Rumor: Rumors & Proposal Thread VI: Rumours starting to come fast and furious

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If our first move of the summer is moving Anton Lander and actually getting a draft pick for him, that will be fantastic.

I'd be very happy to start off what's likely going to be an incredibly emotional summer as an Oiler fan.

Agreed. I hope some major changes happen.

We need a new identity and belief that the team can win night in and night out. With McDavid entering his second season and the new arena we need a winning attitude and desire to become champions. The end goal has to be to win Stanley Cups. Period. That has to be what we are striving for.

The time for waiting is over, we need to start winning now and putting a team on the ice that other teams hate playing. I hope the new barn becomes as intimidating as the old barn was during its prime.

It just feels like we're at the point where it's like what are we waiting for? I have faith that Chia will make the necessary moves and we can start a new chapter in the Oilers story.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Agreed. I hope some major changes happen.

We need a new identity and belief that the team can win night in and night out. With McDavid entering his second season and the new arena we need a winning attitude and desire to become champions. The end goal has to be to win Stanley Cups. Period. That has to be what we are striving for.

The time for waiting is over, we need to start winning now and putting a team on the ice that other teams hate playing. I hope the new barn becomes as intimidating as the old barn was during its prime.

It just feels like we're at the point where it's like what are we waiting for? I have faith that Chia will make the necessary moves and we can start a new chapter in the Oilers story.

I'll admit: Do I have complete faith in Chiarelli? Of course not. With a million opinions about the direction of where the team should go, it's always going to be a bit difficult to trust the call of one man.

However, like every offseason, it's innocence until proven guilty. Since MacT's first summer in 2013, there's always a date where I tend to lose hope on the season ahead:

2013: July 5, Oilers overpay Ference and Gordon on longer-ish deals. This was after we magically shedded Horcoff, a great move. To be fair to Gordon, he actually wasn't so bad.
2014: June 25, Oilers blow their brains out on Nikitin early.
2015: June 26, Oilers overpay hard for Griffin Reinhart. This is when I knew the D wouldn't be good enough yet.

Now, that's just my opinion every year...people liked all of those moves and some still have hope to turn out (like Reinhart), just those were the moves that made me see reality.

Since December, Chiarelli has acquired Maroon and Kassian for little to nothing. He's also made some nice moves like Talbot and Sekera that have proven to be key. Even MacT brought in Pouliot and I think he's important here for at least one more season. At least even though we see those brain-numbing dumb moves every year, there's been some positive changes over time inch-by-inch.

Last summer, many fans said this was the summer to go big or go home...they said to hold onto Scrivens, Nikitin and Purcell because we'd be able to spend their UFA money later on some real nice pieces to add to the roster. Well, let's see what we can do with some money...and hopefully, let's try to free up some more.

Until that day of losing hope comes...if it does (fingers crossed it doesn't), then I am very optimistic that the offseason of change and smart decision-making is arriving soon.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'll admit: Do I have complete faith in Chiarelli? Of course not. With a million opinions about the direction of where the team should go, it's always going to be a bit difficult to trust the call of one man.

However, like every offseason, it's innocence until proven guilty. Since MacT's first summer in 2013, there's always a date where I tend to lose hope on the season ahead:

2013: July 5, Oilers overpay Ference and Gordon on longer-ish deals. This was after we magically shedded Horcoff, a great move. To be fair to Gordon, he actually wasn't so bad.
2014: June 25, Oilers blow their brains out on Nikitin early.
2015: June 26, Oilers overpay hard for Griffin Reinhart. This is when I knew the D wouldn't be good enough yet.

Now, that's just my opinion every year...people liked all of those moves and some still have hope to turn out (like Reinhart), just those were the moves that made me see reality.

Since December, Chiarelli has acquired Maroon and Kassian for little to nothing. He's also made some nice moves like Talbot and Sekera that have proven to be key. Even MacT brought in Pouliot and I think he's important here for at least one more season. At least even though we see those brain-numbing dumb moves every year, there's been some positive changes over time inch-by-inch.

Last summer, many fans said this was the summer to go big or go home...they said to hold onto Scrivens, Nikitin and Purcell because we'd be able to spend their UFA money later on some real nice pieces to add to the roster. Well, let's see what we can do with some money...and hopefully, let's try to free up some more.

Until that day of losing hope comes...if it does (fingers crossed it doesn't), then I am very optimistic that the offseason of change and smart decision-making is arriving soon.

Agree completely. We've been burnt so many times over and over again.

For me, it's the first time that I can remember in a very long time that I feel like we have a sense of direction and vision for the future. This past decade has just been a **** show with no real sense of direction.

One thing that's different this offseason for me is the sense of urgency to start winning. As in, right now. With 97 and 29 still on ELCs we need to surround our young skilled guys with some real veterans who can play. Even if that means paying some guys big dollars to come in for a couple years before 97 and 29 get their massive pay day.

I don't know if anyone else feels the same, but I just feel this sense of urgency to start competing for a championship that we didn't necessarily have under previous regimes. At least not like this, 97 changed everything. It's kind of like, enough is ****ing enough. We can do this and start to take over the Pacific. Time to go out and do what we can to take it.

Avenger*

A million opinions?

The objectives are clear as day:

#1 - 2x top 4 right hand d-men
#2 - Solidify the 3rd line
#3 - Backup goaltender

At this point it doesn't really matter how it's done as long as it doesn't involve McDavid.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
A million opinions?

The objectives are clear as day:

#1 - 2x top 4 right hand d-men
#2 - Solidify the 3rd line
#3 - Backup goaltender

At this point it doesn't really matter how it's done as long as it doesn't involve McDavid.

That's an opinion.

Some want to move Hall, some want to move RNH, some want to move Eberle, some want to move 4th overall, some want to move Yakupov, some want to move Nurse or Klefbom...

It's up to one guy and his management team to decide these things. I don't envy him.

Avenger*

That's an opinion.

Some want to move Hall, some want to move RNH, some want to move Eberle, some want to move 4th overall, some want to move Yakupov, some want to move Nurse or Klefbom...

It's up to one guy and his management team to decide these things. I don't envy him.

I wouldn't really call that an opinion. The player with the highest value league wide won't be moved while on an ELC. It just doesn't happen.

That aside, the team has proven that they will stay in the basement with the core they have so for the most part it really doesn't matter how the above objectives are met if it results in a more complete lineup.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think we'll start hearing more rumour noise and news starting Wednesday, because teams can start buyouts 48 hours after the finals end.

It would seem logical that teams will start to "get going" around that time.

Oct 15, 2008
The Stanley Cup is over. Why didnt I wake up to 50 rumours from credible sources!? I REQUIRE RUMOURS!!!!!

I heard a rumour Lowe and Mact are still calling the shots and have the ability to do so without raising suspicion because they have a couple of beards (Nicholson and Chiarelli) to shield them from the public.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Trade; rnh and yak for brodin, haula and 15th (Pouliot for picks)
Draft; 4th for 7th and Stone. Draft Sergachev and Fabbro. 2nd for Shaw.
Signing; McGinn, Schlemko and Khudobin.

Hall-Draisaitl-McGinn
Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Haula-Shaw-Pakarinen
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Brodin
Sekera-Stone
Davidson-Schlemko

Talbs/Kudo

Atleast get Spurgeon from Minny. He is a good D. Brodin is hands down most overrated D in NHL. Hes is barely a #4 at this point. Smid 0.5

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I would rather keep Lander than give him away. I'd have no problem with him as our 4th line center. He wins faceoffs and is relatively cheap and still not too old.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I would rather keep Lander than give him away. I'd have no problem with him as our 4th line center. He wins faceoffs and is relatively cheap and still not too old.

He does little things well, but 3 points in 61 games is just atrocious. Have to think there is someone else who can do that job better. It's too bad, I really had hoped the Oilers were going to get a player in Lander and he's a real quality character by all accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad