Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | You Need to Fire Kenny, You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Koskinen is the only one who has been thrown under the bus, and it was the head coach who did it. That's tough to come back from

That was so overdone. We have no context for the day to day relationship between the coach and the player. A bad soundbite that had truth in it. Koskinen has come back fine. Just won two big games for this team and coach. Unfortunately the hard reality is goaltending is a massive problem with Smith going down and Koskinen who's maybe a below average back-up has to carry the mail.

How the players respond to stuff like this is all that matters. Everyone in that room dusted it off and moved on to the task at hand of winning the next game(s). Ex-pros like Strudwick and others brushed it off as a minor blip. That's the context I look for, not exploitative media looking for clickbait or a white hot fanbase looking for blood.

These are pro athletes at the elite of their profession. They have all survived substantive criticism and adversity to get to that level.

Reactions: TB12

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I definitely don't think this team or its leadership group specifically have quit on Tippett. They rightfully point the accountability finger at the team's personnel/aka themselves for the situation they are in. Conversely in Vancouver, it was outright mutiny with in-fighting (Horvat and Miller) and outright rebellion when Miller loudly questioned one of the practise drills being done.

We don't see those cracks in Edmonton. Team pushes hard, gets down and chase games, their structure and process breaks down to lose and often lose badly. But the will wasn't been broken. No one's been thrown under the bus despite horrendous goaltending through the sustained losing streak.

Holland is not Chiarelli who panicked into franchise setting bad trades and the rather quickly pulled the pin on his head coach who had within his tenure taken this sad sack franchise into second round of the playoffs.
If JT Miller was a Oiler, he may very well have done the same with Tippett already.

Like I said, failures of the past should not deter needed moves now, even if they seem similar in nature. It’s not all or nothing, there are degrees of change in between Chia’s extremity and not doing anything like Holland is right now.

Reactions: GOilers88

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just need to keep a certain finger taped down :sarcasm:

8977EE16-883E-42DD-BE0E-E11AEB0D737E.gif

Reactions: Cloned

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Your call on what you want to believe, doesn't matter either way to me. It’s not worth a protracted scrap and pissing contest.

We are after all, all cheering for the Oilers. We have enough anguish in our lives with that.

:nod:

Cheers.

I’m in full agreement with you there. We can aim our hostilities and Ken Holland and Dave Tippett

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
That was so overdone. We have no context for the day to day relationship between the coach and the player. A bad soundbite that had truth in it. Koskinen has come back fine. Just won two big games for this team and coach. Unfortunately the hard reality is goaltending is a massive problem with Smith going down and Koskinen who's maybe a below average back-up has to carry the mail.

How the players respond to stuff like this is all that matters. Everyone in that room dusted it off and moved on to the task at hand of winning the next game(s). Ex-pros like Strudwick and others brushed it off as a minor blip. That's the context I look for, not exploitative media looking for clickbait or a white hot fanbase looking for blood.
I don't disagree with you. But I also have no doubt in my mind that we're always a single Koski goal away from everyone, including media, re-igniting their torches. The only way Koskinen ever gets redemption is if he backstops them to a deep playoff run. I'm as optimistic as anyone, but even I don't see that happening. I feel like the damage has long been done and he's just a bandaid that's hanging on before it gets ripped off. He will always be the first thought on everyone's mind when the team loses a game with him in net, fair or not. The proverbial elephant.

That's a bad situation to have.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
If JT Miller was a Oiler, he may very well have done the same with Tippett already.

Like I said, failures of the past should not deter needed moves now, even if they seem similar in nature. It’s not all or nothing, there are degrees of change in between Chia’s extremity and not doing anything like Holland is right now.

He'd have to go through a leadership group of Nurse, McDavid, Draisaitl and Keith to act like an entitled moron. What we saw when the Oil needed leadership during the darkest times was McDavid and Nurse going head to head in heavy battle drills. They are cut from a different cloth than Miller. The maturing leadership group is a big part of what Tippett has nurtured. Holland watering it too with bringing in Keith to help with credibility of a steeled winner.

Reactions: TB12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad