Rumor: Rumors & Proposals VIII: Somethings gotta give

Status
Not open for further replies.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec ·
All is veeery quiet on the Western front. Be surprised if Oilers did anything today now.

-insert fart noise-

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
I'm thinking moving Hall may be our best way out of this.

My ideas...

TB - Drouin and Vasilevskiy.

EDM - Hall.

or

ANA - Gibson or Anderson and Lindholm or Fowler.

EDM - Hall.

or

NSH - Josi, Fiala, and Saros.

EDM - Hall.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why are people so hell bent on a trade happening now? It would be terrible.

1.) Most of our players are at rock bottom in value, meaning we will get bent over in most any trade because we are dealing from a position of extreme weakness.

2.) There is no trade that can salvage this season.

3.) The problems this team has go far beyond something fixable by one or even two trades.

Making a trade because you're frustrated is just a stupid idea. Other GMs will smell the desperation and jump all over that situation.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm thinking moving Hall may be our best way out of this.

My ideas...

TB - Drouin and Vasilevskiy.

EDM - Hall.

or

ANA - Gibson or Anderson and Lindholm or Fowler.

EDM - Hall.

or

NSH - Josi, Fiala, and Saros.

EDM - Hall.

Unless they get McDavid, these trades would make me quit being an Oiler fan and I weathered all types of **** as a fan the last 25 years so that's saying something.

Saying now that we're going to trade away the only no.1 pick who actually plays like a no.1, and we're stuck with duds no.1 picks like RNH and Yakupov instead and have to build something around that ... no thanks.

I did not suffer through 9 years of this crap rebuild to watch a team that's moderately talented at best.

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010
Unless they get McDavid, these trades would make me quit being an Oiler fan and I weathered all types of **** as a fan the last 25 years so that's saying something.

Saying now that we're going to trade away the only no.1 pick who actually plays like a no.1, and we're stuck with duds no.1 picks like RNH and Yakupov instead and have to build something around that ... no thanks.

I did not suffer through 9 years of this crap rebuild to watch a team that's moderately talented at best.

except the fact that oilers win all those suggested trades and we're able to spread our talent from strength to an area of significant weakness.

think of it as Quebec trading lindros to philly for the foundation to the great avs teams of the late 90s and early 00s

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
except the fact that oilers win all those suggested trades and we're able to spread our talent from strength to an area of significant weakness.

think of it as Quebec trading lindros to philly for the foundation to the great avs teams of the late 90s and early 00s

So as long as one of those "pieces of filler for weaknesses" turns in to a HHOFer, along with another guy on the roster already becoming a HHOFer, then the Oilers are set? Makes perfect sense.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

No they wouldn't.

That teams would get their rear end spanked by the likes of the more talented (yes *more* talented) Flames and Avalanche and Hawks if they ever crawled themselves to an 8th seed wild card berth.

Nugent Hopkins and Yakupov are not the two players you build a team around, overrated as hell. Matt Duchene is better than both of them, would not be surprised at all if Sam Bennett is far better too, Monahan is already well on his way to being better than RNH.

Hall is the only one of these 1st overalls we've gotten that was worth the pick.

It would be back to being the late 90s Oilers and being a punching bag for the Dallas Stars of the world only I doubt that group would have anywhere near the same heart.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

1.) Most of our players are at rock bottom in value, meaning we will get bent over in most any trade because we are dealing from a position of extreme weakness.

3.) The problems this team has go far beyond something fixable by one or even two trades.

Making a trade because you're frustrated is just a stupid idea. Other GMs will smell the desperation and jump all over that situation.

You're probably right when it comes to a big trade. But you guys absolutely need at least a minor trade so Draisaitl can be sent back to juniors. If that means overpaying a little for a #3C, it's still more than worth it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Yeah except Nugent Hopkins can't carry Sakic's jockstrap and none of the trades suggested here bring us back a player like Forsberg so that "we're the Avs!" analogy goes down the toilet pretty fast.

To be honest Colorado was fairly lucky that (Lindros) trade worked out because it's not a trade they wanted to do obviously, they would have a Cup or two with Sakic/Lindros/Roy anyway.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

I asked a year or two ago if people would rather have one Cup (say, the Bruins) with the Oilers or have a dozen years of being a good-to-great team (say, the Sharks), it was overwhelmingly "one Cup".

I was surprised. I think, for overall enjoyment, season after season, I'd rather have a team that could contend, year after year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I asked a year or two ago if people would rather have one Cup (say, the Bruins) with the Oilers or have a dozen years of being a good-to-great team (say, the Sharks), it was overwhelmingly "one Cup".

I was surprised. I think, for overall enjoyment, season after season, I'd rather have a team that could contend, year after year.

Name a team that contends year after year with a Nugent Hopkins level player as their best player?

RNH has a long ways to go to be even a center of Jason Spezza caliber.

I think Josi would get exposed hard here too without Weber bailing him out. He's not a franchise d-man that can anchor the fortunes of a back end.

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
I dont get you guys, nuge is our 1C look at pheonix getting rid of turris too early. Nuge is a much better player just saying. You guys just mad and not thinking straight

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta

Human nature lol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I dont get you guys, nuge is our 1C look at pheonix getting rid of turris too early. Nuge is a much better player just saying. You guys just mad and not thinking straight

That's fine but I'm not willing to build the entire franchise around him.

Or even a Kyle Turris level player. That's simply not good enough of a player to be a good team with.

I never said get rid of RNH either, just "hell no" to him effectively being our best forward and thinking we are going to be better off in said scenario. No way. This guy right now is a huge question mark to be even a Jason Spezza level player.

Not unless a prime Chris Pronger is the d-man that's coming back in a trade for Hall.

It's bad enough that two of the 1st overalls we got aren't bonafied superstar type players, but trading the only one we got that is trending in that direction would make me lose it.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

i certainly don't want ANY trades as long as the current management group is still with the team... having mact make a major trade is all but guaranteed to mean that we will lose the trade.... as he seems incapable of identifying players that will make a positive impact on the oilers, either through trade or free agent signing

don't get me wrong i want to make some major trades (starting with eberle and schultz), but i just don't our current management group making those trades, as they will screw them up

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
Ok well I never thought of trading Hall. Him and Nuge are here to stay. Id trade the rest except Drai, Nurse our 1st 2015 and maybe one of Klef/marincin

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
All just shuffling of the deck chairs...

There is no easy fix for this team. It isn't because of the coach. It isn't because of the 2nd line C. It isn't because of the defense.
It's the whole gamut, from top to bottom. The organization has sucked at trading, FA signing, drafting and developing for so long, it's devoid of the proper talent to compete in the NHL. Sure, there will be the odd time when peole will say "that was great, looks like they're on their way.

All a mirage. The entire organization needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, starting will upper management, to coaches, scouts and players. They need to bring in veteran management and players. People that know what it's like to grow an organization and create the culture that's needed for this team to succeed again. Keep a few of the young potential stars that you think you can salvage with the right environment, as well as a few of the current vets.

It's too late for the deck shuffling...Piecemeal won't work any more..

These are my thoughts as well, whatever team we have managed to field at this point is clearly not cutting it and even with new management and a coach and scouts, etc I don't actually believe we can recover from the losing culture that's grown here by next year. Major players will have to be moved because there's just too much bull**** in our history, and we will likely start another rebuild with McEichel and 1-2 of the 3 kids.

There's issues in every aspect of this organization, however I think it's fair to say the upper management are what propogated this mess in the first place, and now everyone has become a part of the problem, but it started up top.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
Please oilers. Do the right thing and call Lander up while sending draisaitl to world Jr's / back to PA or wherever.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What we need is an *intelligent* off-season where we make some low-cost pick ups.

Look at what the Islanders did ... Grabovski, Boychuk, Leddy, Halak acquired in one off-season, the only big asset they gave up was a 2nd round pick.

If you fired Eakins and replaced him with a competent, experienced coach like a Brent Sutter or Terry Murray, and then added Grabovski, Boychuk, Leddy, and Halak to the Oilers instead of Pouliot, Purcell, Nikitin, Fasth, etc. would we be in the situation we are now?

I mean **** why didn't we even take a flyer on the likes of Derek Morris and Dustin Penner? These guys probably could give us the same production we're getting out of our so called "big UFA pick ups" for a fraction of the cost.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
I think Josi would get exposed hard here too without Weber bailing him out. He's not a franchise d-man that can anchor the fortunes of a back end.

Man, Josi has looked like a stud and maybe he's a guy who could actually be available for a high price. People like to act like playing with Weber is a negative but he's got top notch skills and has learned playing with the best. Seems to work out for their defenseman and who develops dmen better than Nashville.

Of course, anyone moving to Edmontons defense will get exposed more. We just got to determine if he's the type of dman who won't fold under the challenge and can give us a legit top pairing to rely on with Fayne to allow us to develop defenseman underneath them. Determining that will be risky though because the only guy on our team that can get you that type of dman besides trading away a center is Hall.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Please oilers. Do the right thing and call Lander up while sending draisaitl to world Jr's / back to PA or wherever.

I'd just keep Drai here until the world junior. You're not going to damage his progression any more than you have at this point, and he actually looks like he's starting to adjust to the pace/physicality of the NHL, so at this point suddenly yanking him away from that would probably frustrate the kid more than anything.

Let him get his feet a little more wet, then send him to the World Junior and then send him back to Prince Albert in the New Year.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'd just keep Drai here until the world junior. You're not going to damage his progression any more than you have at this point, and he actually looks like he's starting to adjust to the pace/physicality of the NHL.

Let him get his feet a little more wet, then send him to the World Junior and then send him back to Prince Albert in the New Year.

His feet are so wet he's developed trench foot. Give it a bit longer and we'll have to do an amputation. I sincerely believe that the longer you keep him here, the more likely you are to ruin/stunt his development.

Get him the hell out of here.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
Dreger's Insider Trading report was really a whole lot of nothing (surprise). Just reiterated that the Oilers are doing a full analysis from the top down, and that the next days could be telling in which direction they decide to go. He said it's possible they could do something, or stand pat and do nothing with the goal being McDavid.
So basically, something might happen, but on the other hand, maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad