Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | ChaoticOrange: "The man you're looking for is Joel Persson"

Is Joel Perrson the man you're looking for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Let's look at who they are losing.

Brandon Manning 2.5 mil
Sam Gagner 3.15 mil
Zack Kassian 1.95 mil
Markus Garanlund 1.3 mil
Kyle Brodziak 1.15 mil
Mathew Benning 1.9 mil
Mike Smith 2 mil
Eric Gryba 300k

The rest are bury-able contracts ie. Persson, Nygard.

Other than Kassian, maybe Benning...

Nurse will need a new contract 6 to 8?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think the Oilers will be a better than 80 pt team next season.

I say this while looking at a bottom 6 that I don't feel improved AT ALL.

Basically they got Chiasson back (who'll likely do no better... and possibly worse...) plus a whole bunch of question marks.

So why do I think they'll do better?

Well the bottom 6 couldn't be much worse than last year. Even if that exact bottom 6 group from last year was still around... they'd likely do better because Rieder doesn't likely score zero goals again.

It's very likely that Drai and McD do similarly together or even a slight combined decline because every team is going to be focussing in stopping those 2 because of a lack of anything else in the lineup to worry about... but those 2 also are a year closer to their prime and still improving so it somewhat balances out.

Gagner probably is the 4th best forward on the team right now... but guys like Nygard and Benson could be pleasant surprises. Marody is another that could supply some decent offense in the bottom 6.

Persson/Bouchard/Jones should supply a little more offense on the blueline.

Smith could stup up and be a solid backup or even push for the outright starter spot... which would be huge for the team and would almost guarantee a pts improvement juts based on slightly improved goaltending.

Tippett for a season may provide a better defensive structure... and yes if they trap their way through the season (because that's likely what they'll have to employ without enough offensive talent in the bottom 6/9)... that might also get a few extra pts.

I'm not saying there is reason to think they'll be a LOT better... I just don't really see them being worse either.

I think 85-90 pts is a reasonable range with how the team looks right now.. and that's basically assuming Smith comes up with a ~91% season and a few of Persson/Nygard/Benson/Marody/Gambardella/Bouchard etc have reasonable contributions in the lineup.

We can fill our bottom six with AHL guys and they will probably outscore the bottom six from last year.

Reactions: WIOiler

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think they'll be better in goals against next year but still have massive problems scoring when ever McDavid is not on the ice.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think this season is going to be a developmental year for some of the young guys. We'll see Jones, Bear, Persson and Bouchard get playing time on the back end, while Benson and Marody will get time up front.

So like every MacT year? YESSSS that helped us so much before. It will definitely help us this time around!!! REJOICE

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Trouba who is a true #1 is rumored to be signing for around 7.5 on a long term deal. No RFA years.

Nurse is worth no more than 5 to 6 on a long term deal.
The time for that was last season instead of a bridge I’m sure he would have signed a long term deal at $5-$6 mill but if he puts up another 40+pts this season he’s getting $7 million minimum

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Gusev and a low cost reclamation project like Nichushkin seem like a nice possibility for under $5m combined. The problem is that I don't see Vegas being overly willing to hand us a potential Panarin-level asset on the cheap.

So you really have to question what you're willing to give up to a division rival for a player you have no clue what they bring to the table.

I also have concerns about our ability to tap into the offense of a player who doesn't speak a lick of English.
f*** Nichushkin, we've got 5 AHL forwards who are all more deserving of a shot. I called Nichushkin early on he lacked a dynamic quality to his offense, he had a good power move, but was too predictable, just like I said he'd get a touch of early success, but when the league got the book on him he'd be easily neutralized and that has been exactly the case. Nichushkin does not belong in the NHL in any capacity, let him play in Europe where he belongs.

Then Gusev while it would be nice if he spoke English and would help the transition to the NHL, he's pretty close to a finished product, it isn't a case like a Yak or a Pulju where they were raw players with upside who needed guidance, you just send him over the boards with any of McDavid, Drai, or Nuge and they'll click, while synergy is helped with dialogue, when you play and think the game at a certain level you can intuit a lot of what the other guy is thinking and react accordingly. I think Koskinen is the only player on our current roster capable of speaking Russian.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
**** Nichushkin, we've got 5 AHL forwards who are all more deserving of a shot. I called Nichushkin early on he lacked a dynamic quality to his offense, he had a good power move, but was too predictable, just like I said he'd get a touch of early success, but when the league got the book on him he'd be easily neutralized and that has been exactly the case. Nichushkin does not belong in the NHL in any capacity, let him play in Europe where he belongs.

Then Gusev while it would be nice if he spoke English and would help the transition to the NHL, he's pretty close to a finished product, it isn't a case like a Yak or a Pulju where they were raw players with upside who needed guidance, you just send him over the boards with any of McDavid, Drai, or Nuge and they'll click, while synergy is helped with dialogue, when you play and think the game at a certain level you can intuit a lot of what the other guy is thinking and react accordingly. I think Koskinen is the only player on our current roster capable of speaking Russian.

Yeah I think Maroon and maybe Brassard are really the only decent options left this summer.

Gusev doesn't speak English, which is asking for a disaster here, and who even knows if the guy can play in the NHL.

Nichushkin seems like another Magnus Paajarvi type of guy, can drive the net a bit but no hands.

Maroon I'm relatively confident gives you 15 goals here minimum, at this point it's 15 goals the Oilers can't really afford to look off of.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

Wonder if this could be revisited if a third party is found. Maybe EDM/VAN both retain 50% for Lucic/Eriksson and then Edmonton finds a ~$3M player swap for Eriksson.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He said he wants to get a 3c or top winger he didn’t say he would be able to get one. There are still trade options and I’m holding out judgement for now

‘We’re going to build a good, deep, big defence’: Edmonton Oilers GM Ken Holland speaks after drafting Philip Broberg 8th overall

“We’ve got to get some forwards. I think we have seven NHL defenseman on one way contracts. Certainly I gotta sign a goaltender or acquire a goaltender between now and training camp. I’m looking for some cheaper forwards that can play. At the same time, I think we’d like to get a guy that can be playing in our top-six if possible."

The italicized quote is from Holland himself after night one of the draft. He stated pretty clearly he needs to get some forwards.

It's quotes like this which leads to anticipation of something, especially with day 2 of the draft the next day and free agency shortly after, to happen. Then when it doesn't...well, you've seen the board as of late.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Gusev and a low cost reclamation project like Nichushkin seem like a nice possibility for under $5m combined. The problem is that I don't see Vegas being overly willing to hand us a potential Panarin-level asset on the cheap.

So you really have to question what you're willing to give up to a division rival for a player you have no clue what they bring to the table.

I also have concerns about our ability to tap into the offense of a player who doesn't speak a lick of English.

I don't think any team takes the Oil seriously as threat imo. I'm sure we would have to overpay slightly cuz of division rival but I doubt Macphee thinks if we get Gusev, we stand in their way of a cup. I'm sure the added value we add should get it done

It's Holland and an new staff, so I don't think us developing a foreign player has anything to do with what we've done in the past. That's been management problem, not a geographical one

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Derrick Brassard is probably the best bet they could get at this point. If they offer him a 1 year 2.5 mill and promise him a top six role so he can maybe rebound his value for next year.

It's going to be interesting too if Holland decides to tell Poolparty to shove it, just doesn't seem like Holland really gives much of a crap about young players throwing a temper tantrum, much like those parents that will just let their kid cry it out.

Kassian McDavid Draisiatl
Brassard RNH Chiasson
Gagner Granlund Puljujarvi
Lucic Khaira Nygard

If you can't get Brassard, then I think you have to basically swallow your pride and sign one of Vanek or Maroon.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This offseason has been some Steve Tambellini level of inactivity ****.

I hope that Holland has asked Connor for 1 full season to turn this around since he didn't make this mess. Otherwise Connor might not be too happy when/if we are out of the playoffs again and he sees another Hart and Art Ross slip through his fingers.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Copper & Blue
@CopperandBlue

·
1h
Thinking more about it and the Oilers really can't afford to miss out on Gusev can they? That's an add they pretty much have to be in on, the upside there is could solve a massive need at a relatively low cost

So what are we ponying up to get him? He might have a low AAV cost but the trade cost is unknown. Vegas likely want him out of their division but if we sweeten the pot who knows? We'd still only be a 2 line team up against the cap if he is the real deal so maybe they show us some pity?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
‘We’re going to build a good, deep, big defence’: Edmonton Oilers GM Ken Holland speaks after drafting Philip Broberg 8th overall

“We’ve got to get some forwards. I think we have seven NHL defenseman on one way contracts. Certainly I gotta sign a goaltender or acquire a goaltender between now and training camp. I’m looking for some cheaper forwards that can play. At the same time, I think we’d like to get a guy that can be playing in our top-six if possible."

The italicized quote is from Holland himself after night one of the draft. He stated pretty clearly he needs to get some forwards.

It's quotes like this which leads to anticipation of something, especially with day 2 of the draft the next day and free agency shortly after, to happen. Then when it doesn't...well, you've seen the board as of late.

Riigght, and MacT proclaimed he was going to make bold moves.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
So what are we ponying up to get him? He might have a low AAV cost but the trade cost is unknown. Vegas likely want him out of their division but if we sweeten the pot who knows? We'd still only be a 2 line team up against the cap if he is the real deal so maybe they show us some pity?

The rumored ask was a 2nd, a mid tier prospect and maybe a late pick

I think it's a consensus at this point our 2nd rounders are destined to be early picks, so that value is good. We also have 2 good goalie prospects now, plus Bear, Laggesson, maybe even Jones or Samourokov

Or maybe we sweeten it with a better pick

My point if Holland wanted to make a legit offer on Gusev, for the asking price, we should be able to make a legit offer

It's not like they are asking for a grade A prospect

From the rumors, the ask should be attainable, even from a division rival

If he gets traded for what always seems to be an underwhelming return, I will be pissed unless we hear definitely that McPhee refused to trade within the conference

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Isn't this what we drafted Graham McPhee for?

upload_2019-7-13_20-49-59.jpeg

Reactions: Soli

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Good news

Puljujarvi agent is now saying he never said Puljujarvi wouldn’t play for the Oilers next season . Changing his turn . I am sure he would have spoken up long ago if it wasn’t true .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00