Rumor: Rumors & Proposal Thread VI: Rumours starting to come fast and furious

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Hall actually drives the play in a way no one other than McDavid does. Trading him to get a D and replacing him with lesser players like Lucic is two steps forward and one step back.

Except Lucic is not a lessor player . He more physical , he a better 2 way player , He scores more goals . Hall skates faster and puts up more points and while he has improved his 2 way play he still is as good in many aspects of the game . Now you could argue Hall is still developing and can get better and I would agree . In 3 or 4 years Hall is likely the better player hands down

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Beyond what Lucic brings to our team, signing him is like getting a free asset (outside of money). We don't have to give up any players to get him. This makes moving other assets for D much easier.

I really hope Chia can close with Lucic (at the right price -- McDavid and Drai will need to get paid soon). He'd be a great veteran addition and instant fan favourite. I want guys like Lucic and Maroon around McDavid, Drai, and Hall.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
I've been reading that a 5 year deal at 6mil per for lucic would b OK. Would it be advisable to offer him a 7 year deal for 4.3mil per? If oilers plan on competing next few years the lower cap hit would help with signing some role players.
Same thing would go for Tyson barrie. If he wants higher $$$. Offer him a 8 year deal but way lower cap $$$.

Jun 9, 2011
I've been reading that a 5 year deal at 6mil per for lucic would b OK. Would it be advisable to offer him a 7 year deal for 4.3mil per? If oilers plan on competing next few years the lower cap hit would help with signing some role players.
Same thing would go for Tyson barrie. If he wants higher $$$. Offer him a 8 year deal but way lower cap $$$.

Prefer to pay a player more for shorter term, but don't want Lucic at all. Our forwards need cheaper role players ala Maroon. Not a bunch of guys making 6 mil.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'd rather keep Fayne than sign Schlemko (he managed to be -22 on a defence first, last, and always team, in front of a top 5 goalie), and Brodin has no more business on a top pairing than Nurse does.

Well Brodin actually has played on the top pairing successfully so he has more business on the top pairing than Nurse does, but his level of play of late and his inability to produce offense don't inspire me with confidence.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Sign lucic
Trade pou + 4oa for barrie and 10oa
Yak for wisnewski + 2nd
Trade 2nd for shaw
Sign Gryba 1 year deal

Hall-rnh-drai
Lucic-mcdavid-eberle
Maroon-shaw-kassian
Hendy-letestu-pak/pitlick
Lander

Klef-barrie
Sekera-wiz
Davidson-fayne
Gryba

Talbot
Ufa backup

Keep Reinhart and nurse in ahl

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
When do the Oilers make their first trade of the offseason?

I think maybe a smaller deal, i.e. a trade involving Yak might happen in the next bit. Hard to say though.

I really hope we don't move the #4 OA pick until we see how the top 3 shake out. If Pulju is sitting there available to us, it would take one hell of an offer to move that pick. With added expansion draft exemption value, I'd think we sprint to the stage and take McDavids future RWer.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Except Lucic is not a lessor player . He more physical , he a better 2 way player , He scores more goals . Hall skates faster and puts up more points and while he has improved his 2 way play he still is as good in many aspects of the game . Now you could argue Hall is still developing and can get better and I would agree . In 3 or 4 years Hall is likely the better player hands down

Lucic doesn't score more goals. Lucic has played 266 more games than Hall (he's been in the league 3 seasons longer) and has 29 more career goals. He's only posted more goals than Hall twice in a season since Hall has been in the league. Once in Hall's rookie year where Hall only played 65 games, and last season when Hall missed 30 games.

Lucic is also not a better two-way player. He just plays on better teams. He's not better at managing the puck, he has lots of poor turnovers, especially at the opposing teams blue line and his lack of speed leaves him exposed at times.

Lucic is stronger along the boards than Hall, and generally more physical. But otherwise Hall is better across the board. At everything.

Gretzky to Kurri

May 9, 2015
Well Brodin actually has played on the top pairing successfully so he has more business on the top pairing than Nurse does, but his level of play of late and his inability to produce offense don't inspire me swith confidence.

There are players on every team in the league who have more business on the top pairing than Nurse.

Edit:
Ahhh... Sorry just saw the context of your comment with Chaotic Orange.

Last edited:

Gretzky to Kurri

May 9, 2015
Beyond what Lucic brings to our team, signing him is like getting a free asset (outside of money). We don't have to give up any players to get him. This makes moving other assets for D much easier.

I really hope Chia can close with Lucic (at the right price -- McDavid and Drai will need to get paid soon). He'd be a great veteran addition and instant fan favourite. I want guys like Lucic and Maroon around McDavid, Drai, and Hall.

Ditto. His presence alone.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Ditto. His presence alone.

Guys like Lucic and Maroon open up time and space for players like McDavid and Hall.

McDavid thrives with a power winger on his line who can dominate the cycle game and get to the net. I think Lucic at the right price would be an excellent signing and gives us more balance up front.

You don't want an entire team of Lucic and Maroons, but pairing them up with skill guys like McDavid and Hall will open lots of ice offensively for them.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
He's a 2/3 guy on the worst defence in the NHL. He got every opportunity to put up points last year and had 30.

Tell me where this guy would play as a 2/3 guy on a good NHL team. He was playing 4/5/6 minutes in Los Angeles playing behind Doughty/Muzzin/Martinez/McNabb where he put up 4 points after his acquisition there.

He sucks at putting up points. He sucks at breaking out of our zone. He sucks on the PP. He is average at defending and that was his role on a team with good defencemen. He is a #4 or #5 guy on playoff teams. The fact he plays the most minutes here speaks volumes about how trash our D is, not how good Sekera is.

Justin Schulz went from playing huge minutes to being sheltered disgustingly by Pittsburgh. Our defence is a mockery and Sekera is part of the mockery.

Have you seen him skate up the ice slower than what I thought possible, weaving left and right through open ice only to get to centre and chip a puck into the opponents zone after our forwards had to stop skating? Or when he holds onto the puck way too long in our end?

This guys brain doesn't operate at the NHL level. He's too slow and cautious to get anything done. The fact you argue he is a #2 guy when he has been shown to be a #4 at best on good teams says enough about your credibility in "evaluating talent".

No person on earth except maybe you thought Sekera would be paid that much. Teams were obviously hesitant in signing this guy because they saw he was a #4 or 5 guy in L.A. and were wondering why the **** they would ever pay 5.5 for a guy like that who doesn't produce offence.

Anyone willing to watch the last 30-40 games last year saw Davidson was head and shoulders above Sekera or anyone else on the backend.
People like you are starting to overrate Davidson and underrate Sekera.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Some blockbuster ideas.

4th overall, Draisaitl, Sekera for Subban and 9th overall

Hall and 2017 1st for McDonaugh and Nash

Eberle and Nurse for Hamonic and Lee

Trade Pouliot/Yak/Reinhart/9th for a few RW's and a 3C

Nash McDavid ?
Lee RNH ?
Maroon ? Caggiula

McDonaugh Subban
Klefbom Hamonic
Davidson
Sure glad you aren't the GM. That team is a guaranteed 30 place team.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Sure glad you aren't the GM. That team is a guaranteed 30 place team.

Those are some pretty crazy deals but I doubt...

Nash McDavid ???
Lee RNH ???
Maroon ??? Caggiula
??? ??? ???

McDonaugh Subban
Klefbom Hamonic
Davidson ???

Talbot
???

...would be a bottom feeder. Thats probably the best D in the NHL with a solid goaltender. McDavid, Nash, RNH, Lee upfront is also nice.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
If our first move of the summer is moving Anton Lander and actually getting a draft pick for him, that will be fantastic.

I'd be very happy to start off what's likely going to be an incredibly emotional summer as an Oiler fan.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
The right call for right now is to do something like 4 for Barrie - which I still
think the Avs need to add to - and roll

Klefbom-Barrie
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Gryba
Musil

next season. It's a serious upgrade to our D without moving out any of what we have, it hopefully lets Fayne recoup some of his value, as he did finish the year pretty strong, and we don't move out any of our young guys before we know what we have. Win-win-win.
Avs will likely be asking for the moon and an overpayment.

Gretzky to Kurri

May 9, 2015
If our first move of the summer is moving Anton Lander and actually getting a draft pick for him, that will be fantastic.

I'd be very happy to start off what's likely going to be an incredibly emotional summer as an Oiler fan.

Interestingly that 3C position has me very curious how it gets filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad