Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: FA Courting Period, I Wanna Court You Baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
If McDavid signs an 8 year deal at 13 million, that's really not that bad considering what the cap could be during that entire time.

We already said that Crosby took 17% of the cap, which is 12.75M per year of the current 75M cap.

Now getting him to sign 8 years vs 5 years is a massive increase as well, because you are now buying 4 UFA years as well.

I think the biggest thing we need to do is ensure Draisaitl is 8 million or less.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
We didn't have picks to trade. Why did we trade a half decent winger for literally junk when we had a huge hole in that second pairing RHD spot? Our management has been brutal this off season and anyone saying they haven't has to be a paid employee of the oilers or knows nothing about hockey. I think its fair that fans get upset looking at our window to win the cup shutting and there being once again no urgency to take advantage of Mcdavids ELC.

Were you under the impression that either:

1) McDavid is 34 years old? Or

2) The Oilers, regardless of management, had a decent shot at the Cup during McDavid's ELC?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Do I need to post this again?
47HXXEA.png

So you give up a 1st, 2 2nd's and probably more (since we are higher than Calgary in standings and picks are lower value) for a player who's only MARGINALLY better than Stone? Add in he's injured half the time and he would be our new whipping boy.

We do not need Hamonic. Just get over it. He is not an improvement over what we have, and we have a Top 10 defense in the league! :shakehead

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Are you paid by the Katz group? Because management never does anything bad in your eyes. Strome sucks

Look at my posting history. I was vehemently against the Ference signing months before it happened. I also insinuated a Strome+ for Eberle+ deal in April. It made sense regardless of whether you like the value or not. What doesn't make sense is trading valuable draft picks for Travis Hamonic when there wasn't a significant need. Whether people like Kris Russell or not, he fills the same damn need - a 20 minute a night defensive defenseman.

Boo hoo we didn't get Hamonic.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Look at my posting history. I was vehemently against the Ference signing months before it happened. I also insinuated a Strome+ for Eberle+ deal in April. It made sense regardless of whether you like the value or not. What doesn't make sense is trading valuable draft picks for Travis Hamonic when there wasn't a significant need. Whether people like Kris Russell or not, he fills the same damn need - a 20 minute a night defensive defenseman.

Boo hoo we didn't get Hamonic.

Pretty much my thoughts on Hamonic as well. I do view him as a little bit better than Russell, and is also a bit cheaper cost... but I don't think that's worth losing several draft picks over.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If Mcdavid is going to make 13M then I look at moving Draisaitl for a #1 dman. No way we can have him at 7.5M+ and win. If we're paying 7M+ for another player they need to play 25-30M a night.

I would talk to St. Louis about Pietrangelo+Sobotka for Draisaitl+Nurse. Might seem steep but I think that deal helps us get close to a cup and maybe win a few. Keeping Draisaitl just wont allow us to win long term.

Maroon-Mcdavid-Strome
Lucic-RNH-?
Caggiula-Sobotka-Kassian
Slepyshev-Letestu-Pakarainen

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell/Sekera-Pietrangelo
Simpson?/Russell-Benning
Gryba

We could basically have Pietrangelo or Larsson on the ice for an entire game.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Pretty much my thoughts on Hamonic as well. I do view him as a little bit better than Russell, and is also a bit cheaper cost... but I don't think that's worth losing several draft picks over.

I really wanted Hamonic. After looking at the price the islanders were asking, and that Calgary ended up paying to get him, I am happy with Russell and our draft picks.

If the team is as bad as some posters here think that they are. Even with Hamonic the 1st next year will be a really good pick! :sarcasm:

Seriously though. Regardless of the naysayers, we have a hell of a team the next few years and any perceived holes in the lineup can be addressed at the TD.

Lets see how the team performs before crucifying the best GM we have had since Sather. I trust him to build the team more than any HF poster thats for damn sure.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Do you know what exactly that was? All I heard is that is was an improvement but I haven't seen the stats.

He was a PPG in the month of February. It started about a half dozen games after Weight took over, then he got hurt in March.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Were you under the impression that either:

1) McDavid is 34 years old? Or

2) The Oilers, regardless of management, had a decent shot at the Cup during McDavid's ELC?

Im under the impression Mcdavid wants 13M and we wont be winning a cup with both him and Draisaitl taking up 20M in capspace. And yes we could have competed for a cup during Mcdavids ELC if Chia had brought in the right players. As it is he's been extremely lucky with Klefbom's development and Talbot/Kassian/Maroon all turning out to be good deals.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Im under the impression Mcdavid wants 13M and we wont be winning a cup with both him and Draisaitl taking up 20M in capspace. And yes we could have competed for a cup during Mcdavids ELC if Chia had brought in the right players. As it is he's been extremely lucky with Klefbom's development and Talbot/Kassian/Maroon all turning out to be good deals.

You have to be kidding right?

I get that you are mad and whatnot but this is just ridiculous.

Anything he does well is just luck? Good to know lol

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I really wanted Hamonic. After looking at the price the islanders were asking, and that Calgary ended up paying to get him, I am happy with Russell and our draft picks.

If the team is as bad as some posters here think that they are. Even with Hamonic the 1st next year will be a really good pick! :sarcasm:

Seriously though. Regardless of the naysayers, we have a hell of a team the next few years and any perceived holes in the lineup can be addressed at the TD.

Lets see how the team performs before crucifying the best GM we have had since Sather. I trust him to build the team more than any HF poster thats for damn sure.

The whole point is we should have traded Eberle for Hamonic even if we had to add a bit to get the deal done. We could have also re-signed Russell.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
The whole point is we should have traded Eberle for Hamonic even if we had to add a bit to get the deal done. We could have also re-signed Russell.

If they traded Eberle for a player that was left unprotected, how much value do you think Eberle had?

The + on Eberle would have still been too much to pay when you have another asset almost as good that doesn't cost any picks.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Swap Hamonic and Russell last season and the Oilers probably struggle to make the playoffs and the Isles likely squeak into the playoffs.

Sure going forward we could see that reverse if Hamonic returns to decent instead of ******... but the Oilers know what they have in Russell and he's been relatively consistent in what he delivers over the past half decade.

I'm sure the fact Russell was "free" to sign instead of costing multiple picks certainly made a huge difference as well.

I still want Chia to add another decent dman though... adding Russell and Gryba just puts the Oilers right back to where they were... less Sekera so I expect them to potentially be a little worse overall for the first few months of the season.

I hope Oesterle is also re-signed... solid depth dman who is developing well.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

It's quite obvious that either A) that wasn't an option or B) Chiarelli had no interest in using the return of Eberle on a defenseman if it meant letting Russell go and sign with Calgary. Signing both wasn't an option because it'd push one of Nurse or Benning completely out of the picture.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
McDavid is in a bit of a tough spot. If he signs what he's worth, it handcuffs the team. If he takes a discount, the PA will not be too pleased with him.

To me this doesn't make much sense at all. No matter what the players get 50% of HRR.

So if players like McDavid, Draisaitl, Matthews ect, all ask for the moon. The other players in the league will all make less.

It would kill the "middle class" of the NHL. Which most players in the NHLPA would not appreciate.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You have to be kidding right?

I get that you are mad and whatnot but this is just ridiculous.

Anything he does well is just luck? Good to know lol

How is it not lucky that Talbot was able to play 7 more games then any other goaltender in the league and still play at a high level? Expecting him to be a #1 was one thing, expecting him to play that many games and give you a high level pretty much every game is unheard of. Extremely lucky it turned out alright.

Also I don't think theres a person in the world who envisioned Maroon scoring 27 goals. Maybe 20, but 27 wasn't on the radar.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I've never understood this.

Why does Mcdavid give a s*** about what the PA thinks?

The PA may not be too interested in helping him down the road if he goes against their interests.

I could see players showing their displeasure on the ice as well.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
How is it not lucky that Talbot was able to play 7 more games then any other goaltender in the league and still play at a high level? Expecting him to be a #1 was one thing, expecting him to play that many games and give you a high level pretty much every game is unheard of. Extremely lucky it turned out alright.

Also I don't think theres a person in the world who envisioned Maroon scoring 27 goals. Maybe 20, but 27 wasn't on the radar.

Still it was Chia who made the deals, they turned out well. He even got Anaheim to pay 1/4 of Maroons salary for 3 years. It was a trade that nobody saw coming and worked out for us the second he got to Edmonton. I don't know how you can't give him any credit for that.

Kassian was a brilliant deal. He gave up a washed up backup goalie for a player who gives it his all every game and will be a part of the team for many years.

Talbot had a great year, no question about it. I still don't see how many games he played and how well he played being a "lucky" trade. They got a number 1 goalie for almost nothing. Sure you can say Slats did us a favour if you wanted to play that angle, but it was still a trade made by Chia that worked out now and for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad