would make sense for Arizona no? Would only be 500k real salary this year (4.5 mill cap penalty, but if they don't care about spending to the cap, this doesn't matter) and then 500k cap penalty the following year.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Seems like this would make sense for Arizona no? Would only be 500k real salary this year (4.5 mill cap penalty, but if they don't care about spending to the cap, this doesn't matter) and then 500k cap penalty the following year.

Seems like a pretty easy solution that would no doubt give Holland too big a headache to pull off.

He earns the same money if he re-signs here for 1m/1yr and we get $4.5m of capspace (Nurse's raise).

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If thats the team next year I’m done

Its been a long,long run, but if thats the team next year I Ain’t watching.
The lineup looks bad but I also think the team this year is as good it will get for Oilers and next year's squad onwards would not be better.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Because Keith hates money?
He would be making the same amount of money.

1649072433561.jpeg

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Because Keith hates money?

Well technically he would make more money as he's only owed 1.5 million in actual cash next year.

I have to think though the buy out route ... the Oilers should seriously consider this. For a team like Arizona that is not spending close to the cap roof (so cap hit is irrelevant) ... it would only be a 500k actual dollar penalty this year and then 500k next year (and they're unlikely I would think to spend to the cap next year too).

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
Duncan Keith is a proud man that loves hockey. If he thinks he can play and has a contract, good luck convincing him to sit out. Would need Daryl Katz to have one of his buddies offer him a 5 million dollar house in Kelowna for 500k as an incentive! :laugh:

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Arizona or Buffalo buying out Keith and then him resigning with the Oilers is a good option but it will probably cost the Oilers another 2nd round pick. Maybe a 3rd but Kenny is kinda sucks at negotiating.

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
Offseason plans:

I would do 1 or 2 year bridge deals with JP and Yamo, sign Kane, and extend Kulak.

Out: Kassian, Keith, Barrie, Smith (use draft picks if you have to as sweeteners).
In: Husso

If Holland can do all of this in one offseason, then he can be the GM until he retires.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Offseason plans:

I would do 1 or 2 year bridge deals with JP and Yamo, sign Kane, and extend Kulak.

Out: Kassian, Keith, Barrie, Smith (use draft picks if you have to as sweeteners).
In: Husso

If Holland can do all of this in one offseason, then he can be the GM until he retires.
Or we can get a NHL caliber GM and have them pull off these moves in a much more efficient manner.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Arizona or Buffalo buying out Keith and then him resigning with the Oilers is a good option but it will probably cost the Oilers another 2nd round pick. Maybe a 3rd but Kenny is kinda sucks at negotiating.
If That 2nd round pick means the cap space for keeping Kane, or getting a starting goalie... It's absolutely worth it.

You always have to look at the bigger picture. If you're willing to pay a 2nd for 20+ games of Kulak, you should be willing to pay it to create the space for a key guy on a multi-year deal.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
2022-23 Oilers Roster:

This is NOT my Ideal-world pie-in-the-sky idea, I think it is realistic enough, if contingent upon certain truths, i.e. Nashville fails to re-sign Forsberg, Keith is coerced to retire, and our package is satisfactory to PHX.

If I were picking an absolute-fantasy roster I would have gone after better Cheaper players For multiple positions (ESPECIALLY Goaltending...) :

Jack Campbell is falling out of favour in Toronto but was born a high pedigree goalie and has very strong numbers for solid stretches in the NHL. We can’t afford to pay 5M+ for a goalie but its beginning to seem likely that Toronto will “Freddie Andersen” Mr.Campbell. We swoop in and sign him to a mid-level deal , 3M AAV x whatever it takes in term. Mike Smith retires after his struggle of a season. Koskinen walks due to cash. Skinner is called up. Goalies @ ~ 4M AAV.

Evander Kane has been what the doctor ordered for the top six but if we read the tea leaves he may be playing his way into another big-money long-term deal. We balk and bail to go big game hunting for an UPGRADE.
ASSUMING Filip Forsberg wants big money and a cup (&NSH can’t deliver) : we give him both. We trade a 5th round pick for his rights at the last minute and sign him to 8M x 8. He becomes the best winger in Oilers modern Era. (IF THIS FAILS, Back-UPS are Rakell, Burakovsky, Palat or Niederrieter)

Duncan Keith RETIRES. We get the cap recapture cash. We COMPEL him to take this path. Whatever it takes. Darryl Katz rearranges the universe to make this happen. One of Broberg/Niemalinen break camp with the team As 6/7D.

Montreal was rumoured to have tried to sign Tyson Barrie both of the last 2 off seasons. Tyson Barrie is TRADED for Jake Evans who is signed to a great deal x3 years but is now over 25 And might be considered movable for a coveted offensive RD to solve their PP problems. We get the roster space to add a competent defensive/physical defender who can pull on the rope in playoff time and excel against better than 3rd-pairing opposition. I throw in Raphael Lavoie to sweeten the pot who is a quality 2nd rd pick and they love French prospects.

Tyson’s replacement: Josh Manson. Bouchard takes the billion offensive zone and PP starts from Barrie and Josh Manson takes the heavy lifting. The deal is ”Adam Larsson” level, around 4M X 4. Money-in money-out is a near wash gaining around 250k.

Cap goes up 1M.

Puljujarvi is re-signed through to UFA on a 2.75M deal. Yamo is signed to a bridge, 2.1M x 2. Assuming insurance is needed, Kulak is re-signed to a hometown discount deal, 1.9M x 3.

We also try to meet the Yotes asking price with a package of 2023 1st + Dmitri Samorukov , and bottom of the roster player Derek Ryan. We throw in an extra pick or prospect if necessary.

Zack Kassian is sent to SMASHVILLE who now have a lot of free cap space for a 4th round pick, where the fans appreciate him.

FORWARDS (12)
Right wing: Kailer Yamamoto ($2,100,000) - Jake Evans ($1,700,000) - Jesse Puljujärvi ($2,750,000) - Ryan McLeod ($1,100,000)
Centre: Connor McDavid ($12,500,000) - Leon Draisaitl ($8,500,000) - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($5,125,000) - Dylan Holloway ($925,000)
Left wing: Zach Hyman ($5,500,000) - Filip Forsberg ($8,000,000) - Warren Foegele ($2,750,000) - Devin Shore ($850,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: Cody Ceci ($3,250,000) - Josh Manson ($4,000,000) - Evan Bouchard ($863,333)
Left: Darnell Nurse ($9,250,000) - Jakob Chychrun ($4,600,000) - Brett Kulak ($1,950,000) - Philip Broberg ($863,333)

GOALTENDER (2)
Jack Campbell ($3,000,000) - Stuart Skinner ($750,000)

BUYOUTS (2)
James Neal ($1,916,667) - Andrej Sekera ($1,500,000)

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1)
Milan Lucic ($750,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 21
Salary Cap: $82,500,000

This is OVER by 1.9 M if Duncan Keith is on LTIR, but it is a SURPLUS of over a million cap dollars if Keith is properly coerced into retirement.

If any of my signings are overly ambitious, feel free to draw from that SURPLUS pool to level them off OR explore including Warren Foegele in either the Evans or the Chychrun deal to reduce the asset cost and reduce our cap burden (I believe he has positive value).

This roster also sets up excellent long-term cap certainty, with buy-outs coming off the books in the following years.

<iframe src="Oilers 2022 - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps" class="frame" height="500px" width="100%" scrolling="yes" frameborder="0"></iframe>3

EDIT: I think I might have been premature on the Jack Campbell situation as he had a strong game against TBL tonight. Will have to wait and see what TML does with their goaltending. May need to seek another 3-4M$ solution If he sticks in TO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad