Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Dzingel is not signing here, he's an American that wants to be in an American market. Ferland would've signed here.

Reactions: MisterD

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I can as well but I am the eternal optimist. I think it will be 5- 8 points separating 3rd from 6th/7th. It will be tight.

That could very well be the case. I see a bunch of average teams in this division so the point spread could be very tight after Vegas and San Jose

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
This organization is the one that looks dumb, not the people who are critical.

The Oilers ask their fanbase to drink their kool-aid PR every summer and have a new "philosophy" to sell each year, this is nothing new.
Hit the nail on the head right there!

Reactions: Beerfish

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This team doesn't have anyone big that's going to "take the next step" and really impact anything.

Caleb Jones can maybe play the bottom pairing without drowning, the forward prospect pool is kinda ass.

Exactly. Where's the growth potential?

Benson and Jones are nice prospects but they aren't exactly on the verge of making a significant NHL impact and there isn't a high end skill level with either. McDrai are playing as well as can reasonably be asked, same with Nuge and Chiasson.
Klefbom and Larsson are pretty much what they are at this point IMO, Nurse could take another step so he's one possibility, Russell is what he is, Benning could still improve but there isn't much upside there.

At forward, where is the growth going to come from? You have Lucic, Kassian, Granlund, Gagner, Khaira, Cave, Brodziak and the Euros. It's a bunch of guys who have already peaked and who have moderate upside. Maybe the Euros make a big impact but it's not like we're talking about Panarin or Gusev level players overseas. There just isn't much growth potential with this current group.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Dzingel is not signing here, he's an American that wants to be in an American market. Ferland would've signed here.

Probably true... but if he and his agent are smart ... no better opportunity in the NHL to get top 6 mins and chance to play with McDavid or Drai to boost his numbers for a bigger payday down the road

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If you want to complain when something doesn't happen, that's fine. But when the guy tells you himself; and all of the media spend the next two weeks telling you they're trying, maybe wait until nothing actually happens before you start crying about it.

Just makes you look stupid.
Actions speak louder than words.

Do or do not, there is no try.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
As sad is it was, he still looked like our best puck moving D when he returned.
Can’t disagree with that. But at 5.5 mil I believe buying him out and letting one of our prospects make the jump was the right call. Even if it stings a little I think we will be better for it going forward. But what do I know I’m just an arm chair gm lol

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Next summer Oilers will have about $27 million in cap. Assuming an $83 million cap and current signed players return. That will be 10 players signed to the roster and will need to fit in:

• Goalie
  • 4 defensemen (Nurse the most notable free agent here)
  • 8 forwards

Sort of-not really.

The Oilers key roster players are all under contract except for Darnell Nurse. Most of what will occupy those spots are role players. Kris Russell has 1 year left with a 15 team trade list and 1.5M remaining in real salary. The Oilers will know, one way or the other, about Mikko Koskinen - which means buyout or they're more comfortable with him starting. The number today is 27M, it could be as much as 35M as a starting point for 12 positions, 6-8 of which will be role positions.

Not to mention RNH and Larsson will be needing new deals after next season as well if they want to stay. All three can have a $17 million total cap hit RNH($7 mill) Nurse($5)Larsson($5) Nurse might even cost more

Also: Not really.

RNH and Larsson need contracts in 2021. The Oilers only 37M in allocated cap for 2021 right now. That cap is expected to rise significantly. This will not be an issue. And as an aside, I actually don't think they're likely to care about Adam Larsson that much. We'll see where the Bouchard/Bear/Persson cluster goes and what they do with RHD in the next two years.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
On paper this is how i see the division going. With the Oilers and Anaheim fighting it other for last place.

Vegas
San Hose
Calgary
Vancouver
Arizona
LA
Anaheim
Edmonton

However the mostly dead optimist in me says basically every team in the division is beatable. The division is currently the weakest I think it has ever been. No true power house. No tier one team period.

Vegas, SJS, and Calgary should easily win the division. But if one of those 3 falter and the Oilers surprise in a good way. They, or anyone else in the division, could sneak in.

I would be shocked if the Pacific even came close to a wild card spot.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It's not a typical year, first of. We've already heard that agents think it's going to be a record setting year for PTOs.

When the man himself tells you he wants to accomplish something and will try over the next two months, there's really only one logical stance: Wait it out. I'll be with you if they completely whiff.

Oh well if he 'wants' to accomplish something then all is forgiven....seeing as the oilers have been saying that for 15 years and then telling us how it was impossible to accomplish something afterwards.

The time for trust for this team at any level is 5 years or more ago. It is now up to them to prove it and change the minds of the fans and earn some trust. Until then each move or non-move will be met with good deal of skepticism and distrust, as it should after almost 15 years of total ineptitude.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I rather not to be honest. I rather build a respectfully team with quality depth and make some changes when you are ready for the next step.

UFA route is a very dangerous route to make significant changes

As of today there aren't a lot of young free agents available next year. Adding a 29-31 year old on a 6-7 year deal just seems like making past mistakes again.

Hopefully at some point we are looking at adding salary through a hockey trade and not free agency
Exactly.

That's the Oilers way though. LETS WAIT UNTIL EVERYTHING LINES UP WITH THE CAP SPACE, EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE GARBAGE PLAYERS. Everything has to go perfect.

Do not try to give any solid legit NHL players any money or term and be a club where the fans can walk around in an Oilers jersey without shame. A respectful NHL team.

Lets wait another year and hope our non proven players and guys like Benson step in!

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Mock offseason next year. We've got just over 6 million in cap after signing everyone and burying Russell (only 1 million in cap savings), so I signed Mikael Granlund.

upload_2019-7-10_21-43-8.png

Reactions: EagerPug

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Oh well if he 'wants' to accomplish something then all is forgiven....seeing as the oilers have been saying that for 15 years and then telling us how it was impossible to accomplish something afterwards.

The time for trust for this team at any level is 5 years or more ago. It is now up to them to prove it and change the minds of the fans and earn some trust. Until then each move or non-move will be met with good deal of skepticism and distrust, as it should after almost 15 years of total ineptitude.

The man who is telling you that he's working on something - and the MSM all agrees that he has - has been on the job for seven weeks.

Even if this were like years past - and it's not, there's certainly never been a point in an offseason like this where the GM tells everyone what exactly he wants to add and the timeframe in which he wants to do it - maybe wait until he doesn't before crying like baby over literally nothing.

Reactions: Ck1

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The man who is telling you that he's working on something - and the MSM all agrees that he has - has been on the job for seven weeks.

Even if this were like years past - and it's not, there's certainly never been a point in an offseason like this where the GM tells everyone what exactly he wants to add and the timeframe in which he wants to do it - maybe wait until he doesn't before crying like baby over literally nothing.
It's great that he's trying and I have no doubt he's putting in the grunt work.

But you don't make a team better by simply trying. Eventually something has be accomplished. As of right now the Oilers are better than maybe one team in their division, and that needs to change by the time training camp comes around. The draft is gone, and the majority of impact free agents have departed. Things can still happen but the more time passes the less likely it becomes. Who are the Oilers even talking to right now? Maroon?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Exactly. Where's the growth potential?

Benson and Jones are nice prospects but they aren't exactly on the verge of making a significant NHL impact and there isn't a high end skill level with either. McDrai are playing as well as can reasonably be asked, same with Nuge and Chiasson.
Klefbom and Larsson are pretty much what they are at this point IMO, Nurse could take another step so he's one possibility, Russell is what he is, Benning could still improve but there isn't much upside there.

At forward, where is the growth going to come from? You have Lucic, Kassian, Granlund, Gagner, Khaira, Cave, Brodziak and the Euros. It's a bunch of guys who have already peaked and who have moderate upside. Maybe the Euros make a big impact but it's not like we're talking about Panarin or Gusev level players overseas. There just isn't much growth potential with this current group.

Yup.

Even if Nygard and Haas are 10 goal players, that probably only accounts for downswings from Draisaitl and Chiasson.

Basically we’re left hoping a career 25 point player in Granlund magically becomes a 50 point guy and one of Jurco/Benson/Marody/Yamamoto jumps up and steals a spot.

Relying on rookies and sub NHL quality forwards to become overnight top sixers while weakening the defence with no real plan to improve it aside from more rookies...I feel like I’ve seen this plan of action before.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton

I believe Holland is working hard on changing this team and making it better. But it was never going to be an overnight change and he’s not going to be pushed into making a change just for the sake of pleasing the fans only to have it backfire on him. He’s going to take his time make the best choices for the team and if it takes a little longer then most fans want then so be it. I believe Holland will make this team better it’s just going to take a little time

Reactions: bzur

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's great that he's trying and I have no doubt he's putting in the grunt work.

But you don't make a team better by simply trying. Eventually something has be accomplished. As of right now the Oilers are better than maybe one team in their division, and that needs to change by the time training camp comes around. The draft is gone, and the majority of impact free agents have departed. Things can still happen but the more time passes the less likely it becomes. Who are the Oilers even talking to right now? Maroon?

Hell it even sounds like Brassard thinks he’s worth 4x4.

The only guys I could conceivably see coming here short term in the 2-3 mil range are Pominville or Vanek. Woohoo.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

The only guys I could conceivably see coming here short term in the 2-3 mil range are Pominville or Vanek. Woohoo.

I wonder: What would your master plan as General Manager of the Oilers, with 7 weeks on the job and less than 10M in cap space be this year? Trade first round picks and prospects to flex for cap space to sign... who? Do what? What is your idea?

Are you just screaming into the void or do you think something else should be happening than signing "Vanek or Pominville"?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

In a more standard year, Brassard probably gets a contract similar to what Bonino got a couple offseasons ago. It's the perfect storm of cap didn't go up much and teams are cap space poor.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I wonder: What would your master plan as General Manager of the Oilers, with 7 weeks on the job and less than 10M in cap space be this year? Trade first round picks and prospects to flex for cap space to sign... who? Do what? What is your idea?

Are you just screaming into the void or do you think something else should be happening?

Pretty simple. Instead of signing 12 fourth liners and overpaying for Mike Smith, sign at least one - just one - player capable of playing in the top six. Show some creativity in moving contracts like everyone else does.

I damn sure wouldn’t have wasted 60% of my available cap space on Chiasson Granlund and Smith.

You seem to forget he sat on his thumbs and let Detroit wallow in mediocrity for three seasons once all his good players retired. Did age surprise him? He had to know they were reaching the end of the line. Are you comfortable with him doing the same thing here? Because we’re going to be absolute ass this year and even the biggest Holland Stans can see that. They’re just creative in coming up with more excuses as to why it’s okay that he’s done virtually nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad