Rumor: Rumour and Proposal Thread: Who retires?

Who retires?

• Mike Smith

Votes: 140 51.1%
  • Duncan Keith

Votes: 37 13.5%
  • No one

Votes: 109 39.8%
  • Cloned

Votes: 35 12.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I literally called Nurse a similar tier of player as Devon Toews when healthy. I'm very well aware of how good he is. The problem is he's all we have and the drop off after him is titanic. No offense to Ceci but he's just not that guy who can be a top pairing two way matchup monster. Teams that win championships usually have at least one of elite defense to make up for meh goaltending or elite goaltending to make up for meh defense. We have meh defense and meh to outright bad goaltending, at least one of those needs to change.

We do not need Makar but we DO need another Toews or Byram.
You overrate Devon Toews.

All of this is entirely speculative. Teams that make the Finals make the Finals because they're playing well at the right time. They don't possess a specific winning formula or possess specific players. This discussion happens every offseason.

Build a team with good players. If you shore up enough of the weak spots on your roster, the better chance you give your team to beat anyone in a best of 7 series.

I can't remember when they threw the stat out in the playoffs, but there was a point where our fourth line was getting outscored at 1-8 rate. That's a sign that there aren't enough healthy competitive players on the roster. That's not a lack of elite D or a lack of an all-world goalie. That's just shit depth and other teams completely exposing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaptah

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Smith has to pass a physical in camp I believe, there’s a lot of doubts on whether that will happen. Hence why it is more likely that he starts the year on LTIR.

you’re trying to claim that something that really never happens is “the most likely scenario“? Riiiight.
Perhaps i am trying to fit square pegs in to fit an agenda or list of things i think should happen in a certain sequence.

Reactions: nabob

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
You overrate Devon Toews.

All of this is entirely speculative. Teams that make the Finals make the Finals because they're playing well at the right time. They don't possess a specific winning formula or possess specific players. This discussion happens every offseason.

Build a team with good players. If you shore up enough of the weak spots on your roster, the better chance you give your team to beat anyone in a best of 7 series.

I can't remember when they the the stat out in the playoffs, but there was a point where our fourth line was getting outscored at 1-8 rate. That's a sign that there aren't enough healthy competitive players on the roster. That's not a lack of elite D or a lack of an all-world goalie. That's just shit depth and other teams completely exposing it.
Devon Toews is a very good player lmfao, certainly better than Ceci, Kulak, etc. Pretty sure I've been one of the biggest proponents of waiving Archibald as well so not sure what your point is, everyone agrees Archie and Kassian need to go. You build a team with good players and good players include defensemen and goalies. If you have Pulock and Sanheim back there instead of Barrie and Keith, or you have Hellebuyck there instead of Mike Smith, then I guarantee you the 4th line is not getting outscored at a 1-8 ratio.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Devon Toews is a very good player lmfao, certainly better than Ceci, Kulak, etc. Pretty sure I've been one of the biggest proponents of waiving Archibald as well so not sure what your point is, everyone agrees Archie and Kassian need to go. You build a team with good players and good players include defensemen and goalies. If you have Pulock and Sanheim back there instead of Barrie and Keith, or you have Hellebuyck there instead of Mike Smith, then I guarantee you the 4th line is not getting outscored at a 1-8 ratio.
I'm not saying that he isn't. But you're suggesting that he's a high-end defenseman that most teams don't possess. I believe that he's a good defenseman who's capitalizing on an opportunity to play on a powerhouse offensive roster. I don't think he'd be half the player he is on an average roster. And I don't see it being impossible for Bouchard to elevate his game to that level in the not too distant future.

If you're spending all of your available cap on one player, you're making that roster shallower. It would possess even less supporting depth, putting even more stress on the already overworked top end. Removing players from your roster doesn't replace them.

My argument is that you can't just address one part of the roster and expect the rest of it to fix itself. I do believe that deeper forward depth would result in better possession and fewer high danger opportunities against. I don't believe that the goaltending would flip the script in the other direction.

Though I'm not particularly opposed to adding another higher-end D, I just don't see the fit unless we're looking at a Keith retirement. It's still too early to guess.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
You act like Nurse wasn't injured. While Nurse is not on the same level as Makar, he was getting walked for 3 series due to injury. No way, no how is Nurse that weak defensively as we saw.
No, and I mean NO team had 2 forwards ripping teams apart like McDrai. Why is that suddenly a forgotten argument? They took apart 3 world class goalies.

PPL always tend to point the finger at the greener grass, like it's gospel

Truth is EDM took the AVS to task in 3 games. The difference was a slight upgrade in G and Nurse being unhealthy

Your argument is basically like claiming Kramer is a Karate champ cuz he fought minors

The gap some claim without context is beyond ridiculous in some posts

The Oilers do NOT need Makar, cuz the AVS do NOT have McDrai, not even close
Also add in that Drai wasn't even close to 100% as well. Even with Mike Smith in net if Nurse and Drai are healthy that series ends way different. Oilers might not have won(but they very much could have of they were healthy) but it most like goes to 6 or 7 games

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
If we can get Kane and Hellebuyk would be a perfect off season.
trade Smith in the deal for cap space whether he plays or goes on LTIR.
could we make things work with
out
pulj & Kassian for Kane
1st, Smith, Samarukov plus for Hellebuyk
Barrie traded for assets
Foegle traded for assets
sign
Yam
McLoud
Kulak
12.2 mil out
13.2 mil in
klefbom on IR should be enough to sign players stated and fill out team

Reactions: McWeber

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
After all hopeless atwmpts for rsugning Kane, cant Oilers actually tempting Jagr to come baxk for one year? It needs to happen. Everybody wins at that. Jagr plays middle 6 and PP time. Plating with Draisaitl just being a offensive prescence? At a 1m$ tag ( for his pride)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad