Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread| Help Me Katz, Help, Help Me Katz, Help Me Katz Yeah Get Bob Out of Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Probably a trade, unfortunately. What I'd rather see is Nicholson's head on a spike along with Holland, Tippett and Schwartz's. I'd say I was tired of the mediocrity but it's gone beyond that, it's colossal stupidity and people in positions they're not qualified for.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Probably a trade, unfortunately. What I'd rather see is Nicholson's head on a spike along with Holland, Tippett and Schwartz's. I'd say I was tired of the mediocrity but it's gone beyond that, it's colossal stupidity and people in positions they're not qualified for.

Wow...

It sounds like edmonton had a allstar lineup, and thosw trolls doing a trolljob.

Well, Holland failed on4/5 veteran bets, so thats on him. Tippet has philosophy and stubborness to not make the obvious changes.

The big need really is a trade. After the four defenseman Nurse, Bouchard, Ceci, Kieth, there is a major gap of stability. Barrie is talented, but is such a unbalanced talent, and 4K and Lagesson cant be his babysitter. 4k and Barrie is a very bad fit, and with injuries they have to fill out more icetime.

Forwards? Nah, its getting Ok.
Tippet is to blame here.
Yama and Nuge is scoring a whopping 10 goals combined with top6 icetime every game. None is even tried as a 3rd liner.
Tippets love affair with Turris, please explain the purpose of making him a corepiece. Increade scoring? Well, that is a fail, and no change has came.

Ryan and Turris have seen their zenit, and there is no reason why either is played as much as they has.

So that another trade for Holland.

So, DO some phonework Holland, and dont throw away assets. Its this teams future after a GM fails.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
So nothing until after Sens game? We win, all is well and move on, we lose and changes happen? lol?

Edit: I guess that give the players a chance to give up on the coach.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
So nothing until after Sens game? We win, all is well and move on, we lose and changes happen? lol?
I think to a lot of people, they don't realise the Edmonton Oilers are a successful business venture - win or lose.

First and foremost, they ARE a business. A very successful one. They aren't in the business of winning cups, they're in the business of making money - which they're good at.
Winning a cup seems to have no implications on making money.

Winning takes a ton of effort, progressive thinking. It requires allocating resources into scouting, management, and constantly hunting for newer and better ways of doing things, and creating efficiencies, even at the cost of that precious nepotism that the Oilers organization values so deeply and masquerades as "stability". Winning doesn't need to happen with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisail winning the scoring titles, and being highlight reel machines.

What the decade of Darkness has proven to the Oilers ownership, is that winning or losing has no bearing on monetary income, and therefore they do not need to invest into winning.

Katz would easily tolerate another decade of darkness as long as his franchise valuation goes up.
What he will not tolerate is his franchise valuation plummeting resulting in massive financial losses.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I think to a lot of people, they don't realise the Edmonton Oilers are a successful business venture - win or lose.

First and foremost, they ARE a business. A very successful one. They aren't in the business of winning cups, they're in the business of making money - which they're good at.
Winning a cup seems to have no implications on making money.

Winning takes a ton of effort, progressive thinking. It requires allocating resources into scouting, management, and constantly hunting for newer and better ways of doing things, and creating efficiencies, even at the cost of that precious nepotism that the Oilers organization values so deeply and masquerades as "stability". Winning doesn't need to happen with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisail winning the scoring titles, and being highlight reel machines.

What the decade of Darkness has proven to the Oilers ownership, is that winning or losing has no bearing on monetary income, and therefore they do not need to invest into winning.

Katz would easily tolerate another decade of darkness as long as his franchise valuation goes up.
What he will not tolerate is his franchise valuation plummeting resulting in massive financial losses.
Im pretty sure long playoff runs and/or Cups would make a ton of money from merch/tickets/extra games/ etc...

Reactions: Kepler 186f

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
A coaching change won't fix this mess, multiple trades may help, or hurt even more, but I don't have faith that this "brain trust" will make the right moves anyway

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So I see all this talk about Swayman in the previous thread (I doubt he's available anyway) and know that Swayman has a lot of potential but I just find it funny that the Oilers have this goalie in their own system who was drafted a round ahead of him in the same draft, has been improving every year and also has a pretty good pedigree with a similar save pct. this season behind a worse team yet so many are willing to pay huge assets for Swayman and toss Skinner aside before giving him a chance.

Yes, I know that Swayman is highly regarded and has a slightly longer track record of success at the NHL level but my point is, why not give the homegrown kid a chance instead of paying huge assets for an almost equally unproven goalie who is the same age? Just throwing it out there since I don't believe anybody else did.

I don't think there are many options out there currently. MAF has a no trade list so forget that one, same with Varlamov I believe and they can't afford Varlamov's contract anyway. Price? Come on, lets be realistic. Who else that would be a significant enough upgrade to be worth the risk? Can't think of anybody really.

Reactions: MessierII

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
So I see all this talk about Swayman in the previous thread (I doubt he's available anyway) and know that Swayman has a lot of potential but I just find it funny that the Oilers have this goalie in their own system who was drafted a round ahead of him in the same draft, has been improving every year and also has a pretty good pedigree with a similar save pct. this season behind a worse team yet so many are willing to pay huge assets for Swayman and toss Skinner aside before giving him a chance.

Yes, I know that Swayman is highly regarded and has a slightly longer track record of success at the NHL level but my point is, why not give the homegrown kid a chance instead of paying huge assets for an almost equally unproven goalie who is the same age? Just throwing it out there since I don't believe anybody else did.

I don't think there are many options out there currently. MAF has a no trade list so forget that one, same with Varlamov I believe and they can't afford Varlamov's contract anyway. Price? Come on, lets be realistic. Who else that would be a significant enough upgrade to be worth the risk? Can't think of anybody really.
The Condors are in the middle of a 4 game set up in Abbotsford against the baby Canucks right now, I’d be kind of surprised if Skinner isn’t on his way to Edmonton after that series wraps up.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

Precisely. It's time to give Skinner a long look. It's not like we have any better options.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
A trade won't fix this mess, multiple trades may help, or hurt even more, but I don't have faith that this "brain trust" will make the right moves anyway :eek:
The one thing this management has proven is they will make the wrong decisions 95 percent of the time. I think some trades are needed but I know we will give up way to much for more of the same garbage players:

Reactions: CycloneSweep

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Precisely. It's time to give Skinner a long look. It's not like we have any better options.

Skinner coming in, playing well, and building consistency would be a magic bullet for this team on a ton of different fronts. If it somehow came to fruition, the value of being able to go comfortably into next season with Skinner and Smith would be immense.

Saves significant cap space, saves assets we would spend in a trade, and removes some of the risk of the unknown of a new goalie from an unfamiliar system. There is risk of downward correction in Skinner's play next year, but it would be a risk I would be willing to take.

The benefit of this working if it somehow worked should be forcing the organization to give him starts to see what they got, but they won't. Knowing how things work on the Oilers we'll probably spend significant assets for a goalie with a big ticket in trade, have that goalie come here and suck only for Skinner to be lights out making $750k. All while we carry a three headed goalie monster. That's what will happen, I'm certain of it.

Reactions: BudBundy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad