Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
James Tanner is at it again. I had actually been thinking about this fool this week, wondering if he had even considered writing something to counter the garbage he wrote earlier this year about the Isles. Ironically, today he instead decided to double down on his insults of the Islanders. Almost 75% of the way through the season, instead of humbling himself and giving credit to a team in first place in its division, second in conference and 4th in the entire NHL, he would rather again talk about how lucky they are, how they are one of the least talented teams in the league and insist that it is still not sustainable, if not just a flat out one year wonder. This guy is such an idiot it is unreal.

HockeyBuzz.com - James Tanner - PLUS/MINUS: Trade Deadline, the Islanders & the Worst Thing In the World

Its worse than that, he claims we are bing propped up by a great goalie, Lehner. Get the impression he hasn't even watched the games just looked at his stat sheets. Don't we have two great goalies (and what I mean by that is great team defense since they are 1,2 in the league ). He talks about possession time being under 50% and PDO but doesn't talk about the quality of the possession. We will let you hold the puck we just won't give you a good opportunity when we are on D, on offense we create good opportunities and don't put every puck on net which is why our shooting pct is relatively high. Yes sustainable on both ends IMHO.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If you think Duchene is only a marginal increase over Nelson then you are either overrating Nelson, or underrating Duchene. Duchene is at 55% on faceoff wins, and has 27 goals in 49 games. Our leading goal scorer has 19 goals in 58 games. This would also improve the wing situation by moving Nelson to LW where he belongs.

Who would you pursue on wing? You’ve been screaming about how we’re not getting Panarin in every thread, so he’s out. Even if we did trade for a wing, who is coming out of the lineup?

Interesting you saw my "we're not getting Panarin" posts, but not the ones where I'm advocating making Mark Stone a top priority. I would also be ok if no deal materializes just standing pat. Again I don't want to force something, still not wind up with a Cup, and then have even more holes to fill this summer.

If you've followed my posts over the past year, you would know I'm the last person who's a Brock Nelson fan, but he's been playing his best hockey this year by a mile. Do I want to keep him? Not if we can find a replacement and yes Duchene could be that.

Also curious...What happens if the Isles land Duchene giving up 3 good assets, but then this summer none of Lehner, Nelson, Eberle, Lee, or Duchene resign?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
James Tanner is at it again. I had actually been thinking about this fool this week, wondering if he had even considered writing something to counter the garbage he wrote earlier this year about the Isles. Ironically, today he instead decided to double down on his insults of the Islanders. Almost 75% of the way through the season, instead of humbling himself and giving credit to a team in first place in its division, second in conference and 4th in the entire NHL, he would rather again talk about how lucky they are, how they are one of the least talented teams in the league and insist that it is still not sustainable, if not just a flat out one year wonder. This guy is such an idiot it is unreal.

HockeyBuzz.com - James Tanner - PLUS/MINUS: Trade Deadline, the Islanders & the Worst Thing In the World

Him and Lambert are the WORST. I can't stand that smug f*** Lambert!

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Because Ott doesn't want Panarin. He wouldn't re-sign there
I never said OTT would acquire Panarin with the idea of signing him. If OTT were to trade for Panarin it would be strictly a flip. Panarin wouldn't even play a game for them - they wouldn't want to take the injury risk.

My main point wasn't even primarily the scenario that Panarin gets flipped by OTT. It was more that there could be lots of reasons that Lou would be talking to OTT about Duchene, and not all of them would involve the Isles getting Duchene. Lou might want to keep tabs on the market in general, or specifically as it relates to the value of Panarin since he's a relatively comparable pending UFA. Or Lou might want to outbid CBJ for Duchene with the idea the Lou then flips Duchene for Panarin. Or yeah, Lou might want Duchene. Lou ain't conventional.

Reactions: beach

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Its worse than that, he claims we are bing propped up by a great goalie, Lehner. Get the impression he hasn't even watched the games just looked at his stat sheets. Don't we have two great goalies (and what I mean by that is great team defense since they are 1,2 in the league ). He talks about possession time being under 50% and PDO but doesn't talk about the quality of the possession. We will let you hold the puck we just won't give you a good opportunity when we are on D, on offense we create good opportunities and don't put every puck on net which is why our shooting pct is relatively high. Yes sustainable on both ends IMHO.

Ignore it -it's clickbait. The best thing you can do is ignore and it. and absolutely do not share the link for others to click on it.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
My point was...If Ottawa could land Panarin only to flip him for MORE assets then Columbus would do that in the first place.

There's "unlikely" and then there's "flat out not going to happen." File "Panarin to Ottawa" under the latter.

If we're going to operate under the "not saying it's likely, but I don't know how you can say it's impossible" philosophy, then I guess Edmonton could always trade McDavid right?
2nd bold first: no, that would be impossible.

1st bold: But again, what if CBJ wants Duchene. And what if the best offer OTT gets is Panarin for, say, Duchene+. If OTT makes that deal, Duchene is off the market. OTT then has the 2 elite commodities (assuming they trade Stone too). They can then call the contenders and start fielding offers and play them against each other. Unlikely, slightly crazy, but not impossible IMO since it's pretty well accepted that Panarin and Duchene are both being traded, CBJ wants immediate help back - especially at C, and CBJ has been linked to Duchene.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I see the harm in resigning Nelson, but not if the team is able to sign Stone/Duchene/Panarin. Nelson has been good this year and has been used by Trotz in all situations. I would like to keep Nelson and Duchene if we got him.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I see the harm in resigning Nelson, but not if the team is able to sign Stone/Duchene/Panarin. Nelson has been good this year and has been used by Trotz in all situations. I would like to keep Nelson and Duchene if we got him.

I still want to see Nelson playing top 6 LW with a skilled center. He has been misused his entire career with us

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I'd much rather see the Isles wait and make a run at Stone (if he doesn't resign). The need for a winger, both 5v5 and on the PP, seems to be a MUCH bigger need than another center.

That said if the Isles get Duchene you have to wonder if Nelson is then traded (for something like a 1st), and then that asset traded for a winger.

MD can play wing.

Reactions: SI

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Lol. Compton goaded him into that response so he could write a article that would piss people off. He asked him how comfortable you are with the team if he stood pat. What would you like Lou to say there. There was nothing to see there or signfigant article at all.
Oh geez, what a sap I am. How could I be so gullible? I feel so foolish.

That's kind of what you were fishing for, right?

Sorry to burst your f**king bubble, but I wasn't referring to any specific comment from LL or the article since I don't remember the question and I didn't read the article. I was referring to his use of the word "chemistry" about 10x in response to any number of questions from any number of reporters over weeks.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Believe it or not this tells me more than not a move will be made. Lou is very good at keeping his cards close to his chest.

Speaking to the media, Lou Lamoriello indicated that if a move didn’t take place, he’d be fine with the roster he currently has.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I have a feeling Stone and Ottawa will work something out.
Ottawa could not simply afford to give Duchene and Stone that bonus $ - they keep Stone and try to recoup assets with Duchene.

Let's look closer at the Karlsson deal this fall and the Duchene last fall to see $ -

Tierney, C
DeMelo, D
Prospect Josh Norris (2017 #1 17 OA)
Prospect Rudolph Balcers
2020 1st round pick
2019 2nd round pick
* conditional 2nd in 2021 if Karlsson resigns (it bumps up to a 1st if Sharks resign and win cup this season)

for Karlsson and Perron (throw-in) (for 1 season of Duchene)

Kyle Turris (immediately flipped for 3 pieces and resigned by the Preds)
Shane Bowers (2017 #1 28 OA)
2018 1st lottery protected (NOW 2019 NOT lottery protected)
2019 3rd round pick
Andrew Hammond (salary dump)
for
Matt Duchene (for almost 2 full seasons of Duchene)

deals for Duchene -

2019 #1, Kiefer Bellows, Mitchell Vande Sompel
** conditional 2nd in 2020 if Duchene resigns (it bumps up to a 1st if Isles resign and win cup this season)

or

Brock Nelson (immediately flipped), 2019 #1, Bellows
** conditional 2nd in 2020 if Duchene resigns (it bumps up to a 1st if Isles resign and win cup this season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad