Rumor: Rumors & Proposals VIII: Somethings gotta give

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His feet are so wet he's developed trench foot. Give it a bit longer and we'll have to do an amputation. I sincerely believe that the longer you keep him here, the more likely you are to ruin/stunt his development.

Get him the hell out of here.

Last night's game is honestly probably the best game he's played.

I think he would be pissed off if you yank him now, what was the point of having him go through the tougher periods and then you pull him just when he looks like he's starting to hold his own?

There's nothing another 5-10 games in the NHL is going to do than just teach him at this point more about where he needs to be come next training camp.

If there was no fight in this kid I would say send him down, but I saw some fight in him yesterday. Let him have a few more games. It's not going to radically alter his develop one way or another at this point, but it will better prepare him for camp next year IMO.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I asked a year or two ago if people would rather have one Cup (say, the Bruins) with the Oilers or have a dozen years of being a good-to-great team (say, the Sharks), it was overwhelmingly "one Cup".

I was surprised. I think, for overall enjoyment, season after season, I'd rather have a team that could contend, year after year.

Well at least if you won a Cup you've got some great memories and go down in history. St. Louis made the playoffs for like 12 straight years without winning a Cup and nobody is going to remember that. Fans aren't bragging about that.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
What would you guys want from Toronto for Perron? Is Gardiner for Perron fair? Or a C like Holland +

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Dreger's Insider Trading report was really a whole lot of nothing (surprise). Just reiterated that the Oilers are doing a full analysis from the top down, and that the next days could be telling in which direction they decide to go. He said it's possible they could do something, or stand pat and do nothing with the goal being McDavid.
So basically, something might happen, but on the other hand, maybe not.

lol so he went all eklund on us what a dope he shouldnt say anything unless he has something to say.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I dont get you guys, nuge is our 1C look at pheonix getting rid of turris too early. Nuge is a much better player just saying. You guys just mad and not thinking straight

Agreed. Calling Nuge a dud is utterly ridiculous. I expect better from Soundwave than a comment like that.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Gardiner on his own isn't enough

I would take Gardiner on his own in a heartbeat, to be honest. Insurance if Petry decides to leave (and wingers are easier to get in free agency than useful d-men). If Petry stays, we'd have 4-5 useful dmen depending on deployment (Petry, Gardiner, Fayne for whatever situation. Ference and one of Klefbom or Marincin in sheltered roles).

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
If you guys get McDavid, would you rather trade Draisaitl for a Morgan Rielly type or Nugent-Hopkins for a Justin Faulk type?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agreed. Calling Nuge a dud is utterly ridiculous. I expect better from Soundwave than a comment like that.

For a 1st overall pick he is. 56-ish point pace in his 4th season, yesterday was the first time he scored against the Western Conference all year long.

The only reason he isn't the most disappointing forward taken 1st overall since Stefan is because Yakupov is even worse, lol.

I'm not saying he's a bad player but relative to what you should be getting from a forward picked 1st overall he is as of right now a disappointment.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If you guys get McDavid, would you rather trade Draisaitl for a Morgan Rielly type or Nugent-Hopkins for a Justin Faulk type?

I suspect the Oilers would move Yakupov + Schultz for a Tyler Myers + in that type of scenario.

I want to see what we have in Draisaitl too before considering any trade for him and you can't trade RNH because you need him to shelter McDavid/Draisaitl.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

RNH for Seth Jones. However, I'm starting to lean to toward Hall for OEL and Eberle for Couturier+ and Schultz for whatever. Too much toxic on this team.

edit: I would even go hard in getting Thornton, to shelter and mentor RNH, Draisaitl and McDavid and Yakupov.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
For a 1st overall pick he is. 56-ish point pace in his 4th season, yesterday was the first time he scored against the Western Conference all year long.

The only reason he isn't the most disappointing forward taken 1st overall since Stefan is because Yakupov is even worse, lol.

I'm not saying he's a bad player but relative to what you should be getting from a forward picked 1st overall he is as of right now a disappointment.

While I agree the two players we got from those drafts at 1st overall RNH and Yak are hardly stars, they could be further along in their development if we could find some veterans to limit their ice-time and give them the room to grow their game organically but we play them too much and in my opinion set them back at least a few years.

I push alot of the blame on their performance over to how we developed them even if they weren't meant to be stars they could be solid 60 pt players in this league.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

You're setting him to a different standard and i think his rookie season skewed expectations.

He was always going to be a bit of a project due to his frame and the team situation. Just look at the situation around him, 3 coaches in 3 seasons, no support whatsoever so he has to carry the entire scoring load at such a young age thus it's easier for teams to focus on shutting him down plus he has had all the wrong coaches guiding him.

If he had gone into a situation like Seguin for example where he was eased into the league properly, not expected to burden such a heavy load and had vet coaches with adaptable systems to ease into, i virtually guarantee that he would be twice the player he is now.

With that said, despite all the toxicity around him, he's actually doing ok all things considered. I also think the insistence of having Hall and Eberle on his line is stunting his development. He has to focus on covering for their defensive deficiencies of which are very glaring so it hurts his offense. Having Pouliot on his line afforded him to have more offensive freedom because Pouliot gave him defensive support.

He's far from a dud especially when looking at his situation in proper context.
I do wish he was a bit further along by now so i will admit that but i'm a big believer in him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think if the Oilers actually do get McDavid they will actually back away from making any huge trades.

You don't know what you have in Draisaitl, for all you know a core of McDavid-RNH-Drai down the middle might be the key to winning a Cup at some point (LA and Pittsburgh have won under this formula), so you don't want to throw that option out the window before even trying it.

They will likely buy out Nikitin, maybe throw big money at a D-Man like Methot or Boychuk, hire an experienced coach (even go after Babcock I think), and add some really nasty 4th liners to smash anyone's face in for looking sideways at McDavid.

Getting McDavid likely placates Hall and co. too, yes they're frustrated but having him will suddenly change the tenor of the team especially if a top flight coach is also brought in. So it buys the Oilers time, and all of the sudden too Nurse and Klefbom suddenly are knocking on the door to play as well.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Leaf fans would balk at Perron straight for Gardiner--even taking clarkson off their hands

To be honest I can see Perron being a 25-30 goal scorer in Toronto out East.

They seem like a pretty good fit for his style of play. Being here and losing all the time is really taking a toll on him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How about Perron for Adam Larsson?

Jersey has a bunch of injuries upfront right now too.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Last night's game is honestly probably the best game he's played.

I think he would be pissed off if you yank him now, what was the point of having him go through the tougher periods and then you pull him just when he looks like he's starting to hold his own?

There's nothing another 5-10 games in the NHL is going to do than just teach him at this point more about where he needs to be come next training camp.

If there was no fight in this kid I would say send him down, but I saw some fight in him yesterday. Let him have a few more games. It's not going to radically alter his develop one way or another at this point, but it will better prepare him for camp next year IMO.
I could see him having an incredible amount of points in a few years. His vision is incredible, he has fight in him and his passing ability is Awe inspiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad