ROY: Any chance Malkin doesn't win if he comes over?

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Yes ... I don't know what to say more ... yes maybe he will not win the Calder. I remember last year when Crosby was THE SURE WINNER of the calder. The NHL was going to give it to him even if he didn't deserve it.

Murph1844

Apr 21, 2006
Shea Weber cant win it because he played in 25 games last year for the Preds. Another player who has a shot is Kessel for the Bruins because if he decides to sign he is going to play on 2nd line, otherwise he will be back on the Gophers next year.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
Yes ... I don't know what to say more ... yes maybe he will not win the Calder. I remember last year when Crosby was THE SURE WINNER of the calder. The NHL was going to give it to him even if he didn't deserve it.

What? He didn't even win it. I'm confused by this comment.

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
Dang, i was hoping weber would be considered a rookie. I guess either Kessel or Radulov could be sloted in there in the 5th spot.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Radu is my choice for that spot... but Wolski would also be a good choice... so I guess that with all that competition, it's far from a done deal even if Malkin comes to the NHL next year

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Hudler FTW!! :sarcasm:

And for the serious answer, if he doesn't play well enough... absolutely he might not win. These things aren't handed out on the basis of potential.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Of course there is a chance...

As someone alluded to above, Crosby was supposed to be the surefire winner last year (conspiracy theorists pledging his victory regardless of any other performances).

Venom_17

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Kopitar might not even make the Kings' lineup to start the season. O'Sullivan has a shot, but I believe that will only come to fruition if Malkin gets hurt.

vbet*

Malkin will win if he plays, teamed with Crosby is a no brainer.

I could get 70 points playing with Crosby next year.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Malkin will win if he plays, teamed with Crosby is a no brainer.

I could get 70 points playing with Crosby next year.

Even that is not sure...

He might end up as the center of the second line and who knows how he'll adapt to life in North America. I too think he has all the tools... but it's sooo far from a sure thing

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Crosby had the second best rookie season in a decade...Ovechkin simply had the best rookie season in a decade. One of them was going to win, that much was guaranteed. It was never going to be Crosby only.

Malkin, if he comes over, isn't going to have a player near Ovechkin-level competing with him.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
There is always a chance. Remember how Kovalchuk got hurt and lost the Calder to (the equally amazing) Heatley? Well, if Malkin gets hurt early in the season, he likely won't win.

However, skill-wise he looks like an Ovechkin/Crosby type of prospect. I absolutely loved him at the Olympics. If he plays most of the season, I can't see anyone winning the Calder away from him.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i think it will be a race between o'sullivan and malkin. maybe like the race between crosby and ovechkin. but i dont think any of them will reach 100 points this season maybe around 70-80 for them both.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
i think it will be a race between o'sullivan and malkin. maybe like the race between crosby and ovechkin. but i dont think any of them will reach 100 points this season maybe around 70-80 for them both.

I too think that the calder winner will have around 70-80 pts and therefore I think that many player can reach that plateau.... among other Malkin, OSullivan, Brulé, Wolski and Radulov comes to mind.

I don't say thay'll all reach that plateau... but I think under the right circonstances they all have the potential to... So yes there's definetly a chance for that

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
and then there is the guys you didnt even think about. like this season. prucha and svatos had great seasons. svatos had 32 goals and 18 assists in 61 games. and prucha had 30 goals and 17 assists in 68 games. but they where both injured at the end of the season. but they still had exellent rookie seasons. i cant wait to see who will surprise this season.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Do the Pens play Calgary this year? I'm already giddy iun anticipation of Phaneuf vs. Ovechkin, but I cannot wait to see if Phaneuf can lay out Malkin.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There is always a chance. Remember how Kovalchuk got hurt and lost the Calder to (the equally amazing) Heatley? Well, if Malkin gets hurt early in the season, he likely won't win.

However, skill-wise he looks like an Ovechkin/Crosby type of prospect. I absolutely loved him at the Olympics. If he plays most of the season, I can't see anyone winning the Calder away from him.

No offenses to the Wolski & O'Sullivans of the world, but there is no other prospect in Malkin's league entering the league this year. Kovalchuk got the hype, but as you said Heatley was just as amazing. Malkin isn't going to have that player at his back all the way waiting for something to happen.

If Malkin plays in the NHL and is able to have a fairly good injury free season(around the 65 games Kovalchuk played as a rookie) he'll win the Calder with little competition. If he doesn't play in the NHL or has injury issues it's anyone's guess as to who wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad