Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Brassard? Risto? Bueller? Bueller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Spooner took like ..2 to 3 games to be on the ice for as many 5v5 goals against as Strome was in 18. Strome wasn't great but Spooner was literally useless
my recollection of strome was that he was basically pulling his weight 5on5.

his scoring was gone but he had still essentially proved you could rely on him as a RS 3c and probably expect scoring to come around.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Honestly too many people are still infatuated with boxcars and don't look at the fact hockey is played at both ends of the ice... and really don't look at the context of the minutes players play... taking into account the quality of their teammates, opposition, usage etc.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Ygw5XIx.jpg

Does this look like a guy who knows anything about hockey? Or put on a pair of skates before?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Strome bought into playing more defensively responsible hockey. He was fairly snake bitten but was at the very least treading water. The trade was salvaged to a degree by moving Spooner for Gagner, but there is no way to hide the fact that the original trade was a big negative for the Oilers. He was also playing well on the pk something Spooner did not do at all.

Strome also wasn't on the ice for a single 5x5 during those 18 games. He committed to being a shutdown center.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
And honestly, even though I hate their team, TOR deserves better than a C. Dubas actually pulled some magic tricks out of his hat this summer for basically pulling off several cap saving hockey trades.
A+ to St. Louis for doing nothing
A+ to Tampa trading Miller and signing McElhinney
A to Boston for signing Brett Ritchie and Par Lindholm
A to Montreal for trading Shaw

Reactions: Oilhawks and Cloned

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The problem with out of market criticism from ignoramous US-and-Toronto based media is they only have the broad strokes. They don't have any nuance or detail work, and they don't have the ethic or professionalism to seek information in the same way a Bob McKenzie or more local MSM type would. Regardless of what you may think of someone like Mark Spector, if it was HE who was giving the Oilers F- grades for their offseason work, that would at least come from a place of situational understanding and not some gut reaction from a playground pundit looking for some sweeping move or moves to praise or deride.

A good example is, could you honestly see someone like Mark Spector writing up the Oilers top-10 prospects this spring and leaving Tyler Benson off the list? THN did. Do you think that THN understands that the Oilers could not kill penalties, and had no depth scorers hit 10 goals, and signed a whack of cost effective players that help this? Do you think they understand the superiority of 20-25 year old Jones, Bear, Persson, Lagesson, Bouchard and Samourkov as depth options as compared to Gryba, Auvitu, Garrison, Gravel, Petrovic and Manning? Do you think they understand the cap implications of the Lucic-Neal trade and depth work versus, say, overpaying Gustav Nyquist or Mark Ferlund?

I would be curious to see what they think of Vancouver's offseason. I think that was incredibly poor work by VAN and I'm wondering how they saw that.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Lol an “analyst” on NHL network gave Holland an F- for his moves this summer. Is an F- even real lmao

He didn't sign a bad, over priced, long UFA contract, created some bottom six competition and moved Lucic. I didn't like the Sekera buyout or Smith signing and he didn't get a proven winger for RNH. I'd say it was an average off season.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Also, what is the value or reviewing the body of work a team undertook all year and through the offseason together? Many teams will not have the same management teams. What value does this review provide?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
To show you what a dishrag THN has become, the salary cap wasn’t an issue with them prior to Marner this off season. Now suddenly the cap is unfair since it negatively impacts Toronto.

THN can f*** right off.

80CBE5B9-925A-4C34-BCC8-54DDFF711C65.jpeg

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
To show you what a dishrag THN has become, the salary cap wasn’t an issue with them prior to Marner this off season. Now suddenly the cap is unfair since it negatively impacts Toronto.

THN can **** right off.

View attachment 246865

That's amusing.

Top players almost never change teams in the NHL. The biggest reason Mitch Marner is a problem in TO is Dubas mishandled William Nylander. If he had made the obvious decision and traded him a year ago, Marner would easily fit into the cap structure.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
An F grade seems right, to be honest.
Applied a high draft pick to the position of least necessity, cleared zero cap space, added a few fourth liners and an aged backup goalie.
The Looch trade is something, but it's awfully hard to give this off-season anything other than a failing grade.

Let's just enjoy summer, have some patio drinks, Fringe and Folk Fests are coming up. Enjoy it my guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad