Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: FA Courting Period, I Wanna Court You Baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The PA may not be too interested in helping him down the road if he goes against their interests.

I could see players showing their displeasure on the ice as well.

The average player should be mad at McDavid for leaving more cap to them? The average NHL player is the one who gets hurt when gross amounts of the cap are used for only 5-10% of the elite players.

If anything those "Coke Machine" players should be thanking McDavid if he takes less.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Im under the impression Mcdavid wants 13M and we wont be winning a cup with both him and Draisaitl taking up 20M in capspace. And yes we could have competed for a cup during Mcdavids ELC if Chia had brought in the right players. As it is he's been extremely lucky with Klefbom's development and Talbot/Kassian/Maroon all turning out to be good deals.

We were 29th and unfathomably jumped to the 2nd round of the playoffs, and you expected more? Care to elaborate who these right players are that would have resulted in a Cup for the Oilers by next season?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
If Mcdavid is going to make 13M then I look at moving Draisaitl for a #1 dman. No way we can have him at 7.5M+ and win. If we're paying 7M+ for another player they need to play 25-30M a night.

I would talk to St. Louis about Pietrangelo+Sobotka for Draisaitl+Nurse. Might seem steep but I think that deal helps us get close to a cup and maybe win a few. Keeping Draisaitl just wont allow us to win long term.

Maroon-Mcdavid-Strome
Lucic-RNH-?
Caggiula-Sobotka-Kassian
Slepyshev-Letestu-Pakarainen

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell/Sekera-Pietrangelo
Simpson?/Russell-Benning
Gryba

We could basically have Pietrangelo or Larsson on the ice for an entire game.

I don't hate it...lol

Only bad part is giving STL a #1C since we'll be in direct competition with them to get out of the WC.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
The PA may not be too interested in helping him down the road if he goes against their interests.

So you think that players will be mad at McDavid for taking a bit of a home town discount?

Why? That only means that there is more cash for everyone else if he takes less.

Yeah I bet they will be steamed about that one.

North

Jun 25, 2009

The PA can't selectively decide who they are going to help and who they aren't.

Most of those guys aren't even in McDavid's realm so his contract being less than max has nothing to do with them.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Connor signs for 13M/yr and when he asks why aren't we re-signing his bff Maroon. We will just tell him, we gave him Maroon's money.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Wish July 1st would just come so we know what hes getting and we can move on.

The highest salary in the league is 10.5 million? I know McDavid is a great player and all, it just seems odd that he would ask for 13mil. Kid seems humble, goes on about how its a team and not him. Cant see him asking for that much. Theres a lot of smoke about it though. Whatever happens, July 1st will be an interesting day.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It's quite obvious that either A) that wasn't an option or B) Chiarelli had no interest in using the return of Eberle on a defenseman if it meant letting Russell go and sign with Calgary. Signing both wasn't an option because it'd push one of Nurse or Benning completely out of the picture.

Nurse should be pushed out of the picture. That pairing was the #1 reason we lost to Anaheim. Absolutely brutal.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Hamonic
Russell-Benning
Gryba

Is probably a good enough defence to win a cup.

Especially if you trade Nurse for a young forward to help fill out up front.

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
Nurse should be pushed out of the picture. That pairing was the #1 reason we lost to Anaheim. Absolutely brutal.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Hamonic
Russell-Benning
Gryba

You don't think it had anything to do with a guy we were paying 6 mil to score 1 point?

There was no specific reason. It was a combination of things

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Still it was Chia who made the deals, they turned out well. He even got Anaheim to pay 1/4 of Maroons salary for 3 years. It was a trade that nobody saw coming and worked out for us the second he got to Edmonton. I don't know how you can't give him any credit for that.

Kassian was a brilliant deal. He gave up a washed up backup goalie for a player who gives it his all every game and will be a part of the team for many years.

Talbot had a great year, no question about it. I still don't see how many games he played and how well he played being a "lucky" trade. They got a number 1 goalie for almost nothing. Sure you can say Slats did us a favour if you wanted to play that angle, but it was still a trade made by Chia that worked out now and for years to come.

How many #1's play 73 games a season? Its incredible, most guys are closer to the 60 GP mark. The deals were good, but the players out performed except for maybe Kassian who came as advertised but was given a last chance.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Hamonic
Russell-Benning
Gryba

I wouldn't trade Nurse yet. Sure he had a poor series vs the Ducks but the Ducks are a good team and learning D in the NHL is the hardest position.

They say you shouldn't judge a Dman until he has played 250 games. Nurse has played 115. He could very well be a stud 2 way Dman for several years down the road. Unless someone offers something amazing. Keep him and watch him fill out and grow with the team.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You don't think it had anything to do with a guy we were paying 6 mil to score 1 point?

There was no specific reason. It was a combination of things

How many times were we up in a game in the Anaheim series and they came back to win the game 2-3 times IIRC. Defence and not scoring were both major issues in that series.

Macblender

May 5, 2014

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Hamonic
Russell-Benning
Gryba

If Talbot sold a couple calls? If McDavid scored more points than Letestu? If Lucic/RNH/Eberle could get on the board? If Sekera didnt go down? If Talbot stayed in god mode and not have a couple average games?

You can say all manner of things let the oilers down in the playoffs hahaha. Why are you mocking Hamonic on a D pairing when he isnt coming here that is in the past....

Have we not seen the value in good top 4 D who are young? Why not shelter Nurse give him time to develop and if we cannot afford him in a few years and he pans out we rake another team over the coals and take their crown jewel of a prospect or a young top fit for our forwards?
D depth is important lets keep some for once as if an injury occurs we could be screwed.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Those two are the cornerstones of our future and they know it.

That being said, I think the speculation from media is on the higher side and we're being set up for relief once the contract terms come out.

We are very fortunate to have our top two defenseman signed to approximately 8.5 million per for the next 3-4 years.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I wouldn't trade Nurse yet. Sure he had a poor series vs the Ducks but the Ducks are a good team and learning D in the NHL is the hardest position.

They say you shouldn't judge a Dman until he has played 250 games. Nurse has played 115. He could very well be a stud 2 way Dman for several years down the road. Unless someone offers something amazing. Keep him and watch him fill out and grow with the team.

Even then why not let him make it to that 2 way stud level first and then get the most value for him?

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
How many #1's play 73 games a season? Its incredible, most guys are closer to the 60 GP mark. The deals were good, but the players out performed except for maybe Kassian who came as advertised but was given a last chance.

I can see holding the fact that Talbot had to play 73 games against Chia for not getting a better backup than the "monster". That bothered me al season as I still don't feel like Broissoit is ready. I would love to see a backup come in and play 25 or so games so we can rest Talbot.

However Talbot strikes me as the type of goalie who plays better the more he plays.

Either way, I don't think that a player playing above expectations should mean that the GM didn't still win the trade and be credited for it.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Those two are the cornerstones of our future and they know it.

That being said, I think the speculation from media is on the higher side and we're being set up for relief once the contract terms come out.

We are very fortunate to have our top two defenseman signed to approximately 8.5 million per for the next 3-4 years.

Larsson is signed for 4 more years and Klefbom is signed for 6 more. Those are looking fantastic right now.

With Nurse/Benning up this season and unlikely to be off the 3rd pairing for an elongated period of time (till sekera is back) we may see them on cheaper bridge deals or very reasonable long term deals. Which would make our D even more of a bargain if there is good development.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Even then why not let him make it to that 2 way stud level first and then get the most value for him?

Because we could actually try and win a cup next season. Instead were sitting on our hands screwing up Mcdavids last year on his ELC. Can anyone honestly say at this point this team is stronger then last years team?

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Highly unlikely but what does a team with Jumbo on it look like?

Maroon-McDavid-Drai/RNH
Lucic-Jumbo-RNH/Drai
Caggiula-Strome-Kassian
Pouliot-Letestu-Slepyshev

Strome doesn't slot in to play center if we pick up Jumbo.

Maroon-McDavid-Caggiula
Lucic-Draisaitl-Strome
Pouliot-Thornton-RNH
Slepyshev-Letestu-Kassian
Khaira

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad