Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: National Reporters say EK65 to Edmonton in the Works; Local Reporters Scoff. JP Conclusion Near?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Last thread hit 60+ pages in a matter of days.

There's a little over two weeks remaining to the deadline; things appear to be getting smokier with Karlsson. Word also has it the two megastars may have told Holland they need an elite puck mover.

Chychrun looked like it was all done to LA then Nick "The trade killer" Kypreos spouted off LA's 2018 election would be going to AZ. LA said "not true" and since Kypreos's tweet, it's hit a snag and other teams are apparently back involved.

What to do with JP? Rumor has it Yamamoto will be back this week and JP will either be traded or waived.

It was a slow go to build the plot but it's become a pretty damn good soap opera the last few days if you were to ask me!

And Calgary blew a 2 goal lead in the last 2-3 minutes then lost in OT to Ottawa. Not rumor related, just glad it's happening to them now.

Carry on!

Reactions: Oilhawks

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
EK would be nice but it’s a pipe dream at this point. 10% chance of it happening.

Should see a roster move today if Yammo is ready to go.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Use those assets that are being asked for EK and get something better that won't hinder this team for years to come. That contract was a buyout candidate last year and likely the same next year and years to come. Need to stop looking at the shiny new toy. H3ll, add to the ask and go after Josi instead. Why are we doing the Sharks a favour to offload that contract?

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Reposting from previous thread:

SJS retain 26% on Karlsson’s full cap hit. This brings contract from $11.5M AAV to $8.5M.

EDM send 2023 1st round pick, Schaefer,
Barrie, Foegele and 2024 2nd to SJS

ARI retain 18% on Karlsson’s 8.5M AAV contract. This brings contract down to $7M AAV.

EDM send 2024 1st round pick, Puljujarvi to ARI
SJS send 2024 3rd round pick to ARI

Overall -

Edmonton receives: Karlsson at $7M AAV and is on the hook for ~$25M in real dollars
Edmonton gives: 2023 & 2024 1st, 2024 2nd, Foegele, Barrie, Schaefer
——

San Jose receives: EDM 2023 1st, EDM 2024 2nd, Schaefer, Barrie, Foegele
San Jose gives: 2024 3rd, Karlsson

San Jose retains $3M/year in cap hit and eats $10M of Karlsson’s remaining $40M owed.

——

Arizona receives: EDM 2024 1st, SJS 2024 3rd, Puljujarvi

Arizona retains $1.5M/year in cap hit and eats $5.4M of Karlsson’s remaining $30M owed.

EDIT

I am going off the assumption that Arizona is okay with retention, considering they seem willing to do that for Chychrun, and they essentially took on dead money in the Kassian deal from us as well.

Kassian had 2 years left at $3.2M and fetched (essentially) a 2nd and 3rd. That was also the cost of taking on $5.8M in real money.

In the case above, Arizona is just eating $1.5M in cap hit for 4 years and $5.4M in real dollars (less money overall). For that, they receive a 1st plus. That should be plenty of incentive to want to get a deal done, particularly for a team that doesn’t want a high payroll for its players but still needs to reach the cap floor.

Reactions: McDoused

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Karlsson is a risk. No doubt about that. But the reward could be exceptional. He's not as mobile as he once was but he is still brilliant with the puck and is extremely creative. I would play him with Broberg and leave the Nurse Ceci pairing alone. Tell Broberg that his job right now is to play a simple game. Let Karlsson have the puck and watch and learn. Honestly, just cutting down Nurse's minutes would do wonders for him I believe.

Even at the asking price I don't think you make many true first pairing defensemen available at an affordable cap hit. Nashville might move Josi for the top end of some of the offers for Karlsson if they go rebuild but they are not taking any retention. But would Josi want out of Nashville? Most of the best defensemen also come with NTC and NMC's that are problematic for the Oilers. We are only assuming that Karlsson want out but we don't even know if he would accept going to the Oilers for sure.

All the top end guys who have moved recently have pretty much picked their location as pending UFA's. There was the Subban/Weber trade as the possible exception.

You mention Ekblad and Parayko. You might get Ekblad if you offered the package for Karlsson, not for the package for Chychrun. Parayko is just not in the same stratosphere as a Karlsson when he is playing well. In fact, I'd actually be quite uneasy about Parayko. He has never really had his best success as a top line guy. His most effective years were when he was playing behind AP. Now he has a back issue that is very concerning for a big guy that you want to be your defensive anchor. Not that I would not take a chance on him. But the price would have to be right.

In the end though the real problem is that most teams realize that it is much harder to find a real #1 defenseman than almost anything else. The chances that you get one out of a pick in the second half of teh first is very slim. So when they have one they won't give him up easily.

I came to post this with my monthly message :)

Karlsson normally does not need a stellar partner, he has worked very well in the past with young players and/or 2nd/3rd pair-level Ds. Broberg or Kulak would definitely be my choice, leaving Nurse with Ceci on a regular basis.

Would be pretty cool if the Oilers land Karlsson.

edit: I will add though (same as last time around when this was discussed), I cannot see it happening... And as last time I really hope I am wrong about that, but it just seems too hard to get done with that kind of retention.

Last edited:

NoDust33

Apr 11, 2016
Use those assets that are being asked for EK and get something better that won't hinder this team for years to come. That contract was a buyout candidate last year and likely the same next year and years to come. Need to stop looking at the shiny new toy. H3ll, add to the ask and go after Josi instead. Why are we doing the Sharks a favour to offload that contract?
Karlsson is not the shiny new toy. He is a two time, likely three time norris trophy winner, who has had injuries but has rebounded this year to have one of the finest offensive performances by a defenceman in modern history. His impact as an offensive driver this year for a defenceman is on a level similar to mcdavid as a forward.

Yes, his value cratered the last couple years but I don't think this was due to declining performance as much as injury, and he has managed to stay healthy this year. There is significant risk but this is why he's even available.

This calibre of defenseman rarely becomes available let alone actually moved, karlssons status of being on a lottery team combined with the length and size of his contract are the reasons that he's even available.

If the Oilers want to add a bonifide number 1 defenseman before draisaitls contract is up to make a serious run, this is their chance. You brought up Josi but there is 0 indication that Nashville has any interest in moving him, would be willing to retain which is necessary, or that josi would waive his nmc. Teams do not just move these types of players because they get a good offer, there needs to be a reason.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Karlsson normally does not need a stellar partner, he has worked very well in the past with young players and/or 2nd/3rd pair-level Ds. Broberg or Kulak would definitely be my choice, leaving Nurse with Ceci on a regular basis.

He made 30 year old AHLer, Jason Megna , look like a top4 D.

Kulak or even Broberg would look more than fine with him, I’d bet.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
What to do with JP? Rumor has it Yamamoto will be back this week and JP will either be traded or waived.

It was a slow go to build the plot but it's become a pretty damn good soap opera the last few days if you were to ask me!

And Calgary blew a 2 goal lead in the last 2-3 minutes then lost in OT to Ottawa. Not rumor related, just glad it's happening to them now.

Carry on!

Might as well waive Puljujarvi first as that makes it a little easier for a trade.

At this point trading Puljujarvi with a million retained for futures might be the best option for the Oilers.

Buried Jesse counts as 1.875M on the cap.

Love to see the Flames lose like that.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I would like the Oilers to make a good trade today as a valentine present to me.
I know my wife didn't get me anything.

We kind of have to make a move of some sort today. Need 3.1 million tomorrow to activate Yamamoto and currently only have ~1.9 million after Devin Shore was assigned to condors.

Screenshot_20230214-071908.png

Means we basically need to waive two guys or complete a deal by 2 pm EST today or we're not cap compliant.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I'm just so prepared to be disappointed. Lines like GMKH saying "Guide and Record book" and "You can't squeeze GMs in the NHL". A billion firsts and all of our best assets for an old player with foot/ankle problems. The best I can hope for is conditions relating to Karlsson playing a certain amount of games or us reaching the Stanley Cup final.

I'm scared to see what it might actually cost us.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Means we basically need to waive two guys or complete a deal by 2 pm EST today or we're not cap compliant.

The Oilers only need to waive one player, as long as the player makes $1.125M or more. $1.125M is the maximum cap savings from burying a player in the AHL.

1.125 + 1.975 = 3.1M which is Yamamoto's cap hit.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

Kulak lololol, yeah Karlsson is up pushing offense and Kulak fumbling around at the back, that would work.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I see what you're saying, but you absolutely play Nurse with Karlsson, they will just also play with other guys.

EK would be nice but it’s a pipe dream at this point. 10% chance of it happening.

Should see a roster move today if Yammo is ready to go.
There's not much to suggest this is true (the pipe dream) It just takes work. The team are talking and are willing.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
man, I'd love to see Karlsson on this team but I think it's more of a summer deal than right now...

however, if they could trade 1st in 2023, 2nd in 2024, Bourgault and Tyson Barrie for Karlsson (SJ retains 3 million)
trade Puljujarvi for anything (may need a sweetener)

Foegele and a 3rd to Arizona for Nick Bjugstad

Kulak-Karlsson
Nurse-Ceci
Broberg-Bouchard
Desharnais

imagine Nurse or Karlsson out there for 50 minutes a game? wow
in any case, playing Nurse less is a good thing too

plus, we'd be DEEP at center and some size down the middle with Bjugstad

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Reposting from previous thread:

SJS retain 26% on Karlsson’s full cap hit. This brings contract from $11.5M AAV to $8.5M.

EDM send 2023 1st round pick, Schaefer,
Barrie, Foegele and 2024 2nd to SJS

ARI retain 18% on Karlsson’s 8.5M AAV contract. This brings contract down to $7M AAV.

EDM send 2024 1st round pick, Puljujarvi to ARI
SJS send 2024 3rd round pick to ARI

Overall -

Edmonton receives: Karlsson at $7M AAV and is on the hook for ~$25M in real dollars
Edmonton gives: 2023 & 2024 1st, 2024 2nd, Foegele, Barrie, Schaefer
——

San Jose receives: EDM 2023 1st, EDM 2024 2nd, Schaefer, Barrie, Foegele
San Jose gives: 2024 3rd, Karlsson

San Jose retains $3M/year in cap hit and eats $10M of Karlsson’s remaining $40M owed.

——

Arizona receives: EDM 2024 1st, SJS 2024 3rd, Puljujarvi

Arizona retains $1.5M/year in cap hit and eats $5.4M of Karlsson’s remaining $30M owed.

EDIT

I am going off the assumption that Arizona is okay with retention, considering they seem willing to do that for Chychrun, and they essentially took on dead money in the Kassian deal from us as well.

Kassian had 2 years left at $3.2M and fetched (essentially) a 2nd and 3rd. That was also the cost of taking on $5.8M in real money.

In the case above, Arizona is just eating $1.5M in cap hit for 4 years and $5.4M in real dollars (less money overall). For that, they receive a 1st plus. That should be plenty of incentive to want to get a deal done, particularly for a team that doesn’t want a high payroll for its players but still needs to reach the cap floor.
Horrible. So Arizona gets a 1st AND a 3rd for retaining only 1,5 million??

If Oilers trade for Ek65 and Arizona as a 3rd part, I wish Oilers get an extra forward as well in the trade.

First of
SJ to Arizona
SJ gives Ek65 retained 2,5 millions (9,0 m), 4th 2023.

Arizona, Oilers

Arizona gives Ek65 1,5 millions more retained - tot 7,5 millions , Bjugstad
Oilers gives 2024 2nd, Schafear, Yamamoto.

Sj gets from Oilers 2023 1st, 2024 1st cond., Niemo, Pulju. Barrie.

Nurse Ek65
Broberg Ceci
Kulak Bouchard
VD

Center depth
McDavid
Nuge
McLeod
Bjugstad

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.