Rumor: Rumors & Proposal Thread VI: Rumours starting to come fast and furious

Status
Not open for further replies.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yeah. Cullen would be a major addition. The guy is the perfect veteran mentor. Sign him for two years and give him like 2 million and I am down.

He turns 40 this year. You don't sign a 40 year old to a 2 year contract unless his name is Teemu Selanne, Jaromir Jagr, or Chris Chelios.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Man Toronto fans are still delusional about Kessel. The guy goes on to help win the cup in Pittsburgh and was clearly not the problem in Toronto. They seriously got burned in that trade. I mean they have almost nothing to show for trading Kessel. Kappanen and Harrington will be depth guys if they make the NHL (something you can get through free agency), Spaling was traded away for more mediocre picks with Polak. The first rounder they got from the Penguins is the worst it could possibly be and really their is a big drop off in the draft around 25. Makes me think their is still hope for acquiring a top pair defenceman for random junk.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Guys did you read the Cullen article in the Players' Tribune? He was already contemplating retirement so his kids could have a more normal life and he only went to Pittsburgh because of the chance to play for 1 more Cup.

I'm guessing he either signs 1 more year with the Pens or retires.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Man Toronto fans are still delusional about Kessel. The guy goes on to help win the cup in Pittsburgh and was clearly not the problem in Toronto. They seriously got burned in that trade. I mean they have almost nothing to show for trading Kessel. Kappanen and Harrington will be depth guys if they make the NHL (something you can get through free agency), Spaling was traded away for more mediocre picks with Polak. The first rounder they got from the Penguins is the worst it could possibly be and really their is a big drop off in the draft around 25. Makes me think their is still hope for acquiring a top pair defenceman for random junk.

Picks/prospects to rebuilding teams are worth gold. Shanny got so caught up in rebuilding he lost site of how to correct for those values. He just gave away Kessel to whoever offered a shiny 1st round pick and some other pieces.

Shanny does a good number of right moves, but got robbed blind in Kessel deal

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Guys did you read the Cullen article in the Players' Tribune? He was already contemplating retirement so his kids could have a more normal life and he only went to Pittsburgh because of the chance to play for 1 more Cup.

I'm guessing he either signs 1 more year with the Pens or retires.

I agree Cullen won't happen. Just someone like him is sorely needed here. Such a reliable player for what? 18 years?

Avenger*

I would rather keep Lander than give him away. I'd have no problem with him as our 4th line center. He wins faceoffs and is relatively cheap and still not too old.

All Lander does is win faceoffs and PK. If Letestu actually plays where he's supposed to on the 4th line he's a much better option.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ok, offseason has officially started. Instead of doing a list of what I want, here is a list of what I DONT want

1. Backes at anything over 4.5 mil and anything longer than 4 years
2. Lucic at anything over 6 mil and longer than 3 years
3.Eriksson/Demers at anything over 6 mil
4. Just say no to Brodin
5. Ignore Logan Brown, pretend hes not there. Same goes for any D at 4
6. Say no to trading Hall for anything short of a top 7 D in NHL

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Ok, offseason has officially started. Instead of doing a list of what I want, here is a list of what I DONT want

1. Backes at anything over 4.5 mil and anything longer than 4 years do not want AT ALL
2. Lucic at anything over 6 mil and longer than 3 years You won't come close to Lucic at this price/term. He's this years Clarkson
3.Eriksson/Demers at anything over 6 mil Eriksson is just a no alltogether
4. Just say no to Brodin Spurgeon or bust
5. Ignore Logan Brown, pretend hes not there. Same goes for any D at 4 Totally agree. Trade down or just take one of the sure fire picks at 4
6. Say no to trading Hall for anything short of a top 7 D in NHL

Who do you think is fair value for hall?

Jun 9, 2011
For those calling a big overhaul, noooooo. Some of our third and fourth liners were very effective pkers, don't mess with that too much. We need health and one good dman. We can't keep showing up each year like an expansion team with players that aren't familiar with each other and the coach. This year we have returning coaching staff, ugh for the pp, but anyway, let's have most of the same guys return. It's not just skill that builds a team. If Chiarellie gets us an upgrade on d, not a superstar, but an upgrade, I think we will do very well this year.

Also, why is no one counting on any guys from the AHL making the team? Instead of signing midlevel guys from outside, let's have some flow like Detroit model.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Who do you think is fair value for hall?

I would peg him at exactly Subban value wise. Subban is a top 5 or even top 3 D in NHL but has largest cap hit in NHL for D at 9 mil, Hall is a steal at 6mil

OEL is another one id say Hall is on par with value wise. So if I am trading Hall, its for Subban, OEL, Pietrangelo at minimum

As for Lucic, I think 6M will be his price. If you look at 2 past UFA periods, you see the price of UFA dropping significantly. Not many people are handing out over 6m anymore. With a flat cap and a good amount of teams withing 6M of cap or even right against it, the market for UFAs has shrunk considerably

If he got over 6m id be shocked

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
For those calling a big overhaul, noooooo. Some of our third and fourth liners were very effective pkers, don't mess with that too much. We need health and one good dman. We can't keep showing up each year like an expansion team with players that aren't familiar with each other and the coach. This year we have returning coaching staff, ugh for the pp, but anyway, let's have most of the same guys return. It's not just skill that builds a team. If Chiarellie gets us an upgrade on d, not a superstar, but an upgrade, I think we will do very well this year.

Also, why is no one counting on any guys from the AHL making the team? Instead of signing midlevel guys from outside, let's have some flow like Detroit model.

I bet Khaira gets a long look at training camp for the 4th line. Maybe a Hendricks-Letestu-Khaira? Of course that puts Kassian on the 3rd line then, which might be alright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad