Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | 21 Man Roster Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
So who gets promoted in Kane's absence? Assuming a 3-4 month absence (as was with Ilya Mikheyev), a little bit of cap to play with, so a Janmark can come up, a couple others if you really want. Another thing to consider is Benson is probably close too, just started skating. If he plays like he did even the end of last year, he adds an assholery and surprising physicality that's really missing from our bottom 6. It can't be much worse than our current carousel. Holloway has moments, but so even does Devin Shore. McLeod has absolutely been the best bottom 6er in our roster, and I remember him doing well in spurts on Drai's wing. Wonder if you just shift Hyman to the LW and promote Yams... though he really has not earned it and probably played better engaged hockey on he third line today.

RNH-McDavid-Pulju
Hyman-Drai-Yams
Foegele-McLeod-??Shore/??Holloway
Benson-Ryan/Shore-Janmark

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So who gets promoted in Kane's absence? Assuming a 3-4 month absence (as was with Ilya Mikheyev), a little bit of cap to play with, so a Janmark can come up, a couple others if you really want. Another thing to consider is Benson is probably close too, just started skating. If he plays like he did even the end of last year, he adds an assholery and surprising physicality that's really missing from our bottom 6. It can't be much worse than our current carousel. Holloway has moments, but so even does Devin Shore. McLeod has absolutely been the best bottom 6er in our roster, and I remember him doing well in spurts on Drai's wing. Wonder if you just shift Hyman to the LW and promote Yams... though he really has not earned it and probably played better engaged hockey on he third line today.

RNH-McDavid-Pulju
Hyman-Drai-Yams
Foegele-McLeod-??Shore/??Holloway
Benson-Ryan/Shore-Janmark
Janmark is a PKer. Might be good to add

Reactions: Mcnofool6110

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
You would think Janmark and Kostin would get the first opportunities. Hopefully Kane isn't out for too long though.
I think them, and one of XB or Hamblin. I haven't followed Bakersfield much to know who warrants a call-up though.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think them, and one of XB or Hamblin. I haven't followed Bakersfield much to know who warrants a call-up though.

Holland isn’t calling XB up this early. That isn’t his MO and it isn’t like XB is lighting the world on fire in the A. Expect veteran bottom 6 guys and a bigger focus on defence overall from the team for the months (probably) that Kane is out

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I suspect Kane is LTIRed tomorrow.

RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Holloway - Draisaitl - Hyman
Foegele - McLeod - Yamamoto
Janmark - Ryan - Kostin
Benson/Shore

We can finally run a 23 man roster for a while, albeit under unfortunate circumstances.

Unfortunately, given Holloway’s usage so far, I would be shocked to see him on the 2nd line.

I think fans are going to be annoyed to see something like this:

Nuge - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Hyman - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Janmark - McLeod - Foegele
Hamblin - Ryan - Kostin
Benson / Shore

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Really sucks to lose Kane but at least the PP remains intact. They’ll need to step it up in his absence 5 on 5. It might be months without Kane, I just hope he doesn’t lose any functionality if it takes time it takes time.

There’s still a good team here but 1 or 2 guys stepping up would be great

Duder54

Dec 11, 2017
Canadian ex-pat in Zurich, Switzerland
Really sucks to lose Kane but at least the PP remains intact. They’ll need to step it up in his absence 5 on 5. It might be months without Kane, I just hope he doesn’t lose any functionality if it takes time it takes time.

There’s still a good team here but 1 or 2 guys stepping up would be great
Healing and re-gabbing the wrist will take time, but if there’s one positive in it, at least he’ll be able to continue to skate and maintain his fitness during that process.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It’s too bad there’s no one on the Blues to trade for that would realistically be available.

Maybe you can get impending UFA Barbashev now with the cap from LTIR for Kane.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It’s too bad there’s no one on the Blues to trade for that would realistically be available.

Problem is when Kane comes back that pushes us over the cap unless significant dollars go out with that trade.

Pretty obvious they are trying to pump and dump PJ at this point with him getting the prime McD minutes so that could work with Barbashev I guess.

Don’t know enough about his game to comment on the trade though. Holland has legendary patience so will be interesting to see how he handles this which will probably depend on how the team handles Kanes absence.

Kane LTIR could be a blessing in disguise if we can run 23 man roster. Our boys will be more rested for the playoffs, and Kane could come in hungry like last year.

Perhaps Kane can’t even come back till Playoff game 1? Would be a shame to use the Tampa Bay / Kucherov over the cap playoff excuse but I’m sure Bettman would find a way to block it.

Reactions: Cloned

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Kane LTIR could be a blessing in disguise if we can run 23 man roster. Our boys will be more rested for the playoffs, and Kane could come in hungry like last year.
Yeah depending on how long he's out (hopefully not long honestly) he could be an internal deadline add.

I know he's been absolute trash this year, but I think I would call about ROR, because I think he adds the right things to this group. Or Mikkola on the blueline, soon to be a UFA.

Last edited:
Reactions: McWeber

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Yeah depending on how long he's out (hopefully not long honestly) he could be an internal deadline add.

I know he's been absolute trash this year, but I think I would call about ROR, because I think he adds the right things to this group.
I would argue that the Oilers' top need is a 2nd pair LD to shelter Bouchard & push Kulak down to where he belongs.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Janmark - Ryan - Kostin
Benson/Shore

We can finally run a 23 man roster for a while, albeit under unfortunate circumstances.
This is how I’ve mapped it out in my head too.

I think Holloway is given this opportunity to step up and frankly, Yam and PJ also will be given more minutes , they each played over 15+ yesterday as a result of losing EK early. Collectively they aren’t replacing Kanes potential point production or value to the team and we’re still somewhat handcuffed, because we need to make sure we can make 5 million in space when Evander does return.

In the interim Kostin and Janmark also get called up. I don’t want to say that Kanes injury helps the team, but playing with a full roster as they get deeper into the schedule isn’t a bad thing.

Adversity builds champions.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Janmark - Ryan - Kostin
Benson/Shore

I think its going to be more like:

RNH/Hyman - McDavid - JP
Hyman/RNH - Draisaitl - Yama
Foegele - McLeod - Janmark
Kostin - Holloway - Ryan
Shore/Benson

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I know he's been absolute trash this year, but I think I would call about ROR, because I think he adds the right things to this group. Or Mikkola on the blueline, soon to be a UFA.
Don’t think you can fit ROR in cap wise.

I don’t know enough about Mikkola to comment.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

Janmark - Ryan - Kostin
Benson/Shore

Maybe we luck into someone raising their trade value enough to justify making a trade and clearing some cap before Kane returns?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It may very well work out that way.

The real disaster would be missing the playoffs. Kane's absence for even three months should not cause that to happen. Once they get through the rest of November the schedule for December and January is actually much easier.

The ability to use Kane's LTIR to fill out the roster should compensate slightly for his loss. The big question is does anyone step up in Kane's absence. Guys like Yamamoto, Foegele and JP can really make a statement towards staying with the team if they can do that. If they can't, then they pretty much seal their fate as far as being an Oiler long term is concerned. It doesn't even have to be the same guy all the time.

Reactions: belair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad