RUMOR: Deal possibly done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
BobMckenzie said:
Spacelobster must have better sources than me. The signals I'm reading do not suggest a deal is done or close to done. Not to say a deal can't be done at some point, but logic suggests they're going to need a lot longer to actually reach an agreement. I mean a lot longer. You would have to be naive to think that Gary and Bob in one nine hour meeting, less than that if you count the dinner break, would agree on a new CBA. No one knows for sure exactly where it's at and we'll find out soon enough. The encouraging signs are players publicly saying a cap might be okay, that linkage is now evil incarnate. That might, and I say might, form the basis of some negotiation but let's assume the NHL decides they can live without linkage, which has been the motherhood issue in all of this, how long do you think it would take for the two sides just to crunch the numbers on an agreeable cap, to say nothing of salary arb, QOs, ELS, profit sharing etc etc etc...and remember, that's only if the NHL decided to drop linkage as the basis for an agreement, which many would suggest is a real longshot. The pressure of losing the season is obviously pushing the two sides together, and it may be that we're just beginning the real negotiating process, but if you can determine out of all that whether that means there's going to be a deal or it blows up sky high, well, you're a better man than me.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

*covers ears and closes eyes*

La, La, La, La, La, La

I'm not listening!!!!!

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Carl O'Steen said:
We wouldn't want Heals on these boards anyways.

What a dope.

Hey Bob, pass that along to Dopey the Dope... people don't like him.

Somehow I think he already knows.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
Healy has a personality to play on TSN. He is like the Don Cherry of TSN. I'm sure he isn't a bad guy to talk to.
He has the personality of a rock.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
KOVALEV10 said:
Hey Bob, you personally.. do you think there's a chance there will be a season?

There's a chance. I've been pretty pessimistic all along, and so have many of the key people on both sides, and I think there's a long way to go and there's a very good chance it won't get done, but I'm sensing for the very first time in the whole process some sense of urgency, maybe even a little panic, from both sides, if not at the top, then on the part of their constituents. It's just an opinion, but I get the weird feeling the process is just about to begin and having said that, I wouldn't be surprised of the whole thing still blows up. But to answer your question, yeah, there's a chance. That's pretty friggin wishy washy but it's the truth, I feel it could go either way. Now, if I had to lay hard earned cash on a bet, I'm still learning towards no season but that would be a wager I'd gladly pay up on and be more than happy to lose. We'll see.

KOVALEV10*

Jason MacIsaac said:
Cherry has the personality of a bigger rock then with many more cracks in it.

I think I would use both them rocks to throw at Goodenow and Bettman :teach:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
BobMckenzie said:
There's a chance. I've been pretty pessimistic all along, and so have many of the key people on both sides, and I think there's a long way to go and there's a very good chance it won't get done, but I'm sensing for the very first time in the whole process some sense of urgency, maybe even a little panic, from both sides, if not at the top, then on the part of their constituents. It's just an opinion, but I get the weird feeling the process is just about to begin and having said that, I wouldn't be surprised of the whole thing still blows up. But to answer your question, yeah, there's a chance. That's pretty friggin wishy washy but it's the truth, I feel it could go either way. Now, if I had to lay hard earned cash on a bet, I'm still learning towards no season but that would be a wager I'd gladly pay up on and be more than happy to lose. We'll see.
I think both sides are feeling the pressure of losing playoff revenues, I think Toronto makes 2 million for every home game. That isn't the type of money you want to throw away.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
We actually know this is Bob for sure not just some guy yankin our chain? sorry if this has been asked. All this excitemtn has me on the edge (well.... that and a couple tests I have tomorrow :( )

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
thome_26 said:
We actually know this is Bob for sure not just some guy yankin our chain? sorry if this has been asked. All this excitemtn has me on the edge (well.... that and a couple tests I have tomorrow :( )

How many confirmations do you need?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I, for one, Welcome our Professional Hockey Journalist overlord.

Although if Pierre McGuire finds out about this place, you're done for.

Firefly

Mar 9, 2004
Mohawk Valley
I'm off the bed, still thinking there will be no season. But if I wake up and there's good news, hooray. Not counting on it though. Damn it!

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
KOVALEV10 said:
Ok now in all seriousness I just remembered that my nephew has his share of reliable sources.. I think I'm gonna try to call him and try to find something out.

Call him now, please. Who cares about sleep, when this lockout is looking over our heads. :lol:

KOVALEV10*

Jason MacIsaac said:
I think both sides are feeling the pressure of losing playoff revenues, I think Toronto makes 2 million for every home game. That isn't the type of money you want to throw away.

Yes however seeing as they already lost like 3/4 of the season and much more then 2 million bucks I wouldn't think they would care less but still.

Oh and I just got off the phone with my nephew.. the guy always has his share of reliable sources about these meetings and rumours and stuff. He said that he's heard from a reliable source that there is a chance that the lockout might be resolved but its nothing to get your hopes up on.

Man I hate this lockout :cry:

rwilson99

eSabre said:
http://www.sabresinsider.com/

This may not be an acceptable source, but can anyone in the Tampa Bay area confirm?

Close... It looks like sabresinsider is confusing a good feeling with a done deal. Positive News though.

TBO said:
With the midnight oil apparently burning brightly, Lightning player representative Tim Taylor believes it could lead to a deal being reached, similar to the situation during the lockout 10 years ago, which ended after nearly 24 hours of negotiations.

``I went out and did a school visit and I just had a feeling that today was going to be a go, that we were going to get back on the ice,'' Taylor said. ``I find it puzzling that they would be meeting all night and not come out with something. I think this is it, that they will come out with a deal.
http://bolts.tbo.com/lightning/MGBOW9WWR4E.html

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Jason MacIsaac said:
Healy has a personality to play on TSN. He is like the Don Cherry of TSN. I'm sure he isn't a bad guy to talk to.
You've obviously never seen "Rooming With Roenick."

silver_made*

BobMckenzie said:

Bob, you are a super objective guy and have the respect of every HF member (which is an AMAZING accomplishment), so with that said...

Why don't you bust into tomorrow's meeting, tell both sides how it is, and cinch up an agreement for them? I can't see them laughing at you. Many speak poorly about fischler, brooks, strachan, garrioch, etc., but I have never heard 'McKenzie bashing.'

Bob, you have to save the NHL, dammit!

Balej20*

monster_bertuzzi said:
What the? Is there confirmation that Taylor said these words? Or is it more ''Eklund'' spiel?

The misrepresented the first thing they posted. But the quotes on him are true. All he was doing was giving an opinion.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Tricolore#20 said:
This is feeling like the election night.... Waiting for Ohio.

Election night for the Kerry campaign more like it..... seeing that he was losing the battle later on and that although there's a shred of hope.... the smart money isn't on him.

(Kerry equaling a resolution of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad