Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hmmm so our pro scouting continues to drop like flies. More proof that it was pretty bad. I hope this is Holland reviewing past Messier picks and reports and comparing it to his analytics and cleaning house.
Find it somewhat interesting that Marks Brother was fired the day after Lowe stepped down. Still wonder If Lowe had a bit of pull around the org. Now it seems like all such hanger ons are being shown the door. Hopefully Nicholson falls.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Something probably has to give this week.

One of Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Foegele, or Barrie are not going to be back and we'll know who very soon.
This is just me but I think it unlikely that a player you signed is going to be moved in favor of one you haven't been able to sign. Yama arbitration just a couple working days away.

I don't have to state this but if the team moved Pulju, and then found the arbitration award for Yama unsatisfactory then you end up not having both players.

Isn't a bird in bush scenario at this point?

Reactions: McBooya42

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Find it somewhat interesting that Marks Brother was fired the day after Lowe stepped down. Still wonder If Lowe had a bit of pull around the org. Now it seems like all such hanger ons are being shown the door. Hopefully Nicholson falls.

It’s an interesting thought. Whatever it is, it’s certain it was the right move considering our pro pick ups of the last 5 years. If Messier had input on any of them it’s almost a guarantee that he didn’t hit on anyone!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is just me but I think it unlikely that a player you signed is going to be moved in favor of one you haven't been able to sign. Yama arbitration just a couple working days away.

I don't have to state this but if the team moved Pulju, and then found the arbitration award for Yama unsatisfactory then you end up not having both players.

You're probably correct unless Yamamoto signs in the next couple of days and maybe signs for 2 years or something instead of 1 like Puljujarvi (though granted the Oilers may even prefer just a 1 year deal because cap flexibility may be needed for next summer).

It's beginning to look probable that Yamamoto has played his last game in an Oilers uni.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Something probably has to give this week.

One of Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Foegele, or Barrie are not going to be back and we'll know who very soon.

Yup. A significant trade needs to happen. It’ll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Hoping for Foegele out personally, I can’t see Holloway not replacing his production. Seems the most logical move.

You might well be able to squeeze in 21 but you will still end up short possibly on multiple occasions.
Either way it’s close enough that some minor tinkering should get it done no?

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Imagine getting paid $5M annually to make it past the second round once with the two best players in the world and then getting white knighted for it. Odd.
No ones White Knighting him.
Just kinda comical that the ones who have been constantly criticizing him don't have the nuts to acknowledge when they were wrong, but instead go on with the tired old tropes. I guess its the human condition.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It’s an interesting thought. Whatever it is, it’s certain it was the right move considering our pro pick ups of the last 5 years. If Messier had input on any of them it’s almost a guarantee that he didn’t hit on anyone!
Not to make too much of a point of it but none of the Mark Messier siblings have really been up to much independently. Mark set his sister up with a couple of businesses that failed and has employed his older brother in different endeavors including managing a small Bahamas hotel. Wouldn't probably have to dig too deep to see that Mark probably got his older bro the Oilers scouting gig as well. That occurring while Buddy Lowe was still in a role here beyond sharpening pencils. Soon as Lowe is out Paul Messier is out. Hard not to see it.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Barrsy

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not to make too much of a point of it but none of the Mark Messier siblings have really been up to much independently. Mark set his sister up with a couple of businesses that failed and has employed his older brother in different endeavors including managing a small Bahamas hotel. Wouldn't probably have to dig too deep to see that Mark probably got his older bro the Oilers scouting gig as well. That occurring while Buddy Lowe was still in a role here beyond sharpening pencils. Soon as Lowe is out Paul Messier is out. Hard not to see it.
Interesting. Well Mark is a good bro lol. Next up Paul Messier the ESPN on air talent assistant

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The day that Brad Holland was named to AGM he was on Stauffer and I remember him saying that Brad and Chris Chichocki were the only two pro scouts on staff. He must have been released earlier. I had posted while listening to the show. Either way gone today or gone a month ago it was still too long a stop here on his CV.

Post in thread 'Rumors and Proposals Thread: "The Final Countdown"'
Rumor: - Rumors and Proposals Thread: "The Final Countdown"

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I mean, lol yeah, it's fairly obvious Mark's brother likely was employed by Kevin Lowe. They probably are friends too.

Interestingly, Keith Gretzky was not at the Oilers draft table unless I missed it. I wonder what's up with that.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

You make a good point but I have to think Holland knows what hes going to sign Yamamoto for or at least what it will take to sign him.

I am sure he has a bunch of balls up in the air (mainly Foegele, Yamamoto and JP). He may even have some others that we are unaware of.

Hopefully hes assessing all situations. I cant personally see him moving Yamamoto but if hes the guy thats only returning an asset that hes comfortable with, you never know. I could see it almost play out like a Bjorkstrom scenerio. I am sure Jarmo didnt want to move him but moving anyone else would of cost him a bunch of assets. Considering how dead locked everything is right now, its probably safe to assume that Foegele is going to cost an asset to move him. (Even though I dont think hes really a negative asset - the market is just seized up).

I am a bit surprised on how slow all of this has dragged out though. Its honestly not a good situation for the team. (There are lots of other teams in the same boat as us - some of them much worse). Who knows what will happen or who moves though. Should find out soon enough. Least we will have something to talk about actually.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
No ones White Knighting him.
Just kinda comical that the ones who have been constantly criticizing him don't have the nuts to acknowledge when they were wrong, but instead go on with the tired old tropes. I guess its the human condition.

So is the inverse true- have you ever acknowledged Holland has made mistakes?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I mean, lol yeah, it's fairly obvious Mark's brother likely was employed by Kevin Lowe. They probably are friends too.

Interestingly, Keith Gretzky was not at the Oilers draft table unless I missed it. I wonder what's up with that.

Keith Gretzky is kind of weird.

I feel like we heard a lot about him when Holland first got the job and slowly its just kind of dissipated. Feels like hes almost been assigned to Bakersfield. I am probably talking about my ass, but dont most AGM's spend more time up with the actual club? rather than the AHL team? When one AGM is assigned to the AHL (usually a younger AGM), doesnt the team usually have 2 AGM's?

I never noticed him not at the draft but thats kind of weird. Could of been an emergency or personal thing, so who knows. interesting note though.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
There better not be some bullshit internal politics and shenanigans going on with Oilers upper management. We need everyone pulling in the same direction not some power struggle/grab. The fact that pro scouting is so sparse is already a black mark against Holland IMO

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The day that Brad Holland was named to AGM he was on Stauffer and I remember him saying that Brad and Chris Chichocki were the only two pro scouts on staff. He must have been released earlier. I had posted while listening to the show. Either way gone today or gone a month ago it was still too long a stop here on his CV.

Maybe they are finally cleaning up their pro scouting staff. I think its been better the last year or so (considering it was terrible before), but maybe thats just more because of Brad. Either way, its nice to purge some of these guys who have been here for a long time with poor results. I'd really like to see the organization spend more on pro, amateur and analytics. I think its been pretty lackluster for awhile.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Paul Messier before being hired on as an "Oilers scout" had a string of useless jobs. Manager at Marks sleepy Bahama hotel investment. Even was a coach one year on a roller hockey club that Mark owned. Really all his noted jobs as an adult since his hockey career were younger brother just giving him jobs. The Oilers scouting gig probably the most he ever made and the longest term position. Paul had a hard time finding any traction. So did Mary Kay. In Pauls case he wasn't ever going to be much for the NHL at the time as he was a much more slight 160lbs. Facially he looks so much like Mark its uncanny. But the resemblance ended there.

Mark was a great guy to family of origin. He also set up his parents with a nice house and looked after them. I

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Here’s what I’m thinking:

To Edmonton:
Chychrun (4.6)

To Arizona:
Barrie (4.5)
Foegele (2.75)
Ryan (1.25)
Koekkoek (925K)
1st
Broberg
Bourgault

- Holloway replaces Foegele
- Sign Kessel @ 1.5M. Derek Ryan doesn’t make sense on the RW. 3rd line is: Holloway-Nuge-Kessel
- Sign Subban @ 1.5M to replace Barrie

Kane-McD-Pool
Hyman-Drai-Yams
Holloway-Nuge-Kessel
Janmark-Mcleod-Shore

Nurse-Bouchard
Chychrun-Ceci
Kulak-Subban
Little to rich for me. Taxes are killing me enough. This trade would put me over. I would like Chychrun but not at that cost

Why do you hate banjo-pickers?
I’m gonna make u squeal like a pig boy
Didn’t actually see the movie until @2-3 years ago. Pretty fuked up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad