Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | 21 Man Roster Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Nobody is selling in early November Jimmi, not selling any impact players.

In any event, I'm not panicking about this so we'll just agree to disagree that the Oilers HAVE TO make a move right now before the season is over in short order.
The Oilers don't "need" impact players, they have the ultimate impact players. They need competent players who can better fill the holes that currently exist.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Send down Foegele and Holloway, callup Janmark and Kostin.

Holloway deserves to be here over multiple players in the bottom six but he needs minutes as well. Once Benson is activated then send down Shore.

Bottom six will then be a mix of Mcleod, Ryan, Kostin, Janmark, Benson, Yamamoto and JP.

It still won't mean much if we don't get a 2nd pairing shutdown D.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Stauffer and Seravalli mentioning possible energy guys. Sam Lafferty sounds relatively interesting as a PK guy and another right shot pivot. I can't say I'm too hyped about Stauffer's suggestion of Zack McEwan. He's had a tough time getting into any roster he's ever been on. I'm not sure he's even much of an upgrade on what we might have in Kostin.

I do agree that the bottom six has to add another element though. If the offense isn't going to be there consistently, you have to be tough to play against. Finish checks, keep pucks deep and make your opponent work for their space.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Stauffer and Seravalli mentioning possible energy guys. Sam Lafferty sounds relatively interesting as a PK guy and another right shot pivot. I can't say I'm too hyped about Stauffer's suggestion of Zack McEwan. He's had a tough time getting into any roster he's ever been on. I'm not sure he's even much of an upgrade on what we might have in Kostin.

I do agree that the bottom six has to add another element though. If the offense isn't going to be there consistently, you have to be tough to play against. Finish checks, keep pucks deep and make your opponent work for their space.
To be honest, going from Foegele to Janmark would also do a bit of that as well, imo.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
To be honest, going from Foegele to Janmark would also do a bit of that as well, imo.
Janmark is the opposite of physical though. I'm not sure how effective of a special teams player he is, but he's always come off as more of a secondary skill forward than an effective bottom six option.

We'd also have to put someone on LTI or make a trade to call him up. Waiving Foegele only clears $1.1m.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Janmark is the opposite of physical though. I'm not sure how effective of a special teams player he is, but he's always come off as more of a secondary skill forward than an effective bottom six option.

We'd also have to put someone on LTI or make a trade to call him up. Waiving Foegele only clears $1.1m.
They need to dump Foegele with a sweetener and call it a day.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He must punch himself in the balls every night regretting signing with the Oilers

Yeah I feel for him. Just kind of a shitty deal he got here.

I dont know much about the player, but he was much bigger and better skater than I expected. Just looked like he was going through the motions in preseason. Hes probably pissed that he didnt even get to play a game at this point. Cant really blame him.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Foegele would be great if he was making under 1 million. Holland jumped the gun and thought he had a potential top 6 LW on a value deal at 2.75 million when he signed him right after acquiring him from Carolina.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
As are some other goalies that were cheaper and available for the Oilers to sign. But it seems for whatever reason they were dead set on Campbell. More myopic General Managing that has been a hallmark of the Oilers for a very long time now.
Sounds like Hyman might of had some influence as well

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That I agree with. I actually think Janmark would be an upgrade on at least 5 forwards in the lineup right now. He's a good player and a solid PKer which is a desperate need, something Foegele doesn't provide. I've actually liked Foegele's game more than not (more than Puljujarvi and Yamamoto) but you have to produce something at some point if you're not affecting the game in other areas.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Foegele would be great if he was making under 1 million. Holland jumped the gun and thought he had a potential top 6 LW on a value deal at 2.75 million when he signed him right after acquiring him from Carolina.
Foegele has been underwhelming for sure. Dazzles with strong skating and will occasionally flash some skill... usually just before farting the puck into the corner. Trumped as an analytics darling upon the move, this guy continues to play himself down the lineup.

Holland paid this guy on a wild belief he might have latent top six abilities. Now they have a $2.7 million dollar fourth liner who is immoveable. Brind'Amour knows something about checking and work rate. Clear why this was a moveable part in Carolina. You can afford the limited play of Foegele at bottom basement pricing but not at the horribad money and term invested before a minute played here.

Farm time for Foegele. Janmark should get a shot to deliver safe, smart bottom six minutes on a team that's leaking goals and getting nothing beyond McLeod and Ryan from its bottom six.

Reactions: Aerchon

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah I feel for him. Just kind of a shitty deal he got here.

I dont know much about the player, but he was much bigger and better skater than I expected. Just looked like he was going through the motions in preseason. Hes probably pissed that he didnt even get to play a game at this point. Cant really blame him.
He'll get a call up at some point. The numbers game is what really squeezed him out after training camp. And I'm sure the Oilers were very clear about the cap situation when he actually did sign. Doubtful there were any promises made to him about icetime.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He did get lucky with Keith and Smith retiring but I don't think anybody thought going into the offseason that he'd be able to bring back the same team and sign one of the top UFA goalies as well, absolutely nobody thought that was possible especially getting Kane at that number. Obviously the Campbell investment kind of stinks right now but it's 15 games in and am not ready to deem Campbell as a failure.

I don't know, I'm not ready to jump ship like some of you guys. It's been a rough stretch but the team will be fine, I'm sure of it. They absolutely need to add a significant piece to Cup contend but, for now, there's no reason to panic IMO.
Nobody is jumping ship. The reason most people here are spamming about who to trade who to waive or whatever is b/c we're trying to determine who we need to throw off the ship to get it to start moving again. And Campbell, Foegele, Yams, Bison are probably the 4 biggest anchors relative to cap hit right now in that order. That's why we're pissed at Campbell. If he could just give us like 0.900 goaltending we'd be in more of these games but nope he has to put up Carter Hutton level numbers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He did get lucky with Keith and Smith retiring but I don't think anybody thought going into the offseason that he'd be able to bring back the same team and sign one of the top UFA goalies as well, absolutely nobody thought that was possible especially getting Kane at that number. Obviously the Campbell investment kind of stinks right now but it's 15 games in and am not ready to deem Campbell as a failure.

I don't know, I'm not ready to jump ship like some of you guys. It's been a rough stretch but the team will be fine, I'm sure of it. They absolutely need to add a significant piece to Cup contend but, for now, there's no reason to panic IMO.

Both things can be true

1.) The Oilers are a dangerous team that could make the conference finals again because they have mega powerful top 6.

2.) Holland is a mediocre GM who got bailed out last year by Evander Kane falling into his lap.

One doesn't preclude the other.

Not panicking but they sorta are what they are, a team that's going to have a rollercoaster of ups and downs under the GM gets serious about actually going all in versus slowly, slowly building up areas of weakness and taking years to address needs while betting the farm that guys like Broberg are going to be big impact players (this I doubt).

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Foegele has been underwhelming for sure. Dazzles with strong skating and will occasionally flash some skill... usually just before farting the puck into the corner. Trumped as an analytics darling upon the move, this guy continues to play himself down the lineup.

Holland paid this guy on a wild belief he might have latent top six abilities. Now they have a $2.7 million dollar fourth liner who is immoveable. Brind'Amour knows something about checking and work rate. Clear why this was a moveable part in Carolina. You can afford the limited play of Foegele at bottom basement pricing but not at the horribad money and term invested before a minute played here.

Farm time for Foegele. Janmark should get a shot to deliver safe, smart bottom six minutes on a team that's leaking goals and getting nothing beyond McLeod and Ryan from its bottom six.
The problem with making this kind of claim on a guy like Foegele is that there was something there in Carolina. And I wonder if we theoretically added a center like Jonathan Toews, he'd have that similar type of line make up that he had with Jordan Staal, who he played with a lot in his last season there.

If we add another impactful forward at some point, I'm not convinced we wouldn't see am emergence of secondary offense from one or two of the guys who are currently treading water.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The problem with making this kind of claim on a guy like Foegele is that there was something there in Carolina. And I wonder if we theoretically added a center like Jonathan Toews, he'd have that similar type of line make up that he had with Jordan Staal, who he played with a lot in his last season there.

If we add another impactful forward at some point, I'm not convinced we wouldn't see am emergence of secondary offense from one or two of the guys who are currently treading water.
He had opportunities when last season began. Nothing stuck whether as a crash 3rd line with Kassian or time with the super elites. He ultimately worked his way down the line up to ultimately healthy scratch playoff time. His fine motor skills severely limit his effectiveness to deliver secondary scoring and he's not a real great puck suppression player either.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Foegele
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

All have shit hands. You can add Kassian to that pile too.

This team over emphasizes the need for "skate real fast and create chaos!" and not enough basic "can you actually shoot a shot that would beat an NHL goalie?".

Holland is very, very lucky Evander Kane fell into his lap.

Now Kenny is going to be paying more 2nd round picks to get rid of Foegele's contract in the summer.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

It hasn't even really been that rough of a stretch. Everyone was flying high coming off a five game win streak. A few games later its right back to the same old "might not even make the playoffs, wish we had our old shitty players back, fire people" nonsense.

We've gone through this exact same song and dance every year since Holland took over and they've figured it out over the back half every year.

I'm sure with the silly american thanksgiving deadline coming up people will up the dramatics, but it's all just silly noise at this point in time, imo.

Feb 9, 2013
It hasn't even really been that rough of a stretch. Everyone was flying high coming off a five game win streak. A few games later its right back to the same old "might not even make the playoffs, wish we had our old shitty players back, fire people" nonsense.

We've gone through this exact same song and dance every year since Holland took over and they've figured it out over the back half every year.

I'm sure with the silly american thanksgiving deadline coming up people will up the dramatics, but it's all just silly noise at this point in time, imo.
That or they've failed to address the issue that has people feeling like they do.

Thus team is so far from a legit cup contender.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm not fond of giving up assets to part with productive players. You're suggesting a possible double cost to upgrade what is essentially a high turnover role in your roster.

I don't buy that a guy like Janmark, Benson or Kostin is an upgrade longterm. Maybe there's a point where one may take a step, but it's far likelier the established veteran finds his game.

When we're moving contracts like Foegele, Puljujarvi or Yamamoto, I tend to believe a deal not unlike the one Tampa made all those years back acquiring JT Miller and Ryan McDonagh might be something that might be beneficial to Edmonton's current needs and payroll structure.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Foegele
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto

All have shit hands. You can add Kassian to that pile too.

This team over emphasizes the need for "skate real fast and create chaos!" and not enough basic "can you actually shoot a shot that would beat an NHL goalie?".

Holland is very, very lucky Evander Kane fell into his lap.

Now Kenny is going to be paying more 2nd round picks to get rid of Foegele's contract in the summer.
You don't need great hands to play in the bottom six though. That isn't the game you're looking for. And if you watch the highlights of him in Carolina, his goals come from sustained cycles and routinely see him being hit in the slot.

If we had a third line that ran the way we want it to, I think Foegele is the guy whose benefits the most. Our current third line struggles to generate any kind of sustained offense and the shots almost always end up coming from the points.

I don't really buy the addition by subtraction logic and think it's a mistake to be paying any sort of value ridding yourself of the player. Particularly when you look at the success rate of our bottom six players in the past.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You don't need great hands to play in the bottom six though. That isn't the game you're looking for. And if you watch the highlights of him in Carolina, his goals come from sustained cycles and routinely see him being hit in the slot.

If we had a third line that ran the way we want it to, I think Foegele is the guy whose benefits the most. Our current third line struggles to generate any kind of sustained offense and the shots almost always end up coming from the points.

I don't really buy the addition by subtraction logic and think it's a mistake to be paying any sort of value ridding yourself of the player. Particularly when you look at the success rate of our bottom six players in the past.

Players who don't have good hands are prone to going on extended goal scoring droughts because the NHL is not a charity league, goalies are not going to give you freebie goals. Then that goes on long enough and confidence craters and we see how it goes.

Our bottom 6 is just trash. I don't think Holland even knows who to identify to fix it, because Foegele was supposed to be THE player you are talking about (spark plug who makes the bottom 6 more productive), instead now you want a $5 million dollar center to come and hold the $2.7 million dollar bust's hand when we badly need money spent on the D corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad