Rumor: Rumor is Petterson wants out....

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Simon Edvinsson, F Elmer Soderblom, 2023 1st rdp(lottery protected), 2024 1st rdp.

For

Elias Pettersson.

Thats what I think it'll cost. It's a good debate if you pay the cost to get a guy like Pettersson.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Thats what I think it'll cost. It's a good debate if you pay the cost to get a guy like Pettersson.

That probably would be the cost and I don’t want to pay it. Like I said, I don’t think that Pettersson’s 100 point pace carries over to Detroit. He’d be closer to Larkin’s numbers.

A future top pair D + a future top 6/top 9 winger + magic beans in a very good draft for a guy that will get 70ish points in Detroit and be bad defensively. No thanks.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
As much I would absolutely love Pettersson on Detroit I am not giving up Edvinsson in a package for him. Kasper absolutely and some other pieces.
While our defense is better this year it still has a long way to go to being a contender level defense.
Edvinsson plays a giant part in that if he continues to develop and quite frankly so does Wallinder.
Yes I realize you are going to have to give up a lot to get Pettersson but Edvinsson and Wallinder are a big no for me.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
we would have to give up AT LEAST 1 of Kasper or Edvinsson (getting a C back id do Kasper)
Wed have to give up a 1st either this year or next
Theyd want another prospect or pick too

2024 1st, Marco Kasper, Cross Hanas + 2023 STL 2nd is most we could afford to give up which honestly for EP40 I would do 100%

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The resources depletion going the other way in order to get Petterson would essentially restart the rebuild. I don't discount Yzerman working magic on a trade but its not realistic to expect it.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The issue I have is, I'd rather have the player that Kasper is projecting to be than what EP is.

This.

Kasper just put up 3 points today and absolutely tilts the ice. He doesn’t have the hands that EP has, but that’s ok. He’s like a better playmaking version of Larkin.

I guess I'm just less confident he hits that projection. I'd love to be wrong, but Kasper is still very young and very much a question mark in my book.

Go watch some SHL hockey.

Kasper is the guy that will get deployed to shut down EP in a playoff series and succeed.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
It's like Z vs either Sedin.

And 100 times out of 100 I take Z over either Sedin.

I want a guy that shows up big in big games. Not one that blows up against bad teams but isn’t clutch against the good ones.

Elias Pettersson 2022-23 Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

Just a PPG against the east And -9. That’s what we’d see more if he were in Detroit.

EP has done a great job of blowing up the weakest division in hockey with 25 points in 12 games against the Pacific. 2 5 point nights against teams that aren’t great defensively.

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

Pettersson happy in Vancouver, wants to sign long-term deal with Canucks​

Rob Williams
|
Dec 16 2022, 5:41 pm

I think the rumor is probably false, but I mean we hear that sort of thing all the time.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Overrated player with oversized head, don't touch it Stevie!

hugehead.jpeg

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
And I sincerely HOPE that SHL success fully translates into NHL success. But it's far from a guarantee.

People have been telling me on this board I’m too optimistic and saying that SHL success doesn’t matter when I talked about Mo Seider and Berggren. I was right about these guys being successes, and I’m confident I’ll be just as right about Kasper.

Right now Kasper has exactly as many points as Raymond in the SHL in his D+1 while being far more impactful in all 3 zones. He’s an elite skater with a ton of hockey smarts. The way Kasper plays the game will translate over.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
It would cost so much to get the big head, there is so many other players you could get for the same price, pls mr Yzerman don't touch this shit.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
People have been telling me on this board I’m too optimistic and saying that SHL success doesn’t matter when I talked about Mo Seider and Berggren. I was right about these guys being successes, and I’m confident I’ll be just as right about Kasper.

Right now Kasper has exactly as many points as Raymond in the SHL in his D+1 while being far more impactful in all 3 zones. He’s an elite skater with a ton of hockey smarts. The way Kasper plays the game will translate over.
You could say that Kasper has the CEILING of a Mario Lemieux that plays Selke-level defense. And you could be over the moon with how he's developing thus far, and I'd be happy you're that encouraged, and I'd join you in my excited anticipation for what we hope to see pan out.

But being a safe bet and being a guarantee still aren't the same. Until the kid is ready for the big club - and likely takes a couple seasons to settle in once he's here - it's all (highly educated) guesses.

Geek out to your heart's content. Nothing wrong with that. But it's not like Yzerman already has Kasper penciled into the lineup for 2024, and is already making (or completely ruling out) trades accordingly. Even with what may be considered a high probability, there are contingencies and other options being prepared for.

Saying that Kasper is on your no-trade list is fine.
Saying he's a lock to be as good or better than guys already scoring PPG in the NHL is another thing altogether.

Reactions: Oddbob

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
And 100 times out of 100 I take Z over either Sedin.

I want a guy that shows up big in big games. Not one that blows up against bad teams but isn’t clutch against the good ones.

Elias Pettersson 2022-23 Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

Just a PPG against the east And -9. That’s what we’d see more if he were in Detroit.

EP has done a great job of blowing up the weakest division in hockey with 25 points in 12 games against the Pacific. 2 5 point nights against teams that aren’t great defensively.

+/- in 20 sample size doesn't mean much. canucks goalies are under 0.88 sv % against the east. can't do much if the goalie can't stop the puck. plus that D is horrendous. canucks xGA is much better (and best of all canucks forwards) when petterson is on the ice vs. when he isn't. there is more evidence to suggest that petterson shows up in big games vs. when he doesn't. his playoff ppg has been higher than his regular season pgg in the NHL, SHL and hockeyallsvenskan.

and in comparison to kasper (who is hair above 0.5 ppg in SHL), petterson was above ppg in SHL his D+1 season.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
+/- in 20 sample size doesn't mean much. canucks goalies are under 0.88 sv % against the east. can't do much if the goalie can't stop the puck. plus that D is horrendous. canucks xGA is much better (and best of all canucks forwards) when petterson is on the ice vs. when he isn't. there is more evidence to suggest that petterson shows up in big games vs. when he doesn't. his playoff ppg has been higher than his regular season pgg in the NHL, SHL and hockeyallsvenskan.

and in comparison to kasper (who is hair above 0.5 ppg in SHL), petterson was above ppg in SHL his D+1 season.
I dont think a single poster here, even those of us who have been pumping Kasper's tires prior to him being drafted, has any notion or expectation that Kasper will ever be a point producer like Petterson. However, he will be cost controlled for at least 6 years and is absolutely someone who you win with in the playoffs. He will provide sandpaper and points, which will be more valuable to the team that Yzerman is building compared to Petterson's point production and burdensome next contract. And it's not just Kasper, it will be him, another top prospect, and multiple draft picks. A significant setback for someone who always seems to be miscontent with his situation.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
There's some terrible takes in this thread.

Not wanting to give up Kasper or Berggren for EP. A guy many people slot in as a middle 6 center and a middle 6 winger for an over PPG 24 year old first line center? Take it, block Vancouver's number and laugh about it.

Slotting EP behind Larkin in a hypothetical lineup. EP is already head and shoulders better than Larkin.

Thinking that Raymond and Veleno are a bridge too far (their career points combined will be less than EPs when its all said and done)

Reality check: EP would instantly be the best player in Detroit the second he arrived. Anything short of Seider, Edvinson and this year's first should be on the table.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
There's some terrible takes in this thread.

Not wanting to give up Kasper or Berggren for EP. A guy many people slot in as a middle 6 center and a middle 6 winger for an over PPG 24 year old first line center? Take it, block Vancouver's number and laugh about it.

Slotting EP behind Larkin in a hypothetical lineup. EP is already head and shoulders better than Larkin.

Thinking that Raymond and Veleno are a bridge too far (their career points combined will be less than EPs when its all said and done)

Reality check: EP would instantly be the best player in Detroit the second he arrived. Anything short of Seider, Edvinson and this year's first should be on the table.
That's the point, it will require one or both of Kasper/Berggren plus Ed, a 1st and probably another roster player just to get Vancouver to listen for more than 30 seconds on the phone. It's too much, plus EP is going to want minimum 10 million on his next contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad