Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Keep Nuge Forever

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If I remember corretcly Stauffer dropped name Rasmus Ristolainen in somewhere few days ago.

Suomalaistähti Rasmus Ristolainen vaihtaa seuraa NHL:ssä

"Finnish star Rasmus Ristolainen changes club in NHL"

There is not anymore info, but MTV has a good reputation. They don't let stuff like that out without really good sources. So could it be RR55 to EDM?

It was at the end of the conversation with Friedman about a week ago right after the Lucic trade.

Reactions: guymez and McCombo

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I could see a three way deal with Ottawa getting Puljujarvi and a salary dump like Gagner and the Oilers getting Ristolainen or Krieder. Ottawa and Edmonton would both send pieces to either the Sabres or Rangers.

Reactions: McCombo

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Gardiner going unsigned for this long is crazy to me. Might be another case of misreading the market. Russell and Franson both did this an got burned and signed for a fraction of what they were going for.

If we can dump Russell for a low pick and then grab Gardiner for under 6 mil and under 3/4 years term, we improve our D core noticeably. And it only cost 1.5ish mil for the upgrade.

If Gardiner was going to get anything near 6m, he would have gotten it on day 1 of free agency. He will be lucky to get anything above 4.5m now with a lot of the teams already done due to cap issues.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
If Gardiner was going to get anything near 6m, he would have gotten it on day 1 of free agency. He will be lucky to get anything above 4.5m now with a lot of the teams already done due to cap issues.

I think he can still easily get a high AAV from someone the issue is rumored to be term.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Interesting, I wonder if the emergence of Lagesson, Day and Persson made things too tight for the team to find space for Marino.
No, it was widely speculated that Marino was not going to sign here. Trying to get something for him. He learned from Adam Fox. That is too bad because he is worth more than a 6th round pick.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
How would we utilize Ristolainen if we got him? Ristolainen's numbers are screaming he needs to be sheltered, which means he can't play of the first pairing with Klefbom and both Risto and Nurse are too suspect defensively to sound like a good idea on the 2nd pair. Do we want $5.4M on the 3rd pairing or are we going to suppress Nurse going into his contract year hoping for some cap savings and pair Russell with Ristolainen?

There is so much boom/bust with Ristolainen he scares the living shit out of me, fear of missing out if he ever puts it all together and fear of being like Wile E Coyote holding a piece of dynamite too long and watching it blow up directly in my face. Given our cap outlook I don't think he's a risk we can take, despite the skills, his current level of effectiveness is essentially Marc Andre Bergeron (suspect 3rd pairing d-man who's good on the PP, 5 on 5 Risto is getting murdered).

While we don't have enough money for Gardiner either, I'm more down with getting him he's atleast a quality 2nd pairing d-man with a good breakout pass and despite some trademark brain farts sprinkled in, his average level of play is certainly higher than Ristolainen. Gardiner wouldn't scratch the same 1st unit PP d-man itch that Ristolainen would, but he's more of a sure thing. I see Gardiner more as a potential Nurse replacement, a more effective player than Nurse on the near term and while he's certain to be more expensive than Nurse this year, I think there is a decent chance that Gardiner is more likely to be inked to a value deal than Nurse.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How would we utilize Ristolainen if we got him? Ristolainen's numbers are screaming he needs to be sheltered, which means he can't play of the first pairing with Klefbom and both Risto and Nurse are too suspect defensively to sound like a good idea on the 2nd pair. Do we want $5.4M on the 3rd pairing or are we going to suppress Nurse going into his contract year hoping for some cap savings and pair Russell with Ristolainen?

We can have a top pairing of Nurse and Larsson. It's worked before. I dont mind Nurse-Risto either on the 2nd pair

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

There is so much boom/bust with Ristolainen he scares the living **** out of me, fear of missing out if he ever puts it all together and fear of being like Wile E Coyote holding a piece of dynamite too long and watching it blow up directly in my face. Given our cap outlook I don't think he's a risk we can take, despite the skills, his current level of effectiveness is essentially Marc Andre Bergeron (suspect 3rd pairing d-man who's good on the PP, 5 on 5 Risto is getting murdered).

While we don't have enough money for Gardiner either, I'm more down with getting him he's atleast a quality 2nd pairing d-man with a good breakout pass and despite some trademark brain farts sprinkled in, his average level of play is certainly higher than Ristolainen. Gardiner wouldn't scratch the same 1st unit PP d-man itch that Ristolainen would, but he's more of a sure thing. I see Gardiner more as a potential Nurse replacement, a more effective player than Nurse on the near term and while he's certain to be more expensive than Nurse this year, I think there is a decent chance that Gardiner is more likely to be inked to a value deal than Nurse.

Klefbom-Risto I would say playing with Klefbom is sheltering him

Nurse-Larsson

Jones/Laegesson-Persson/Bear/Jones

Russell and Benning both traded. I'd be very happy with that defense compared to what they're projecting to start the year with. Not sure if they have the pieces to acquire Risto.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Buffalo has been shopping him but the ask is rumored to be high.

As far as to the Oilers it seems to be just Stauffer throwing it out randomly.

just a Finnish news site suggesting he won't be a Sabre this fall.

Oh okay....I havent really seen him play all that much. I hear his defensive game is a little lacking.
I was thinking maybe that he just wasnt all that experienced at the NHL level so I checked and was a little surprised to see that he has played over 400 NHL games already.

Not sure who he has been partnered with and how tough his minutes are though although he is being played over 25 minutes a game (the last few years) so he must be getting his fair share of top pairing minutes in Buffalo.
Maybe he is better suited to the 2nd pairing.

Intriguing player none the less. Based on his high TOI I cant imagine what the Oilers would have to give up.
Have to be some salary going Buffalo's way as well.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Risto has the potential to be a 60 point Dman. It would be like turning down a young Burns because his defensive game is bad.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Risto has the potential to be a 60 point Dman. It would be like turning down a young Burns because his defensive game is bad.

I am not suggesting that the Oilers dont pursue Risto...just that he may need a little more sheltering than Buffalo has given him so far.
As I said though I cant imagine what the Oilers would have to package up to get him.

Maybe they value the player Larsson was when he was playing out East. He hasnt been that player for 2 years though.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I am not suggesting that the Oilers dont pursue Risto...just that he may need a little more sheltering than Buffalo has given him so far.
As I said though I cant imagine what the Oilers would have to package up to get him.

Maybe they value the player Larsson was when he was playing out East. He hasnt been that player for 2 years though.

Risto can handle 2nd pairing. The problem is that we have the exact type of player in Bouchard that’s almost NHL ready.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Risto can handle 2nd pairing. The problem is that we have the exact type of player in Bouchard that’s almost NHL ready.

Risto is 5 years further along and it sounds like he is a much better skater than Bouchard. I dont see that as an issue.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Stauffer is pretty notorious for foreshadowing isn't he? Even if the deal doesn't ultimately pan out, I swear he leaks but doesn't leak things the Oilers are working on at least.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Klefbom-Risto I would say playing with Klefbom is sheltering him

Nurse-Larsson

Jones/Laegesson-Persson/Bear/Jones

Russell and Benning both traded. I'd be very happy with that defense compared to what they're projecting to start the year with. Not sure if they have the pieces to acquire Risto.

The Klefbom - Risto pairing would be playing against the other teams best players though...that doesnt really qualify as sheltered minutes.

Although sometimes players are a good match and that makes them more effective, Klefbom is such a smart player that he might be able to pair up well with Risto.
Perhaps better than his current D partner in Buffalo.

Last edited:

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

Canucks were rumoured to offer virtanen and some junk. Good luck to buffalo. How are they in position to ask for a lot is mind boggling. Risto is a bust and borderline 3rd pairing now. He will need to salvage his career soon in his next team or he is done. 2 years ago, everyone here said Nurse was the wrong pick. Now Risto is being shopped like hot garbage.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Haha....what? Risto is closer to the next Marc-Andre Bergeron than Burns. Better get your facts straight before we decide to trade RNH and a first for a bottom pairing Dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad