ROY: Any chance Malkin doesn't win if he comes over?

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Heatley was a second overall pick, it's not like he came outta nowhere. If Kovalchuk didn't get hurt Kovalchuk would have won the Calder.

And there will be second overall picks in this years crop as well.

Kovalchuk's injury is what handed the Calder to Heatley on a platter, but, he was hanging in there, and had a shot to do it on his own.

Malkin is by far the favourite, but, the Calder race is always erratic. What we saw last year was simply amazing, and, I don't think you can ever count on seeing rookies achieving anywhere near that level when they come in. Every year, there are dark horses.

Goaltending is always the biggest variable. All it takes is a rookie getting an opportunity due to injury, and then getting on a hot streak, and winning the starters job. Lundqvist wasn't high on the radar last year when talking the Calder, yet, he wasn't that far off in the end.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Alexander Daigle was nothing like Malkin. No one compares to him for the Calder race. If he does not get hurt he will win hands down. He may even win the art ross or hart trophy.
Crosby was no sure fire winner last year. In fact, I recall many experts saying Ovechkin would take it in the end. AO was older and in a better position to win.

My prediction is this Malkin 82 GP 55 G 60 A 115 Points

:teach: :clap:

Whoa! I really like Malkin but come on, 55 goals, 115 points, a possible Art Ross and Hart trophy? Have you ever seen Malkin play? He's more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. I'd say 60 assists is possible for him but 55 goals in his first season is absurd. He isn't the goal scorer Ovechkin is, not even close.

I think Malkin could average a PPG. I would be thrilled with 80 points to go along with strong defensive play.

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
Malkin will not win if he doesn't have a good season. They don't just give out the Calder based on who he is.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Do the Pens play Calgary this year? I'm already giddy iun anticipation of Phaneuf vs. Ovechkin, but I cannot wait to see if Phaneuf can lay out Malkin.

It'll be funny to see Malikn walk around Phaneuf like a pilon just like Crosby did last year. :sarcasm:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Heatley was a second overall pick, it's not like he came outta nowhere. If Kovalchuk didn't get hurt Kovalchuk would have won the Calder.

And Patrik Stefan was a first overall pick, what's your point? It's not that no one expected him to do well, it's that no one expected him to do as well as he did and beat out Kovalchuk for the Calder. Similarly, there are players like O'Sullivan and Wolski, among others, who are expected to do well, but they could surprise and do better than expected.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Alexander Daigle was nothing like Malkin. No one compares to him for the Calder race. If he does not get hurt he will win hands down. He may even win the art ross or hart trophy.
Crosby was no sure fire winner last year. In fact, I recall many experts saying Ovechkin would take it in the end. AO was older and in a better position to win.

My prediction is this Malkin 82 GP 55 G 60 A 115 Points

:teach: :clap:

Daigle was thought to be THE Next One. In his final Q season he has over 2,5 PPG and he wasn't even trying. They're was even rumor at the time that Ottawa might have lost on purpose just to get a chance to draft him (thatefore the modern day lottery). And you all know the rest of the story. Of course there not at all the same kind of players and Malkin's attitude is probably far better than daigle... but the point his that, there's no sure thing... and there's no way he gets 55 goals this year... specially if he plays on the second line (wich is a definite possibility).

These number would have put him in front of Ovechkin and Crosby last year... So nyou really seriously think he's better than both:eek: :shakehead :banghead:

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And there will be second overall picks in this years crop as well.

Kovalchuk's injury is what handed the Calder to Heatley on a platter, but, he was hanging in there, and had a shot to do it on his own.

Malkin is by far the favourite, but, the Calder race is always erratic. What we saw last year was simply amazing, and, I don't think you can ever count on seeing rookies achieving anywhere near that level when they come in. Every year, there are dark horses.

Goaltending is always the biggest variable. All it takes is a rookie getting an opportunity due to injury, and then getting on a hot streak, and winning the starters job. Lundqvist wasn't high on the radar last year when talking the Calder, yet, he wasn't that far off in the end.

1. Malkin is, as you say, the prohibitive favorite and it is not even near close.
2. Last year really is not a great example because of more than what was accomplished by Ovechkin and Crosby, but more so because Ovechkin and Crosby were always seen as in the same tier of potential generational talent type players. If Crosby had an edge it was not a big one. This year is far different. Malkin is seen as potentially in that potential generational talent tier as well. One could honestly say and not be laughed at that a year from now the possibility exists that you might not trade Ovechkin for Malkin straight up (by position more than anything else, center over wing all things being equal). Pick any other player coming out next year and try saying that and not laughing. The others? Potentially very good players are coming out next year but nothing close to that type of player. No guarentees, but as far as odds go, it is:

Malkin

Everyone else.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
This is time for my homer moment of the week:

Guillaume Latendresse will make the Habs, play with Koivu and Higgins, then he'll score 90 points and win the Calder.

Nearly impossible, but this is what I WANT to happen... :yo:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
As a Habs fan as well, I'll tell you right away... stop dreaming in public:innocent:

Dreams are so cool, they give us hope! Don't want to insult anybody but my wishful thinking is as good as everyone else, who thoughts guys like Drury, Gomez, Jackman and Raycroft were gonna win the Calder? But, my wishful thinking stays a wishful thinking 'cause I really DON'T think it will actually happen. But, hey, predictions are for fun, aren't they?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
1. Malkin is, as you say, the prohibitive favorite and it is not even near close.
2. Last year really is not a great example because of more than what was accomplished by Ovechkin and Crosby, but more so because Ovechkin and Crosby were always seen as in the same tier of potential generational talent type players. If Crosby had an edge it was not a big one. This year is far different. Malkin is seen as potentially in that potential generational talent tier as well. One could honestly say and not be laughed at that a year from now the possibility exists that you might not trade Ovechkin for Malkin straight up (by position more than anything else, center over wing all things being equal). Pick any other player coming out next year and try saying that and not laughing. The others? Potentially very good players are coming out next year but nothing close to that type of player. No guarentees, but as far as odds go, it is:

Malkin

Everyone else.

I think a lot of PITT fans have gone past counting the chickens, and they're road tripping to KFC!

Malkin (if he comes over) will undoubtably be the favorite to win the Calder. I think that there are a TON of other great candidates (Toivunen, Wolski, Radulov, O'Sullivan, Shremp, etc) and to completely discount there chances as you seem to have done is simply total homerism.

Until last year, very few rookies came in and made an immediate impact. From what little I've seen, Malkin is a great playmaker and defensive player. Unless Malkin is as good as a rookie as some INSANELY optimistic posters seem to think (55g & 115 pts), I have a hard time projecting him to greater than PPG number with his likely linemates. (BTW - I hope I'm wrong!) If that's the case, there will be other serious contender for the Calder.

Before last year - almost everyone had engraved Crosby's name on the trophy - and he didn't get it either. I just think it's silly to assume that Malkin is going to absolutely dominate right from the get go, because that is SUCH a rare occurance.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Dreams are so cool, they give us hope! Don't want to insult anybody but my wishful thinking is as good as everyone else, who thoughts guys like Drury, Gomez, Jackman and Raycroft were gonna win the Calder? But, my wishful thinking stays a wishful thinking 'cause I really DON'T think it will actually happen. But, hey, predictions are for fun, aren't they?

RIGHT ON!!!!!

At least you have the lucidity to say that there's a wishfull part in it... and actually you almost got me dreaming too...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think a lot of PITT fans have gone past counting the chickens, and they're road tripping to KFC!

Malkin (if he comes over) will undoubtably be the favorite to win the Calder. I think that there are a TON of other great candidates (Toivunen, Wolski, Radulov, O'Sullivan, Shremp, etc) and to completely discount there chances as you seem to have done is simply total homerism.

Until last year, very few rookies came in and made an immediate impact. From what little I've seen, Malkin is a great playmaker and defensive player. Unless Malkin is as good as a rookie as some INSANELY optimistic posters seem to think (55g & 115 pts), I have a hard time projecting him to greater than PPG number with his likely linemates. (BTW - I hope I'm wrong!) If that's the case, there will be other serious contender for the Calder.

Before last year - almost everyone had engraved Crosby's name on the trophy - and he didn't get it either. I just think it's silly to assume that Malkin is going to absolutely dominate right from the get go, because that is SUCH a rare occurance.

Please. Crosby had an edge going into last year but Ovechkin hardly came out of left field to win it. Both were always seen as in an elite tier of prospects among themselves going into the year, although a handful of others were actually seen as fairly close and indeed gave the two of them a run for their money. It was just that kind of year for prospects last year. Aside from Malkin though, there are no Phaneufs even this year, at least going into the year and the view right now. Malkin is exactly 100 thousand percent where Ovechkin was last year, at least as far as hype and regard going into the year. Granted he still needs to prove that hype justified, but right now I stand by what I wrote above as far as the percieved gap between the various players and Malkin as prospects.

atreyu1488

Jan 18, 2006
another russian in the running?

What about the Sens, Kaigorodov...especially playing on a team that fires on all cylinders, does he have a shot too if that russian transfer gets signed???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad