Speculation: Rumors and Proposals Thread II | Gryba on a PTO & Contract Discussions with Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
What kind of trade?

He's not really good enough to displace anyone that has any kind of value currently.

Pouliot. He should have enough value, especially if we eat some $ or add in a pick to get us a return on a mid level dman

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I think Versteeg's performance at camp will have an impact on a trade

Puljujarvi and Caggiula too.

I think Chia wants to get a good look at all the pieces he has assembled up front before he decides who he can afford to trade for a defenseman.

There is really a wide range of different scenarios that could unfold. I bet we see a trade between preseason and the home opener.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Pouliot is awesome when his is ON.. I can easily see him bumpin Lucic down to 2nd line for stretches.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No kidding.

How many teams can add two top four defensemen in an off-season without completely handcuffing their franchise in terms of salary or organizational depth? The Larsson move was a necessary move but it shook the roster from its foundation. We don't have the assets to acquire the calibre of defenseman some are expecting us to acquire.

Let's see how things unfold first and see the kind of players that become available as the expansion draft gets closer.

The Islanders added two top 4 d-men and it cost them one decent prospect and a handful of picks. That was 2 summers ago.

This summer Florida added two top 4 d-men, it cost their organization a 4th/6th round pick and less than 11 million in cap space.

There's two in the past 3 off-seasons.

It's not that we don't have have the assets to get it done. It's that we don't have the GM to get it done. At least he's demonstrated so far he isn't capable. Hopefully that changes before the season starts.

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada
The Islanders added two top 4 d-men and it cost them one decent prospect and a handful of picks. That was 2 summers ago.

This summer Florida added two top 4 d-men, it cost their organization a 4th/6th round pick and less than 11 million in cap space.

It's not that we don't have have the assets to get it done. It's that we don't have the GM to get it done. At least he's demonstrated so far he isn't capable. Hopefully that changes before the season starts.

Their are more of those trades coming... Just a matter of time

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park

I would have thought that with the Hall trade Chia has demonstrated if nothing else that he's capable of making moves, even very difficult ones. This sounds more like you have no faith in him doing it and that's a different thing.

As we all know it takes more than just the need and desire to make a trade for it to happen. You need the willingness of a partner to trade with that has the assets that you want. It's possible that Chia is happy with how our D is set up now but I suspect he's not, and will look for other trades if they present themselves, but I highly doubt we'll see him trade any major assets to get the the pieces we need. The moves that are left, in my opinion, are minor ones.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Chia could have signed Demers and called it a day but he seems to be looking for the perfect fit for a cup run and doesnt want to commit to ordinary.

If SJ stumbles and is out of the race by deadline I can see Chia going hard after Burns.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Chia could have signed Demers and called it a day but he seems to be looking for the perfect fit for a cup run and doesnt want to commit to ordinary.

If SJ stumbles and is out of the race by deadline I can see Chia going hard after Burns.

So the plan is for San Jose to a) be out of the race by the trade deadline b) not want to re-sign their Norris nominated dman c) have them willing to trade him to a division rival d) have the oilers in a position in the standings to be going after a rental and finally e) have burns willing to not only be willing to be traded here, but forgo all other teams and resign here? Oh and have the oilers outbid every other team in the league that will be trying to get him.

perfect fit for a cup run? The oilers need help getting out of the basement first.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So the plan is for San Jose to a) be out of the race by the trade deadline b) not want to re-sign their Norris nominated dman c) have them willing to trade him to a division rival d) have the oilers in a position in the standings to be going after a rental and finally e) have burns willing to not only be willing to be traded here, but forgo all other teams and resign here? Oh and have the oilers outbid every other team in the league that will be trying to get him.

perfect fit for a cup run? The oilers need help getting out of the basement first.

Or the plan could be to get a game breaker player like Burns and really make the team a legit playoffs contender instead of a tweener. SJ wouldnt care if a pending UFA Burns goes to a division rival.. sure it might cost us extra but whatever. Sharks would look for the best possible return if they know they arent going anywhere this season and Burns is out of their price point (eg. 8yrs x 8.8M)

If its not Burns it should be someone a lot better than Demers unless its a short term deal... Im still liking the Chara-Sekera option and am pretty sure Sekera would love it too. Too bad BOS has a beef with Chia.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
This summers market for defense was as toxic as I've ever seen it. Lots of teams dealing from a position or strength with no compelling reason to force a move.

Next summer, teams will have to make difficult decisions based on who they can and can not protect in the expansion draft. I expect there will be a flurry of trades as teams attempt to get value on players they can not protect, rather than lose them to Las Vegas. Teams who have the room to protect another player or have quality draft-exempt trade chips like Darnell Nurse, will benefit from that.

Until then, I think a stop-gap is the answer. Maybe some type of midseason trade for a Franson-type.

Last edited:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

Burns is the perfect capstone to the rebuild. The Great White Buffalo so to speak.

I believe he has a strict no trade clause though- a 2 team list if I'm not mistaken.

Not signing an extension yet gives me hope, but it's that Brent Seabrook kind of hope I felt last year at this time.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Burns is the perfect capstone to the rebuild. The Great White Buffalo so to speak.

I believe he has a strict no trade clause though- a 2 team list if I'm not mistaken.

Not signing an extension yet gives me hope, but it's that Brent Seabrook kind of hope I felt last year at this time.

I totally agree about him capping the rebuild, but I refuse to seriously consider it because I just don't see it happening. Byfuglien stayed in Winnipeg. Burns will stay in San Jose.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Only 11 million? Until only 2021?

And how about that Johnny Boychuk contract?

You do realize that Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Darnell Nurse and Jesse Puljujarvi are going to cost money in three years, right?

Any Jacob Trouba-level trade idea is a fantasy. We don't have the tradeable assets or the cap space to complete such a move.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Comparing trade markets from different years is a terrible way to evaluate an offseason. Find me a list of top four defensemen this summer who were traded for draft picks(hint: there are none). And in order for Florida to have the cap space to acquire those free agents, they had to part with a top end prospect to dump the cap of a high end free agent signing from just a few years ago. I'd rather not have to be giving up a player of that caliber a few years down the road just to shed salary so we can keep McDavid, Drai ect around.

Chia is making smart moves, not panicked signings that will bite the team in the ass in a few years.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Comparing trade markets from different years is a terrible way to evaluate an offseason. Find me a list of top four defensemen this summer who were traded for draft picks(hint: there are none). And in order for Florida to have the cap space to acquire those free agents, they had to part with a top end prospect to dump the cap of a high end free agent signing from just a few years ago. I'd rather not have to be giving up a player of that caliber a few years down the road just to shed salary so we can keep McDavid, Drai ect around.

Chia is making smart moves, not panicked signings that will bite the team in the ass in a few years.

*cough* Milan Lucic *cough*

So much concern about paying good defensemen money from all of you. Where's was that concern when Lucic got his 7 year deal?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This summers market for defense was as toxic as I've ever seen it. Lots of teams dealing from a position or strength with no compelling reason to force a move.

Next summer, teams will have to make difficult decisions based on who they can and can not protect in the expansion draft. I expect there will be a flurry of trades as teams attempt to get value on players they can not protect, rather than lose them to Las Vegas. Teams who have the room to protect another player or have quality draft-exempt trade chips like Darnell Nurse, will benefit from that.

Until then, I think a stop-gap is the answer. Maybe some type of midseason trade for a Franson-type.

I'd be happy with a stop-gap so long as the player can adequately fill the spot. I don't care if it's a homerun move, I just want someone who can actually play. No trash 6/7 d-men who wouldn't be playing on 1/2 the teams in the league and no rookie d-men who don't belong in the big leagues.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
A PMD similar to Burns will be the final piece to making us long term contenders so I'm not surprised Chia is taking his time and just settling with a gap stop like Wiz for now. Probably a year from now we will get one. By then we will have the prospects pool and the pieces to make such a move without jeopardizing the future of the team

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A PMD similar to Burns will be the final piece to making us long term contenders so I'm not surprised Chia is taking his time and just settling with a gap stop like Wiz for now. Probably a year from now we will get one. By then we will have the prospects pool and the pieces to make such a move without jeopardizing the future of the team

Stop gap like Wiz? Last I saw he signed a PTO with Tampa. We don't have a stop gap or short term fix in place. It's all fine and dandy to say he's going to wait a year for that magical last piece, but in the meantime the Oilers have a season coming up and only 3 top 4 d-men.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Stop gap like Wiz? Last I saw he signed a PTO with Tampa. We don't have a stop gap or short term fix in place. It's all fine and dandy to say he's going to wait a year for that magical last piece, but in the meantime the Oilers have a season coming up and only 3 top 4 d-men.

We can still sign Wiz this season. Tampa won't have the cap space to sign Wiz. They still have to sign Kucherov.

As for a guy like Burns, we really don't have the pieces to acquire him without creating a massive hole on the team and prospect pool. Next year we will have a better idea of where we are in the standings and what we have in order to make a move for a Burns caliber Dman

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
We can still sign Wiz this season. Tampa won't have the cap space to sign Wiz. They still have to sign Kucherov.

As for a guy like Burns, we really don't have the pieces to acquire him without creating a massive hole on the team and prospect pool. Next year we will have a better idea of where we are in the standings and what we have in order to make a move for a Burns caliber Dman

If Tampa didn't think they could fit him in they wouldn't have invited him on a PTO and he wouldn't have agreed to one with them.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Tampa didn't think they could fit him in they wouldn't have invited him on a PTO and he wouldn't have agreed to one with them.

For competition. Doesn't mean they will sign him. Wiz is there to advertise himself to get a contract elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad