Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
He is on an ELC. What tree are you barking up?

Elite players are paid accordingly - look at McDavid, Eichel and now Matthews ... when Barzal is due for a contract- I expect him to be signed to an 8 year deal with an AAV of 10-11 Million, which is what he'll deserve if he continues to be a PPG #1C.

Not only is Barzal aware of that, I think everyone and their mother is.
Barzy is still going to have to demonstrate that he can become more a more dangerous goal scorer than he is now to get top, top dollar down the line. I expect that he will when he gets some help and rounds out his game, but there is still that little bit of a question mark as to whether he will become a 30+/60+ player.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I wish I thought that website up!

tenor.gif

You should open your own:

Double Chili's House o'hockey

Reactions: SI and doublechili

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I'm not being a troll, I'm genuinely asking this question, but....

Has Eklund EVER predicted an Isles deal correctly? I've been seeing his name mentioned for years on this and other hockey boards and not once have I ever seen him predict a deal before it happened, except when everyone in the sports world knew a player was about to be dealt and it had already been reported by TSN or other legit sources.

I believe he actually called the Tim Thomas trade to the Isles first. That may be it.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Barzy is still going to have to demonstrate that he can become more a more dangerous goal scorer than he is now to get top, top dollar down the line. I expect that he will when he gets some help and rounds out his game, but there is still that little bit of a question mark as to whether he will become a 30+/60+ player.

I didn't know scoring 30+ was a requirement to get paid like a #1 franchise center, I thought being a #1 franchise center was.

Whether he scores 30G 50A or 20G 60A, 80 pucks are winding up in the back of the net because of him. With all due respect, your criteria seems rather arbitrary.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
***BREAKING NEWS***

The New York Islanders have traded the YeSUV to the Philadelphia Flyers for Gritty.
Gritty is a generational mascot. Sparky was born from Wang’s cheapness, and the YeSUV was born from Yormark’s incompetence. Gritty to Toronto (e5).

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Simmonds and Ghost? My God!

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. I'd be happy with a deal for Simmonds , I just fear that some team will be willing to offer him 7 years on 7/1 and I hope thats not us. But I sure would love to have him for a playoff run and a couple seasons.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
***BREAKING NEWS***

The New York Islanders have traded the YeSUV to the Philadelphia Flyers for Gritty.

He makes more sense than Sparky does for the Isles.

I'd be okay with Gostisbehere, but he's making $4.5 million for the next four years. He's a PP quarterback who struggles in his own end. Who are we giving up to get that? We'd need to shed salary. Maybe Eberle + Hickey + prospect(s) for Gostisbehere and Simmonds?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. I'd be happy with a deal for Simmonds , I just fear that some team will be willing to offer him 7 years on 7/1 and I hope thats not us. But I sure would love to have him for a playoff run and a couple seasons.

I wouldn't want to sign him, but he could be a good UFA swap with Eberle in a broader deal I think.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I didn't know scoring 30+ was a requirement to get paid like a #1 franchise center, I thought being a #1 franchise center was.

Whether he scores 30G 50A or 20G 60A, 80 pucks are winding up in the back of the net because of him. With all due respect, your criteria seems rather arbitrary.
And so does yours.

So you think Connor McDavid and, say, Travis Zajac for instance should be paid roughly the same? They're both #1 centers for their respective franchises.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

I'd be okay with Gostisbehere, but he's making $4.5 million for the next four years. He's a PP quarterback who struggles in his own end. Who are we giving up to get that? We'd need to shed salary. Maybe Eberle + Hickey + prospect(s) for Gostisbehere and Simmonds?

Do you think Philly would really do such a big trade within the division? I know more and more in-division trades have happened in recent years, but I still have my doubts.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Do you think Philly would really do such a big trade within the division? I know more and more in-division trades have happened in recent years, but I still have my doubts.

Honestly, I'd be surprised. I guess it depends upon what Philadelphia is trying to do. They have a pretty talented group of forwards and are having a miserable season. They've missed the playoffs two out of the last three seasons, a huge chunk of their core is ~30 years old and signed long term, while their defense and goaltending are either bad or inexperienced, and now they have a new GM. Are they going to re-build/re-tool? They could try and trade the youth, or they can try to get younger by trading some of the veterans, but I don't see them just keeping the status quo going into next season.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Honestly, I'd be surprised. I guess it depends upon what Philadelphia is trying to do. They have a pretty talented group of forwards and are having a miserable season. They've missed the playoffs two out of the last three seasons, a huge chunk of their core is ~30 years old and signed long term, while their defense and goaltending are either bad or inexperienced, and now they have a new GM. Are they going to re-build/re-tool? They could try and trade the youth, or they can try to get younger by trading some of the veterans, but I don't see them just keeping the status quo going into next season.

I agree, I just don't think they'd make too many moves in-season and I would have to believe Ghost is part of their plans moving forward. I expect them to start blowing things up at the draft, aside from Simmonds who I'm sure is on his way out by the deadline, just not within the division.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Lamoriello’s actions will speak for his words...

22. Watching the Islanders, I remember one of Lou Lamoriello’s tenets: “You only add at the deadline when you think you can win,” he said when he added Marek Zidlicky for the Devils in 2012. New Jersey went to the Cup Final. Now the question is: How good does he think the Islanders are?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'm not sure I agree with the bolded. Is he a guy you want shutting down the other team's top line? No. But I think he's solid enough defensively that he's not a liability. He's no worse than a guy like Leddy is defensively, IMO.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm not sure I agree with the bolded. Is he a guy you want shutting down the other team's top line? No. But I think he's solid enough defensively that he's not a liability. He's no worse than a guy like Leddy is defensively, IMO.

I think that's fair. Neither are a dumpster fire, but they leave a little something to be desired defensively.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’m nervous and excited. On one hand the team is playing great on the other hand I just think we’re too early in this process to make a big trade for a rental.

We could trade our 1st + for a rental, lose in the first round, lose the rental,lose Lee, lose Nelson, and lose Eberle.

We might need picks and futures to replenish the club or use in trades in the summer for guys with term.

I do trust Lou but I feel if we’re this good now under Trotz that we’ll be that much better as players get a full year in his systems and build off of this season.

I wonder if we’d be granted permission to speak with Panarin on an extension? It could actually benefit both teams. Panarin is not re-signing
And CBJ could get a better return if Panarin agrees to an extension with another team.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
On Hockey Central they talked about the Islanders making a deadline move. The group's consensus is that the Isles shouldn't swing for the fences, as they aren't at that point in the plan. The host pointed out that LL did it in NJ, and McLean's response was to look at what happened to the Devils after that and how they got buried. Host said that if you pick up a Duchesne or Panarin and win a few rounds, it makes it more likely that Lee and others re-sign. McLean said that they aren't as strong as it seems, and that it's all Lehner standing on his head (so obviously he is wrong.)

Of course, considering the show is Leafs propaganda, they don't want the Isles bulking up and possibly facing the Leafs in the playoffs.

Volek25

Apr 23, 2007
St. Louis, MO
On Hockey Central they talked about the Islanders making a deadline move. The group's consensus is that the Isles shouldn't swing for the fences, as they aren't at that point in the plan. The host pointed out that LL did it in NJ, and McLean's response was to look at what happened to the Devils after that and how they got buried. Host said that if you pick up a Duchesne or Panarin and win a few rounds, it makes it more likely that Lee and others re-sign. McLean said that they aren't as strong as it seems, and that it's all Lehner standing on his head (so obviously he is wrong.)

Of course, considering the show is Leafs propaganda, they don't want the Isles bulking up and possibly facing the Leafs in the playoffs.

I listed to this show every day, rarely miss listening, and these guys hardly ever give props to the Isles. In the past, no reason to, and last season or two during the whole JT hasn't signed yet and Belmont up in the air, Nick Kypreos and the gang buried the Isles every chance they got and unfortunately probably for good reason. But at least this year, they have given them some small positives with Lou and Barry running the team. Doug Maclean on the show usually the only one that will bring up the Isles and give them some congrats and good commentary (altho the host David Amber today did bring them up briefly), but for the most part, these guys don't give the Isles a sniff of time and high regard. After the Isles smoked Toronto, after they smoked the Lighting, the Caps, etc. the guys on this show usually will then discuss another topic and just completely blow over the fact that the Isles played well or made some statements. But if Toronto or the Pens or Vegas or the Sharks do anything, they are all over it.

My point being, yes this is Toronto media, yes I listen to this show every day just because its good hockey talk to listen to during lunch or when I'm staring at my TPS reports at work, but these guys will never pump our tires like they do the other teams, maybe when we win the Cup, they'll give us a full two minutes of time.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Questionable sources but still excited for some reason as this is the first time in a long time that I actually think we may get a big name by the TDL.. trying to work but keep looking at my phone, way too early for this..

Looking for simultaneous announcements of acquiring Simmonds and also signing Lee.... one can dream, but even I can't dream big enough for Panarin... prove me wrong Lou, I dare you!

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
And so does yours.

So you think Connor McDavid and, say, Travis Zajac for instance should be paid roughly the same? They're both #1 centers for their respective franchises.

Wow. Zajac vs MCDavid. Lol. Just because you’re the best center on a bad team doesn’t mean you’re designated a #1 center. By the way, barzals 1st 2 Years will eclipse zajacs best 2. One of the worst arguments I’ve ever seen. Jesus Christ.

Yes, Barzal will need to be paid. And it will be after next season. And it will be a ton. And it will be large because we don’t want the superstar at 28 to basically say that they took a team friendly deal and they did nothing with the sacrificed money.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad