Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I’m nervous and excited. On one hand the team is playing great on the other hand I just think we’re too early in this process to make a big trade for a rental.

We could trade our 1st + for a rental, lose in the first round, lose the rental,lose Lee, lose Nelson, and lose Eberle.

We might need picks and futures to replenish the club or use in trades in the summer for guys with term.

I do trust Lou but I feel if we’re this good now under Trotz that we’ll be that much better as players get a full year in his systems and build off of this season.

I wonder if we’d be granted permission to speak with Panarin on an extension? It could actually benefit both teams. Panarin is not re-signing
And CBJ could get a better return if Panarin agrees to an extension with another team.

Malakhov and Nemchinov are big names? ICB stretching things a little bit....

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
Pagnotta from TFP says Lou really wants Panarin. Posted a article before. Go get some bread Lou!

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
I listed to this show every day, rarely miss listening, and these guys hardly ever give props to the Isles. In the past, no reason to, and last season or two during the whole JT hasn't signed yet and Belmont up in the air, Nick Kypreos and the gang buried the Isles every chance they got and unfortunately probably for good reason. But at least this year, they have given them some small positives with Lou and Barry running the team. Doug Maclean on the show usually the only one that will bring up the Isles and give them some congrats and good commentary (altho the host David Amber today did bring them up briefly), but for the most part, these guys don't give the Isles a sniff of time and high regard. After the Isles smoked Toronto, after they smoked the Lighting, the Caps, etc. the guys on this show usually will then discuss another topic and just completely blow over the fact that the Isles played well or made some statements. But if Toronto or the Pens or Vegas or the Sharks do anything, they are all over it.

My point being, yes this is Toronto media, yes I listen to this show every day just because its good hockey talk to listen to during lunch or when I'm staring at my TPS reports at work, but these guys will never pump our tires like they do the other teams, maybe when we win the Cup, they'll give us a full two minutes of time.

I listen daily on Sirius in my office. You are absolutely correct. I believe they had a segment on Monday that Barzal looked great in the all star game, but he was playing with Crosby. They also stated Barzal is a one way center, whom is very small, pushed off the puck and makes more bad decisions than good.

So yes, grain of salt

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Eklund said forward and defense help . . .

Coleman and Vatanen for our 1st, Ho-Sang, Soderstrom and Pelech . . . 3rd line scoring and three dynamic defense pairs

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
No thanks

Reasons?

Coleman is what we HOPE Ho-Sang becomes. Will be 20+ goal scorer on a bad team and has two years left at $1,800,000 per. Vatanen can run a PP. Soderstrom might never make it anyhow. Not sure how that's such a simple No from you.

Reactions: periferal

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I listen daily on Sirius in my office. You are absolutely correct. I believe they had a segment on Monday that Barzal looked great in the all star game, but he was playing with Crosby. They also stated Barzal is a one way center, whom is very small, pushed off the puck and makes more bad decisions than good.

So yes, grain of salt

Wow that is amazing- so out of touch- TO media I guess
I think Crosby's post game comments on Barzal should shatter that POV on Maty.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Reasons?

Coleman is what we HOPE Ho-Sang becomes. Will be 20+ goal scorer on a bad team and has two years left at $1,800,000 per. Vatanen can run a PP. Soderstrom might never make it anyhow. Not sure how that's such a simple No from you.

I'd aim higher and it doesn't address the PP.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I'm not being a troll, I'm genuinely asking this question, but....

Has Eklund EVER predicted an Isles deal correctly? I've been seeing his name mentioned for years on this and other hockey boards and not once have I ever seen him predict a deal before it happened, except when everyone in the sports world knew a player was about to be dealt and it had already been reported by TSN or other legit sources.

He had Filippula before anyone else, which I think is more due to the legit sources he has with the Flyers though....

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011

Coleman and Vatanen for our 1st, Ho-Sang, Soderstrom and Pelech . . . 3rd line scoring and three dynamic defense pairs

In what world is a 1st round, top 6 forward prospect, #1 goalie prospect, and a 25 year old 3rd pairing dman with a great contract worth a 3rd liner and 2nd pair dman, when a top pairing defenseman was just traded to the Leafs for much less?

Reactions: Jester9881

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Reasons?

Coleman and Ho-Sang are absolutely nothing alike. Coleman is a high volume shooter who throws his body around to create space and score goals. He gets himself into good psitions to shoot but he is no more than a complementary player and will not be on the top 6 for a playoff team, ever I'd say. Ho-Sang may never get there, but even if he only reaches 50% of his potential he could probably match Coleman in points and be a bigger PP weapon. Ho-Sang may be nothing everin the NHL but he has the talent to be a 70+ point player easily with the style of play the NHL is currently favoring.

I would not make that trade straight up let alone trade a 1st, Pelech, and Soderstrom for Vatanen.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Wow. You’re good. You could tell that from his demeanor in a news clip.

What number am I thinking of? 1-10.....
Absolutely. I watched the press conference. Look back at the relevant threads at the time. You'll see my posts. That day, I knew he was gone.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Wow. Zajac vs MCDavid. Lol. Just because you’re the best center on a bad team doesn’t mean you’re designated a #1 center. By the way, barzals 1st 2 Years will eclipse zajacs best 2. One of the worst arguments I’ve ever seen. Jesus Christ.

Yes, Barzal will need to be paid. And it will be after next season. And it will be a ton. And it will be large because we don’t want the superstar at 28 to basically say that they took a team friendly deal and they did nothing with the sacrificed money.
Dude, you're the one who made the argument, not me. I didn't realize I was dealing with a literalist who is incapable of recognizing sarcasm, so let me be clear, your original comment was utter nonsense.

Barzal is an incredible talent, but you've let his all-star turn go to your head. He still has a lot of work to do to become not a great center, but an elite, top 10 center in the NHL. Shooting, faceoffs, decision-making, corner work and two way play not where they need to be. So no, because I apparently need to spell it out for you, he's no TZ, but he's no CM, SC, EM or PB either. Not yet.

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Is that your suggestion? Or, was that reported rumor from somewhere?

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Is that your suggestion? Or, was that reported rumor from somewhere?
Eklund said forward and defense help . . .: Eklund

Coleman and Vatanen for our 1st, Ho-Sang, Soderstrom and Pelech . . . 3rd line scoring and three dynamic defense pairs: Leeroggy

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
So Stamkos leaves, TB ownership ****ed up, Stamkos stays, they didn't **** up...
Doesn't matter who the player is. An organization needs to protect itself and its assets. TB got lucky. The Isles didn't. If I was an owner, and a pending FA, who had months and months to ponder their future, was not ready to sign by the deadline, I'm trading their ass and recouping assets for the present and/or future.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Doesn't matter who the player is. An organization needs to protect itself and its assets. TB got lucky. The Isles didn't. If I was an owner, and a pending FA, who had months and months to ponder their future, was not ready to sign by the deadline, I'm trading their ass and recouping assets for the present and/or future.
You know Lou has let UFA's walk also...I guess he should listen to you.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
So we should throw away season by trading Nelson, Eberle and Lee if they don’t sign before deadline and get what some low level 1st rounder or maybe a 2nd round pick? I rather make playoffs to be honest. Tavares was different and they probably should have traded him but it was a clear direction ownership didn’t want to go in but I’d imagine Lou is running team last year at that point he trades him. My point your not getting enough back for our UFA to make a future difference. I’d imagine Lou might rent someone as the more likely scenario and then deal any of his Free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad