Rumor: No weighted draft lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
Jester said:
:biglaugh:

it was fun seeing what the post-stevens era is going to look like last year, huh?

I'll take Lou over ten Clarkes and twenty on Sunday. It's not even fair. :D

KOVALEV10*

Boltsfan2029 said:
From 1997 or so to 2002, I don't believe the Lightning finished higher than 27th overall. We were the poster children for mediocrity!

Heck, we were worse than mediocre...
Who cares about 1997? This is 2005. You guys are the defending champions. Crosby should go to a good but not great team.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
KOVALEV10 said:
Who cares about 1997? This is 2005. You guys are the defending champions. Crosby should go to a good but not great team.
A good team? Seems kinda the opposite of the purpose of a draft, no??

And I think his point was that the Bolts suffered through five years of being bad to medicore and built through the draft and careful trades.

Blueshirts4me

Mar 11, 2003
Visit site
Boltsfan2029 said:
From 1997 or so to 2002, I don't believe the Lightning finished higher than 27th overall. We were the poster children for mediocrity!

Heck, we were worse than mediocre...

It is something that comes with being an expansion team. The Rangers have been around for 79 years, and managed to be good 4 times (with the first 3, only having to be better than 5 other teams). When you guys become that mediocre, let me know.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Blueshirts4me said:
It is something that comes with being an expansion team. The Rangers have been around for 79 years, and managed to be good 4 times (with the first 3, only having to be better than 5 other teams). When you guys become that mediocre, let me know.
I think the Rangers mediocrity stems from ineptitude than from anything else. It’s a problem within the Ranger organization and not with the league. They had enough high draft picks and at one time had some decent prospects in the system, however the "win it now" mentality cost the Ranger more so than anything else.

Growing up a Ranger fan, I know what medicore is.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
Jester said:
see... i'd go the other route... i'd take Marty over any goalie in the league.

And I'm secure in having Lou and Dave Conte running the Devils. And please don't give me that Carter & Richards routine just yet, let them play a game before we secure their spots in the Hockey Hall of Fame. And believe it or not, we also have some kids with potential like Parise, Vrana and Zajac. Philly isn't the only team with good prospects, even if that's what your little mind say's! :sarcasm:

DevilsFan

Jun 2, 2005
Hate to burst your bubble Darkside, but if we don't resign Stevens, Rafalski, and Niedermayer, our Devils are in big trouble.

Honestly, the Lightning and the Flyers are the teams to beat in the East. The Flyers have a boatload of potential and are solid for the future. Actually, the Trenton Titans and Philadelphia Phatoms, both Flyers farmclubs, won their respective league championships!

I love my Devils, but Lou (whom I have faith in) is going to have to do some major drafting and shell out some considerable cash for FA's to make the Devils a serious contender again.

ATLANTARANGER*

How is it that your guys are good

DARKSIDE said:
And I'm secure in having Lou and Dave Conte running the Devils. And please don't give me that Carter & Richards routine just yet, let them play a game before we secure their spots in the Hockey Hall of Fame. And believe it or not, we also have some kids with potential like Parise, Vrana and Zajac. Philly isn't the only team with good prospects, even if that's what your little mind say's! :sarcasm:
but other teams prospect have to prove themselves?

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Blueshirts4me said:

True, except we made the playoffs in 1996, missed it by one point in 1997 and then plunged to the point of being the laughingstock of the league. Had it been a steady progression from awful to crappy to mediocre to champions, I’d better appreciate your point. I’d probably also appreciate it more if our owner had thrown money at players rather than being one of the cheapest teams in the league (and the cheapest for a while, if memory serves), leaving the fans with little hope of improvement for so long. You guys may have been mediocre, but at least you had some decent players to watch and each UFA signing gave you hope (false as it may have been), something we pretty much never had until 2 years ago.

Don’t get me wrong. If the Lightning’s roster remains intact, I agree we shouldn’t have a shot at Crosby. (We wouldn’t get him even if we have an equal chance, we’ve never won the first overall pick, no reason to think fate would change now! :) )

Just seems everyone is trying to put as much spin on the whole fiasco as possible to justify why their favorite team should have a better shot at the #1. I’ve said all along they should just forget about figuring out the draft until the CBA is completed & they see just how much rosters change for each team. Then they'd know if teams were gutted, remain basically the same w/normal amount of turnover, etc., and can make a more informed, intelligent decision on how to handle the draft.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Travelin Man said:
Here is the Only Possible FAIR Draft Lottery System.

Criteria:

#1 - Any Team that has won a Cup is OUT

(Canadians, Rangers, Bruins, Leafs, Hawks, Wings, Flyers, Islanders, Oilers, Flames, Penguins, Devils, AVS, Stars and Lightning are OUT!!)

#2 - Any team that has been to the Finals since 1994 is OUT

(Ducks, Hurricanes, Sabres, Capitals, Panthers, Canucks are OUT)

#3 - Team must have been in Existance in their Current City Prior to 1991!

(Sharks, Coyotes, Thrashers, Senators, Predators, Wild & Blue Jackets are OUT)

#4 - Teams Must have Started in the 1967/68 Season

(Blues are OUT)

So after all the criteria has been met. The Draft Lottery will take place and the Winning team will be:

The Los Angeles Kings!!!

Do the math.. It's a given

I hate to embarass you after all the deep thought provoking effort that you put into the fabulous (almost WHA worthy) draft scheme - but the Blues started in '67, just like the Kings.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Why would ever team have an equal chance in a lottery...isn't the point of the lotteyr to differentiate depending on standings?

If your going to give everyone an equal chance, than why not forget the draft all together and make these prospects free agents? I mean, this new CBA is going to give every team an equal shot at free agents and keep the market down to where every team can afford players right? So if you make Crosby a free agent, every team will have an equal chance to pay him the money he's going to get.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
nyr7andcounting said:
Why would ever team have an equal chance in a lottery...isn't the point of the lotteyr to differentiate depending on standings?

If your going to give everyone an equal chance, than why not forget the draft all together and make these prospects free agents? I mean, this new CBA is going to give every team an equal shot at free agents and keep the market down to where every team can afford players right? So if you make Crosby a free agent, every team will have an equal chance to pay him the money he's going to get.

this is just for this years draft, subsequent drafts will be based on standings, but as there are no standings for this season, everyone gets a shot.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think the Rangers mediocrity stems from ineptitude than from anything else. It’s a problem within the Ranger organization and not with the league. They had enough high draft picks and at one time had some decent prospects in the system, however the "win it now" mentality cost the Ranger more so than anything else.

They haven't really had all that many high draft picks lately...the last real high ones were back in '99, which turned out to be a crap draft anyways and Brendl and Lundmark are hardly anything to cheer about now at this point. If the rest of the 1st round wasn't so crappy in that draft, I might feel worse about it...

Since then, they didn't pick until 64th in 2000 (Filip Novak, since traded to Florida in the Bure deal) 10th in 2001 (Blackburn, which was a good pick until his shoulder mishap) 33rd in 2002 (Lee Falardeau, a pick that continues to boggle the mind but at least he's showing signs of life now) then 12 in 2003 (Jessiman, who has the ability and time to become something good) and of course 6th last year (Montoya, still a good pick but would have been unnecessary if Blackburn hadn't been injured).

They haven't really had any real high draft picks within the top 5 or anything so they could nab the top end talent of drafts...though that's where the mismanagement part comes in. the "win now" resulted in mediocrity when they could have had time to rebuild, get some real high draft picks, and be up and on their way. instead they were stuck outside looking in on the real top talent in the drafts and in some cases without a first rounder at all.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
nyrmessier011 said:
This kid can bring a team to greatness for the next 15 years
Gretzky,Lemieux,Orr,Lafleur,Trottier.Roy,Sawchuk,Richard etc. all needed substantial talent surrounding them to help their respective teams achieve greatness.Crosby will be very lucky to come close to measuring up to any of those players and will definately be unable to bring team greatness all by himself.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
The Rangers had high picks, they traded them . . . .and yes, that's where ineptitude and mismanagement comes in. They were/are very shortsighted as an organization.

And while it pained me as a Cap fan to see some of my favorites shipped out of town, I understand why it had to been done. At some point you have to give up the “now†and plan for the future.

(And yes, I know it’s odd to be both a Ranger and a Cap fan --- I must be a glutton for punishment)

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Deebo said:
this is just for this years draft, subsequent drafts will be based on standings, but as there are no standings for this season, everyone gets a shot.
Take Crosby out of the equation, now what do you do?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
And while it pained me as a Cap fan to see some of my favorites shipped out of town, I understand why it had to been done. At some point you have to give up the “now†and plan for the future.

and that's hopefully what the rangers are doing now...though we're all holding our breath that it will continue. We seem to just now be getting the flow of prospects to NHLers back into the equation after it's been mostly missing for awhile, and hopefully that will continue

(And yes, I know it’s odd to be both a Ranger and a Cap fan --- I must be a glutton for punishment)

well at least the caps have made the playoffs recently and played somewhat good hockey along the way ;)

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Levitate said:
and that's hopefully what the rangers are doing now...though we're all holding our breath that it will continue. We seem to just now be getting the flow of prospects to NHLers back into the equation after it's been mostly missing for awhile, and hopefully that will continue
I'm convinced that Sather has dirty pictures of Dolan . . . . that's the only way he keeps his job.

I do hope that the new CBA forces the Rangers to set long term as well as short term goals. There is something worth a darn in the system now, I'd like to see it make it to NYC.

Levitate said:
well at least the caps have made the playoffs recently and played somewhat good hockey along the way ;)
I guess that depends on your definition of “some what†- - - ;) - - - three playoff misses in six years isn’t good hockey, three times failing to advance past the first round isn’t good hockey. Oh they had their moments - - usually followed by a what the hell moment.

All in all, I’m glad for the rebuild and I’m really looking forward to see what the young’uns can do. I suspect there will be lots of exciting moments – in a scary good and a scary bad sort of way.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
well after seeing the rangers play crap hockey for 95% of the last 7 seasons, even the amount of good hockey the caps played starts looking nice ;)

i like to think the rangers were ready to move in a new direction even without the threat of a capped CBA, but maybe that's just wishing too much...either way, i think we'll see a lot of rookies next year. i'm excited to see what lundqvist can do, though he'll probably start in hartford to get his legs under him. i don't mind watching labarbera get a legitimate shot at the NHL in the meantime...

but it would help a lot for the rangers to get crosby or at least a top 5 pick, which is why the no weighted draft thing annoys me. sure no one really knows how the standings would have shaken out but i think it's very very likely that the teams that regularly win would have still done well and teams like the rangers and caps would have been at the bottom of the heap. if nothing else, i dont' want to see the rangers picking in the late 20's or something because of a crappy system like that. regardless of team rankings being unknown because of no season, no one in the right mind would think the rangers would have done *that* good to earn such a draft spot.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
norrisnick said:
As a Wing fan I don't mind either as we usually draft in the 2nd or 3rd round.

They do have their 1st founder this year though. No matter how they weight the lottery, pretty much everything I've seen says the draft order wil be reversed in the second round, so if we don't get the first couple of picks, I'd rather we stay where we are now and basically get two 1st rounders.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Levitate said:
<<<snipped>>>

if nothing else, i dont' want to see the rangers picking in the late 20's or something because of a crappy system like that. regardless of team rankings being unknown because of no season, no one in the right mind would think the rangers would have done *that* good to earn such a draft spot.

Agreed - - - While the Caps may improve a tiny bit, I don't think they'll be anywhere near the top ten . . . . more like the bottom ten (I thinking bottom five actually).

Like I said, Crosby would be nice, but I want my top five pick dagnabbit!!!!

And that goes for both teams.

I've forgetten, you said you were in the DC area, correct? I was wondering how many Ranger games you got to see. I usually make five or six a year (I plan visits home when the Rangers are in town - though lately I've questioned my wisdom in doing so ;))

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I've forgetten, you said you were in the DC area, correct? I was wondering how many Ranger games you got to see. I usually make five or six a year (I plan visits home when the Rangers are in town)

yeah i'm living in DC now but didn't move here till last August, so obviously i haven't seen any games here yet :D

I lived in new york for a little while but didn't see many games, mainly because i didn't have much money then, heh. but I've also lived in california for awhile so i caught them out there against the ducks and kings a few times.

this year i'm hoping to see a lot more hockey games in general, and we'll see about making it up to NY to see some more ranger games...don't have anyone to stay with up there at the moment and i don't particularly want to drive/fly up there and get a hotel and everything just to see a hockey game.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
HockeyCritter said:
Take Crosby out of the equation, now what do you do?

Crosby shouldn't be (unfortunately, he most definitly is) a factor in the NHL's decision.

The right decision is one ball per team, with or without Crosby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad