Rumors Are Starting To Fade

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENSible1*

discostu said:
It's still much easier said than done.

I understand the owners need for it, but in reality, if negotiations continue at a decent pace, an owner retreat back to linkage right away would be a very difficult maneuver to pull, without accusations of negotiating in bad faith to be thrown out. That hurts with public relations, and with trying to continue to faction the union, let alone any attempt at declare an impasse.

If things hit a road-block over the summer, then they can retreat back to linkage, claiming the damage incurred by the lockout has changed the reality. Making that claim at this stage is a very dangerous maneuver in this negotiation game.

I'm not so sure about that Disco. When a major element of uncertainty is added to the equation by the loss of the season, then owners are well within their rights to put linkage back on the table without it being bad faith bargaining.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
I'm not so sure about that Disco. When a major element of uncertainty is added to the equation by the loss of the season, then owners are well within their rights to put linkage back on the table without it being bad faith bargaining.

I understand that it may be within their rights, it doesn't mean those accusations won't get thrown out there, and that it will make the negotiations difficult.

I'm not saying that they may not abandon it eventually, it will however, require a strategy to do so. You can't reverse your position so quickly. You would come off as an SOB, and lose credibility in the negotiations, and stop the process in its tracks, which isn't good for anyone.

My guess is that the owners will bring linkage back into the discussion through indirect ways (i.e. through the use of "triggers" which has become a popular tactic on both sides).

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Devilsfanatic said:
Sure they're starting to fade, it's the calm before the storm. Im as optimistic as I've ever been, if it doesn't happen, fine, but, the tension from these rumors are fun!
if you're optimistic, then there must be some sway in all these rumors.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
futurcorerock said:
if you're optimistic, then there must be some sway in all these rumors.
Can we close or revise this, because flat-out there are no fade in rumors. If anything, I woke up this morning and was bombarded with "deal on the table" by many news sources.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
what has happend was the logical next step..(If it happend that is)

Yesterday, the PA splinter group found its voice within the Union and perhaps formed a big enough...They then had to decide on how to approach the situation and what to do next... Feelers were let out to see where the NHL stood...the NHL did not squash the bug..
Once the splinters met up, they would naturally quite up, as to not be known as the failed revolt of 2004-2005 if it does not pan out..

All that happening in a day was HUGE

Today, the offer was/is fromulated by the PA splinter group, while at the same time they continued to feel out the NHL's position on this...Perhaps tonight, early tomorrow they either bring the offer to the NHLPA, or possibly to the NHL if the PA leadership is involved in the revolt by this point(we don't really know).. this part is going to be very silent.. as neither side wants to create false hope, or potentially look too weak to the other..

SENSible1*

discostu said:
I understand that it may be within their rights, it doesn't mean those accusations won't get thrown out there, and that it will make the negotiations difficult.

I'm not saying that they may not abandon it eventually, it will however, require a strategy to do so. You can't reverse your position so quickly. You would come off as an SOB, and lose credibility in the negotiations, and stop the process in its tracks, which isn't good for anyone.

My guess is that the owners will bring linkage back into the discussion through indirect ways (i.e. through the use of "triggers" which has become a popular tactic on both sides).

Stu,

Didn't Bettman make it clear that linkage was back on the table at his PC?

Goodenow made similar statements, if memory serves.

(Note, I'm not talking about any movement to get a deal signed for this season)

I think we can take them at their word.

Doctor Zoidberg

Feb 16, 2005
futurcorerock said:
Can we close or revise this, because flat-out there are no fade in rumors. If anything, I woke up this morning and was bombarded with "deal on the table" by many news sources.

Articles written yesterday or last night that have been proven to be untrue. It's all the hockey news' fault. They printed a BS story and everybody ran with it.

Jaysfanatic*

VAN-HAB said:
Why did they delete the thread about the new Linden offer (as per ckac radio???????????)
Who did that? :madfire:

You deleted it.

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site
We will need a link to a credible news source, not a fan site. If someone would like to start a thread on the radio report, others will need to confirm they heard the same, or it will be deleted as well.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Doctor Zoidberg said:
Articles written yesterday or last night that have been proven to be untrue. It's all the hockey news' fault. They printed a BS story and everybody ran with it.

The Hockey News' story was false that Gretzky & Mario were negotiating something.. everything else (with a name on it) has not been proven untrue

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
Holly Gunning said:
We will need a link to a credible news source, not a fan site. If someone would like to start a thread on the radio report, others will need to confirm they heard the same, or it will be deleted as well.
DID YOU ALLOW TIME FOR ANYBODY TO CONFIRM THAT?????????? :shakehead :shakehead

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
Stu,

Why on earth would we do anything resembling taking those two at their word. NOTHING in these negotiations should be taken at face value. Ever. Its the nature of these things. If we all did that, these boards would have been dead since December.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
VAN-HAB said:
DID YOU ALLOW TIME FOR ANYBODY TO CONFIRM THAT?????????? :shakehead :shakehead

I agree with you it shouldn't have been deleted. It's not like he was just saying that withut a source. CHfan was the source and I don't see a problem with that. :dunno:

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
bcrt2000 said:
The Hockey News' story was false that Gretzky & Mario were negotiating something.. everything else (with a name on it) has not been proven untrue

Mario and Wayne were talking about something... be it even just the end of the season..

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
x-bob said:
I agree with you it shouldn't have been deleted. It's not like he was just saying that withut a source. CHfan was the source and I don't see a problem with that. :dunno:
Attitude problems with some mods here

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
www.tsn.ca:

Reprentatives of both NHL owners and players have not given up hope of salvaging the NHL season and many are confident games will be played this spring, TSN has learned.

According to sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity, several NHL owners have been in contact with agents and players in hope of getting a deal done.

"We can't let this thing die when we're so close," said one team executive. "We've come this far, it would be insane to lose the season over a relatively small gap."

Nordik_19

Dec 18, 2002
Québec
Visit site
The thread that was deleted was about a french report saying that linden and Gartner made another proposal to Bettman with a link that they are saying is a blog. Also I heard CKAC reported the same thing it's a french radio station in Mtl.

Jaysfanatic*

Yeah, VANHAB you need to chill on the mods dude, they're doing what the rules state.

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
futurcorerock said:
you need to PM a mod about getting it reinstated... aside, will you fill us in who didnt see the thread as to what was said?
Linden and Mike Gartner presented NHL with a new offer (46 millions cap)!

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
Stu,

I don't recall anything about Goodenow making such statements, but I didn't pay too close attention, so you could be right.

Hey, I could be wrong. It's just that I've been in, and witnessed, plenty of negotiations in my lifetime, and anytime I see a "one-time only" deal thrown out there, it usually lingers out there a lot longer than it was originally intended. We'll wait an see.

Remember, the NHL also said that they were never interested in a non-linkage situation before their offer came out, and yet, there it was.

Jaysfanatic*

bcrt2000 said:
www.tsn.ca:

Reprentatives of both NHL owners and players have not given up hope of salvaging the NHL season and many are confident games will be played this spring, TSN has learned.

According to sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity, several NHL owners have been in contact with agents and players in hope of getting a deal done.

"We can't let this thing die when we're so close," said one team executive. "We've come this far, it would be insane to lose the season over a relatively small gap."

So......TSN finally gets in on this.....well, that's it, we're screwed.

HockeyShack

Feb 18, 2005
I don't get why the thread was deleted? Shouldn't it have been locked and a message from a mod saying verification needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad