Rumor: Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
So Gagner to LA is the dominant rumor here.

The last few tweets:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3h
Oilers aren't eager to retain salary in Gagner trade and are believed to be receiving interest from other teams based on the buzz...

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3m
LA-Edmtn deal could still go down, but, what's the rush? Gagner is playing well and could fetch more at deadline or at the Draft.

Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74 3m
From a Kings source when asked if Gagner to Kings gets done: "If I'm a betting man, yes."

Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74 1m
Regarding last tweet, that Kings source didn't say Gagner to LA deal would be today but believes it gets done eventually.

I'll update it when possible

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
~35 minutes to go, I'm getting the vibe that nothing is going to happen today.

Although I freaked out earlier when the Omark thread got bumped and I saw "confirmed with link... 6th round pick" :P

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from various tweeds I gather that the Kings don't want to move:
- Toffoli
- Pearson
- Muzzin
- Martinez
- Zykov

And they want the Oilers to retain salary.

I'm no Gagner fan but maybe another team could offer something sweeter?

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from various tweeds I gather that the Kings don't want to move:
- Toffoli
- Pearson
- Muzzin
- Martinez
- Zykov

Wait seriously? I've missed most of today, but all of those players are off the table?

Yeah I'll take my chances at the draft if that's the case.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
- Toffoli
- Pearson
- Muzzin
- Martinez
- Zykov

This.

When I hear LA Kings fans/Bloggers/Media talk....

"LA is very interested in Gagner, as long as it's for almost free and the Oilers hold salary."

Oilers fans are all..

"Toffoli? Muzzin? Vey? Brown?"

Kings answer..

"No, we will only give you the 4th liner and maybe a 3rd. Your guy sucks and has no value."

Then why do they want him?

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
~35 minutes to go, I'm getting the vibe that nothing is going to happen today.

Makes sense, this is a fake deadline, teams can still trade later before getting to the playoffs. All trading for a player does now is put him on your payroll for a 3 weeks vacation.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
The majority of people here believe our top 6 is way too soft. Perron is the only one with a real edge to his game and doesn't getted knocked on his butt when engaging physically. Gagner is the least valuable of the soft forwards, so they want him moved so that the Oilers can get some toughness in their top 6 to balance things out. I think the best time to move him will be at the draft when more teams will be interested in moving real assets.

Right. I get why we could/should move him. I just don't understand why some posters think we MUST move him. MacT has the upper hand here. Gags is a sough after commodity as the TDL approaches. MacT knows that and so do the other GMs. Either give us some value back or get lost! Clifford for Gags is a joke and everyone knows it. If that's what was really on the table, then there's your reason why the trade hasn't happened yet and won't.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
- Toffoli
- Pearson
- Muzzin
- Martinez
- Zykov

IIRC this is typical Lombardi...he totally hoards every prospect he has and is very reluctant to part with them.

I remember this driving Sharks fans up the wall when he was their GM when they always seemed like they were one big 'now for futures' move away from going for the cup, and he just couldn't make himself do it.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I don't see why LA would want to make the trade before the Olympic break, they'd have to pay Gagner 385k to just sit at home. Why not make the Oilers pay that then do the trade after if you're DL?

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
IIRC this is typical Lombardi...he totally hoards every prospect he has and is very reluctant to part with them.

I remember this driving Sharks fans up the wall when he was their GM when they always seemed like they were one big 'now for futures' move away from going for the cup, and he just couldn't make himself do it.

Which is one of the reasons why its best to be very cautious when he offers up a prospect. Chances are, its one they don't have in the plans for a reason (see: Colton Teubert).

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
been a rather uneventful ORFDD

I don't really see why anyone thought there would be trades made on this day. The only way I could see this day having any impact would be if the trade involved any players named to their country's Olympic team. Otherwise, teams are just trading for a player they'll have to pay and take a cap hit for during the 3 week period of the Olympic break where the player can't play or even practice for them.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
- Toffoli
- Pearson
- Muzzin
- Martinez
- Zykov

If it were me in MacT's shoes, I'd be giving Lombardi the one finger salute via Skype as a thank you for wasting my time, since he's obviously not being serious about this.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Based on Stauffer's take and the "Mayor's list...we all assumed it was Clifford and Prokhorkin

I don't think anyone will mistaken me for a Gagner fan. I don't consider him a top-6 C in the west. He's a winger on any playoff team. I think he's redundant here and his contract is crappy.

With that said, if your getting Clifford and Prokhorkin(???!?!?) for him, essentially 4th liner + garbage, there is no reason to trade him.

I was ok with Clifford + good asset, but Clifford plus nothing makes no sense. Trade him at TDD or the draft.

Hell see if Ottawa wants him (rumors of Spezza leaving etc.), or Toronto or some other team.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I'm happy if we're holding on to him for now if the best return available is Clifford and a b prospect. If we then held on to money on top of that it would be just laughable. Sam Gagner's value will increase. He has had a very difficult season, but we all know he is a capable 2nd line C/RW that can put up 50 pts a season. He's young, and it sounds like there a skilled players who would be happy to play with him. The rumoured returns from LA just don't entice me at all.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
I don't think anyone will mistaken me for a Gagner fan. I don't consider him a top-6 C in the west. He's a winger on any playoff team. I think he's redundant here and his contract is crappy.

With that said, if your getting Clifford and Prokhorkin(???!?!?) for him, essentially 4th liner + garbage, there is no reason to trade him.

I was ok with Clifford + good asset, but Clifford plus nothing makes no sense. Trade him at TDD or the draft.

Hell see if Ottawa wants him (rumors of Spezza leaving etc.), or Toronto or some other team.

Well, Prokhorkin has major upside....but the issue would be getting him to come over the North America. I think he's signed thru the 2015 season.

But he has disgusting skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad