Rumor: Rumors: The Frenzy pt. 2: "Shut up and take my money"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
If Wisniewski could still skate, he'd be perfect as the #4/5 guy with the shot on the PP. A one or two year deal works both in minimizing the risk due to his injury and acting as a stop gap for Nurse/Reinhart.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Could be, I guess. I took the situation to mean another move on our side but nothing happened. You could easily be right.
Maybe Chiarelli got wind that Larsson was about to be traded and had to make it worth while for the Devils to leave a huge hole in their defense.
The tin foil hat is fitting snugly tonight haha

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
If Wisniewski could still skate, he'd be perfect as the #4/5 guy with the shot on the PP. A one or two year deal works both in minimizing the risk due to his injury and acting as a stop gap for Nurse/Reinhart.
Might as well just throw Ethan Bear out there. He cant be any worse than a one legged Wiz that hasnt played in a year

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Wisniewski's twitter has a video of him skating and he seems good

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
It's "legal" their math was just off, that would be calculated at $9.38 AAV, and I believe cost the oilers 4 1st rounders.
Over $9,388,080 is the 4 1st rounder compensation. The Oilers would be $8,080 below that tier of compensation

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Might as well just throw Ethan Bear out there. He cant be any worse than a one legged Wiz that hasnt played in a year

It's amazing the kind of info that random posters possess on these boards.

Of course there is the fact that a player cannot be bought out if they're still injured.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Over $9,388,080 is the 4 1st rounder compensation. The Oilers would be $8,080 below that tier of compensation

Yup. I picked that number specifically to be under the 4 1sts. 46.9/7yrs gives him an AAV of 6.7M cap hit. The RFA compensation number is 46.9/5yr which comes just under the 4 1sts level.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Yeah I'd like to see him get a shot on the second unit this year. He was pretty smart with his shots, and has a pretty heavy slapper.

I would like to see

------Lucic------
JP-------------Mcdavid
Larsson------Klef

------Maroon-----
Eberle--------Nuge
Davidson-----Sekera (Or whoever else we get)

Still really lacking a bomb from the point on that first PP

To many Dman on the power play

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Give Larsson PP minutes. I'd rather him explore his offensive game than signing Wisniewski. Is 3-7 at BEST extra PP goals worth having to severely shelter Wisniewski for the season? Just give that time to Larsson and let him explore his offensive game. Wisniewski will not make or break this teams PP.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
If we strike out on better options we may as well sign some bottom pairing D that's good on the PP like Wiz.

Really hope that's not the case though - that is a very significant gap in roster that will severely impact the team's ability to take a huge step forward IMO.

I don't think Barrie is going to take Nuge or Ebs coming back if they are indeed going to trade him, but even if it does, I think I'd do it. He would just be too damn sick on this team.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Stauffer was mentioning Dennis Wideman as a possibility a couple of weeks ago.

He was making it sound like Calgary just wants to dump his salary at this point.

He's only one year removed from a 56 point season.

I would prefer Wideman for a year to Barrie, and then we make a big offer to Brent Burns after the expansion draft. Burns is the elite guy that we need. He's so much better than Tyson frickin' Barrie.

lauder73

May 9, 2011
Trade
Sekera
2017 1st

For

Barrie
2017 2nd

Reinhart
Pouliot

For

Fowler

Sign Pirri or Hudler as depth Forward.
All problems fixed :)

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

He was making it sound like Calgary just wants to dump his salary at this point.

I would prefer Wideman for a year to Barrie, and then we make a big offer to Brent Burns after the expansion draft. Burns is the elite guy that we need. He's so much better than Tyson frickin' Barrie.

I like that plan. Wideman is a good PP/Bottom pairing defenceman. Plus his contract expires at the end of the year.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016

Burns won't leave San Jose.

lauder73

May 9, 2011
Barrie is 25 entering the year and has put up 53 and 49 point seasons the last 2 years. Right Shot, and if we are worried about his D play you can play him third pairing with a lot of O zone starts and PP time.something like

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Fayne
Davidson Barrie

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Barrie is 25 entering the year and has put up 53 and 49 point seasons the last 2 years. Right Shot, and if we are worried about his D play you can play him third pairing with a lot of O zone starts and PP time.something like

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Fayne
Davidson Barrie

The idea of getting Barrie is to not play Fayne in top 6 let alone top 4.

lauder73

May 9, 2011
The idea of getting Barrie is to not play Fayne in top 6 let alone top 4.

Not saying Fayne is a great top 4 option. But that 6 could be swapped around based on performance. I like the idea of left and right pairings and Putting Nurse in Bakersfield to start the year

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
His opinion means squat, but yours does? :huh:

Context man...read the whole post. Continuously saying that Chia has a glass jaw in several threads is ignorant of the work put in to get that deal done. Chia directly alluded to the work they did in his presser, for how long they looked, and how much research they actually did into Larsson himself. I have a feeling that they've been looking at this deal for a long time.

Also,as stated above, the timing was an issue too. I'm not sure in what way, but Chia directly referenced it in saying it had to be done at that time.

All told, how is that him showing he has a glass jaw? Hence my comment in the first place.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Give Larsson PP minutes. I'd rather him explore his offensive game than signing Wisniewski. Is 3-7 at BEST extra PP goals worth having to severely shelter Wisniewski for the season? Just give that time to Larsson and let him explore his offensive game. Wisniewski will not make or break this teams PP.

Sheltering Wisniewski is a better option than sheltering Barrie if the cost for him is another top six forward. Wisniewski's a buy-low option. If he goes belly up you bury him. Case closed.

I think people are too quick to throw Fayne to the wolves as well. I think with the addition of Larsson to take on the tough match-ups we'll see Fayne come around this season. We don't need to double down on the game-breaking PPQB this summer. Having a 5-6 guy who we can spoon feed PP time is the best course of action.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Sheltering Wisniewski is a better option than sheltering Barrie if the cost for him is another top six forward. Wisniewski's a buy-low option. If he goes belly up you bury him. Case closed.

I think people are too quick to throw Fayne to the wolves as well. I think with the addition of Larsson to take on the tough match-ups we'll see Fayne come around this season. We don't need to double down on the game-breaking PPQB this summer. Having a 5-6 guy who we can spoon feed PP time is the best course of action.

If he goes belly up, the season is gone (again). I do agree that having Fayne on the bottom pairing would do wonders for making him look like an actual NHL defender again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad