Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Brassard? Risto? Bueller? Bueller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
For 1 season that would be fine.

Pageau would be perfect. :nod:

Yeah, I filtered RH centers with one year left on their contracts on CapFriendly and those were the names that stood out. I figured Holland would want a guy with only one year left to match up with the rest of his signings this summer.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah, I filtered RH centers with one year left on their contracts on CapFriendly and those were the names that stood out. I figured Holland would want a guy with only one year left to match up with the rest of his signings this summer.

It certainly fits with what Holland has done so far.

Its a funny time of year...not much going on. I want the Oilers season to start ASAP but at the same time I love summer. Especially here in Penticton.
Looks like I am going to be out here permanently as well so I will have to find a provider for Oilers games.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Manning would have to be included because of salary purposes. His cap hit is $2.25M but he's only making $2M this season. The Sens need tuffness and leederchip.

Reactions: oobga and Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It certainly fits with what Holland has done so far.

Its a funny time of year...not much going on. I want the Oilers season to start ASAP but at the same time I love summer. Especially here in Penticton.
Looks like I am going to be out here permanently as well so I will have to find a provider for Oilers games.

You could splurge for NHL Gamecenter. Or see how many games are going to be broadcast on SNW. Those are all the “official” ways.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You could splurge for NHL Gamecenter. Or see how many games are going to be broadcast on SNW. Those are all the “official” ways.

So the Oilers games on SNW arent blacked out in BC?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
So the Oilers games on SNW arent blacked out in BC?
Shouldn't be. I've never used GameCenter but when I lived in BC for a year I bought NHL Centre Ice and I saw every Oilers game; I assume it's the same.

The only games that will be blacked out for you in BC are the 48 regional Canucks games that are only airing on Sportsnet Pacific. If the Oilers are playing the Canucks and it's not a nationally televised game you'd have to watch it on Sportsnet Pacific instead of GameCenter.

This says you would get 79 of the 82 Oilers games:

Game Availability & Blackouts in British Columbia and the Yukon

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Shouldn't be. I've never used GameCenter but when I lived in BC for a year I bought NHL Centre Ice and I saw every Oilers game; I assume it's the same.

The only games that will be blacked out for you in BC are the 48 regional Canucks games that are only airing on Sportsnet Pacific. If the Oilers are playing the Canucks and it's not a nationally televised game you'd have to watch it on Sportsnet Pacific instead of GameCenter.

This says you would get 79 of the 82 Oilers games:

Game Availability & Blackouts in British Columbia and the Yukon

Perfect...thanks man!

Reactions: Del Preston

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Perfect...thanks man!
I doublechecked and those are last season's totals. Three of the four Oilers-Canucks games were on Sportsnet Pacific, that's why it says 79 of 82. This season only two of the four meetings are on Sportsnet Pacific, so you would see 80 Oilers games with GameCenter and the other two would be on SNP.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Just to steer this back to trade possibilities...Shattenkirk is an interesting possibility.

Should the Oilers be showing interest in Kevin Shattenkirk?

The Oilers would have to move out some salary (like Russell as mentioned in the article) but he would really change the complexion of this defence.
His contract expires in 2 years as well.

Having a top 4 of Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse and Shattenkirk would be a major upgrade.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

The number 1 need for the Oilers is the same this year as it has been for the last decade. We need a true #1 Offensive Puck Moving D-Man. It's not wonder this team can't get out of its hole, they don't even know whats wrong. So sure, go sign Strome 2.0 and see where that gets you.

Reactions: harpoon

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
So yeah, it would be great if we could get Brassard signed for a couple seasons. If he rebounds as a 2C, brilliant. If he remains a 3C, that's fine too. I doubt we can afford to fit him in, though.

I still have time for Nichushkin as I think every line needs someone who excels at transporting the puck and entering the zone cleanly. Further, his work in the corners and defensive acumen are underrated. Awful, awful shot though.

As it stands, training camp is going to be an absolute bloodbath among forwards vying for a place in the bottom six.

Archibald, Benson, Brodziak, Cave, Currie, Gagner, Gambardella, Granlund, Haas, Jurco, Khaira, Marody, Nygard, Puljujarvi and P. Russell.

While some aren't at risk of being sent down (e.g. Khaira), they are all at risk of being scratched at any time. That's a total of fifteen forwards vying for eight spots, and only six of those get game time. There is going to be no shortage of internal competition driving players on.

I would be happy to make that seventeen with Brassard and Nichushkin. (Although remaining cap space dictates only one could sign.)

Reactions: MikeFLB

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
The number 1 need for the Oilers is the same this year as it has been for the last decade. We need a true #1 Offensive Puck Moving D-Man. It's not wonder this team can't get out of its hole, they don't even know whats wrong. So sure, go sign Strome 2.0 and see where that gets you.
Be happy that we have Bouchard and Broberg in the system!

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Just to steer this back to trade possibilities...Shattenkirk is an interesting possibility.

Should the Oilers be showing interest in Kevin Shattenkirk?

The Oilers would have to move out some salary (like Russell as mentioned in the article) but he would really change the complexion of this defence.
His contract expires in 2 years as well.

Having a top 4 of Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse and Shattenkirk would be a major upgrade.
Even if the Rangers were to trade Shattenkirk, we would be on his 10 team no trade list alongside every other Canadian team. He has no interest playing in Canada.

Source: he just doesn't.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Actually the Oil took a big leap w/ almost the same dmen and when they added Desharnais. We also had Letestu. Strome was not a great C, hence why NYR has used him on the wing more

Sekera was also not a great puck mover

The hole at 3C is massive, it's not a misguided statement

We have Jones and Persson in the mix for possible puck movers, but no 3C. It's a greater need ATM

Reactions: Panda Bear

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Even if the Rangers were to trade Shattenkirk, we would be on his 10 team no trade list alongside every other Canadian team. He has no interest playing in Canada.

Source: he just doesn't.

Kawhi Leonard didn't have any interest in playing or staying in Canada either. He ended up playing because he knew he was going to be a free agent and he wanted other teams to know he was still a great player worth multimillions despite his injury.

Just treat Shattenkirk as a hired gun, lure him in with the possibility of increasing his own market value by being able to play with McDavid, sign him to a one year deal (assuming NY buys him out), and tell him there are no expectations for him to re-sign here.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm going to say something that people will think maybe is crazy... BUT the Oilers already have a pile of forwards and yes I know that #3C could be upgraded but I think there's likely enough options on the team now to fill out the bottom 6.

It's not against all hope that Brodziak doesn't come back with a better season as well... maybe not likely but not impossible. He seems to have fallen off a cliff but there's a chance he rebounds as well and was just another collective victim of the mass exodus of any talent from the bottom 6 on the Oilers last season.

Brodziak/Haas/Granlund/Marody/Gagner/Currie/Cave/Gambardella/Khaira

I know most would say there's not a single good option in there for a #3C... (and some of those are more wingers than C) but I think there's enough bodies there that SOMETHING should work out when camp rolls around and you get healthy competition going.

In fact I think there's a high enough chance of that that you wait until you see it's not working out and then deal with it at that point.

It's highly possible that with all the "non-movement" around the NHL and all the un-signed RFA players out there that a better option might just pop up out of nowhere when the season comes closer to starting as other teams get their rosters in order. There might even be some unexpected waiver wire moves that a team high on the priority list (like the Oilers are)... can take advantage of.

Point being it's probably the best strategy to wait and see what this current pile of forwards shakes out to be in camp before they add yet more pieces.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
He's also not a third line center. When he's been tried as one, the results have been awful.
He's certainly not a shutdown centre, no. But if we look for our third line to be a scoring line, then it's a different story.

Depending on line chemistry and form, Brassard would centre a rotation of players seeing time in the top six like Chiasson, Kassian, Khaira and Neal as well as players like Gagner, Nygard and Puljujarvi (if he gets his head out of his keester).

That's viable.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
So yeah, it would be great if we could get Brassard signed for a couple seasons. If he rebounds as a 2C, brilliant. If he remains a 3C, that's fine too. I doubt we can afford to fit him in, though.

I still have time for Nichushkin as I think every line needs someone who excels at transporting the puck and entering the zone cleanly. Further, his work in the corners and defensive acumen are underrated. Awful, awful shot though.

As it stands, training camp is going to be an absolute bloodbath among forwards vying for a place in the bottom six.

Archibald, Benson, Brodziak, Cave, Currie, Gagner, Gambardella, Granlund, Haas, Jurco, Khaira, Marody, Nygard, Puljujarvi and P. Russell.

While some aren't at risk of being sent down (e.g. Khaira), they are all at risk of being scratched at any time. That's a total of fifteen forwards vying for eight spots, and only six of those get game time. There is going to be no shortage of internal competition driving players on.

I would be happy to make that seventeen with Brassard and Nichushkin. (Although remaining cap space dictates only one could sign.)

Don't forget little Yamamoto... he has a small chance. :)

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Kawhi Leonard didn't have any interest in playing or staying in Canada either. He ended up playing because he knew he was going to be a free agent and he wanted other teams to know he was still a great player worth multimillions despite his injury.

Just treat Shattenkirk as a hired gun, lure him in with the possibility of increasing his own market value by being able to play with McDavid, sign him to a one year deal (assuming NY buys him out), and tell him there are no expectations for him to re-sign here.
It doesn't make sense for NYR to buy him out. While it would put them under this season, Shattenkirk's buyout cap hit for 20/21 would be $6 million. That's a huge hurdle.

They're far better off packaging a prospect or pick with an overpaid player like Namestnikov, and as the season draws near, I'm sure some team will "help" them out.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It doesn't make sense for NYR to buy him out. While it would put them under this season, Shattenkirk's buyout cap hit for 20/21 would be $6 million. That's a huge hurdle.

They're far better off packaging a prospect or pick with an overpaid player like Namestnikov, and as the season draws near, I'm sure some team will "help" them out.

Maybe, and obviously it doesn't make sense for the Oilers to spend huge amounts of trade assets to acquire him. If he ever became a FA because of a buy-out though, I think it does make some sense.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Don't forget little Yamamoto... he has a small chance. :)
So does Benson, but I would prefer for the two of them to dominate the AHL.

I am hoping that Marody's skating will dramatically improve over this off season as he has the hands, vision and verve to be a creative middle six player IF his skating gets up to snuff.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Actually the Oil took a big leap w/ almost the same dmen and when they added Desharnais. We also had Letestu. Strome was not a great C, hence why NYR has used him on the wing more

Sekera was also not a great puck mover

The hole at 3C is massive, it's not a misguided statement

We have Jones and Persson in the mix for possible puck movers, but no 3C. It's a greater need ATM

I liked the Desharnais trade the moment it happened. Moreso than a lot of folks around here. But I won't go as far as to say that adding Desharnai is what made us take a big leap. We were already a decent team that year just by having a COMPLETE D to back up the generational skill that McDavid was bringing every night. But the last couple years have shown, if any bit of adversity hits that barely average D this team comes crumbling down, which is why we haven't made the playoffs. Klef gets injured, Seks gets injured, Larsson has some mental struggles... whole team falls apart because that D is so average its fragile.

Jones, Persson, Bouchard, Samaroukov, Broberg.... they are all futures... they are all unproven. We need someone now, and I would argue for those up and comers to have success we need someone so they don't get thrust into roles that they'll be destined to fail in (we've seen this story before).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad