Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Keep Nuge Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Further to this Edmonton is the worst NHL City sidebar I think its very much a Canadian thing to diminish the value of this land, to think less of it, what it offers.

Yet Canada is always a top immigration target and if you are in the hockey world, and comfortable with northern places its one of the best places to explore.

Alberta, BC, should never be underestimated for what they offer. The New World Swiss Alps abound here, nothing less.

To any younger person reading this that is going to Europe again or flying around the world, save your money, and see anything you haven't seen yet in these two gorgeous provinces. Then realize what draws these places can be, and why.

There is no way, none, that Edmonton or Calgary should be considered one of the last places to be in the hockey world. That said I HATE tacky places like Florida and many US cities. Don't like most of them, to me, USA is a fly over country and only the West and East coasts are worth my trouble.

lol that Detroit, Michigan is being glorified in this thread., in Which Edmonton is being deemed the worst city to play in...jebus

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Banff is amazing. But Edmonton's amenity? It's still 3-4 hours away. That's not close enough to be considered a perk of living in Edmonton. Calgary on the other hand....
Disagree. Lived here my whole life. Banff, Jasper, Waterton, Yoho, Kootenay NP are realistic weekend trips any weekend. Been camping hiking skiing X country/snow shoeing in those areas all my life. These ARE our playgrounds. Imagine what its like to live a continent away from these? If you live in Atlantic Canada you might see the glorious Rockies a few times in your life. I can be in them a few times a month. Wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING.

The only place I've ever been in, only trail that compares, for me, is the Napali Coast Hike in Kauai.

We REALLY tend to underestimate what we have here. Sadly, I think younger people underestimate it even more.

Banff and Banff Springs Hotel has been one of the top Celebrity hotels in the world for its entire existence. You think hockey wives and families don't go down there, or to JPL to hit the slopes with their families.

If you're a hockey wife even remotely comfortable with winter conditions, as almost every hockey family is, the place is a mecca. Plus shopping, wining, dining in Banff. 2nd to none on the continent for range of options in walkable distance.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Disagree. Lived here my whole life. Banff, Jasper, Waterton, Yoho, Kootenay NP are realistic weekend trips any weekend. Been camping hiking skiing X country/snow shoeing in those areas all my life. These ARE our playgrounds. Imagine what its like to live a continent away from these? If you live in Atlantic Canada you might see the glorious Rockies a few times in your life. I can be in them a few times a month. Wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING.

The only place I've ever been in, only trail that compares, for me, is the Napali Coast Hike in Kauai.

We REALLY tend to underestimate what we have here. Sadly, I think younger people underestimate it even more.

Banff and Banff Springs Hotel has been one of the top Celebrity hotels in the world for its entire existence. You think hockey wives and families don't go down there, or to JPL to hit the slopes with their families.

If you're a hockey wife even remotely comfortable with winter conditions, as almost every hockey family is, the place is a mecca. Plus shopping, wining, dining in Banff. 2nd to none on the continent for range of options in walkable distance.

I’m from N.S. and have been thru Rockies numerous times. Drove to Vancouver from N.S. in 95, Banff, Jasper, etc. I loved every minute of it . I actually liked the look of the town Hinton. We don’t have the Rockies but we have the Cabot Trail and that is a beauty of a drive. I’ve done it in the fall and the colors will blow you away . If I were younger, I would be living in Alberta. Much better opportunity for younger people. I had my daughter out last October for 3 Oiler games. She is 12 and wants to move to Edmonton . I bought Lotto tickets that week and prize still ain’t claimed for 60 mil. I’m checking my luggage again

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m from N.S. and have been thru Rockies numerous times. Drove to Vancouver from N.S. in 95, Banff, Jasper, etc. I loved every minute of it . I actually liked the look of the town Hinton. We don’t have the Rockies but we have the Cabot Trail and that is a beauty of a drive. I’ve done it in the fall and the colors will blow you away . If I were younger, I would be living in Alberta. Much better opportunity for younger people. I had my daughter out last October for 3 Oiler games. She is 12 and wants to move to Edmonton . I bought Lotto tickets that week and prize still ain’t claimed for 60 mil. I’m checking my luggage again

We've talked about it before. I've been on the Cabot trail, but one time and spent a week in Cape Breton. I was there in the fall that time, purposely, the best time to visit.

Its not like its easy to get to often from here when you are thousands of miles away. But as I stated, can go to the rockies any weekend and as you say for young people, which hockey families invariably are, its a great place to be.

Hinton, if located anywere else would be an amazing recreational area. But because its in Alberta, with splendid National Parks, the whole area is almost forgotten. The Forestry Trunk Road is a must drive at least a couple times in your life and from Grand Cache all the way to Coleman. So much to see and do, so many great places to camp. hardly anybody even sees or explores the area.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Weekend road trips your talking about. Immigration form places like India, Somalia, Communist China, etc etc. You bring up valid points for the average joe to below. The actual discussion should be quality of life as perceived by a multi millionaire of which professional hockey players are. You say there’s no way it SHOULD be a low choice for a hockey player, sure whatever. Your feelings notwithstanding the FACT is that is IS one of the least desirable places in the hockey world and has been for 30 years, this is undeniable. So you can wax poetic about the beauty of the prairies and the greatness of... west edmonton mall and I’ll agree with you cause I’m born and raised Edmonton as well and it’ll always be home. But none of that matters because the truth is that it’s NOT an attractive location for a multi millionaire professional athlete and the proof is in the last 30 years of free agents and trade targets spurning us over and over.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
We've talked about it before. I've been on the Cabot trail, but one time and spent a week in Cape Breton. I was there in the fall that time, purposely, the best time to visit.

Its not like its easy to get to often from here when you are thousands of miles away. But as I stated, can go to the rockies any weekend and as you say for young people, which hockey families invariably are, its a great place to be.

Hinton, if located anywere else would be an amazing recreational area. But because its in Alberta, with splendid National Parks, the whole area is almost forgotten. The Forestry Trunk Road is a must drive at least a couple times in your life and from Grand Cache all the way to Coleman. So much to see and do, so many great places to camp. hardly anybody even sees or explores the area.

I would love to check out some of the lakes out there. I love my fishing. When u were on Cabot trail, how was weather? Hit or miss here because we are on Ocean

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Weekend road trips your talking about. Immigration form places like India, Somalia, Communist China, etc etc. You bring up valid points for the average joe to below. The actual discussion should be quality of life as perceived by a multi millionaire of which professional hockey players are. You say there’s no way it SHOULD be a low choice for a hockey player, sure whatever. Your feelings notwithstanding the FACT is that is IS one of the least desirable places in the hockey world and has been for 30 years, this is undeniable. So you can wax poetic about the beauty of the prairies and the greatness of... west edmonton mall and I’ll agree with you cause I’m born and raised Edmonton as well and it’ll always be home. But none of that matters because the truth is that it’s NOT an attractive location for a multi millionaire professional athlete and the proof is in the last 30 years of free agents and trade targets spurning us over and over.

To add to this I'm sure people from Winnipeg or Columbus believe they should be popular destinations too, doesn't change the fact that most players don't see those cities as popular destinations.

Edmonton is the northern most city in the NHL and a small market. I don't know why some Oilers fans want to delude themselves into believing Edmonton will suddenly be attractive to the majority of players once the team is winning.

The team should be able to understand this and pour a ton of money into scouting because if you're behind when it comes to attracting talent you need to be better than everyone else at identifying it.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Further to this Edmonton is the worst NHL City sidebar I think its very much a Canadian thing to diminish the value of this land, to think less of it, what it offers.

Yet Canada is always a top immigration target and if you are in the hockey world, and comfortable with northern places its one of the best places to explore.

Alberta, BC, should never be underestimated for what they offer. The New World Swiss Alps abound here, nothing less.

To any younger person reading this that is going to Europe again or flying around the world, save your money, and see anything you haven't seen yet in these two gorgeous provinces. Then realize what draws these places can be, and why.

There is no way, none, that Edmonton or Calgary should be considered one of the last places to be in the hockey world. That said I HATE tacky places like Florida and many US cities. Don't like most of them, to me, USA is a fly over country and only the West and East coasts are worth my trouble.

lol that Detroit, Michigan is being glorified in this thread., in Which Edmonton is being deemed the worst city to play in...jebus

There's a big difference being an immigrant from a 3rd world country or the average Canadian looking for a good paying job. In those scenarios Alberta is heaven. I grew up with and am still friends with a retired NHLer that many would say is a good ol Western Canadian boy and he wants nothing to do with Alberta unless it's to see his mom and now spends his days enjoying the California lifestyle. I also have a few friends and family that have become very successful local business people and they spend as much time as they can in warmer climates only going to Banff/Jasper for business events or the odd weekend trip. On the other hand there's people like Ryan Smyth that love this province and prefer it over a places like CA and NY.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
To add to this I'm sure people from Winnipeg or Columbus believe they should be popular destinations too, doesn't change the fact that most players don't see those cities as popular destinations.

Edmonton is the northern most city in the NHL and a small market. I don't know why some Oilers fans want to delude themselves into believing Edmonton will suddenly be attractive to the majority of players once the team is winning.

The team should be able to understand this and pour a ton of money into scouting because if you're behind when it comes to attracting talent you need to be better than everyone else at identifying it.

All true. That small market, undesirable effect hurts teams in huge ways. Look at Columbus like you mentioned, through astute trades, drafting, and development, they were able to build what should have been a perennial cup contender. But nope, Panarin and Bobrovsky wouldn’t even give them a chance, back to the drawing board for them.

Edmonton SHOULD be investing double in scouting resources and also should be Moneyballing the sh*t out of this league with an overpowered advanced stats dept. to overcome our distinct disadvantages. Unfortunately, on both fronts it looks like we are far, far, behind the ball.

So while I don’t credit the lack of desirability as the ONLY reason for 3 decades of mediocrity to worse, I’d say it’s a huge factor that needs to be acknowledged along with general incompetence of management. How are we ever going to fix this team without even acknowledging one of our main roadblocks.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Le sigh.

Mikko Koskinen: 2.93GAA, .906SV%, $4.50M
David Rittich: 2.61GAA, .911SV%, $2.75M

The contract seemed terrible at the time, and it looks substantially worse today when a player with similar NHL experience and better numbers signed for significantly less. The scary thing is that the Koskinen contract was reportedly a "group effort" and it wasn't just Chiarelli being crazy.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Le sigh.

The contract seemed terrible at the time, and it looks substantially worse today when a player with similar NHL experience and better numbers signed for significantly less. The scary thing is that the Koskinen contract was reportedly a "group effort" and it wasn't just Chiarelli being crazy.

Give me a good King over democracy any day.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

What your describing is why Calgary is attractive to play in. Edmonton is a 3-4 hour drive from the mountains. Calgary 45 minutes, that’s a huge difference. The people who want to live in Edmonton long term are guys like Kris Russell, who have/want a Ranch and like to hunt/fish. If you want your own Ranch, Edmonton and Calgary are probably your top destinations.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Le sigh.

Yes, let’s forget the Rittich was a RFA while Koskinen was a UFA

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Ahh, fair point I didn't consider. The Koskinen contract is still silly though given the number.

I understand the Oilers though Koskinen might be the best option available via free agency but it wouldn't shock me if Smith stole the starting job this year despite making $2.5M less.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Flames are pretty screwed right now cap wise.. I'm very curious what they'll end up doing. Might have to trade Brodie for futures with the emergence of Valimaki, Andersson, and Kylington. Don't see them being able to move the full contracts of Frolik or Stone which they need to do.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Good point, however, let's not omit just how important the cap is this year.
With all the cap trades, record amount of unsigned RFAs and bridge deals, that Koskinen signing looks downright criminal.

He was not likely to get an offer from any team, let alone for 4mil aav.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Le sigh.

The good news tho.. is Holland is completely in charge now and hopefully we dont see dumb contracts gifted like that again. Hopefully.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
As far as living in Alberta.. I love the summers here. Winters however.. I'm hoping to become a snowbird soon. Lol

I am sick of the harsh cold temperatures and the winter driving along with the long dark days that seem to stretch for more than half the year.

Reactions: guymez and Beerfish

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
As far as living in Alberta.. I love the summers here. Winters however.. I'm hoping to become a snowbird soon. Lol

I am sick of the harsh cold temperatures and the winter driving along with the long dark days that seem to stretch for more than half the year.
I’m fine with winter but scraping my windows off every bleeping morning really chews my ass. Only
to have them refreeze/fog up while I’m driving so I end up driving through a pea hole.

Meanwhile my wife gets the garage and has the vehicle with the starter.... My negotiation skills are clearly Chia level.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

Free agents spurn every Canadian market, not just Edmonton.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What your describing is why Calgary is attractive to play in. Edmonton is a 3-4 hour drive from the mountains. Calgary 45 minutes, that’s a huge difference. The people who want to live in Edmonton long term are guys like Kris Russell, who have/want a Ranch and like to hunt/fish. If you want your own Ranch, Edmonton and Calgary are probably your top destinations.

Is 3-4hrs now considered a long drive? Calgary is not 45mins from Banff. Maybe Kananaskis, but in usual traffic volumes 1.5hrs from Calgary to Banff. With a better routed road (which we should have by now) Edmonton would be 2.5hrs from Mountains. Theres a pass available in which to do this. In anycase Hinton is less than 3hrs from Edmonton.

I think the saddest thing is that you are correct, entirely, and that todays outdoors athletes like Russell, Ryan, Smyth, that love what the outdoors has to offer here are now a minority. Its really incredible that hockey players, of all people, are raised to be averse to the outdoors now. They don't play in outdoor rinks we used to do all the time, their idea of hockey is in climate controlled indoor rinks with no weather, no wind, no cold, no associated love of the outdoors. Todays players, to that end, match a lot of what younger generations are like now, that have to be convinced that going outside, camping, hiking, skiing, etc are any fun.

But oddly enough among other celebs Banff is a very popular place, always has been.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I think the saddest thing is that you are correct, entirely, and that todays outdoors athletes like Russell, Ryan, Smyth, that love what the outdoors has to offer here are now a minority. Its really incredible that hockey players, of all people, are raised to be averse to the outdoors now. They don't play in outdoor rinks we used to do all the time, their idea of hockey is in climate controlled indoor rinks with no weather, no wind, no cold, no associated love of the outdoors.

Todays players, to that end, match a lot of what younger generations are like now, that have to be convinced that camping, hiking, skiing, etc are any fun.

I've lived in this province all of my life. I live out in the country West of Edmonton. I ice fish, camp, hike, explore. I grew up on the outdoor rinks and frozen ponds. That being said; winters here absolutely suck. They're way too long. The darkness is depressing. Driving sucks. The bottom line is; winters are way too long, dark, cold and overkill. If winter was like 2 months rather than 6 months it'd be a difference maker. The facts are the facts. I do like winter.. just not East of the Kootenays winter weather. Hell, Ryan Smyth finally got sick of it and moved to Nashville. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramrod

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've lived in this province all of my life. I live out in the country West of Edmonton. I ice fish, camp, hike, explore. I grew up on the outdoor rinks and frozen ponds. That being said; winters here absolutely suck. They're way too long. The darkness is depressing. Driving sucks. The bottom line is; winters are way too long, dark, cold and overkill. If winter was like 2 months rather than 6 months it'd be a difference maker. The facts are the facts. I do like winter.. just not west of the Kootenays winter weather. Hell, Ryan Smyth finally got sick of it and moved to Nashville. Lol

heh, I love these discussions off season. I guess I do a better job than most embracing winter and I love strapping on the Snowshoes and going out for hours and I'm nearly a senior. Some of my favorite things in Edmonton are the winter festivals. Flying Canoe festival, Silver Skate festival. etc. Embrace winter, just like they do in Quebec City. Edmonton is doing a better job getting that going.

Seasons ADD to vitality in life. Its that we have so many months of different seasons that makes us embrace the summers that we do have, whereas in all summer weather climes people can take it for granted.

As to the darkness we get a similar amount of daylight year around and probably more clear sky sun shining days. Just that our latitude the amplitude of day lengths is more diverse. But this too offers opportunity to change up, experience different things. I'm much more reflective in winter, which I find transcendent. Go outdoors in Winter, in a park, ravine, river valley and solitude is yours. For a person that appreciates no noise but my inner voice having times and places like that slows the world down for me. Without which I'd be more inclined to crazy...;)

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad