Rumor: Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Mac T confirming will be trying to get draft picks, may look at some of the secondary players available in the offseason (rather than the big stars).

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
lol #tanknation. NEED MOAR DRAFT P!X!!!

All of your draft picks are STILL belong to us.

Last edited:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
will get down to brass tacks with JSchultz after the deadline.

Edit: thinks JSchultz been much better the last 6 weeks.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Craig Mactavish - "I decided to watch the Oilers practice, and I felt we need to make a few changes, so before TDD, Daryl Katz and I have decided to trade the Oilers for the Flames. Daryl and I felt we shouldn't stop the rebuild so we want to make it longer."

except that the flames are actually further ahead in their rebuild than we are according to the standings

FYI - i don't actually think this, but i'm just pointing out that we shouldn't be making fun of the flames, considering they *are* ahead of us right now after all

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
except that the flames are actually further ahead in their rebuild than we are according to the standings

FYI - i don't actually think this, but i'm just pointing out that we shouldn't be making fun of the flames, considering they *are* ahead of us right now after all

Not making fun of them, it's more making fun of us. The fact the Flames were set on a rebuild and the Oilers 'SHOULD' have been done by now. Pathetic.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
MacT - The egyptians took hundreds maybe thousands of years to complete the great pyramids, this 8 year blip is so small in comparison that i dont even think it warrants a letter from Mr. Katz.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Mac T confirming will be trying to get draft picks, may look at some of the secondary players available in the offseason (rather than the big stars).

yay! more trades where the oilers give up legit NHLers and in return get magic beans that in 3-5 years have a 25% chance of becoming almost as useful as the player you gave up to acquire them! who doesn't love those types of trades?

ridiculous

hemsky i get, he's about to be a UFA and walk, so get what you can... players like gagner and n. schultz better be traded for actual NHLers, or just keep them.... we can't keep going around and around and around on this carousal of giving up a legit NHL player and getting back a hope and a prayer

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
MacT - The egyptians took hundreds maybe thousands of years to complete the great pyramids, this 8 year blip is so small in comparison that i dont even think it warrants a letter from Mr. Katz.

QUICK! Photoshop Craig Mactavish's head on Pharaoh's slave driver whipping the Oilers in building the new arena. Pharaoh is Katz. Kevin Lowe is Cleopatra :laugh:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

I don't think "ahead" is really the right wording. Calgary has 2-3 Dmen better than anyone 1 Dman we have. And they had them before they started their "rebuild". They were never as bad off as we were/are currently.

If we had their D we would be far from bottom feeders we currently are.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
which means Hemsky for a pick :cry:

And you were expecting more in return?
Nobody should be surprised that MacT is going to get draft picks for his mediocre UFA's.
If he can get the 2nd and 3rd back for Hemsky and Schultz, that should be considered a success at this point.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

So what picks the Oilers have this year right now?

We have our own 1st rounder, but we do not have our own 2nd, 3rd or 4th (Perron, Scrivens, Brown trades) but we do have San Joses 4th from the second Brown trade.

Two years in a row now the Oilers are in a position where they don't have any mid round picks and are going to be forced to trade assets in order to pick them up. Maybe the team should stop trading 3rd/4th rounders for crappy hockey players?

Hopefully they re-sign Scrivens or it's just another wasted asset.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

We have our own 1st rounder, but we do not have our own 2nd, 3rd or 4th (Perron, Scrivens, Brown trades) but we do have San Joses 4th from the second Brown trade.

Two years in a row now the Oilers are in a position where they don't have any mid round picks and are going to be forced to trade assets in order to pick them up. Maybe the team should stop trading 3rd/4th rounders for crappy hockey players?

Yeah, just awful Scrivens and Perron.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
I know this is not a rumor but i think you guys should target players who are blocked by stars signed long term (rundblad from Pheonix, M Subban from boston...)

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I really wanted Matheson to ask about trading Hemsky for Drew Stafford. That would make my day and probably my month.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, just awful Scrivens and Perron.

I didn't mean to include the Perron trade as mid round picks.

Scrivens will be awful if they don't sign him. If they do... great, solid deal. But if not...
Will go along with trading a 3rd and two 4th last year for Fistric, Brown and Smithson. At least Brown returned a 4th rounder this year.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
I know this is not a rumor but i think you guys should target players who are blocked by stars signed long term (rundblad from Pheonix, M Subban from boston...)

The question is would someone be willing to give up a prospect with the calibre of M. Subban for any of our UFAs? The only player that could maybe get that is Hemsky but I doubt a team gives up an prospect like M. Subban or any other A-grade prospects for him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I didn't mean to include the Perron trade as mid round picks.

Scrivens will be awful if they don't sign him. If they do... great, solid deal. But if not...
Will go along with trading a 3rd and two 4th last year for Fistric, Brown and Smithson. At least Brown returned a 4th rounder this year.

What's worse having Fistric, Brown and Smithson or Marindale, Blain, Abney, Bigos?

Not like we are doing sweet tweet **** all with 3rd and 4th rounders.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
The question is would someone be willing to give up a prospect with the calibre of M. Subban for any of our UFAs? The only player that could maybe get that is Hemsky but I doubt a team gives up an prospect like M. Subban or any other A-grade prospects for him.

I think Hemsky for Rundblad seems reasonable !! add a 3/4 pick if needed

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Or we could not trade actual NHLer's for fricken mid round picks that have less then a ten percent chance of working out. Who cares if we dont pick in round 2 and 3. I know I don't, I'd rather trade Hemsky for a prospect in the AHL that's ready to make the jump but is stuck in lower leagues because of the team depth. Ditto to N. Schultz, maybe we could send him to Boston for say a guy like Anthony Camara for example.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What's worse having Fistric, Brown and Smithson or Marindale, Blain, Abney, Bigos?

Not like we are doing sweet tweet **** all with 3rd and 4th rounders.

And then they traded down with a high second to a lower second in order to pick up mid round picks in the draft. It's poor asset management.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
yay! more trades where the oilers give up legit NHLers and in return get magic beans that in 3-5 years have a 25% chance of becoming almost as useful as the player you gave up to acquire them! who doesn't love those types of trades?

ridiculous

hemsky i get, he's about to be a UFA and walk, so get what you can... players like gagner and n. schultz better be traded for actual NHLers, or just keep them.... we can't keep going around and around and around on this carousal of giving up a legit NHL player and getting back a hope and a prayer

To be fair, the reason the Oilers don't have a second or third round pick is because they used them to acquire actual NHL players (Perron and Scrivens). So if the net balance is Hemsky, Gagner, Second, and Third moved out for Perron, Scrivens, Second and Third moved in, I would argue we come out ahead. In fact, we haven't seen that kind of strong asset management in a very long time.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
And then they traded down with a high second to a lower second in order to pick up mid round picks in the draft. It's poor asset management.

MacT quickly proving he has no plan and is just as much of a dufus as the last GM. Can anyone make a photo of the 3 stooges with MacT, Howson, and Lowe, I feel like I'm watching an episode of that old show any time I hear any news about the Oilers these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad