Rumor: Rumours & Proposals - (Chia discussion will be met with a threadban)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
take the 3 players on our team signed to the cheapest salary and that's what we have to give up, Melnyk is the cheapest owner in the league, offer him some coupons and discount codes for amazon and he would give you Karlsson

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

North

Jun 25, 2009
Acc

According to send fans pizza boy and first is the starting point

Those Sens fans are dreaming if they think they are going to get Puljujarvi or any prospect on that level for Hoffman.

Hoffman isn't the type of player you give up that type of high end asset for.

Yamamoto maybe you give up but I'm even wavering on that just because of our need to be able to cycle in cheap ELC forwards.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
People, for some perspective...

Hoffmann
0.32 Goals Per Game
0.67 Points Per Game
5.188M AAV - 5.65M salary (2.5 seasons remaining)

Eberle
0.32 Goals Per Game
0.75 Points Per Game
6M AAV (2 seasons remaining when traded)

Eberle fetched Ryan Strome - essentially a downgrade and salary dump. So, let's stop throwing around Yamamoto in trade speculation for Hoffman. You're looking at something more like Caggiula/Slepyshev/Strome and a draft pick (2nd rounder max). I could see the Oilers being willing to include one of their defensive prospects not named Caleb Jones instead of the draft pick. If the Sens can do better in the trade market then good on them. Chiarelli helped establish the market for a pricy winger like Hoffman last summer when Eberle was dealt and there's no reason to step outside that range. Chiarelli cannot simply lose trade after trade any longer (no need to mention that the Maroon and Talbot deals were good; I'm speaking of other deals that have not been great value wise).

The huge logical fault here is that the Eberle/Strome trade was made by Chia, who has a long history of losing the vast majority of his trades. I would expect pretty much any GM in the league to be able to do better in a similar trade. Ottawa will get a LOT more than a "Strome equivalent" for Hoffman.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Strome for Hoffman would be the steal of the decade. But it won't happen.
I don't know that it would be the "steal of the decade, but it would definitely be a win for the Oilers. I suspect the Oilers will have to give up more then that, but not astronomically more assets.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Acc

According to send fans pizza boy and first is the starting point

Further proof that when it comes to judging trade value in a player, the fans of that player's team are more often than not the worst people to ask.

I still recall back when just before the Oilers traded for Pitkanen, how the Flyers fans were so sure that it would take top level prospects and picks as an offer just to "get the conversation started"...and how outraged and confused they were when all it took to get him was a couple of 2nd round picks. That was pretty funny.

EDIT:

Disregard this idiotic post, I was actually thinking of the Niinimaa deal and somehow got Pitkanen's name mixed up in there. Sheesh.

Last edited:

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
The huge logical fault here is that the Eberle/Strome trade was made by Chia, who has a long history of losing the vast majority of his trades. I would expect pretty much any GM in the league to be able to do better in a similar trade. Ottawa will get a LOT more than a "Strome equivalent" for Hoffman.

Of course you will get a better deal for Hoffman since he is a better player and played on a much(except this year)better team.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
As much as some people want to push the "Chia is a moron" narrative, he didn't move Eberle for Strome in order to make a bad deal, he did it because it was the best offer available. Sure, he could have waited longer, but there was some pressure to move a contract with the McDavid and Draisaitl contracts coming up. Eberle also didn't help his bargaining position by being invisible in the playoffs.

I'm just pointing out that Strome was the best offer in the summer for Eberle (at least in terms of adding an NHL player rather than picks/prospects). Ottawa is in a similar though not as weak a position when it comes to Hoffman. If they want to move him they won't be getting a king's ransom for him. Again, he's got a great shot, but he's also never scored more than 29 goals in a season.

Last year, Hoffman scored 26 goals, ranking 44th in goals in the NHL. He'd have ranked 4th on the Oilers in goals last year behind McDavid, Leon and Maroon. His production was comparable to Evander Kane, Kyle Turris, Michael Grabner and Kris Kreider, who all played a similar number of games. He's not elite folks. He's a very good player and a definite top 6 winger. Eberle also produces at that level consistently. There's no flaw in that logic.

Caggiula/Strome, a 2nd rounder in 2018 and 3rd rounder in 2019 would be a fair deal. I wouldn't trade more than that and if the Sens want to move out his salary that's the kind of deal they will be left with.

This is actually the reason I don't see the Sens trading Hoffman in the end.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I'd love to see Hoffman on the team. Not sure how to articulate this but.. good things happen when he is on the ice. Isn't flashy and doesn't ooze talent yet he makes good things happen. One thing I have noticed is he is very good at making himself available for a pass or shot, something that would help our d on breakouts and would mesh well with our puck carrying centres.

Have no idea about trade value nor if the cap hit fits. Yamamoto + our 2nd + (Strome or a 3rd team taking Strome for futures and giving the return to OTT). Perhaps Arizona would take the brother for a pick.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009

Take a look at his shot. Our PP could very well use this. He also goes to dirty areas unlike Eberle did.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Further proof that when it comes to judging trade value in a player, the fans of that player's team are more often than not the worst people to ask.

I still recall back when just before the Oilers traded for Pitkanen, how the Flyers fans were so sure that it would take top level prospects and picks as an offer just to "get the conversation started"...and how outraged and confused they were when all it took to get him was a couple of 2nd round picks. That was pretty funny.
Jason Smith and Joffrey Lupul, actually.

North

Jun 25, 2009

They may be able to do better but more in a quantity rather than quality way.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I am having fun with the twits on the main board that keep posting Nuge is a third line center--even thou he is 35th in pts for centers

Oh I love this debate...
Top 15 (11th) in 2012 before his injury
Top 60th in 2013
Top 30 in 2014
Top 30 in 2015
Top 30 in 2016 before his wrist injury
62nd in 2017
Top 40 again in 2018

That means:
1 of 7 seasons he's a top 15C in the league
4 of 7 seasons he's, at least, a top 30C in the league
6 of 7 seasons he's, at least, a top 60C in the league
1 of 7 seasons he barely misses the top 60

People arguing he's a third line C are basing their argument on 14% of his very young career.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

North

Jun 25, 2009
One thing I'll say about the Sens recent trade history, if you look at the big trades they made, almost uniformly, the player they sent the other way has been better for their new team than the one the Sens got in return.

It's not like the Sens appear to be that great at analyzing trade value.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Take a look at his shot. Our PP could very well use this. He also goes to dirty areas unlike Eberle did.

Man, people have really made up some revisionist history when it comes to Eberle. He wasn't much for going into the corners, but his bread and butter is the area in and around the front of the net.

Reactions: Aerrol

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think you definitely have to add sweetener to Strome, but

Think he is similar to Ebs actually. Ebs goes to the net too when the lane is clear and he can get in and out quickly. Neither guy is going to just hang around and battle in front of the net. They are both minimally physical players, but not a big deal if you're crafty enough to sneak into the high danger zones at the right time.

Biggest dif is shooting style. Ebs always wants to wrist or backhand the perfect shot. Hoffman just wants to hammer it home ASAP.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
Man, people have really made up some revisionist history when it comes to Eberle. He wasn't much for going into the corners, but his bread and butter is the area in and around the front of the net.

I think he got a little more gunshy about that after his injury. That happens and maybe he's worked through that fear of getting injured again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad