Rumor: Rumors: The Frenzy pt. 2: "Shut up and take my money"

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If he goes belly up, the season is gone (again). I do agree that having Fayne on the bottom pairing would do wonders for making him look like an actual NHL defender again.

How is the season gone again? Wiz would be a 5/6 defenseman. Our PP runs by committee anyways. McDavid runs PP1, RNH/Eberle run PP2.

I think you misread what I said there. I think Fayne will be able to play 17-18 minutes with Sekera next year if someone's taking the tougher match-ups away from him.

The need for drastic change is so, so overblown IMO.

Walking into next season we're looking forward to a full year out of McDavid, a full year out of Klefbom. Add 24 minutes a night of Larsson. We're coming out ahead as it stands.

Adding a Gryba replacement (Schenn) and a cheap PP guy (Wisniewki) is my idea of shoring up the defense heading into next season. It doesn't require you to rip another limb off the offense to do so.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Barrie is 25 entering the year and has put up 53 and 49 point seasons the last 2 years. Right Shot, and if we are worried about his D play you can play him third pairing with a lot of O zone starts and PP time.something like

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Fayne
Davidson Barrie

Barrie most likely gets between 4.5 to 6 million in arbitration

you're not paying that much for a guy playing on your bottom pair

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton

He played 23 mins a game last year, no PK time I believe. He's easily in your second pair. And you pay for points in this league - look at Keith Yandle - he'll get a lot of money.

I'd say that's the basis for his deal while factoring in the RFA years. So like..6x8 at least.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Stauffer was mentioning Dennis Wideman as a possibility a couple of weeks ago.

He was making it sound like Calgary just wants to dump his salary at this point.

He's only one year removed from a 56 point season.

I would prefer Wideman for a year to Barrie, and then we make a big offer to Brent Burns after the expansion draft. Burns is the elite guy that we need. He's so much better than Tyson frickin' Barrie.

Brent Burns wont make it to free agency. It's really easy to look a summer ahead and see how many great free agents there are. Almost all of them are signed before July 1st.

Last summer a year out there was as "top pairing guys":
Byfgulien
Seabrook
Giordano
Erik Johnson
Yandle

Only Yandle wasn't re-signed by his team and he didn't even make it to July 1st, ended up being traded for a pick before the draft and signing with Florida.

If the deal for a guy like Barrie is there. You take it. If you don't, this season is a write off, and next season we're in the exact same position saying "let's wait a year and address it than."

I had this exact same argument this time last year when people were suggesting we wait for all the big name free agent d-men this season.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
How is the season gone again? Wiz would be a 5/6 defenseman. Our PP runs by committee anyways. McDavid runs PP1, RNH/Eberle run PP2.

Eberle should really be on unit 1, he's routinely been one of our best point producers on the powerplay and he knows how to finish plays, theres a large advantage being on the 1st PP since you always get the offensive zone faceoff to start and you generally get more time than the 2nd unit, who generally gets on after the puck is dumped in our end so they start at a disadvantage most often. Most teams load up on the first powerplay and I think we should be no different, the only one of our goto PP guys who should be held off the first unit is RNH cause he is best utilized in the same position McDavid plays on the PP and it's important to have a quality half wall playmaker on both units.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Give Larsson PP minutes. I'd rather him explore his offensive game than signing Wisniewski. Is 3-7 at BEST extra PP goals worth having to severely shelter Wisniewski for the season? Just give that time to Larsson and let him explore his offensive game. Wisniewski will not make or break this teams PP.

Opening Larsson up to seeing more offensive opportunities isn't a horrible idea by any means, we might be able to cultivate a full package d-man, but I wouldn't undersell Wiz getting an extra few PP goals (7 is probably generous only 6 d-men scored more than 7 goals on the powerplay last year). The thing about having a good point shot is it keeps the penalty killers honest in that they can't cheat away from the point option putting more pressure on our forwards down low and making it harder to throw pucks cross seam since the box will generally be tighter if their is no point shot threat. Second big shots create more rebounds which is a big contributing factor to PP scoring with Lucic and Maroon we have more net front presence then I can ever remember us having these kind of players feast on rebounds. Thirdly big shots tend to draw players into shot blocking, which leaves less players actively defending other players on the ice if you can get your shot through (or you can feint the shot and pass it off) it can lead to an further odd man advantage until the shot blockers gets back up and into the play and actively covering someone.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Brent Burns wont make it to free agency. It's really easy to look a summer ahead and see how many great free agents there are. Almost all of them are signed before July 1st.

Byfgulien
Seabrook
Giordano
Erik Johnson
Yandle

Only Yandle wasn't re-signed by his team and he didn't even make it to July 1st, ended up being traded for a pick before the draft and signing with Florida.

If the deal for a guy like Barrie is there. You take it. If you don't, this season is a write off, and next season we're in the exact same position saying "let's wait a year and address it than."

I had this exact same argument this time last year when people were suggesting we wait for all the big name free agent d-men this season.

True, but I think the expansion draft is something to consider when comparing to seasons past. As well maybe it is worth it to see if we can snag Burns (very doubtful). I don't mind waiting one season, as if we deal out an RNH there is no replacement available. Next offseason we may be able to satisfy that spot and know for sure what we have in Drai/McD (Latter is obvious but I don't want to rely on a 19 and 20 year old all year really)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Byfgulien
Seabrook
Giordano
Erik Johnson
Yandle

No way is this season a write off if we don't get Barrie.

Oilers need to stop making excuses and play up to their potential, they still have a ridiculous amount of talent on their roster, now they have a ridiculous amount of size to go with it, and two absolute horses on the blue line in Klefbom and Larsson who are just entering the prime years of their career. They have Sekera who's a solid 3, and Davidson who played like a very good 3/4 d-man as the season went on last year. They have Nurse who is going to be a 6 foot 5 beast.

They have Connor freaking McDavid. They have three centers more skilled than any center the Oilers had other than Doug Weight for about 20 years there. And they even have wingers to go with all those centers.

Enough with the excuses.

Larsson with New Jersey got the Devils to 84 points and they may have even made the playoffs if Cammalleri didn't miss 1/2 the season. They have no where near the talent, size, depth that we have, they have no PP QB stud either.

Plenty of teams make due with several holes on their roster. If we can get a PP QB great, but if we can't it's time to stop whining and suck it up. Beyond that Klefbom and Davidson both have strong shots, Larsson has some ability from the point too. Develop it (like every other team does).

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I'm pretty reluctant to sell off any more assets up front for Barrie (or other PP QBs).

I feel like the roster has been shaken up sufficiently and at this point I'd prefer to stand pat and see where we're at. That Hall trade (though necessary) was a travesty that I'd prefer not to have to go through again by selling off one of our centers at a loss.

Like Soundwave posted there's plenty of talent here that should be able to develop and fill the holes on the roster. Other teams are able to develop the pieces they need. Time for the Oilers to do so.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Oilers need to stop making excuses and play up to their potential, they still have a ridiculous amount of talent on their roster, now they have a ridiculous amount of size to go with it, and two absolute horses on the blue line in Klefbom and Larsson who are just entering the prime years of their career. They have Sekera who's a solid 3, and Davidson who played like a very good 3/4 d-man as the season went on last year. They have Nurse who is going to be a 6 foot 5 beast.

They have Connor freaking McDavid. They have three centers more skilled than any center the Oilers had other than Doug Weight for about 20 years there. And they even have wingers to go with all those centers.

Enough with the excuses.

Larsson with New Jersey got the Devils to 84 points and they may have even made the playoffs if Cammalleri didn't miss 1/2 the season. They have no where near the talent, size, depth that we have, they have no PP QB stud either.

Plenty of teams make due with several holes on their roster. If we can get a PP QB great, but if we can't it's time to stop whining and suck it up. Beyond that Klefbom and Davidson both have strong shots, Larsson has some ability from the point too. Develop it (like every other team does).

It's not making excuses. It's recognizing that the defense is not good enough. They have the worst offensive production from the blue line in the league last year and the answer has been to add a 20 d-man? That's not going come remotely close to cutting it.

And maybe the Oilers could develop it if they were any good at drafting outside of the first round. Hell even in the first round. Imagine if they'd taken Ristolainen ahead of Nurse? Probably wouldn't have had to piss away Taylor Hall for a zero offense 2/3 defender.

I'm pretty reluctant to sell off any more assets up front for Barrie (or other PP QBs).

I feel like the roster has been shaken up sufficiently and at this point I'd prefer to stand pat and see where we're at. That Hall trade (though necessary) was a travesty that I'd prefer not to have to go through again by selling off one of our centers at a loss.

Like Soundwave posted there's plenty of talent here that should be able to develop and fill the holes on the roster. Other teams are able to develop the pieces they need. Time for the Oilers to.

There are two new skaters and a backup goalie and one of the skaters is a downgrade on what we had before. That's not much turnover for any team, let alone the 2nd worst in the league.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'd still want to add 1 more offensive Dman to this group. I'd be willing to move Eberle and other pieces, but not willing to get rid of our Center depth.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Canucks signed Philip Larsen yesterday, what's the synopsis on him from the time he played for you guys?

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton

Enough with the excuses.

Seriously, time to commit to the team, the details, work ethic, and maximize all the talent we have on the roster. Virtually our entire roster under performs year after year. Time to reverse that and have some career seasons.

Team doesn't stink without him, but damn our roster would look sexy with Barrie.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Canucks signed Philip Larsen yesterday, what's the synopsis on him from the time he played for you guys?

Good offensive instincts, good skater. Not good enough in the defensive zone to be an every day player. That was 3 seasons ago though so it's possible that side of his game has developed beyond that.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Great skater, decent offensive instincts, pretty bad defensively, outmuscled consistently.

He played his best hockey on the Oilers as a RWer. It was only a handful of games, but he looked surprisingly good on the 4th line.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

Barrie's points per minute played over the past 2 years puts him above all of Giordano ($6.75M), Subban ($9M), M. Green ($6M), Yandle ($6.35M), Byfuglien ($7.6M), Hamilton ($5.75M), & Krug ($5.25M). In arbitration I'd see him getting $6M for sure, if not more, I think that's why Colorado is so scared of keeping him, cause they don't value him that highly and they know if they aren't willing to pay him he can get what he deserves through arbitration.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I wish we signed Demers for 4.5 x 5. That's honestly a very reasonable deal for him. I don't care if he isn't a PP QB, having Demers at that price would bring us that much closer to playoffs. Although I would absolutely love to get Barrie, I still feel that we can internally replace that PP QB void by having Klef and Lars play on the PP. Klef should have got a long look on the PP IMO but he was also injured for like 50 games so that doesn't help.

Anyways, if PP1 is Lucic-Eberle-Drai-Mcdavid-Klef and PP2 is Maroon-Puju-Yak-Nuge-Larsson or something along those lines, I don't think we should have any excuses. Those are two very capable units with size, skill and ability to shoot. If we're going to have Klef and Lars be our go to guys, might as well roll with them and see what they can do on the PP.

Of course this changes if we get Barrie and obviously makes us a lot better but like soundwave said, this team shouldn't have any excuses anymore. They need to start playing up to their potential. Everyone needs to step it up collectively, especially Klef, Lars and RNH IMO (all 2011 first round draft picks :laugh:) need to have big years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad