Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread| Help Me Katz, Help, Help Me Katz, Help Me Katz Yeah Get Bob Out of Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Fair but they also aren’t going to retain 5.25 mill a year for 4.5 years for nothing. Koskinen, Kassian and XB together have very little value. It’s 2 cap dumps + prospect. That’s worth maybe a 3c at best. 50% retention is going to require a bunch going back. It’s cost about a first for a team to eat a 5 mill contract for a year. We would be asking Montreal to be doing that for 4 years straight.
Bourgault is a top prospect from the Q. Koskinen is off the books in 4 months if Habs wanted so negligible pain. I don't see Kassian going to MTL because he's already been there so maybe Barrie instead.

Without retention MTL would be the ones giving up a prospect like XB to the taker instead of getting it.

Reactions: Proko88

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bourgault is a top prospect from the Q. Koskinen is off the books in 4 months if Habs wanted so negligible pain. I don't see Kassian going to MTL because he's already been there so maybe Barrie instead.

Without retention MTL would be the ones giving up a prospect like XB to the taker instead of getting it.
I’d say Koskinen, Kassian and XB is worth a late 2nd round pick as a package as Koskinen and Kassian have negative value.

Could you straight up trade a 2nd for Price at 50%. You really couldn’t.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
That the opinion of HF users on the mains is meaningless?
Gotcha, though I agree with your sentiment, what I meant with Give your head a shake is that I feel you are dismissing some tells from the majority of these opinions.
And dismissing them entirely would be foolhardy, because I don't believe the majority of mains would want the Oilers to get better (Evidence of past threads). So, why would the majority want us to sign a player that everyone knows is a distraction?

Edit: Doesn't matter in end, the responsibility ends up with the GM that signs him.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I’d say Koskinen, Kassian and XB is worth a late 2nd round pick as a package as Koskinen and Kassian have negative value.

Could you straight up trade a 2nd for Price at 50%. You really couldn’t.
Agree. Kassian would need to have a positive value for this to make sense..he may have it for multiple other clubs including the Oilers but not to Habs.

XB+Lavoie+Barrie+Koski
For
Price(50%)+Petry or Chiarot

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Just talking about trade value. Nurse is 27 in less than a month. Not many teams would be willing to fork over positive value if he hits the trading block at age 30/31 making thisuch money.

I doubt we're going to look to trade him anyway. Probably wouldn't have signed him for that much without thinking its fully long term for the career

Reactions: Mr Positive

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Agree. Kassian would need to have a positive value for this to make sense..he may have it for multiple other clubs including the Oilers but not to Habs.

XB+Lavoie+Barrie+Koski
For
Price(50%)+Petry or Chiarot
lol what. We ain’t getting either of them for that. Petry or Chiarot are worth a first on their own

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I doubt we're going to look to trade him anyway. Probably wouldn't have signed him for that much without thinking its fully long term for the career
Umm this is Holland we are talking about who admitted that he only cares about the next 3 seasons and giving term to Nuge/Hyman/Nurse etc is not a problem he is going to worry about.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
My guess what will happen?

Between rumors and various conversations on here and with other hockey fans Holland trades for Vlasic and Allen and keeps Tipp the rest of the year.

Flame away that's my prediction.

Vlasic?

That'd be hilarious, I hope that happens.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Barrie+Lavoie for Chiarot
Bourgault+Koski for Price
You have to pay a team to take bake Koskinen. That negative value + Bourgault isn’t worth price at 50% not even close. That’s asking Montreal to eat over 15 million in real dollars. Bourgault doesn’t have that kind of value. Remember it costs a first just to get teams to eat 5 mill. Bourgault is worth a mid first. Add a first and then it MIGHT be closer.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You have to pay a team to take bake Koskinen. That negative value + Bourgault isn’t worth price at 50% not even close. That’s asking Montreal to eat over 15 million in real dollars. Bourgault doesn’t have that kind of value. Remember it costs a first just to get teams to eat 5 mill. Bourgault is worth a mid first. Add a first and then it MIGHT be closer.
Prices contract has more negative value than anyone being discussed. Retention is just to get to the point he has any value at all.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Prices contract has more negative value than anyone being discussed. Retention is just to get to the point he has any value at all.
That’s not true at all. He is maybe 3 mill overpaid. Zero chance we are getting Price at 50% for only Bourgault. If that was the cost he would be an Oiler yesterday. Hell if that’s the cost 10 other teams would already have traded for him

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Umm this is Holland we are talking about who admitted that he only cares about the next 3 seasons and giving term to Nuge/Hyman/Nurse etc is not a problem he is going to worry about.

He's most likely gone before those 3 seasons

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Fair but they also aren’t going to retain 5.25 mill a year for 4.5 years for nothing. Koskinen, Kassian and XB together have very little value. It’s 2 cap dumps + prospect. That’s worth maybe a 3c at best. 50% retention is going to require a bunch going back. It’s cost about a first for a team to eat a 5 mill contract for a year. We would be asking Montreal to be doing that for 4 years straight.

I can see both sides on this. But for a rebuild/retool team the alternative is $47,250,000 versus $23,625,000. There is zero market for this player (Seattle declined him for no cost). It's Edmonton or maybe, doubtful, maybe Colorado burns more assets to upgrade a solid tender that cost them a first and prospect D.

This will be Carey Price's call with his contract and likely earned good will for a great career and ambassador in Montreal. I don't think the Oil give up XB maybe a secondary Francophone prospect like Lavoie (assuming Oil value XB more). Ultimately this shouldn't require an overpayment ... but we heard that with Holland and Keith deal.

EDIT: Oops I'm an idiot. Just looked at Price's contract structure. Real dollars are less but the cap hit is still a killer. :laugh::help::rolleyes:

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That’s not true at all. He is maybe 3 mill overpaid. Zero chance we are getting Price at 50% for only Bourgault. If that was the cost he would be an Oiler yesterday. Hell if that’s the cost 10 other teams would already have traded for him
Yeah I don’t think anyone is trading for a 10.5 mil goalie who is signed for 4 more years who is coming off a major surgery and just got out of rehab who also hasn’t played a game this year. Maybe if price comes back and finishes strong. Right now he’s a hugely expensive question mark.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

so Kane would strongly consider coming here, looks like

If the guy has any interest at all in rebooting his NHL career, the prospect of playing with McDavid or Drai has to be attractive.

I just hope if he does well for a couple months we wouldn't give him a 7 year contract, lol. We totally would, wouldn't we?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yeah I don’t think anyone is trading for a 10.5 mil goalie who is signed for 4 more years who is coming off a major surgery and just got out of rehab who also hasn’t played a game this year. Maybe if price comes back and finishes strong. Right now he’s a hugely expensive question mark.

I think from the players all the way up to management that they are thinking goaltending is the #1 issue with this team, by far. Right or wrong, I could totally see us going all in with a hail Mary for the goaltending position. Could spectacularly blow up in our faces in the worst way, but Price did carry his team on his back to the finals last year :)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If the guy has any interest at all in rebooting his NHL career, the prospect of playing with McDavid or Drai has to be attractive.

I just hope if he does well for a couple months we wouldn't give him a 7 year contract, lol. We totally would, wouldn't we?
We always think playing with McDrai would be attractive but the good bargain guys don’t come here. The players who do want big money too.

Seems like the appeal of McDrai is directly countered by the shit of playing for the Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad