Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Chia Talk Ban | Oilers Sign KHL G Mikko Koskinen, What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
25.5M for the entire defense is reasonable actually. Sekera and Russell contracts can also be moved after next year.

That's not reasonable, that's actually hugely expensive for a top 6 D core. Even Nashville pays less for their top 6, around 22.9M I think and that's with 9M going to Subban. I don't think there's a team in the NHL that pays all 6 of their D 4M+ each.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Love how nearly every conversation about our d end with it being easy to move Sekera and russell
It won't be easy. But I hope management is not going to just sit there and hope things will turn out. Missing the playoffs until the Sekera, Russell and Lucic contract expire is an option

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I honestly had no idea that Lucic is our only natural winger we are spending >=2M AAV on this year. 2nd place is Kassian at 1.95M.

How did this happen? lol

Reactions: Aerrol

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
We are stuck with Lucic. I'm not sure if this was discussed but Gregor and Strudwick were discussing Lucic a few weeks ago. Struds said that Lucic's confidence is shot and he knows as a former player that when you are struggling it's really hard to get out of. You don't want the puck, every play you make you over think it instead of just letting your instincts take over.

Gregor than talked about a conversation he had with Lucic. Looch said that he knows he has to come in fitter as the game is all about speed now. So in the offseason his plan is to drop pounds and work on his skating. He also said he's going to hire a skills coach. Said never worked with one but will be looking into one in the offseason.

A skills coach did wonders for Nurse. Lets hope it does for Lucic as well. I'd hope he'd hire Oates....

I'm hoping for a big turnaround for the big fellow next year.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
We are stuck with Lucic. I'm not sure if this was discussed but Gregor and Strudwick were discussing Lucic a few weeks ago. Struds said that Lucic's confidence is shot and he knows as a former player that when you are struggling it's really hard to get out of. You don't want the puck, every play you make you over think it instead of just letting your instincts take over.

Gregor than talked about a conversation he had with Lucic. Looch said that he knows he has to come in fitter as the game is all about speed now. So in the offseason his plan is to drop pounds and work on his skating. He also said he's going to hire a skills coach. Said never worked with one but will be looking into one in the offseason.

A skills coach did wonders for Nurse. Lets hope it does for Lucic as well. I'd hope he'd hire Oates....

Hopefully he turns his game around next year, otherwise, it's another $6M of cap space wasted.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
LA and Boston are contending. Lucic will only make them worse.

Lucic to the Nucks is perfect actually since they're still rebuilding for another 2 years. They could buy him out once they become more competitive in 3-4 years. He's also from Vancouver. GM Benning also wanted to sign his nephew. Caggiula played with Stecher in college.

What do we give them to take Lucic though? Picks?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
WiNgErS aRe ThE eAsIeSt pIeCe tO pIcK uP iN tHe NhL!

Relative to C and D, that's probably a true statement. Only issue is, you have to actually identify you need to get one. Chia just didn't give a crap. Kassian as our 2nd highest AAV winger. Pouliot buyout sitting #3, lol.

I just hope the NHL is giving Chia a giant pillow with "6M Unused Cap Space" written on it (already taking off McDavid's bonuses) so he can feel nice and comfy lying on that sweet sweet cap space.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Relative to C and D, that's probably a true statement. Only issue is, you have to actually identify you need to get one. Chia just didn't give a crap. Kassian as our 2nd highest AAV winger. Pouliot buyout sitting #3, lol.

Yeah I know, I'm just sick of hearing it repeated over and over as if they're dirt cheap. The ease is relative, getting star wingers is still hard.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I honestly had no idea that Lucic is our only natural winger we are spending >=2M AAV on this year. 2nd place is Kassian at 1.95M.

How did this happen? lol

Chia made a bad gamble that a lot of our younger players on ELC's would take their games to the next level this season (i.e. Caggiula, Slepy, Pulju) and it just hasn't happened.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008

I really hope that he's nursing some sort of injury this season. I hope this is the explanation for his lack of toughness this season and that this is the reason he's avoiding getting into situations where he may have to drop the gloves. No matter how shot his confidence is skill wise, it shouldn't prevent him from playing his physical game. If he's not injured and just doesn't have that fire in him anymore, then that's very troublesome. The physical, hard hitting, angry Lucic is the one that earned the big contract. If he doesn't have that in him anymore, then Katz needs to buy him out or find a way to dump that contract. I'm crossing my fingers that we see the old Lucic next season.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Easily Lucic. I can see Sekera coming back as an effective 2nd pairing guy next season. For Lucic, I'm concerned whether there's even an NHL player there any longer.

They need to start building a medical history for his back...NOW.

He does not look like an NHL player. Hes got stats worse than Mark Fayne over his final 35 games. LTIR him and be done with it.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
if possible who would you rather trade...# 1 pick with Lucic or Sekera ... with the return being the same
Not particularly interested in trading the pick this year and I think moving either one will be cost prohibitive, but I'd move Lucic over Sekera for sure, Sekera's deal is 2 years shorter and cheaper, plus I think Sekera is starting to get back on track, that's a very serious injury to come back from the reasonable expectation is that he won't start playing like himself till next season. While I don't think +/- is the best stat I think it's a bit illustrative of how Sekera's recovery has been going:

First 10 games back= -8
Games 11-20= -5
Last 10 games= -1 (+2 in last 8 games)

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Yeah. I remember reading that.

I have no idea why our management at the time would try to convince a US college commit to go the junior route. It makes absolutely no sense to me. But ultimately the kid still burned his bridge refusing to sign. There will always be bad blood there.

Nash wit

Nash with the oilers is a hot button topic. Version of events I heard had the oilers trying to convince him not to go to uni but JR hockey and that annoyed not only Nash but his family if true..

If that is the case the oilers burned that bridge

The issue at the time (and I may have some things wrong as this was nearly a decade ago now) was that the Oilers had a couple reasons why they were not enamored with Nash's choice.

1 - Cornell wasn't really recognized as a great hockey program at the time
2 - It was rumoured that the main reason Nash wanted to go there was to play with his older brother, who was also part of the Cornell program

IMO there was fault to be had on both sides. Ultimately I think Nash just didn't want to play on a Canadian team.

Fun fact:

Cornell's starting goalie during Nash's rookie season at Cornell? Ben Scrivens, lol.

Nash should never been drafted 21st OA. 3rd or 4th round at best. I know that he's been kicking around the league but Nash was considered a bust back in 2013 and probably before then. Unfortunately, it was MacT's and Pendergast's love-in with the BCJHL that cost us probably getting one or two good players at 30 and 36.

Edmonton Oilers' top 10 all-time worst draft busts: #9 Riley Nash
Riley Nash Might Never Be an Edmonton Oiler

As for not wanting to improve himself or showing any commitment to the team, he not only burned the bridge but bulldozed the remains.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Chia made a bad gamble that a lot of our younger players on ELC's would take their games to the next level this season (i.e. Caggiula, Slepy, Pulju) and it just hasn't happened.

Yeah, for sure. I'm not sure actually who I was expecting to see higher in our player list on capfriendly. It's pretty obvious when you really think about it, that our wing depth is insanely weak and inexperienced. Was still kinda shocked when I looked though, to see Kassian #2, and then 1M or less for the rest (and Pouliot at 1.3M inbetween).

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
LA and Boston are contending. Lucic will only make them worse.

Lucic to the Nucks is perfect actually since they're still rebuilding for another 2 years. They could buy him out once they become more competitive in 3-4 years. He's also from Vancouver. GM Benning also wanted to sign his nephew. Caggiula played with Stecher in college.

Only problem is I'm not sure Lucic wants to go to Vancouver? I believe he would welcome a trade to LA.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
if possible who would you rather trade...# 1 pick with Lucic or Sekera ... with the return being the same

I wouldn't do either right now. Lucic is having a horrible 40 ish games but you have to give him the chance to redeem himself because honestly, we don't really have any other option that doesn't include getting bent over in a trade or carrying a dead cap hit for a decade.

Same with Sekera, takes some time coming off an injury like that.

Reactions: guymez

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If none of our players had a NMC there would be a market for Sekera and Russel, both are useful players on fair contracts. There won’t be a market for Lucic unless he bounces back next season. No one wants an overpayed tough guy that doesn’t fight and is to slow to hit anymore.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
If none of our players had a NMC there would be a market for Sekera and Russel, both are useful players on fair contracts. There won’t be a market for Lucic unless he bounces back next season. No one wants an overpayed tough guy that doesn’t fight and is to slow to hit anymore.
That isn't an accurate criticism, he is top 4 in total hits in the entire NHL at the moment (Larsson is top 10 despite missing a bunch of games). A more fair criticism is he is too slow to hit in time to create a turnover, most of his hits are just finishing checks in that quarter to half a second window after the puck is already gone, the main benefit of hitting is creating puck separation and gaining possession of the puck, Lucic isn't doing that, but he is atleast taking a physical toll on the opposition and just the pressure of someone big like him bearing down on you, can force a d-man to make a play quicker then he would like.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If Lucic has a good off season and Todd (or whoever else is coaching the team next year) limits his ice time and keeps him away from special teams, I could see a rebound for him next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad