Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Chia Talk Ban | Oilers Sign KHL G Mikko Koskinen, What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
There should be no penalty for buying a player out. The team free's itself of cap space and the player still gets his money. The only loser is the owner that has to pay to buy the player out. I think that a team should be allowed to buy out 1 player each off season, between the draft and July 1st for 2/3 of the remaining contract without a penalty.

you have to have penalties. otherwise you have teams that will sign up UFAs for 6-8 year terms with the sole intention of buying them out in 2 years. its complete cap circumvention and diminishes the idea of parity and equality in the league.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
This was the worst game so far from Mäenalanen. I don't think he was bad, and he did have a few strong shifts that showed some of his strengths, but like many others in the Finnish team he was fairly invisible and he took a needless penalty. He lost his temper after two Finns were treated roughly, but it's no good excuse.

I just saw some suggestions in the Finnish forums that he'd be put into the 1st line, so obviously some people liked his performance, but I'm expecting a bit more from him than what I saw today.

I got fed up with the only stream I could find by the end of the first period, that would buffer erratically and the quality wasn't what I hoped (the announcers also weren't that great), so I only caught the first period. Unfortunately he wasn't played all that much, I guess mostly due to being on the 4th line. But what I did see of him I liked, albeit it was a very limited viewing. His skating seems very good, especially for his size, and he seems to have some good hockey IQ of where to go and what to do. His line was able to create some good pressure, probably better than the other 3 lines from what I could tell. But the Danes were good at not giving up any (or many) grade-A chances. From what I saw, I think he definitely deserves to be given a chance on the top two lines. With his speed and size he might be able to open up some ice for some other more skilled team-mates than the other two-thirds of the 4th line.

Hopefully the next game wont have the same streaming issues, because I just don't have much patience with that. I almost never have that issue. As I mentioned, the stream was probably overloaded by Leafs fans wanting to see more of Andersen, and fair enough I guess. Seems like this wasn't his or the Finn's best game anyway, so maybe it's a good thing the stream turned me off. ;)

I'll try again next game.

Reactions: GameChanger

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Bookmark this post to show how fickel and premature it was. The same percentages could have been used for Draisiatl, Ryan Johansson, Rantanan, and Barkov.....Pulj is on pace with each of what they did in their second year of pro. Again, Pulj could have been playing junior this year. It gets so old when everyone whines about the lack of development of our prospects but no one wants to wait for the development to happen.

Didn't Draisaitl score 51 points... could have sworn he did!

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Scheifele
In his draft year +2 he barely had a cup of coffee in the NHL, his OHL --> NHL equivalency numbers per Vollman and Desjardins would put him at roughly 0.53 Pts per game in the NHL, which is quite a bit better than Puljujarvi's 0.31 Pts per game. Scheifele also had a huge jump in his OHL goal numbers and points per game from his draft +1 to draft +2 years which demonstrates strong year to year growth. Scheifeles first actual pro season had him put up a 0.54 Pts per game, Scheifele also quickly earned a reputation for being a tireless worker far above the norm, when you combine that attribute with skill it often results in pretty special players.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Scheifele also quickly earned a reputation for being a tireless worker far above the norm, when you combine that attribute with skill it often results in pretty special players.

I mean, Puljujarvi also has a pretty strong reputation as a super-hard worker/training addict as well. I think the key distinction though is whether or not he's training smart. Schiefele has a reputation for not only being completely addicted to hockey, but also studying it very intelligently. Many of his coaches past and present have talked about how much he likes to break down plays - similar to Crosby in that regard.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I disagree in principle since I don't see why GMs should be able to cut themselves loose from their mistakes that easily. Why even have a salary cap? I say give them one buyout per CBA cycle. Choose wisely and tread cautiously.

It then penalizes fans and it’s fans who pay the freight. Every GM makes mistakes and every team (save Vegas) has one or two bad contracts. I can see why the NHLPA doesn’t want more compliance buyouts as their players get less money. But to have one buyout per CBA, that’s not enough and several bad deals can cripple and even kill a weaker franchise.

Reactions: VainGretzky

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
It then penalizes fans and it’s fans who pay the freight. Every GM makes mistakes and every team (save Vegas) has one or two bad contracts. I can see why the NHLPA doesn’t want more compliance buyouts as their players get less money. But to have one buyout per CBA, that’s not enough and several bad deals can cripple and even kill a weaker franchise.
If the NHL does not count the buyout as to the players share the NHLPA would be more than happy to oblige , some details by both sides would have to be worked out , but I can see it happening

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If the NHL does not count the buyout as to the players share the NHLPA would be more than happy to oblige , some details by both sides would have to be worked out , but I can see it happening

That’s true, so long as the players are thrown a monetary advantage in some fashion.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Yeah, the PA would love if compliance buyouts became common place. More money in the pot that doesn't count against the cap. Guys who get bought out very often get another contract immediately after and end up making as much or more money anyway and then that leaves the team doing the buyout more cap space to spend elsewhere. It's the owners that don't like it.

Reactions: VainGretzky

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Not when he was 19

Leon projected better coming out of his Draft+1 season in the WHL than Puljujarvi does in the AHL/NHL today.

I don't see this comparison being useful. Ryan Johansson and Blake Wheeler kind of work. I think that's unlikely, but I could be wrong.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Didn't the last compliance buyout come because they shrank the cap? I doubt they'd bring in compliance buyouts for no reason.

Although, they might change the cap to do something about escrow so who knows?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Leon projected better coming out of his Draft+1 season in the WHL than Puljujarvi does in the AHL/NHL today.

I don't see this comparison being useful. Ryan Johansson and Blake Wheeler kind of work. I think that's unlikely, but I could be wrong.
Drai was bashed mercilessly here after his rookie year, and his WHL showing was strong, but was against teenagers, and it was after he was traded to a contender. Puljujarvi came to us much younger, always had to play against men in the AHL and NHL, and Bakersfield has been a mediocre team.

Personally I view his last stretch of the season this year was a very promising sign. With a good summer he could have a break out season imo.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Drai was bashed mercilessly here after his rookie year, and his WHL showing was strong, but was against teenagers, and it was after he was traded to a contender. Puljujarvi came to us much younger, always had to play against men in the AHL and NHL, and Bakersfield has been a mediocre team.

Personally I view his last stretch of the season this year was a very promising sign. With a good summer he could have a break out season imo.

Maybe I'm just not remembering right, but what did Pulju down the stretch that was promising? Just looking at his stats, didn't have a point in his final 9 games. Only had points in 3 games from March onward.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Didn't the last compliance buyout come because they shrank the cap? I doubt they'd bring in compliance buyouts for no reason.

Although, they might change the cap to do something about escrow so who knows?

That was the case for the first CBA out of the lockout where we lost a season but I think player salaries were cut across the board by 20-25% and players could be bought out once the cap was in place, it was different than the second lockout CBA buyout in technical terms IIRC. The second lockout which cost half a season they allowed 3 compliance buyouts and each team had I think 2 years to use them.

Players don't like escrow but I don't see how under a cap system you can do it any other way.
Either way the owners will have to give up something to get compliance buyouts. Owners will want contract lengths reduced from 7-8 years to 5 years. Players will want the Olympics to be guaranteed. Those 2 will be a fight enough. Not sure if we get compliance buyouts unless they do not factor in vs the cap and player monetary totals. Either way, with Seattle coming on in the same year as the CBA can be optioned out by either the league or the NHLPA, it is going to be very interesting.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

A teenager dominating against teenagers is a better developmental predicative than a teenager failing against adults. I don't think he had a promising stretch to the end the year; I think he was pretty much a non-entity after his quality run of games in November/December.

You can point to Ryan Johansson or Blake Wheeler as potential comparables, and I hope you're right that there's still that chance, but the odds are definitely not favoring that.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah. What is going to be terrible is when the NHL locks out and we miss a year of prime McDavid

The CBA doesn’t expire for a few more years after 2020.
But both can option out in 2020, the league decides first and then the players.
I think the league is going to option in. I think it’ll be the players who option out.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm not able to listen to Bob today...if anyone is listening, does he have any updates on the assistant coaches? All went quiet on the Yawney front and a page or two back someone posted Gulutzan is mulling over some options.

I didn’t hear the entire podcast yet but I didn’t hear anything about the coaches on what I did listen to.

Reactions: McFuhryous

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
you have to have penalties. otherwise you have teams that will sign up UFAs for 6-8 year terms with the sole intention of buying them out in 2 years. its complete cap circumvention and diminishes the idea of parity and equality in the league.

What owner will want to see his money go to waste? If a GM is signing a bunch of bad contracts then he won’t be a GM for very long. Another option would be to limit contracts to 5 years and UFA deals to 4 years.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A teenager dominating against teenagers is a better developmental predicative than a teenager failing against adults. I don't think he had a promising stretch to the end the year; I think he was pretty much a non-entity after his quality run of games in November/December.

You can point to Ryan Johansson or Blake Wheeler as potential comparables, and I hope you're right that there's still that chance, but the odds are definitely not favoring that.
you could be right, but I don't think so. There are cases where a mediocre AHL player does well when they get going in the NHL. Klefbom was that way. He had decent but not great progress in the men's league in Sweden, and then did decent but underwhelming in the AHL. Now, just because Klef seems fine doesn't mean that he had the best path, but I'm mainly saying that it's not exactly certain.

Also we've seen Nurse have struggles in the NHL as well, and he did stay in the CHL for his development.

I generally believe that if they have the talent, it will come out no matter their path.

Reactions: PulYou
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad