TSN Radio Rumour: Phaneuf to Oilers for Gagner and #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Not at all.....but people who think that Dion has a huge value are not at all being realistic....he does not have a high value with that anchor of a contract tied to him.

Anchor based on what exactly?

I think anyone calling a player like Phaneuf @ $7 million overpaid or anchors needs a lesson in how the NHL salary cap works.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I guess then you know then? Please he is so overrated on this board that it is laughable, add in his contract and you have a very low value.

How is Dion over rated on these boards lol? More then half the posts **** on him every chance they get. Dion has real value though, doesn't really matter what peoples opinions are on him on here.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

I think anyone calling a player like Phaneuf @ $7 million overpaid or anchors needs a lesson in how the NHL salary cap works.

Alright teacher, class in session. Go ahead and explain to the people who you think don't get it.

Ignorance is bliss

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
If Bolland doesn't re-sign then you have Bozak, Gagner, Kadri and Holland down the middle after you make this rumoured trade.

Even with Sam Gagner our center ice position is not a very strong one.

If we dealt Phaneuf for 3rd + Gagner it's a clear sign we're building towards the future and I'd view both as trade chips.

After next season Kadri is going to get a whole lot more expensive and is 3 yeas from UFA status but I don't see him as the type of center to commit big dollars to when I look at contending team of the last decade.

Kadri might be valuable at 2.9 but at something like 5 I would absolutely hate him and wish we traded him for a high pick or as a package for an A level talent who can be a top player on a top team.

AddMan3001

Don't poke the bear!
Sep 16, 2007
Cambridge, ON
I guess then you know then? Please he is so overrated on this board that it is laughable, add in his contract and you have a very low value.

He may be over-rated on the Leaf board, but he's criminally under-rated anywhere else on HFboards. You make a poll, it'll come back saying a 7th rounder. GMs know better than us idiots, and we can rag on Phaneuf all we want, but the guy is a top pairing D-Man who logs some of the toughest minutes around. Is he overpaid? Yea, a little bit. But as other have said, Edmonton doesn't have the option of signing a guy like Phaneuf, so if they want someone of his caliber it would have to be through trade, and they'd have to pay.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

He's overpaid right now. He's got one of the top cap hits regarding D-men yet he's probably only a top 20 D-man, if I'm being generous ofcourse.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

Bob McKenzie tweeted today that double digit AAV numbers could become the new norm for star players citing that Kane/Toews initial ask has been 12M AAV. Based on that scale, I think that 7M for Dion is perfectly reasonable.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The main board has an Eklund drop down option :laugh::laugh::laugh:, no one is concerned about what a bunch of gullible kids think.

You calling me a kid, because I do not agree with you, makes you very immature. I have been around long enough to watch the last Stanley Cup parade in Toronto.

Why not stick to the discussion, rather than resorting to childish behaviour.

DaveT83*

Man would it be fun to be the GM of the Leafs right now and completely blow this mess up.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Phaneuf + 3rd round pick

for

3rd overall + Gagner

then

8th overall + JVR + 4th round pick

for

1st overall + Howden + Kulikov

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Phaneuf to Edmonton in a deal for the 3rd. (Phaneuf + 8th for Gagner + 3rd)

Kessel to Florida in a deal for the 1st . (1st + Huberdeau + 2nd in 2015)

Draft Ekblad & Bennett/Reinhart and the draft rebuild Shanahan era is well underway and even Morrison couldn't mess up with 2 X picks in the top 3.

McDavid/Eichel here we come in 2015.

This team building really isn't all that hard when you put your mind to it. :sarcasm:

would be a pretty good sorry to morrison for trading away all his picks for the past ~10 years.

even with kessel AND phaneuf the leafs have some pieces -bernier, rielly, jvr, add in ekblad and bennett/reinhart that would be nuts.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@FredPoulin98: According to @TSN1050Radio, the #Leafs would trade Dion Phaneuf to the #Oilers for Sam Gagner and the 3rd overall draft pick. #Rumors

@TSN1050Radio: @FredPoulin98 no one said that

Lock er up

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You are very mistaken if you think that Dion has huge value in the trade Market as well as being a #1 D man. I dare you to post a poll on the main board about either.....

You are very mistaken if you think there's any more objectivity on the main board than on this board. :laugh:

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Alright teacher, class in session. Go ahead and explain to the people who you think don't get it.

Ignorance is bliss

As the cap goes up, the average salary goes up due to there being a cap floor meaning you have to spend money whether you actually want to do it or not.

A top pairing defenceman like Phaneuf easily commands a salary above the NHL average.

If the cap is 70 million the Average is a shade over $3 million. As it heads toward 80 the average heads to almost $3.5 million. Keep in mind for these numbers that the players on ELC's are mostly on cost controlled deals at or slightly under $1 million and the league minimum is $500K for vets and each team has 1 or 2 of those kicking around and you end up having to spend even more on the Phaneufs as the cap continues to rise.

I guess you can choose to give the Hemsky's of the world the money as UFA's but i'd rather have a top pairing Dman at that number that other teams view as attractive for all the reasons listed above.

$7 million is nothing close to an anchor today and as the cap goes up it's even farther away from being 1.

And yes, Phaneuf is a top pairing defenceman on all but maybe 3 or 4 NHL teams. Which is the ultimate reason why the $7 million is not an anchor. You people can live on die on the "he's not a #1 defenceman" comment as if it means anything but last time I watched hockey the coaches were putting 2 defencemen on the ice at once.

AddMan3001

Don't poke the bear!
Sep 16, 2007
Cambridge, ON
@FredPoulin98: According to @TSN1050Radio, the #Leafs would trade Dion Phaneuf to the #Oilers for Sam Gagner and the 3rd overall draft pick. #Rumors

@TSN1050Radio: @FredPoulin98 no one said that

Lock er up

OK, so is OP a huge phony or is tsn radio backtracking now?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Bob McKenzie tweeted today that double digit AAV numbers could become the new norm for star players citing that Kane/Toews initial ask has been 12M AAV. Based on that scale, I think that 7M for Dion is perfectly reasonable.

Exactly.

If the veteran minimum or ELC's moved along with the cap floor then the star vets would not be able to command that cash but if every team burns 3 or 4 of 22 or 23 roster spots on youth/minimum wage vets and spend say $1 mil on a backup goalie thats 5 players of say 22 making like $4.5-5 mil and you need to spend another $50 on 17-18 players....and that's if you're a floor team.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

It is 7M for 7 years....that takes him well into his 30's. If he was a smooth skating D man he could still be effective as he ages, however he is not. His best before date will happen very soon as seen by his performance down the stretch this year.

He is being paid as an elite D man and that puts in him in elite company, yet his play is no where near elite. That added to the above makes his contract an anchor.

Now if you have anything to add to this discussion I would be happy to discuss it, otherwise you carry on believing that others no nothing about the Salary cap.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Already locked on the main board...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1696451&page=4

:yo:

Bullet dodged!

DodgingBullet.gif

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Phaneuf + 3rd round pick

for

3rd overall + Gagner

then

8th overall + JVR + 4th round pick

for

1st overall + Howden + Kulikov

Why are we trading jvr? Just turned 25, 6-3 215+ pf, who may have been our best forward against Boston in the playoffs. Former 2 overall pick who just had a breakthrough 30 goal 60 point season?

I like gagner, supremely skilled, may just new a change of scenery. 38 points in 48 games last season is pretty good and he's still just 24.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
OK, so is OP a huge phony or is tsn radio backtracking now?

It's not TSN radio, it's Steve Simmons who now works for TSN radio. Bobby Mac, Dreger, Kypreos not one of them...actually not one other insider has mentioned anything like this why would anyone believe what comes out of Simmons mouth lol. Man you guys are too much lol

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
It is 7M for 7 years....that takes him well into his 30's. If he was a smooth skating D man he could still be effective as he ages, however he is not. His best before date will happen very soon as seen by his performance down the stretch this year.

He is being paid as an elite D man and that puts in him in elite company, yet his play is no where near elite. That added to the above makes his contract an anchor.

Now if you have anything to add to this discussion I would be happy to discuss it, otherwise you carry on believing that others no nothing about the Salary cap.

If his contract was an anchor there would be no rumors of teams interested in him. Those teams understand that his value based on his contract and the salary cap is actually pretty much spot on where it should be right now. That may change in the future based on his play but as the cap rises his contract becomes the norm(actually low end) for a top pairing defenceman which he is right now.

AddMan3001

Don't poke the bear!
Sep 16, 2007
Cambridge, ON
It's not TSN radio, it's Steve Simmons who now works for TSN radio. Bobby Mac, Dreger, Kypreos not one of them...actually not one other insider has mentioned anything like this why would anyone believe what comes out of Simmons mouth lol. Man you guys are too much lol

...excuse me? We were discussing speculation that was claimed to have been made on TSN radio by Simmons. Now TSN radio is saying it was never said. You can laugh and insult all you want, but my question was valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad