Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Chia Talk Ban | Oilers Sign KHL G Mikko Koskinen, What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I could see this if you draft someone like Huges or Ty Smith. But if not, then your left side could be decimated in two years. Right now Bear looks like the best of the Oilers current defense prospects and he is a RH offensive defenseman. Jones is the best of the left handers. He should have a decent shot but is not a sure thing.

The Oilers could afford a guy like Green if he is willing to come for a reasonable number with term.
I see the Oilers drafting Ty Smith at 7 or 8--wherever they end up. Finding a puck-moving LHD as a 6/7 is significantly easier and cheaper than addressing the RHD situation via UFA.

I think the Oilers are likely to utilize that minimal cap space on addressing the need of speed on the wings as opposed to jamming another bulky veteran contract on the back-end. The potential for us bringing back Patrick Maroon in the summer likely disappears if that money goes to Green.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
I really hope that he's nursing some sort of injury this season. I hope this is the explanation for his lack of toughness this season and that this is the reason he's avoiding getting into situations where he may have to drop the gloves. No matter how shot his confidence is skill wise, it shouldn't prevent him from playing his physical game. If he's not injured and just doesn't have that fire in him anymore, then that's very troublesome. The physical, hard hitting, angry Lucic is the one that earned the big contract. If he doesn't have that in him anymore, then Katz needs to buy him out or find a way to dump that contract. I'm crossing my fingers that we see the old Lucic next season.

I think the biggest hindrance to Lurch this year has been the guy standing behind him on the bench. Should be on the 3rd line bone crushing and grinding it out but the chief in charge is religious in his "turn the other cheek" philosophy and instead has him exposed on the first line to help him "produce". Throw in an epic-ly bad pk that has the team more scared to take a penalty than a Mexican tourist fart after a night of tap water and tequila, thus you have Lurches struggles. Kassian as well to some extent.

Reactions: dawunderboy

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think the biggest hindrance to Lurch this year has been the guy standing behind him on the bench. Should be on the 3rd line bone crushing and grinding it out but the chief in charge is religious in his "turn the other cheek" philosophy and instead has him exposed on the first line to help him "produce". Throw in an epic-ly bad pk that has the team more scared to take a penalty than a Mexican tourist fart after a night of tap water and tequila, thus you have Lurches struggles. Kassian as well to some extent.
The 'turn the other cheek' philosophy likely has A LOT to do with the lack of optimism regarding our ability to kill those penalties. We were a more effective hockey team when we were running through people last season. But come this season, the PK falls off the rails and the calls consistently go against us, we're a more passive product.

Last edited:
Reactions: nightfighter

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
They will be getting their rebuild startup kit this June or July for Karlsson.
I'm just thinking if they get a 1st rounder for Karlsson this year and want to continue the re-build by loading up on picks for next year as well

I get why people wouldn't want to pull a Flames by trading away a 1st next year but it's our only tangible asset without trading Klef or RNH

Reactions: MisterD

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Looch said last October the game was about speed and he was working on that in the offseason.
I'm working on booking up with a supermodel. I'm not hopeful about that either.

*The above comment is for illustrative purposes only. I'm not actually trying to get with another woman.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm just thinking if they get a 1st rounder for Karlsson this year and want to continue the re-build by loading up on picks for next year as well

I get why people wouldn't want to pull a Flames by trading away a 1st next year but it's our only tangible asset without trading Klef or RNH

If ts for a signed Karlsson I'd be giving up this and next years first without hesitation unless we won the draft lottery.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Nah. Lucic was a 50 point player last year. He came into this year as the highest scoring winger from last year and the highest paid by triple the amount of the next highest. There would have been zero justification to have him start on the 3rd line behind two AHL-caliber LWers. He was also on a better pace from last year until the Christmas break. So having him in the top-6 was a no-brainer. He started slumping the same time all the other wingers started slumping. If you're the head coach, your not going to drop your GMs prized free agent signing to the 3rd line in place of some other guy that has 4 goals in 25 games and never shown the ability to hit 15 goals or 30 points in a season.

Reactions: dawunderboy

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That sheds no light on things as it only repeats that he missed practice, it doesn't mention the specific reason why.

I mean the odds are likely that he overslept (which would be a bit weird in itself as I don't think it was an 8 AM practice or whatever), but until we hear from Aberg himself, assuming the team even allows him to speak to the media about it, we'll likely not hear exactly why he missed it.
More on Aberg missing practice...

I don't think we're going to see why he missed it, but unless he's had a family emergency, I don't think it's important. Missing a practice as a professional is unacceptable. Especially when you're a 24 year old tweener getting looks next to #97.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
here is my blind idea as to why The Pope missed practice--he went back to Nashville to get more stuff or do something and when he got back to florida he did not set his alarm

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
More on Aberg missing practice...

I don't think we're going to see why he missed it, but unless he's had a family emergency, I don't think it's important. Missing a practice as a professional is unacceptable. Especially when you're a 24 year old tweener getting looks next to #97.

they where on the road when he got in trouble. Since they are all staying at the same hotel i'm gonna hazard a guess he got boozed up and was too hung to practice. seems to fit the limited details they will release

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Here is a hypotetical trade scenerio.

Arizona is offering OEL (who is willing to sign extension at 8m per year). They will also take Russell and move him to a team willing to take on a contract. In this scenerio we know we didnt win a draft lottery and picking around 7th.

Their ask is one of Nurse/Klefbom and either the 2018 1st or the 2019 1st unprotected. Which player do you trade and which pick do you trade?

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton

Arizona is offering OEL (who is willing to sign extension at 8m per year). They will also take Russell and move him to a team willing to take on a contract. In this scenerio we know we didnt win a draft lottery and picking around 7th.

Their ask is one of Nurse/Klefbom and either the 2018 1st or the 2019 1st unprotected. Which player do you trade and which pick do you trade?

Klefbom, Russell, 2019 1st. Gives us one more year to develop this year's pick. Pipe dream though.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Does anyone know how to figure out what a player's buyout would be?

Watching tonights game made me wonder if a team like Carolina would do Lucic for Darling. They have lots of cap and probably want to get a new goalie as Darling has been horrible. If we could do that and then buyout Darling that would be big cap savings.. better then having Lucic for 5 more years.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

Nurse and 2019 first. Nurse had a nice start to the year but I just don’t see much potential in him. His offensive capabilities are pretty limited. Would rather take Klefbom but might be in the minority in that one.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Does anyone know how to figure out what a player's buyout would be?

Watching tonights game made me wonder if a team like Carolina would do Lucic for Darling. They have lots of cap and probably want to get a new goalie as Darling has been horrible. If we could do that and then buyout Darling that would be big cap savings.. better then having Lucic for 5 more years.
Buyout Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Considering the Hurricanes new owner isn't willing to spend the type of money required to hire a good GM, I doubt they'd have any interest in adding a $6M forward to their roster. Especially one who has sucked so badly this season.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Buyout Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Considering the Hurricanes new owner isn't willing to spend the type of money required to hire a good GM, I doubt they'd have any interest in adding a $6M forward to their roster. Especially one who has sucked so badly this season.
True, but you'd think a budget team would be more willing to take a roster player back then have dead cap through a buyout.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
True, but you'd think a budget team would be more willing to take a roster player back then have dead cap through a buyout.
I donno. Seems like wishful thinking.

Just keeping Darling on the roster is less of a hit than Lucic and for a shorter period of time and if they did want to buy him out they could whereas Lucic is sort of buyout proof.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
I don't think it will be a popular or well accepted proposal but a Darnell Nurse trade may:

a) allow PC to win a trade. Nurse's perceived trade value around the league might be higher than his actual value on the Oilers.
b) save PC from overpaying Nurse on his next contract which will likely be north of $5M per year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think it will be a popular or well accepted proposal but a Darnell Nurse trade may:

a) allow PC to win a trade. Nurse's perceived trade value around the league might be higher than his actual value on the Oilers.
b) save PC from overpaying Nurse on his next contract which will likely be north of $5M per year.
With how he has played in the second half, don't think Nurse would have a high perceived value league wide

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
With how he has played in the second half, don't think Nurse would have a high perceived value league wide

It should help in our negotiations. I have time for him but we need some upgrades on other players (Sekera, Russell and Benning all come to mind). We need defensemen that can break the puck out in a hurry.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Nurse and 2019 first. Nurse had a nice start to the year but I just don’t see much potential in him. His offensive capabilities are pretty limited. Would rather take Klefbom but might be in the minority in that one.

This is what I'm thinking too. I think Klefboms contract is amazing and I think he will be back full force next season. As much as I wouldnt want Nurse on another team in the division, we have enough toughness in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad