Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Time to Cut Bait on the Dead Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I don't really see the fit with Kubalik. $4M for a guy who has scored half his points on the PP. He'd get zero PP minutes here.

I don't buy the McDavid needs a shooter/skill winger thing either. He's always looked much better with guys who will muck along the boards and grind it out.
I think it would be more for Drai to have a shooter. Yamo just doesn't get anything done production wise.

Edit: Just saw your previous response, didn't mean to repeat.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
McDavid has his wingers already if Tippett doesn’t galaxy brain the situation (Foegele and Pulju). Draisaitl doesn’t.

The acquisition would be for a Drai winger. Kubalik had success with good Toews, a centre they don’t really have anymore. He could be back to scoring 30 on Draisaitl’s wing

I don’t have faith in Dave to stand pat

upload_2021-12-28_16-12-19.jpeg

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I expect:

Kassian (retained) + Lavoie + Koskinen + 1st for Fleury (retained) + Kubalik

Niemaleinen + 2nd for Chiarot (retained)

Foegele - McDavid - Pulju
Hyman - Drai - Kubalik
RNH - McLeod - Yamamoto
Perlini - Ryan - Sceviour

Nurse - Bouchard
Chiarot - Barrie
Keith - Ceci

Fleury
Smith

I'm glad Holland is looking around for coaches, but IMO Babcock is the wrong guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: McJesusSaves97

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I expect:

Hyman - Drai - Kubalik
RNH - McLeod - Yamamoto

Nurse - Bouchard
Chiarot - Barrie
Keith - Ceci

Fleury
Smith

I'm glad Holland is looking around for coaches, but IMO Babcock is the wrong guy.

Who said Holland was looking for a new coach? Never heard this before.

Reactions: TB12

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They need wingers that can score goals, and they have a surplus of puck movers. Barrie is the logical one to move on from with Bouchard looking like a top 4D this year and likely to be a consistent top pairing D as early as next season.

Kubalik can play both sides, which is something they seem to be targeting with winger acquisitions (Hyman, Foegele). If they are able to retain Yams at a reasonable price or if he departs, obtain another 3rd line player in addition to Holloway coming in by next season. They will have legitimate top 9 depth for the first time since 05-06.
They need a third line that can consistently outscore its competition or at the very least not be a pincushion for the rest of the league when they're out there.

Wingers are what this team will be getting in spades year after year through their farm system, so spending their best trade chips to acquire one in his late 20s is what would qualify as 'frivolous '.

Look at Kubalik with an open mind and you'll see a player that is regressing to the mean. He's always been a limited player. Teams are wise to his game and it's probably pretty likely you'll never see him hit 30 again.

Why is this the player worth pursuing while Barrie, the consistently better producer, the player the team needs to part with? I'm not even saying that Barrie needs to be retained, it's just a really odd trade-off when you're suggesting that Kubalik is worth the cost of acquisition on top of the cost of his extension.

Fact of the matter is that the Oilers probably shouldn't be looking for many more 30 goal guys. They can't afford them in the future. They're much better off having half a dozen or so guys scoring 8-15 throughout a full season without being a total liability.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They need a third line that can consistently outscore its competition or at the very least not be a pincushion for the rest of the league when they're out there.

Wingers are what this team will be getting in spades year after year through their farm system, so spending their best trade chips to acquire one in his late 20s is what would qualify as 'frivolous '.

Look at Kubalik with an open mind and you'll see a player that is regressing to the mean. He's always been a limited player. Teams are wise to his game and it's probably pretty likely you'll never see him hit 30 again.

Why is this the player worth pursuing while Barrie, the consistently better producer, the player the team needs to part with? I'm not even saying that Barrie needs to be retained, it's just a really odd trade-off when you're suggesting that Kubalik is worth the cost of acquisition on top of the cost of his extension.

Fact of the matter is that the Oilers probably shouldn't be looking for many more 30 goal guys. They can afford them in the future. They're much better off having half a dozen or so guys scoring 8-15 thoroughout a full season without being a total liability.

The bottom 6 looks OK when they're not tied to Tippett ... they spent a lot of money on players like Foegele and Kassian, it's not even like we have a cheap bottom 6.

Tippett just gets nothing out of the group he has so what gauruntee is there that spending another $2-3+ million on another bottom 6 player goes any differently?

This is a coaching problem IMO.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I don't really see the fit with Drai either.

That line is struggling because it has two wingers that can't score at 5v5 and fall over if they even get close to the boards or contact. Kubalik is more of the same of that.

The stats suggest that Kubalik is quite a good 5v5 goalscorer, though he does get many of his assists on the PP.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I expect:

Hyman - Drai - Kubalik
RNH - McLeod - Yamamoto

Nurse - Bouchard
Chiarot - Barrie
Keith - Ceci

Fleury
Smith

Curious who you think the right guy is?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Fact of the matter is that the Oilers probably shouldn't be looking for many more 30 goal guys. They can afford them in the future. They're much better off having half a dozen or so guys scoring 8-15 thoroughout a full season without being a total liability.

Id be happy with a bottom six that just comes out even every game. The problem is that they’re negative 2/3 each game and then we hope that the top 6 and PP can outscore the problem the bottom six caused.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Impact players would be nice, but their cap is getting to a point where if you add one that's signed beyond this season, you're probably going to have to lose one too.
Depends if you can shed money in other ways (Kassian, Barrie). Also, I’d argue we still need a starting goalie and that’s probably the most impactful position in the game.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What 20+ overall pick have the Oilers made that would be considered better than Kubalik and MAF?

You'd have to go back to when most people didn't have smartphones. If you mean both combined ... lol not since the 80s.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Unless I'm missing some I think

Eberle
Stoll
Horcoff
Pisani
Comrie

Are the only players the Oilers have drafted outside of the top 20 that really had a big impact on the team ... in 20 some odd years?

Our drafting has been atrocious. You'd likely have been better off just trading all of those picks for more proven NHL players.

Reactions: Homesick

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What 20+ overall pick have the Oilers made that would be considered better than Kubalik and MAF?
Eberle and Klefbom are guys that fall into that range in recent years. Bourgault is still several years away from hitting his stride.

When a guy like Brad Lambert is possibly falling in the rankings and names like Bryce McConnell-Barker and Ty Nelson are potentially on the board in that range, it's pretty clear that there's quite a bit of depth in the next draft.

Throwing that pick out there for two pieces with a very short expiration date that probably don't end up putting them in the contender conversation is frivolous. It'd be instantly regrettable unless the team suddenly starts clicking in areas that aren't being addressed by that trade.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Fact of the matter is that the Oilers probably shouldn't be looking for many more 30 goal guys. They can't afford them in the future. They're much better off having half a dozen or so guys scoring 8-15 throughout a full season without being a total liability.

I agree with @Soundwave that coaching is the bigger issue with the bottom 6 than personnel. Don’t think it’s a coincidence that the bottom 6 players looked better at the beginning of the season and with Tippett out, both instances where they were getting more appropriate minutes and looked more effective and confident.

But a coaching change isn’t going to happen in season, a trade likely will. I’d rather they spend assets on a productive top 9 player than use similar assets on a proven 3C for Tippett to play less than 8 minutes a night

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Eberle and Klefbom are guys that fall into that range in recent years. Bourgault is still several years away from hitting his stride.

When a guy like Brad Lambert is possibly falling in the rankings and names like Bryce McConnell-Barker and Ty Nelson are potentially on the board in that range, it's pretty clear that there's quite a bit of depth in the next draft.

Throwing that pick out there for two pieces with a very short expiration date that probably don't end up putting them in the contender conversation is frivolous. It'd be instantly regrettable unless the team suddenly starts clicking in areas that aren't being addressed by that trade.
I'm done with waiting for the next draft pick to save this team. You think Lightening are regretting trading 4 of their last 5 first round picks? I'm sure PIT/CHI/LA traded a few picks as well.
It might not be the best team to bet on, but it will be the Oilers best chance for many years

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm done with waiting for the next draft pick to save this team. You think Lightening are regretting trading 4 of their last 5 first round picks? I'm sure PIT/CHI/LA traded a few picks as well.
It might not be the best team to bet on, but it will be the Oilers best chance for many years

Before Pittsburgh won their back to back, I remember they got criticized hard for the kessel deal because they kept trading 1sts and prospects. Sure, you get some misses (Barzal pick for one round of Perron) but you have to take those shots.

Kings traded a 1st, 2nd, Schenn, Simmonds and Tuebert for Richards and Penner.

People might laugh that the first became Klefbom. Or that Schenn and Simmonds had great careers.

Kings and Pens won cups.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Before Pittsburgh won their back to back, I remember they got criticized hard for the kessel deal because they kept trading 1sts and prospects. Sure, you get some misses (Barzal pick for one round of Perron) but you have to take those shots.

People might laugh that the first became Klefbom. Or that Schenn and Simmonds had great careers.

Kings and Pens won cups.
I'd trade Klefbom for two Cups... LOL

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I expect:

Hyman - Drai - Kubalik
RNH - McLeod - Yamamoto

Nurse - Bouchard
Chiarot - Barrie
Keith - Ceci

Fleury
Smith

Link?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure why this is always the response when it comes to making the pick. Keeping draft picks ultimately improves your team's prospect system. It gives them more to work with in their development system. They have more trade capital to work with when the team is actually in a position to contend.

And when those assets do get moved, it doesn't completely decimate the team's farm system.

Kings and Pens won cups.
The Kings and Pens were well-built teams from the ground up. At no point were they almost entirely reliant on their top two players producing at a generational rates individually to score their teams out of the holes the rest of their lineups dug themselves.

Unless they're getting a center that can turn the third line into an immediate outscoring line or they get a defenseman who can completely dominate a game when they're out there, a single trade is not going to push this team over the top.

It's far more likely if you go and get a player like Kubalik the trade plays out just like the Athanasiou one did. He doesn't address any of the areas where the team is clearly struggling. And financially his QO isn't one the team can easily fit into their future payroll structure. His arbitration hearing would also be of concern if he does end up producing here over a short stretch.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Unless I'm missing some I think

Eberle
Stoll
Horcoff
Pisani
Comrie

Are the only players the Oilers have drafted outside of the top 20 that really had a big impact on the team ... in 20 some odd years?

Our drafting has been atrocious. You'd likely have been better off just trading all of those picks for more proven NHL players.

Hemsky? Greene?

I mean, Dubnyk, Petry, Marino, Pitlick (though injuries), Bear turned into good players, was just the organization that f'ed up with them, not the amateur scouting.

Overall not good enough though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad