Rumor: No weighted draft lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Well I would take a Montreal radio program with more credibility than Fox sports for hockey coverage. And a quote with the word likely doesn't help that.

But I do agree that until someone a little higher on the food chain than a radio report that noone else is getting reports this that there is no reason to believe it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
London Knights said:
Well I would take a Montreal radio program with more credibility than Fox sports for hockey coverage. And a quote with the word likely doesn't help that.

But I do agree that until someone a little higher on the food chain than a radio report that noone else is getting reports this that there is no reason to believe it.

How can you even be sure that this was on a Montreal radio program? Because someone said so? As I pointed out above in my post anyone can say anything, it does not make it true. But even if it proves to be true, it was on a radio show . . . :dunno: . . .big deal. What I do know is that it is not being reported anywhere else, and in fact the only thing that I could find from a source that can be linked says the opposite. I do know that if this were truly a legit rumor it would have been talked of among sources and someone would have put it to print. I also know that rumors like this have been posted in threads in the past and never have panned out or been reported anywhere. As I said, until I see this elsewhere, I consider it to be pretty close to worthless.

Spungo*

Jaded-Fan said:
How can you even be sure that this was on a Montreal radio program? Because someone said so? As I pointed out above in my post anyone can say anything, it does not make it true. But even if it proves to be true, it was on a radio show . . . :dunno: . . .big deal. What I do know is that it is not being reported anywhere else, and in fact the only thing that I could find from a source that can be linked says the opposite. I do know that if this were truly a legit rumor it would have been talked of among sources and someone would have put it to print. I also know that rumors like this have been posted in threads in the past and never have panned out or been reported anywhere. As I said, until I see this elsewhere, I consider it to be pretty close to worthless.

www.eklund.com

Happy?

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Wow, I hope all of this is just speculation or a misunderstanding because having a draft lottery where every team has an equal chance of picking first is ridiculous. How could the NHL possibly justify giving teams like New Jersey, Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, or Tampa Bay the first pick when each team has won a Cup during the last decade at least once?

And I wish people would stop using the size of a team's roster as an indicator of how much they "deserve" the first pick. I remember reading about some of the Bruins management saying that they deserved a better shot at the first pick because they have so few players under contract for next year. If a team only has six or seven players under contract for next season, then that's their problem, not the NHL's. The purpose of drafting in a particular order is to give the weakest teams the highest picks, not the smallest teams.

Using the previous season's draft order, or better yet the cumulative standings over the last three years is the best way to do it. The records of the NHL's thirty teams over the past three years are better indicators of where they are likely to finish next season than some completely random lottery, and this includes the fact that many teams will have very different rosters with all the player movement that is expected to occur once the new CBA is in place. If they're not going to do it this way, they might as well not have a draft and just wait until a full season has been played to determine the order.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Jaded-Fan said:

Reminds me of the scene in Scarface when Tony returned to Miami without Omar because Sosa said he was a stoolie

Frank "Omar is a stoolie because Sosa said he was a stoolie","Who is Sosa"

Spungo*

NYR94 said:
The purpose of drafting in a particular order is to give the weakest teams the highest picks, not the smallest teams.

Exactly. But who are you to say what teams are the strongest and what teams are the weakest? There was no season last year and therefore no way to determine teams 1-30. Half the players in the laugue will be playing for different teams next year, so what happened 3 years ago or 2 years ago doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Like you said, Boston only has, what, 8 players signed? They could end up the strongest team in the league or the weakest depending on how the free agent situation works out. You have absolutely no clue what Boston, or any team, will look like at the start of the 2005-2006 season.

Washington already got it's #1 pick and every bad team already got their top 10 picks. Just because a season is cancelled doesn't mean they should all get to double dip the draft. What heppens if a second season is cancelled? Does Washington get 3 #1 picks just because they finished last in 2004? That's ridiculous. How about if 3 seasons are cancelled, does Washington get the #1 pick for 4 straight years?

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
May be It was already posted or discussed before, but that's my opinion : If Betman couldn't bring weighted lottery, there are zero chances that Betman can create any troubles for big contracts from Detroit, Rangers, Colorado, Toronto, Dallas and Flyers. IMHO.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Kaizer said:
May be It was already posted or discussed before, but that's my opinion : If Betman couldn't bring weighted lottery, there are zero chances that Betman can create any troubles for big contracts from Detroit, Rangers, Colorado, Toronto, Dallas and Flyers. IMHO.
Bettman wasn't able to pull off his lottery idea because only a small minority benefited and the rest of the teams were envious. Bettman will be able to cause trouble for the high payroll teams because only a small minority have those payrolls and the rest of the teams are envious.

Macman

May 15, 2004
What could be fairer than every team having a shot at No. 1? Every team has a first-round pick and nobody knows what would have happened last year if the NHL had played. A straight lottery where everybody has an equal shot at the best prospect to come along in years will help renew interest in a product badly in need of help. Heck, the lottery would probably be more exciting than the games themselves.

I'm kind of mystified by why some people think the report is outrageous. Unless Bettman unilaterally declares a weighted lottery, it makes perfect sense that an equal lottery would win if it was put to a vote among teams. Only those teams who would benefit from a weighted lottery would vote for it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
MontrealCruiser_83 said:
Actually it does. Why would advertising and sponsorship agencies be interested in a star hockey player who unfortunately tops out at page 2 of the sport section on a slow day.

Because in the eyes of many advertising firms, Page 2 in NYC > Page 1 in Columbus.. hell, Page 5 in NYC > Page 1 in Columbus

Lanny MacDonald*

Hilarious! I can't believe that anyone took this seriously. Montreal radio is famous for pulling stuff out of their butts and throwing it at the wall to see what sticks. Sounds like someone got suckered into believing a rumor started by some of the biggest rumor hoaring media on the planet (when it comes to hockey). I will believe this when I see it confirmed by two other sources that are not basing their information on a Montreal radio show. When I see a quote from a league source I will believe this. Until then its just another load of garbage from the talk radio circuit.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Spungo said:
Ha, good point. But the main thing all the pro-weighted lottery people seem to forget is that the teams that existed in 2004 no longer exist. When you lose half your team to free agency due to these remarkable circumstances, it's not fair to seed them for the draft based on the teams they *used* to be rather than the teams they are now. NHL rosters are going to be radically different in 2005.
And if the CBA really causes a team like the Flyers or Leafs to fall 30 spots to finish dead last, they'll be rewarded in the 2006 Draft with a high pick . . . . Using what may happen to determine draft order is counter intuitive. Since the league won’t raise the draft age, the best determination would be to use past results (weighted) to predict likely outcome for the missing season (which would, by the way, have been played under the old CBA) . . . . barring that, throw all the kids on one draft and have at ‘em in June 2006.

And for what it's worth, I don't think the new CBA will decimate teams anywhere as much as some around here like to claim (interesting enough, they only claim it will ruin their teams when it comes to a chance at Crosby).

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
jacketracket said:
Good point.

Columbus has drafted 4th, 8th, 1st (by trade, swapping up from their 3rd), and 8th (by trade, swapping down from their 4th). Not exactly earth-shattering.

Tell us again about some of the personnel movement the Caps made, in finishing low enough to lottery into the Ovechkin sweepstakes.
You mean how they managed to be in last place (or tied for last) before the trades happened? That's last place with Jagr, Gonchar, Bondra et al . . . . .

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
This thread should have "rumor" in the title, so I'm changing it. :)

A few people heard it on the radio, so that's fine, but until it's backed up by a credible website, it's just speculation.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
The Iconoclast said:
Hilarious! I can't believe that anyone took this seriously. Montreal radio is famous for pulling stuff out of their butts and throwing it at the wall to see what sticks. Sounds like someone got suckered into believing a rumor started by some of the biggest rumor hoaring media on the planet (when it comes to hockey). I will believe this when I see it confirmed by two other sources that are not basing their information on a Montreal radio show. When I see a quote from a league source I will believe this. Until then its just another load of garbage from the talk radio circuit.

well... common sense suggests that this is the way it is going to go. about 5 teams were going to be supportive of the weighted team (i didn't do the math, but i assume it is a small number) because they will do better than 1-ball each formula, everyone else would want the 1-ball formula because their % will be better...

has to go before the BOG's where those 1-ball folks get to share their thoughts.

shOOt_the_mOOn

Jul 12, 2004
One question and one statement on the up coming draft (regardless of how it happens):

Question: How would past compensation draft picks get sorted out?

Statement: I don't see where an equal opportunity draft would hurt any team in the New CBA NHL. Big market teams took a bath for the sake of the smaller market teams to get the new CBA. Smaller market teams will make out better with a salary cap. It's about give and take.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Question: How would past compensation draft picks get sorted out?

Very interesting question. The compensatory picks were based on free agents lost. Although the season wasn't played some of the free agents signed last summer must have contracts which extend beyond one season.

I could see the compensatory picks being skipped for this upcoming draft and any that need to be awarded for last year's free agents added to the following draft.

Edit: As I remember, there were numerous unsigned free agents last summer (i.e. Kovalev) so tough to award a comp pick when they could still re-sign with the same team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
HockeyCritter said:
You mean how they managed to be in last place (or tied for last) before the trades happened? That's last place with Jagr, Gonchar, Bondra et al . . . . .
That fair that they where having a bad year, but that happens to a lot of teams..

There are two sides two every story though .. Its never a good plan just because you are having a bad season to destroy the team .. They could also have made a trade or two in an effort to right the ship or changed the coach ..

In keepiong in line with this tread .. The Caps for financial purposes rid themselves of all their big contracts on big market teams and now in turn the League wants to punish those teams indirectly via a cap system for helping out the struggling teams.. ie . Detroit has Robert Lang now under a big $$ deal and may have to let Stevie Yzerman retire as a cap casulaty..

Had the Caps kept all their players and had a off year and received Ovechkin as a result they certainly would not be a weak team on paper like you are making them out to be now in the new CBA ..

They did control their own destiny as a direct result of their own actions, much different then a recent expansion team Columbus, Atlanta, Nashville etc who are starting from the bottom up .. That I understand about giving them building blocks for the future ..

Same with the NYR .. The had the highest payroll and worst results .. Not a team that deserves to be rewarded for failure ..

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Chili said:
Very interesting question. The compensatory picks were based on free agents lost. Although the season wasn't played some of the free agents signed last summer must have contracts which extend beyond one season.

I could see the compensatory picks being skipped for this upcoming draft and any that need to be awarded for last year's free agents added to the following draft.
I agree .. comp picks were only handed out if you lost a UFA , but never replaced him .. Now many teams are down to a few players only .. That UFA spending ahead should wipe that out by nature anyways under the old rules ..

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
RangerBoy said:
Every team has their own pick

I wonder if there's any coinsidence that it worked out that way. I know NYR has 3 or 4 2nd round picks from there trade deadline moves. I'm suprised every team has there own first rounder for this years draft. Did some teams know this was going to happen so they didn't want to trade there 3% chance at Crosby?

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Maybe "someone" was just repeating something that was said on the radio, but because the station doesn't archive its interviews, they can't provide a link? Others heard it too you know. :)

And of course it hasn't panned out yet. No scenario for the draft has panned out yet. I'm not sure why you're putting so much stock in the print media. It's just a rumour from them as well. Quite frankly, I'm willing to believe John Muckler when he says what the scenario will be before I believe some guy who reports a rumour in his column with a "sources say" because he's trying to sell newspapers.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I think the #1 reason every team still has their first rounder is that there hasn't been a trade in 9+ months. Plus the uncertainty of the future that existed prior to that.

Lanny MacDonald*

Jester said:
well... common sense suggests that this is the way it is going to go. about 5 teams were going to be supportive of the weighted team (i didn't do the math, but i assume it is a small number) because they will do better than 1-ball each formula, everyone else would want the 1-ball formula because their % will be better...

has to go before the BOG's where those 1-ball folks get to share their thoughts.

Oh, I disagree greatly. The one-ball scenario has likely very little support outside of those teams that have been perennial playoff teams over the last decade. Philadelphia, Toronto, St. Louis, Dallas, Colorado, Detroit, etc. (the usual suspects) are the ones likely pushing hard for a one ball system. All the other teams that have been bottom feeders over the past decade are likely very much in favor of any system that gives them an edge in getting a shot at Crosby.

In the end, isn't that what all of this is about? Its a show of all the teams indiviual greed and desires to get a leg up on the competition. Every team will take every advantage they can get, even if they don't deserve it. Frankly, none of the teams that have been consistent playoff teams deserves a shot at Crosby. None of the teams that have drafted first overall in the past five years deserves a shot. The teams that have struggled to make the playoffs or miss consistently are the teams that should get a shot at Crosby. That is fair and that is what should happen. The concept of Philadelphia having the same chance of getting Crosby as Columbus is a joke. If Philadelphia really wants to play that game and have a shot at Crosby, then play by the rules and allow Carter and Richards to be put back into the draft or become UFA's. Teams knew the rules prior to the lockout and they should live by them. If you want to chage the rules now, then the rules that were in place then stand. You can't have it both ways.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Im happy with this, the big market team lost a whole bunch of money pandering to the small market teams. The least they could do is give everyone an equal chance, although it would kill me if he ended up on the Leafs or Devils.

They must draw the 30th pick 1st and count down until you have 2 balls left and one of them is going to get Crosby! The tension would be insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad