Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
More rumor mongering, Stone would be open to a friendly long term deal with the Jets

I know folks are laying out all kinds of scenarios where we can keep both Wheeler and sign Stone but to me the Stone boat sailed the minute we signed Wheeler. Although I must admit I am intrigued by the prospect of signing a big fish player with the Jets. Stone is exactly what Laine needs... one of the best if not the best play driving winger in the entire league.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
That was included the rental price for Stone.

The big idea is the Jets finding a way to sign Stone as a UFA. It's a plausible enough scenario, but would require the Jets to rejig their cap structure.

They would almost certainly have to move Connor for an ELC player and/or futures (i.e. prospect / pick). They couldn't afford Connor and Stone on long term deals. So, you could trade Connor for assets and acquire Stone as a UFA.

Now you have to think about Trouba. If he is willing to sign with the Jets for 7.5m or less, and you could get Stone for just over 8m, you might be able to fit them both under an 83m cap, if you let go of Myers, Kulikov, Perreault, Copp and Tanev, replacing them with cheap replacements. But you would start running into problems when you need to re-sign Morrissey, Roslovic and others. If Trouba won't re-sign, then you could use a Connor trade to acquire a cheaper top 4 D, and trade Trouba to restock the pipeline with talented forward prospects.

The Jets can't afford Stone long term, and we really don't want to become a team that moves a lot pieces around, breaks up the chemistry. The thought I had is bringing up Samberg next year to replace Trouba, as he does have the same skill set.

We could look at re-signing Myers (2/$10m), Laine (6/$50m), Connor (2/$6m), Chiarot (2/$4m), Brossoit (2/$4m), Lemieux, Petan.

Trade Trouba, Copp for Borgstrom (ELC), prospect, and 1st (20).

Keep the team together for the next 2 years, with only Kulikov moving. Stanley to take his place. And Perreault, after a year of development from Veselainen.
Making room to re-sign Morrissey, then Connor (long-term).

If Myers took the hometown discount, we'd be hard to knock off, and he'd give us 2 years to develop a replacement.

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perreault-Borgstrom-Laine
Connor-Little-Roslovic
Lemieux-Lowry-Appleton
Petan

Veselainen/Suess/maybe Spacek as call ups.

Morrissey-Samberg
Chiarot-Buff
Kulikov-Myers
Niku/Poolman

Keeps a lot of pieces (building blocks) in place. If Samberg is not ready, at least Myers can step up, and Niku gets a look on the bottom pairing.

I don't think this team would have to make a lot of adjustments. But with Borgstrom they would have greater strength up the middle.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think a few teams are interested in Hayes including the Preds and Sharks. I think he could go for a lot.

So Duchene and Stone will likely be availble but from what I understand Dorion is a bit of an ass to deal with. He expects the moon for these guys and teams will balk I think which is why they got a "crap" deal for Karlsson.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
More rumor mongering, Stone would be open to a friendly long term deal with the Jets
If the Jets could sign Stone long-term for 8.5M or so, then they have to be really tempted to make that happen.

They would likely need to move Connor to make the cap situation work, but acquiring a top-end player like Stone for a rental price is too tempting to let it slide. They can then trade Connor to recoup the rental price and more in the off-season.

Keeping Trouba would be a stretch, but they might be able to manage it, at least for next season...

upload_2019-1-7_20-25-44.png

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think a few teams are interested in Hayes including the Preds and Sharks. I think he could go for a lot.

So Duchene and Stone will likely be availble but from what I understand Dorion is a bit of an ass to deal with. He expects the moon for these guys and teams will balk I think which is why they got a "crap" deal for Karlsson.
I think Chevy will hold firm to his valuation for a player like Stone. If Dorion wants to play hard-ball, then someone else can overpay, or Dorion can keep him, and Chevy can pursue him as a UFA in the off-season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Chevy will hold firm to his valuation for a player like Stone. If Dorion wants to play hard-ball, then someone else can overpay, or Dorion can keep him, and Chevy can pursue him as a UFA in the off-season.

I would rather not expend assets for a player that plays a position that we don't really need. If he is willing to sign here in the summer for a decent rate then that is a different story but I still don't see how we can afford to have 3 players on the wing making >8 million. That is too much cash tied up in the least important position on the team. I'd rather allocate it to defense.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
So from what I gather, this is what I think is happening in the brain trust

I know people think making a big trade doesn't always mean you win the cup but if you look at teams like Washington(Traded for Oshie,Eller and Shattenkirk and they managed to hold on to Oshie and Eller long term) or Pittsburgh(Traded for Kessel,Hagelin and Bonino, They kept Kessel). I think they feel you can make deals and kept those players that fit your team. I think they thought they had that with Statsny until he got a real good deal from Vegas.

I think they believe they can make a trade for a player who will fit in to this team and keep them. You have to remember Chevy cut his teeth in Chicago and they brought in Hossa,Campbell etc.. and they had that really good prospect pool for a long time.

This is our time now. If that means bringing in the big fish and keeping him if it works they are going to do just that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I know people think making a big trade doesn't always mean you win the cup but if you look at teams like Washington(Traded for Oshie,Eller and Shattenkirk and they managed to hold on to Oshie and Eller long term) or Pittsburgh(Traded for Kessel,Hagelin and Bonino, They kept Kessel). I think they feel you can make deals and kept those players that fit your team. I think they thought they had that with Statsny until he got a real good deal from Vegas.

I think they believe they can make a trade for a player who will fit in to this team and keep them. You have to remember Chevy cut his teeth in Chicago and they brought in Hossa,Campbell etc.. and they had that really good prospect pool for a long time.

This is our time now. If that means bringing in the big fish and keeping him if it works they are going to do just that.

I don't have an issue with bringing in a big fish long term but I don't really want to see us mortgage the farm again for another rental who walks in the summer. Our prospect pool isn't all that amazing anymore and I don't feel we can afford to deplete it further for a short term fix.

I also think if the team wants to land a big fish then they should target an impact dmen or a Center.

Stone is a great player and like him but we are stacked in our top 2 at RW and really don't need him. I don't think he turns the needle enough for us unless the plan is to deal Laine for a Stud dmen or Center.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I'm okay with Stone as a rental if they can also sign him long term. I think that's feasible if they move Connor in the offseason, and perhaps Trouba. They would get a serious discount in terms of acquiring a player of Stone's stature, and they would be able to trade Connor and Trouba for a big haul to not only secure the roster on D but also to build up a war chest of futures. Vesalainen is a very nice young player on an ELC that can replace some or all of what Connor provided on the wing in the short term.

However, I would be skeptical of trading a bunch of future assets for Stone as a pure rental without re-signing him. The Jets can't shorten their window that much. They aren't the Hawks or Pens in terms of attracting free agents and will always need to keep a close eye on their draft and develop pipeline to maintain a competitive team over the long haul.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Ottawa has some good depth pieces, and IMO that should be a target for us for a long playoff run too.

Somebody like Dzingel could be a really good add to the bottom 6, with an ability to play on any line.

I also like Dylan Demelo but I'm not sure if they'd move him. Our RHD depth is pretty weak behind the 3 regulars.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What would Connor cost from Edmonton?
A lot.

I'd say Klefbom +, but his injury situation and history takes him out of serious consideration.

If the Jets land Stone, as some rumors suggest, and they can re-sign him, then you might consider a future oriented trade, which could include Bouchard or some other prime asset.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm okay with Stone as a rental if they can also sign him long term. I think that's feasible if they move Connor in the offseason, and perhaps Trouba. They would get a serious discount in terms of acquiring a player of Stone's stature, and they would be able to trade Connor and Trouba for a big haul to not only secure the roster on D but also to build up a war chest of futures. Vesalainen is a very nice young player on an ELC that can replace some or all of what Connor provided on the wing in the short term.

However, I would be skeptical of trading a bunch of future assets for Stone as a pure rental without re-signing him. The Jets can't shorten their window that much. They aren't the Hawks or Pens in terms of attracting free agents and will always need to keep a close eye on their draft and develop pipeline to maintain a competitive team over the long haul.

The problem with moving Conner is that it makes our top 6 a decent amount slower. If we where to get Stone I would like to keep both Ehlers and Conner to keep some element of speed and shiftyness in the top 6.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
The Jets can't afford Stone long term, and we really don't want to become a team that moves a lot pieces around, breaks up the chemistry. The thought I had is bringing up Samberg next year to replace Trouba, as he does have the same skill set.

We could look at re-signing Myers (2/$10m), Laine (6/$50m), Connor (2/$6m), Chiarot (2/$4m), Brossoit (2/$4m), Lemieux, Petan.

Trade Trouba, Copp for Borgstrom (ELC), prospect, and 1st (20).

Keep the team together for the next 2 years, with only Kulikov moving. Stanley to take his place. And Perreault, after a year of development from Veselainen.
Making room to re-sign Morrissey, then Connor (long-term).

If Myers took the hometown discount, we'd be hard to knock off, and he'd give us 2 years to develop a replacement.

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perreault-Borgstrom-Laine
Connor-Little-Roslovic
Lemieux-Lowry-Appleton
Petan

Veselainen/Suess/maybe Spacek as call ups.

Morrissey-Samberg
Chiarot-Buff
Kulikov-Myers
Niku/Poolman

Keeps a lot of pieces (building blocks) in place. If Samberg is not ready, at least Myers can step up, and Niku gets a look on the bottom pairing.

I don't think this team would have to make a lot of adjustments. But with Borgstrom they would have greater strength up the middle.

Stop this Chiarot talk he’s a very bad player and doesn’t deserve a raise. The Jets can replace him for far less than 1.4 mil.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
A lot.

I'd say Klefbom +, but his injury situation and history takes him out of serious consideration.

If the Jets land Stone, as some rumors suggest, and they can re-sign him, then you might consider a future oriented trade, which could include Bouchard or some other prime asset.

So if Connor were to be moved it would be in the off-season? There's apparently heavy pressure from our owner to make the playoffs this year, our 1st, Puljujarvi, Bear, etc are all on the block.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Connor has far less controlled zone entries by my eye. Ehlers has to be near the top of the league.

Ehlers is getting terribly underrated here. He has become an outstanding 2 way player. He covers a lot of ice and does it effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad