Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | You Need to Fire Kenny, You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You asked. If you didn’t want one, you shouldn’t have asked.

32B8253D-9818-4585-8310-A8C7CC739CB4.gif

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think we’ve lacked great coaching for such a long time that it’s forgotten what it even looks like. Tippett ain’t it, man. We’ll just agree to disagree.

McLellan and Eakins survived the Oiler blender for second chances. Hitchcock. Pat Quinn. This team went through coaching like poop through a goose. Lack of stability was essentially called out by their elite players. The players are dialled into Tippett with no sign of a Travis Green chute pulling to be seen. Had this team wanted its head coach to be gone or felt he was responsible for the collective poor on-ice play of its personnel, Tippett would likely be gone. Trotz is an example where organizations didn't panic and throw the Trotz baby out with the wash, he got long tenures, and finally, finally broke through to win after endless chances with likely the best goalscorer in NHL history.

If Trotz can go from perceived loser to winner and back to loser, I'm inclined to look at the personnel and wonder what is/was missing. Oilers clearly lack average or above NHL goaltending. Depth past two elites is getting better and might breakthrough if Kane and Holloway can join them upfront. But again, no team and no coach goes unscathed losing its top net minder for essentially the whole season. And if you're backup is Koskinen, well we know how that plays out.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Did I say he built the team? I had said it was reported by media that he had a significant voice in the room for who to bring in this offseason. How do you know hes not consulted despite the reporting? Do you know Mcdavid personally? Source in the GM office?

If you just think its just complete coincidence that pretty much everyone who trained w/ Mcdavid this offseason was either extended, signed or traded for then I dont know what to tell you.

And again, before Im straw-manned, Im not saying it his fault the roster is built like this. Its 100% on the GM to build the roster. I actually think its a good thing to consult your best player when making moves, but its up to the GM to decide on what to do w/ that information.

But it wasn’t reported by media that he had significant say who to bring in. That’s your extrapolation of what was actually reported. What was reported was that the Leadership group was consulted on whether or not to bring Keith in. No where was it reported that McDavid has significant say. GM wants to bring in a significant piece, he consults leadership group. Many teams work this way.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
You asked. If you didn’t want one, you shouldn’t have asked.
I don't see any links to the widely known physics in that article by an acoustics firm. Must purely be a blog, I think we will need you to provide a link to back up the science behind how a falling tree would make a sound mechanically. Hopefully from a peer reviewed paper so we know it is replicable.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I don't see any links to the widely known physics in that article by an acoustics firm. Must purely be a blog, I think we will need you to provide a link to back up the science behind how a falling tree would make a sound mechanically. Hopefully from a peer reviewed paper so we know it is replicable.

Would you like to send you an article on how vibrations cause “sound”. Whether you arguing about sound in the philosophical sense- fact is, vibrations cause sound- maybe not for you- but there is sound.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

Do you have someone to help you with the big words?

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Now only Bettman can stop Kane to Edmonton!

... and he probably will :(

Thing is, from the time the Sharks cut him loose, he's already missed a handful of games, thus it's basically acted like a suspension since those lost games = lost prorated salary over whatever contract he signs now.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
While I don't think Tippett is the man for the job anymore, I think he gets way too much shit thrown at him for the two covid playoffs. I know I've said it a ton but I really think people refuse to acknowledge how f***ed up the first covid cup was. To have four months off, which is longer than a normal off season, then have to jump into a playoff intensity, shortened, best of five series is a really f***ed up ask for any team no matter the roster. There were upsets all over the place. But regardless of that the team, under Tippett, went from a non playoff team to 2nd in their division at the time of the stoppage with some of the best special teams we'd ever seen. That carried right over into the next season too. All the while the glaring roster holes we're all screaming about today were present then, and were covered up by Mike Smith playing out of his mind. I think it's fair to be upset at the sweep by the Jets, and I think it's fair to question a lot of his decisions today, but I really do think people are completely blinded by their supreme dislike of the man that it prevents them from acknowledging that up until the slide this year the team was definitely coming around despite having the same glaring roster issues that have plagued it for years, and that's on the GM not the coach. But don't get it twisted, I do agree that we'd be better off if we replaced both at this point.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
McLellan and Eakins survived the Oiler blender for second chances. Hitchcock. Pat Quinn. This team went through coaching like poop through a goose. Lack of stability was essentially called out by their elite players. The players are dialled into Tippett with no sign of a Travis Green chute pulling to be seen. Had this team wanted its head coach to be gone or felt he was responsible for the collective poor on-ice play of its personnel, Tippett would likely be gone. Trotz is an example where organizations didn't panic and throw the Trotz baby out with the wash, he got long tenures, and finally, finally broke through to win after endless chances with likely the best goalscorer in NHL history.

If Trotz can go from perceived loser to winner and back to loser, I'm inclined to look at the personnel and wonder what is/was missing. Oilers clearly lack average or above NHL goaltending. Depth past two elites is getting better and might breakthrough if Kane and Holloway can join them upfront. But again, no team and no coach goes unscathed losing its top net minder for essentially the whole season. And if you're backup is Koskinen, well we know how that plays out.
I’d argue they did pull the chute on Tippett; Holland was and still is just too stubborn and hesitant to make the required change there.

The problem with the Oilers continually going through coaches is that now it scares you from making an actual needed coaching change. Failures of the past should not deter you from making a needed change.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Do you have someone to help you with the big words?

Your call on what you want to believe, doesn't matter either way to me. It’s not worth a protracted scrap and pissing contest.

We are after all, all cheering for the Oilers. We have enough anguish in our lives with that.

:nod:

Cheers.

Reactions: foshizzle

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
It's good that the Flames are doing well in the regular season. We know that they ain't gonna do shit in the playoffs.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I’d argue they did pull the chute on Tippett; Holland was and still is just too stubborn and hesitant to make the required change there.

The problem with the Oilers continually going through coaches is that now it scares you from making an actual needed coaching change. Failures of the past should not deter you from making a needed change.

I definitely don't think this team or its leadership group specifically have quit on Tippett. They rightfully point the accountability finger at the team's personnel/aka themselves for the situation they are in. Conversely in Vancouver, it was outright mutiny with in-fighting (Horvat and Miller) and outright rebellion when Miller loudly questioned one of the practise drills being done.

We don't see those cracks in Edmonton. Team pushes hard, gets down and chase games, their structure and process breaks down to lose and often lose badly. But the will wasn't been broken. No one's been thrown under the bus despite horrendous goaltending through the sustained losing streak.

Holland is not Chiarelli who panicked into franchise setting bad trades and the rather quickly pulled the pin on his head coach who had within his tenure taken this sad sack franchise into second round of the playoffs.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I definitely don't think this team or its leadership group specifically have quit on Tippett. They rightfully point the accountability finger at the team's personnel/aka themselves for the situation they are in. Conversely in Vancouver, it was outright mutiny with in-fighting (Horvat and Miller) and outright rebellion when Miller loudly questioned one of the practise drills being done.

We don't see those cracks in Edmonton. Team pushes hard, gets down and chase games, their structure and process breaks down to lose and often lose badly. But the will wasn't been broken. No one's been thrown under the bus despite horrendous goaltending through the sustained losing streak.

Holland is not Chiarelli who panicked into franchise setting bad trades and the rather quickly pulled the pin on his head coach who had within his tenure taken this sad sack franchise into second round of the playoffs.
Koskinen is the only one who has been thrown under the bus, and it was the head coach who did it. That's tough to come back from.

It's really sad too cause no matter what you think of Koskinen, his play, and his contract, the fact that he has been forced into a role he isn't built for while being paid more than he should isn't on him at all. It's just more of the same managerial incompetence we've all become accustomed to that sees players as the bad guys instead of the men at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad